Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hazards of Belief

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

fran17 wrote: »
    Sorry but that literally makes no sense.Your accusing me of being selective because I selected examples to prove my point in relation to the myth of the "dark ages" :confused:
    And in relation to Newton,his metaphor was used precisely as originally quoted by Bernard of Chartres.Bernard of Chartres being one of the leading scholars of the cathedral school of Chartres in the eleventh and twelfth century.Founded by the catholic church through bishop Fulbert and producing some of the finest scholastic minds of its time.

One of the reasons I say you are being selective is that you don't tell the whole story - for example ,Copernicus waited until the end of his life to publish for fear controversy and he was right . Though it was delayed in coming , it did come and the Catholic Church opposed his views and Galileo for expressing them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

marienbad wrote: »
    Similarly if you extracted Dublin from your study the IQ would be even lower in the remainder

Someone needed to say it :pac: :pac:

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Furthermore as far as I am aware this result is quite common in all areas of high and long term immigration or migration, as the best and brightest are usually the ones to leave . But it might be only as far as London
    The "brain drain" is one effect. Another equally valid effect arises from the fact that most people don't want to emigrate. Therefore the most resourceful ones may survive and be successful, and stay on, in a Darwinian type selection.
    Not many of us alive today is the direct descendant of someone who died in the famine. There were people who died then, and people who emigrated, and people who survived. Maybe the survivors were smarter, luckier, more resourceful, or more ruthless. Or maybe all of those.
    Similarly if you extracted Dublin from your study the IQ would be even lower in the remainder , and if you extracted London Berlin of NY from their hinterland the same would happen .
    Again this is unsupported by evidence. It may, or may not, be true that city slickers are smarter than country bumpkins.
    Like in the book, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, it was said that humans considered themselves to be more intelligent than dolphins because they had built machines and lived in great cities, while dolphins had done nothing except mess about in the water. But the dolphins considered themselves to be more intelligent than humans, for exactly the same reasons :D

What if I told you that environment, not genetics, was the prime factor in someone's intelligence, which in turn isn't just restricted to IQ?
    You'd then have to cite your evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

One of the reasons I say you are being selective is that you don't tell the whole story - for example ,Copernicus waited until the end of his life to publish for fear controversy and he was right . Though it was delayed in coming , it did come and the Catholic Church opposed his views and Galileo for expressing them .
    Copernicus refrained from publishing his works until later years,not because of fear of censure from the Catholic Church,but out of fear of ridicule from colleagues.At that time the geocentric theory was the view of scientists in the main.Martin Luther condemned the heliocentric theory.
    Voltaire spoke of Galileo "Groaning away his days in the prisons of the inquisitions".An utter lie as he never spent one day in prison and it's worth knowing the inquisitions never banned his works either.Galileo fell foul of the Pope due to his breathtaking arrogance and duplicity.His implying of Pope Urban VIII as the character Simplicio is what got him in difficulty.

Copernicus refrained from publishing his works until later years,not because of fear of censure from the Catholic Church,but out of fear of ridicule from colleagues.At that time the geocentric theory was the view of scientists in the main.Martin Luther condemned the heliocentric theory.
    Voltaire spoke of Galileo "Groaning away his days in the prisons of the inquisitions".An utter lie as he never spent one day in prison and it's worth knowing the inquisitions never banned his works either.Galileo fell foul of the Pope due to his breathtaking arrogance and duplicity.His implying of Pope Urban VIII as the character Simplicio is what got him in difficulty.

Again just more selectivity and brazen at that -

At the instance of Roger Boscovich, the Catholic Church's 1758 Index of Prohibited Books omitted the general prohibition of works defending heliocentrism,[117] but retained the specific prohibitions of the original uncensored versions of De revolutionibus and Galileo's Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems. Those prohibitions were finally dropped from the 1835 Index

Next you'll be telling us the Inquisition killed anyone , it was the secular authorities that did it .

And what is breath-taking is that you think Galileo was arrogant and not the Pope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Galileo was condemned by the inquisition for supporting the theories of heliocentrism. He was forced to recant and was held under house arrest. Until he died.

But things improved:
    The Church at the time of Galileo kept much more closely to reason than did Galileo himself, and she took into consideration the ethical and social consequences of Galileo's teaching too. Her verdict against Galileo was rational and just, and the revision of this verdict can be justified only on the grounds of what is politically opportune.

In a speech by Joe Ratzinger, 15/02/1990.

:rolleyes:

Finally:
    Thanks to his intuition as a brilliant physicist and by relying on different arguments, Galileo, who practically invented the experimental method, understood why only the sun could function as the centre of the world, as it was then known, that is to say, as a planetary system. The error of the theologians of the time, when they maintained the centrality of the Earth, was to think that our understanding of the physical world's structure was, in some way, imposed by the literal sense of Sacred Scripture....

Pope JPII, 4/11/1992

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

Again just more selectivity and brazen at that -

At the instance of Roger Boscovich, the Catholic Church's 1758 Index of Prohibited Books omitted the general prohibition of works defending heliocentrism,[117] but retained the specific prohibitions of the original uncensored versions of De revolutionibus and Galileo's Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems. Those prohibitions were finally dropped from the 1835 Index

Next you'll be telling us the Inquisition killed anyone , it was the secular authorities that did it .

And what is breath-taking is that you think Galileo was arrogant and not the Pope.

Again your use of the term selective is nonsensical.I know that these inconvenient truths are not in the "spirit" of this forum but your beginning to inadvertently portray yourself as a smidge condescending.I'm well aware that the chances of converting any views in this forum is miniscule due to the blind hatred of religion but I at least must defend history.
    Galileo was deeply arrogant and this entire episode proved so.He begun by plagiarising the work of others and then attempting to portray these theories as fact.The heliocentric theory could not be proven in that time as the equipment needed for measuring did not yet exist.Galileo then attempted to move this from the scientific realms to the theological and that was his mistake.
    He went to Rome where he met with his long time friend,the new pope Urban VIII,who allowed him to write for and against the heliocentric theory but was cautioned not to advocate for a yet unproven theory.Galileo then,in his arrogance,publicly humiliated the pope through his use of the character Simplicio in his writings.Galileo mocked the very person who was his benefactor and also attacked his long time supporters,the Jesuits.That is the background to the now infamous trial.
    Any and all rebuttal to these facts is based on the malignance of revisionism and should be viewed as such.

Again your use of the term selective is nonsensical.I know that these inconvenient truths are not in the "spirit" of this forum but your beginning to inadvertently portray yourself as a smidge condescending.I'm well aware that the chances of converting any views in this forum is miniscule due to the blind hatred of religion but I at least must defend history.
    Galileo was deeply arrogant and this entire episode proved so.He begun by plagiarising the work of others and then attempting to portray these theories as fact.The heliocentric theory could not be proven in that time as the equipment needed for measuring did not yet exist.Galileo then attempted to move this from the scientific realms to the theological and that was his mistake.
    He went to Rome where he met with his long time friend,the new pope Urban VIII,who allowed him to write for and against the heliocentric theory but was cautioned not to advocate for a yet unproven theory.Galileo then,in his arrogance,publicly humiliated the pope through his use of the character Simplicio in his writings.Galileo mocked the very person who was his benefactor and also attacked his long time supporters,the Jesuits.That is the background to the now infamous trial.
    Any and all rebuttal to these facts is based on the malignance of revisionism and should be viewed as such.

That's the church's line. And who was wrong?

Funny that: the church, a direct line from Jesus Christ and, by extension, God, proved wrong! Does God not know how the universe works?

Makes me think he's not real...

...and that the church is peddling lies.

• Advertisement

Again your use of the term selective is nonsensical.
    I know that these inconvenient truths are not in the "spirit" of this forum but your beginning to inadvertently portray yourself as a smidge condescending.
    I'm well aware that the chances of converting any views in this forum is miniscule due to the blind hatred of religion
    Galileo was deeply arrogant

Do you do irony at all?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Galileo was deeply arrogant and this entire episode proved so.

Deeply arrogant? I think you will find the correct phrase is correct.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Where do you get this from? Where is the 'blind hatred'? Yes you will get strong emotion from the occasional individual who has for whatever reason been subjected to ill-treatment by a religious institution or individual, in the same way you will get religious people who are equally passionate about people who do not share their beliefs.

Generally however, this forum mocks some of the sillier results of religious belief; it puts forward opinions that do not fit with religious people's views; it is bemused by the fact that religious people want everyone to accept something that only exists in those people's own heads, but it does not hate.

Why do you expect to come into this forum and convert anyone? Sure, put your argument forward, but don't expect any conversions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Indeed, I actually thought it was an onion / waterford whispers style story when I saw the headline on another news source.

The mind boggles , World Cup 2022 hosts folks!

you just don't seem to get it - the Pope had no business telling Galileo anything !

And the fact that the Church had deviated so far from the original teachings that it felt entitled to crown and uncrown kings , interfere and veto science and learning , make war on women ,that it eventually took a Reformation an Enlightenment , numerous revolutions to somewhat redress the balance .

This is not to say the Church did not achieve great things , it did , but wherever there is great power there is equally great wrongs .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Galileo then,in his arrogance, publicly humiliated the pope through his use of the character Simplicio in his writings.
    This is reasonably well-known and does not seem to be in dispute. However, the prosecution mounted by the Vatican was based upon religion
    He begun by plagiarising the work of others and then attempting to portray these theories as fact. [...] Any and all rebuttal to these facts is based on the malignance of revisionism and should be viewed as such.
    I'm open to correction here, but I believe the Vatican has indeed formally accepted as fact that the Earth revolves around the Sun.

There are a few possible contenders there... Which are you talking about?

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    There are a few possible contenders there... Which are you talking about?

MrP

The mullah defending wife beating ? :confused:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36537364

All her food was taking away from her stall as she was open during the day in this month of Ramadan.

They have to close to "premote tolerance between religious groups"

couldn't make it up..

• Advertisement

The mullah defending wife beating ? :confused:

Your link took me to a page with a bunch of news stories, not to a specific story, and there were a few nasty ones.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    Your link took me to a page with a bunch of news stories, not to a specific story, and there were a few nasty ones.

MrP

Strange, I tried it again and it takes me to the story .. maybe its a region issue , sorry.

Yes, it took me to the story, though I had seen it before. The man's logic was totally baffling.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36548882
    Ofsted inspectors have criticised an Islamic independent school, where they found leaflets which claimed music and dancing were "acts of the devil".

Inspectors made an unannounced visit to the Darul Uloom Islamic High School in Birmingham after having previously rated the school as "inadequate".

Inspectors said pupils were not being protected from "extreme views".
    "The leaflets were found in areas shared by the school and adjoining mosque which are used by leaders and in areas used by the pupils from the school," said the inspectors.

Ofsted says that it is not clear who produced the leaflets, which they added seemed to be calling for a boycott of a local music festival.

The leaflet is understood to have made reference to music in terms of "public indecency" and the "proliferation of sinful activities".
    It also warns that there is a lack of evidence that the lessons match the published curriculum.

"For example, the policy states that the biggest timetable weighting has been given to English and mathematics, but inspection evidence and school timetables show that pupils study Arabic for approximately half of the school day."

Scrap the cap!

From the 'giving legislative favouritism to religion is a really bad idea' file:

Concern mounts that hundreds of marriages may be invalid
    In a statement, the Registrar General told The Irish Times: “Religious bodies are not required by law to have training and accreditation procedures, and there is concern that the quality assurance provided by training and accreditation may not be present in some cases. The office is aware any individual can easily obtain an online ordination certificate without any training or accreditation by the religious body issuing the certificate.

“Applications have been made by such persons for registration in the register of solemnisers.”

Solemnisers from a secular body must satisfy regulations in the Civil Registration (Amendment) Act 2014, which says the body must have more than 50 members, must meet regularly and must have appropriate procedures for “selecting, training and accrediting members as fit and proper persons to solemnise marriages”.

Senior officials in the department have warned in a briefing note to Minister for Social Protection Leo Varadkar: “The proliferation of small bodies and the lack of regulations of bodies gives rise to concerns as to validity of [some] marriages registered in the State.

“In one case, a member of a religious body was convicted of facilitating sham marriages.

“Against this background, consideration may need to be given to requiring that all marriages in the State be solemnised by a civil registrar as is the practice in most EU countries.”

Note the bolded part does not apply to anyone seeking to be a religious solemniser of marriages. A supposedly secular state now has to rule on what constitutes a 'valid religion' and what does not, and has created an injustice in the difference between how a 'valid' religious body is treated under the law compared to a non-religious body.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I cant be arsed trying to find out if this is a troll or not but its funny either way.

ClKUOPbVYAEKF8b.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

You don't have to look as far as Birmingham to see that kind of pattern.

Inspectors at the state funded Islamic school in Clonskeagh said;
    ..as 73% of pupils do not have English as their first language, there are significant language learning needs among these pupils. It is a matter of concern that a substantial amount of curricular time is used to accommodate the teaching of Arabic, which is not a recognised subject on the curriculum ...
    The school is still "researching" the thorny issue of Islamic-compatible music, but it is proving to be a difficult search. It could take some time....
    Good work has been initiated in planning for a music programme that is respectful of the Islamic tradition. This plan provides for a broad and balanced programme but current practice in most classrooms does not reflect this. The support services and internal expertise should be utilised to raise standards of learning in this area. It is also recommended that the music curriculum be discussed at board of management level in order that any ethos or other issues are formally addressed. The school has contributed to a research dissertation on Music and the Islamic faith, the findings and recommendations of which will be helpful to the school in planning and implementing an appropriate music programme.
    Don't even ask about school sports or PE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

After the Orlando shooting Rick Scott told a reporter the most important thing they could do right now was "Pray. Pray for the victims, pray for their families". Nice sentiment but what difference is it going to make :/ Everything that is wrong with believing in religious nonsense right there.

pressing issue in some circles

ClVLB1RWYAAeuLT.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

After the Orlando shooting Rick Scott told a reporter the most important thing they could do right now was "Pray. Pray for the victims, pray for their families". Nice sentiment but what difference is it going to make :/ Everything that is wrong with believing in religious nonsense right there.
    Yes, everyone knows what it needs was praying AND Facebook likes. Schoolboy error Rick.

MrP

In a rare glint of positive news, an Italian school run by nuns was ordered to pay €25,000 to a teacher fired by the head nun after the latter surmised that the teacher was gay. Plus a further €1,500 each to a labour union and a civil rights group.

http://religionnews.com/2016/06/23/catholic-school-in-italy-fined-for-firing-gay-teacher/

The civil rights group was a nice touch by the court.

Good news.

What is disappointing though is Labour politicians congratulating themselves for belatedly protecting the rights of gay teachers in Ireland in the last government - while maintaining under the same law discrimination against all non-catholic and ex-catholic teachers.

If the principal finds out you're gay she can't sack you, but if she finds out you are no longer a catholic she can. A non-catholic can be legally refused employment in over 90% of state funded schools for no reason other than being non-catholic.

Scrap the cap!

car accidents and road rage increase during the month of Ramadan in Saudi.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/variety/2016/06/28/Road-rage-in-Saudi-Arabia-rises-around-sundown-during-Ramadan.html#.V3KjC156VW8.twitter

Although believers who keep obligatory fast in Ramadan are expected to control their emotions and behave respectfully to all, it is not rare to see people fighting and blasting off with anger in public places, especially around sundown.

Reckless driving and road rage are common and as a result there is a steep rise in the number of accidents recorded during the holy month.

“It is a wild world and people are really getting crazy,” said Naif Al-Ahmadi, a 32-year-old employee.

Ahmadi, after watching pictures of terrible accidents posted on social media websites, was discussing with friends people’s rude behavior and their raging anger during the fasting hours.

He said the excuse these people normally came up with was they were fasting. “This makes no sense because fasting is supposed to make them self-disciplined and not act rudely.”

His friend Muneer Turkistani agreed and said, “It’s unbelievable how people really lose control of their temper.”

Turkistani added, “I have seen fights on the road and among people waiting in lines in supermarkets, bakeries, restaurants and foul shops. It is wild out there in the afternoon and I really try to avoid going out immediately before iftar.”

He suggested that security patrols should intensify their presence in an effort to prevent any violence in congested streets.

Commenting on clips of road accidents which have been distributed on social media channels, Majed Al-Adwani said people tend to drive aggressively between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. during Ramadan.

“It is better to avoid driving before iftar (fast breaking). It is dangerous; smokers especially get angry easily due to the depletion of nicotine in blood,” he said.

He noted that the number of accidents involving injuries or fatalities occur mostly a few hours before iftar.

Expressing his opinion, Rayan Ba Qais, a 24-year-old college student, described roads before iftar as a F1 arena. “People are turning their cars into speeding rockets on the street. These angry motorists create traffic jams and they fight with each other because of the congestion they themselves create,” he said.

Due to a lack of sleep, hunger, traffic jams, low nicotine and above all the heat, people develop serious temper issues and everyone suddenly turns crazy, according to a medical specialist.

Dr. Fahmy Abdulaziz, a clinical psychologist, said: “During the fasting hours, controlling temper becomes a problem. People are hungry, tired, sleepy, dehydrated and on-the-run. The combined effects of all these are anger bouts and fights.”

He said, “It’s unbelievable how people really lose control of their temper just a few hours before iftar time.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fianna-f%C3%A1il-td-criticised-for-seeking-muslim-citizenship-data-1.2703262
    A Fianna Fáil TD has been compared to Donald Trump by a senior Muslim leader after he asked a question in the Dáil about how many Muslims have sought Irish citizenship.

Sligo-Leitrim TD Eamon Scanlon asked Tánaiste and Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald for the number of Muslims who had applied for Irish citizenship in the past three years, and how many of those were legally living here over that period.

In her answer to the parliamentary question last Thursday, the Tánaiste said the form for citizenship applications did not have a requirement for details of a person’s religion and, accordingly, the information was not available.

After he was questioned in recent days on social media about why he had asked the question about the number of Muslims applying for citizenship, Mr Scanlon said on Tuesday the question had been “misinterpreted” and apologised for any offence caused.

“I put down a PQ (parliamentary question) in relation to the number of Muslims who have applied for Irish citizenship as a constituent was inquiring about this issue,” he said.

Twitter users had asked the TD why it mattered what religion someone was when they were applying for citizenship and a number suggested the question was discriminatory.

Sinn Féin councillor Sarah Holland said it “shouldn’t matter” what religion someone was and that “you could be a Jedi for all it should concern” Mr Scanlon.

How the feck did this eejit think that the citizenship application process would ask what religion the person is, if any?

It's not like they're trying to enrol in a school or anything :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

https://jennifermayers.wordpress.com/2016/06/27/americas-martyr-no-race-mixing/

Extract:

christy-sheats-12-e1466951298752.jpg?w=272&h=342
    Friends, I invite you to ponder the image above. The beautiful woman is Christy Sheats. The Texas wife and mother who is being vilified in the media for shooting and killing her teenage daughters. It makes for a great headline in mainstream media but what goes unsaid is even more powerful.

A devout Republican and gun rights advocate, she no doubt discovered that both of her daughters had been promiscuous and were sleeping with black boys and she took it upon herself to put an end to that cycle. She was brave enough to stand up and say ENOUGH! Not in MY house! And she should be lauded.

Christianity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Pherekydes wrote: »

"Spreading positivity through Jesus Christ." Where the hell does she get her idea of positivity from, 4chan's Trump fanboys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Has to be a fake, surely?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

A devout Republican and gun rights advocate, she no doubt discovered that both of her daughters had been promiscuous and were sleeping with black boys and she took it upon herself to put an end to that cycle. She was brave enough to stand up and say ENOUGH! Not in MY house! And she should be lauded.

No doubt? That usually means 'I am assuming' or 'I really have no idea but its what I would like to believe'.

Personally I think she looks rather scarily vacant.

im calling bs, the eldest daughter was getting married in a few days

Here's some of the author's defence of the article, due to the backlash it received:
    First and foremost it is not only hurtful but very insulting to me that people would accuse me of merely being a “joke” or a “satire” as if mocking Christ and making fun of my beliefs is something that I would ever find humorous. I just do not understand. Maybe I am naive to how all of this works but it certainly doesn’t make me feel very positive. I can only speak my own thoughts and the words of my Lord as He wrote them.

Secondly, I will NOT apologize for my views in that blog. Miscegenation is WRONG and it will destroy the white race as we know it. If everyone would stay with their own kind there would be no confused yellow babies not knowing which race they have to portray or “act” like in order to fit in. It just is not right. And despite any story that you see in the media about Mrs. Sheats I am convinced there is more to the story. She did not want her daughters to become enslaved into the lifestyle of miscegenation that would eventually force her to become a grandmother to a child she would be humiliated by.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Well, I guess that's alright then.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Well, I guess that's alright then.

I'm still not certain it's for real.

Here's a title list of her other blogs:

capture1.jpg?w=702

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Poe strikes again.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/muslim-leader-criticised-over-insulting-invite-to-gay-people-1.2707041
    A Muslim leader who has invited gay people to take part in a community meal at his mosque in west Dublin has drawn contrasting criticism from some Muslims and LGBT groups abroad.

Shaykh Dr Umar Al-Qadri, chairman of the Irish Muslim Peace & Integration Council, had described the invitation as an attempt by “the Irish Muslim community to reach out to our neighbours as an example of true Islamic ideals”.

Sounds good. But...
    “When in Ramadan we open our doors for those who commit Kufr [non-belief] and Shirk [idolatry], why can we not open our doors for those who commit Fisq [sin]?”

Oops.

Scrap the cap!

Gay lads; "Okay nice to meet you... but wheres the dinner".

Imam; "Its Ramadan"

Gay lads; " So... I think we'll just head down to the chipper then".

Imam; "Yeah. You can leave that beer here if you like."

News from Kerry in - two more parishes in the country are without resident priests, bringing the total to five. The short article paints a grim picture of a church in serious decline.

http://www.killarneytoday.com/five-parishes-now-without-resident-priests/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

robindch wrote: »
    News from Kerry in - two more parishes in the country are without resident priests, bringing the total to five. The short article paints a grim picture of a church in serious decline.

One of them is my home parish. More soon I hope.

legspin wrote: »
    One of them is my home parish.
    Likewise :o

robindch wrote: »

“I ask that we all continue to pray for these students and for vocations to the priesthood in the diocese,” Bishop Browne said.

Working great so far lads keep it up :pac:
    Commenting on the two parishes being left without a resident priest, the bishop said he realises it will cause upset and that it will be unsettling for everybody.

Really? How many people actually give a sh1t? a lot fewer than he thinks, I'll wager.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement