Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hazards of Belief

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

recedite wrote: »
    Yeah but, none of that anus business applies to shiites.
    Naturally the existence of gay Shiites disproves the whole thing, but I'm sure there's some other Devil-related reason why their parents weren't true Scotsmen Shiites, or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

‘Druids danced in the streets’ when abortion was legalised, says priest
    Taoiseach Leo Varadkar was “elected while publicly living in perverse contempt of the sacrament of Holy Matrimony”, and “Druids returned and defiantly danced in the streets when abortion was legalised”, in Ireland, a Catholic parish priest in New York has said.

Fr George Rutler (73), pastor of the St Michael the Archangel church on West 34th Street in New York, said the state of the Catholic Church in Ireland was “a warning to Catholics in the United States, because such is what happens when religion is only a political and ethnic sentiment”.

In a message on the parish website, in honour of St Patrick “the holy patron of our archdiocese”, he noted how “the largest number of people who claim Patrick for their patron are Nigerians, converted by heroic Irish missionaries”.

“The number of baptised Catholics in Nigeria has soared from 19 million in 2005 to 53 million today. There are two thousand priests and nearly 4,000 religious, along with a boom in vocations.”

He continued: “By contrast, despite many worthy witnesses, the majority of Irish people failed to heed the warnings of St John Paul II when he became the first pontiff to set foot on the soil of Eire in 1979. He preached to 1.25 million faithful at a Mass in Phoenix Park, Dublin.

“Last year, Pope Francis offered Holy Mass in the same place, and fewer than 130,000 showed up. Four months later, the Druids returned and defiantly danced in the streets when abortion was legalised. The Taoiseach, was elected while publicly living in perverse contempt of the sacrament of Holy Matrimony.”

The national seminary at Maynooth “has the lowest numbers of students since its foundation in 1795”, he said while “its rector of 15 years abandoned the faith and now conducts an esoteric cult in Arizona”.

This was a reference to former president of St Patrick’s College, Maynooth, former Msgr Micheal Ledwith, who resigned in 1994 amid child abuse allegations which he denied. He later joined the Washington State based Ramptha School in Enlightenment in the US.

Fr Rutler continued that an unnamed “Irish commentator and playwright recently” had referred to Ireland as “the most anti-Catholic country on planet Earth”. Fr Rutler said he felt “this would seem to be hyperbolic, given persecution in Muslim lands, China and North Korea, but it bespeaks the adolescent rebellion of a population moved by an anger unlike the cool detachment of calculating governments”.

All of which, he said, amounted to “a warning to Catholics in the United States, because such is what happens when religion is only a political and ethnic sentiment”.

The St Patrick’s Day parade in New York city had become “a bibulous charade of St Patrick. While contingents advertise their contempt for his gospel, Nigerians honour St Patrick in a different way”.

Originally an Episcopalian (Anglican) priest, Fr Rutler converted to Catholicism in 1979. Since 1988 he has had a weekly television programme on the international US-based and conservative Catholic Eternal Word Television Network (EWTN).

In 1996, then Governor of Texan George W Bush made him an Honorary Texan and, for his help at the World Trade Centre on September 11th, 2001, Fr Rutler was honoured by the city council of New York.

He has lectured and given retreats in Ireland.

Zeal of a convert strikes again...

I wonder is he referring to our friend Mr. Waters?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

‘Druids danced in the streets’ when abortion was legalised, says priest

and who does this refer to?
    “its rector of 15 years abandoned the faith and now conducts an esoteric cult in Arizona”.

Mayo-born ‘Rosary priest’ helped CIA bring about 1964 coup in Brazil
    In 1959 the CIA began to secretly fund Fr Peyton’s Family Rosary Crusade there, paying for advertising, promotion and events.

Brazil became a particular focus, especially after Brazilian generals approached the US seeking backing for a military coup.

The CIA’s “Operation Brother Sam” got under way, with the Family Rosary Crusade a part of it. Fr Peyton held a series of major rallies in Brazilian cities, culminating with a TV special from Rio de Janeiro in December 1963. It was a prelude to March 31st, 1964, when Brazilian generals staged a coup.

They later credited Fr Peyton’s crusades with their success and paid tribute to their influence in helping mobilise Brazilian Catholics against communism.

Presbyterian professor at Belfast College fired by church over liberal same sex views
    The Presbyterian Church in Ireland has dismissed a professor at its Union Theological College in Belfast for publicly disagreeing with the church’s outright opposition to same sex relationships.

Rev Prof Laurence Kirkpatrick had been teaching there for 22 years.

The college has been providing training for the Presbyterian ministry, as well as theology courses for students at Queen’s University Belfast.

At its General Assembly in Belfast last June the church decided that same-sex couples could no longer be full members and that such couple’s children could not be baptised.

It also decided to loosen ties with a sister church, the Church of Scotland, as the latter moved towards approving same-sex marriage.

Subsequent to those decisions, Rev Prof Kirkpatrick told BBC Radio Ulster’s Talkback programme, last June also, that he would be horrified if a student at the college was taught that a same-sex, sexually active relationship was sinful.

An earlier, 2016, review of the college by Queen’s raised concerns about the college’s curriculum, which it said was “largely based on Protestant evangelical teaching with little input from other perspectives”, and that it had a “lack of diversity in the teaching provision and staff”.

It felt that “in a post-conflict Northern Ireland, it is highly unsatisfactory that the teaching of theology is not provided across denominational lines” and further noted that there were no full-time female staff teaching undergraduates at the college.

Last December, following its latest review, Queen’s University decided not to admit any new undergraduate theology students to the college in September 2019.

Scrap the cap!

and who does this refer to?
    The national seminary at Maynooth “has the lowest numbers of students since its foundation in 1795”, he said while “its rector of 15 years abandoned the faith and now conducts an esoteric cult in Arizona”.

This was a reference to former president of St Patrick’s College, Maynooth, former Msgr Micheal Ledwith, who resigned in 1994 amid child abuse allegations which he denied. He later joined the Washington State based Ramptha School in Enlightenment in the US.

Scrap the cap!

The perils of skimming an article. The Ramtha lot seem interesting to say the least.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Yes indeed, https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2019/03/the-most-anti-christian-country-on-earth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

seamus wrote: »
    Naturally the existence of gay Shiites disproves the whole thing..
    You'll be waiting many years before you can use that line again :pac:
    In fairness, you can hardly criticise a RC priest for advocating RCC doctrine.
    The likes of abortion and gay sex are not in accordance with the doctrine, and never will be.

The other guy in the story, Fr. Ledwith, is an interesting one too.
    It seems he has taken a golden handshake from the church and retired to the desert where he can live out his gay fantasies as a New Age hippy.

I've been to Death Valley and its full of retired hippy types who have sold up their houses and bought Winnebagos instead. Its the same around the less populated parts of Arizona and Nevada. They go down there in winter because its nice and warm, ideal for sitting around in deckchairs drinking beer. Then they tour the northwest and up into Canada in summer.
    Not a bad lifestyle actually. It certainly beats working for a living.
    This process of investigation had commenced in or around 1995 but Ledwith, in the interim, came to a private legal settlement with the claimant which admitted no liability and included a confidentiality clause. This, they said, frustrated the continuing inquiry. Dr Ledwith remained in situ at the College for another two years after his resignation, and continued his professorship.
    In 1997 Dr Ledwith and the College reached a mutual understanding for a parting of ways and he was awarded a pension top-up of £100,000. He also agreed to leave his rooms on the College campus at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

eh, thanking this for the examples you provided, but the way you added "dangerous" - are you being sarcastic to the OP ?

Like how dare he slag off Islam!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

TomSweeney wrote: »
    eh, thanking this for the examples you provided, but the way you added "dangerous" - are you being sarcastic to the OP ?

Like how dare he slag off Islam!!!:eek:

Slag of each and every religion for all i care, they're all sh/te in their own special ways.

The person i quoted only ever slags islam, some people have unhealthy obsessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

GOP legislator prays to Jesus for forgiveness before state’s first Muslim woman swears in

State Rep. Stephanie Borowicz was on the ninth “Jesus” of her opening prayer in the Pennsylvania statehouse when other lawmakers started to look uncomfortable.
    Speaker Mike Turzai, a fellow Republican, glanced up — but Borowicz carried on, delivering a 100-second ceremonial invocation that some of her colleagues decried as an offensive, divisive and Islamophobic display shortly before the legislature swore in its first Muslim woman.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/03/27/gop-lawmaker-prays-jesus-forgiveness-before-states-first-muslim-woman-swears/?utm_term=.e9b20d0f6b74

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Slag of each and every religion for all i care, they're all sh/te in their own special ways.

The person i quoted only ever slags islam, some people have unhealthy obsessions.

Eh ... OK i'll bite.

I did a quick browse through my posts on this and yeah mainly it's against Islam - but there are plenty of Christian posts too.

Also a lot of the "Islam" posts are responding to arguments about something related - the Dara O Bhrian thing , few others...

And back to the Islam posts, I think in 2019 it's safe to say it's the most hazardous religion, maybe not to Irish people (I am Irish myself but haven't lived there in years and been all over the world since)

Hence my lack of Buddhist posts, or Scientology even - I don't think these religions are gonna cause major global issues in the next century.

Islam on the other hand ???

Odhinn wrote: »

Well, silly the way he is praying to his imaginary friend over it.
    But it is worrying having a Hamas supporter in the US senate... but thats another conversation ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

But it is worrying having a Hamas supporter in the US senate... but thats another conversation ...

It's as terrible as having IRA supporters in the dail.

It's as terrible as having IRA supporters in the dail.

Absolutely agree.

Given we're talking about the country that gave Donald Trump control over the big red button, this would be very low down on my list of concerns.

Scary, scary muslims. Scary.

Scary, scary muslims. Scary.

Scary scary that she is rabidly anti semitic, supports hamas, wiped Israel off her wall map in her office as soon as she was sworn in.
    Has dodgy jihadi connections, got her brother in to the US illegally by pretending he was her husband.

Yeah scary.

• Advertisement

Scary scary that she is rabidly anti semitic, supports hamas, wiped Israel off her wall map in her office as soon as she was sworn in.
    Has dodgy jihadi connections, got her brother in to the US illegally by pretending he was her husband.

Yeah scary.

You've sources for all that?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47769964

top Story on BBC

Still no thanks for the original post - very telling.

85c.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Lesbian sex carries a different penalty of 40 strokes of the cane and/or a maximum of 10 years in jail
    Terrible sexism there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

"Lesbian sex carries a different penalty of 40 strokes of the cane"

Penalty? For some of the Lesbians I know, that is foreplay!

...............................lery telling.)

You wouldn't happen to have sources for the claims you made in this post by any chance?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109793737&postcount=9420

You wouldn't happen to have sources for the claims you made in this post by any chance?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109793737&postcount=9420

I heard it, I'm not gonna dig it up, I believe it , you don't have to.
    She is dodgy - she supports terror, she hates the west, I don't have to provide sources for obvious facts.

Again, you can believe what you want, at the end of the day we all believe what WE WANT to.

• Advertisement

She is dodgy - she supports terror, she hates the west, I don't have to provide sources for obvious facts.

Again, you can believe what you want, at the end of the day we all believe what WE WANT to.

Facts be damned then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Shall we explore why you want to believe such things, Hector, or is that a matter between you and your therapist?

very telling

Oh it very much is telling. Just not, I suspect, about what you want to think.
    I heard it, I'm not gonna dig it up, I believe it , you don't have to. She is dodgy - she supports terror, she hates the west, I don't have to provide sources for obvious facts.

Well actually, on this forum you do. Depending on whether anyone wants to engage the new "back up your claims" rule from our Forum Rules. You have made a claim more than once, you have been asked to back it up more than once, you have refused. The moderator can very much now step in to demand clarification, if anyone cares to invoke it. I personally don't.

Speak for yourself. I have met people who claim to be able to CHOOSE what to believe in the manner you describe. I am not one of them. I am not aware of a single belief I hold because I "want" to hold it.

All the beliefs I hold I do so because the evidence presented to me compelled my belief. All the claims I do not believe, is due to no evidence being made available to me to believe it.

So perhaps you believe what you "want" to. But do not assume that means anyone else does. I am always curious though just how labile your credulity is. If I give you a patently empty box can you merely "want" to believe it is full of cash and then you believe it is?

What does that even feel like? Do you actually see the money that is not even there? Does it appear to you as a kind of half there half not there transparent image? Or is it more like a Capgrah syndrome thing where one part of your brain can actively see no money there at all but the belief part actively believes it to be there anyway?

I have certainly in the past seen you see posts and themes and narratives on this forum that no one else can see. Such as your ongoing narrative that Islam is somehow protected or given special privilege on this forum. Or your nonsense that Dara OBrian apologized for something he actually did not.

IT is fascinating to me to explore what it actually feels like to have a choice based belief system on your neck top computer. Describe it for me.

LOL. On this forum of all forums...!

Scrap the cap!

https://www.dailywire.com/news/45517/ilhan-omar-urges-release-jailed-muslim-brotherhood-ryan-saavedra
    https://www.wnd.com/2019/03/did-ilhan-omar-marry-her-brother/
    https://abcstlouis.com/news/nation-world/newly-sworn-in-michigan-rep-catching-heat-for-capitol-hill-office-map-alteration

Oh wait too right wing, so just dismiss all that ... oh wait ... Buzzfeed
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/emaoconnor/pelosi-calls-ilhan-omar-israel-tweets-anti-semitic-apology

Like I said ... DODGY
    But again, the Islamist apologisers on here will be tripping over themselves to excuse it, quick lads quick , a priest molested some
    kid 40 years ago in Donegal ... get a good story on that one!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

That Buzzfeed article says nothing about her marrying her brother, erasing Israel from a map or Hamas.

I've heard the conspiracy theory about her marrying her brother but it was just that Jacob Whol lad and some woman grifting money from the intellectually feeble to travel to Minnesota to investigate.

Yeah scary.

So by rabidly anti-Semitic, you're referring to the oblique reference to Jewish money in the tweet "It's all about the Benjamins baby"? You've a rather strange notion of the adjective rabidly there, and I reckon the ones that are actually frothing at the mouth on this one are the far-right. Or perhaps you've something else to indicate that she is ''rabidly anti-semitic"? The rest of your points also seem similarly specious and your link about the map actually refers to someone else entirely (Rashida Tlaib). But hey, they're both Muslims so I guess that means they're basically the same right...? Rabid, huh? :rolleyes:

Further what in the name of all that is biscuity does manipulating the US immigration system got to do with her beliefs? Or more specifically, a thread on the Hazards of Belief?

Many people have committed crimes related to the US immigration system. James Randi, a person probably liked and respected by some users of this very forum, helped his boyfriend commit identity theft for example in order to stay in the US. Clearly his religious beliefs had nothing to do with it either.

And am I imagining it was EX Muslim Ayaan Hirsi Ali not also embroiled in some similar dodgy dealings with immigration?

And am I imagining it was EX Muslim Ayaan Hirsi Ali not also embroiled in some similar dodgy dealings with immigration?

Yep, had to quit the netherlands for the US. A lot of her story never added up in many regards.

You do, when the facts aren't as obvious as you might think. Firstly you posted this

Yeah scary.

as a reaction to this post
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109788560&postcount=9412

Now I know they all probably look the same to you, but the woman in incident I posted was Movita Johnson-Harrell, who was being sworn in to the Pennsylvania state legislature. The woman you're referring to is
    Ilhan Omar, a member of the senate of the US.

Your "sources"

https://www.dailywire.com/news/45517/ilhan-omar-urges-release-jailed-muslim-brotherhood-ryan-saavedra

This is the person who she and Amnesty international want released -
    Hoda Abdelmoniem is a 60-year-old human rights lawyer who volunteers as a consultant for the Egyptian Coordination for Rights and Freedoms (ECRF), a prominent human rights organisation. In the last five years, Hoda has been documenting human rights violations, including cases of enforced disappearances.
    She is also a lawyer at the Egyptian Cassation and Supreme Constitutional Courts, as well as a former member of the National Council for Human Rights and the Egyptian Bar Association.
    Amnesty International believes that Hoda’s activism, as well as her being a member of the defence team in several human rights cases, are the reasons behind her arrest.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20190119-amnesty-egypt-must-release-rights-activist-abdelmonem/
    https://www.amnesty.org/download/Documents/MDE1293652018ENGLISH.pdf

I was on a large American board years ago, and they do let a lot of stuff out there that wouldn't be allowed here. They banned starting threads based on

WND stories though.
    https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/WND

Looks photoshopped - anyhoo, she's entitled to her opinion

https://abcstlouis.com/news/nation-world/newly-sworn-in-michigan-rep-catching-heat-for-capitol-hill-office-map-alteration

WND's coverage provides multiple sides of issues: the very conservative viewpoint and the ultra-conservative viewpoint.

:D

Oddly this timely article shows that working with WND has exposed the "Hazards of Belief" to quite a few of its customers and authors.

In early 2017, an email landed in the inbox of the husband of a stay-at-home mother of three in Wisconsin.
    It was just what Diane Anthony thought she needed.
    She’d been working on a novel titled “Supernova” about a worldwide calamity that killed hordes of people but gave superpowers to the survivors. The email offered a deal: World Ahead Press, a publishing arm of WND, would publish her book for a fee, promote it for her and give her a share of sales proceeds.
    Anthony sifted through the different publishing options, each with a different price tag attached.
    “We thought that if we’re helping our fellow Christians, that seems like a good road to go down,” she said in a recent interview. “We went for the most expensive package.”
    It cost $9,999.
    At points scattered across the country, others reached the same conclusion: They could trust WND because of its Christian values. In Florida, Patricia Feijo dug into her dwindling savings for $9,999 to tell her version of her husband’s imprisonment for promoting unapproved cancer treatments through their ministry, Daniel Chapter One, in a book titled “Called to Stand: How a Small Christian Ministry Courageously Stood Up to Government Tyranny.”
    In Virginia, Rita Dunaway — a lawyer who contributed columns to WND — struck a more traditional publishing deal, in which she would receive royalties but not have to pay for publication.
    Each of the women would have their expectations shattered. Calls and emails went unreturned. Anthony and Feijo said they hadn’t gotten audiobooks they’d been promised. Dunaway felt she was getting excuses about the months-long delay in publishing her book.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/inside-the-spectacular-fall-of-the-granddaddy-of-right-wing-conspiracy-sites/2019/04/02/6ac53122-3ba6-11e9-a06c-3ec8ed509d15_story.html?utm_term=.353cba61e6d0

These people are so stupid though, they might not be dealing with the real WND at all, just an opportunistic spammer.

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Not really. There are lots of people around the place. including quite a few here on A+A, whose opinions are guided by relevant facts. And I'd reckon that the majority of them might update their opinions, should the relevant facts ever be updated.

Yep, had to quit the netherlands for the US. A lot of her story never added up in many regards.

Now I know they all probably look the same to you, ....[/B].

No surprise you are skeptical of Ayan Hirsi Ali, a true modern feminist - but how dare she speak out against Islam!!!

ah yes, the old "racist" angle, at least use a better buzzword for it - "Islamaphobia"

No surprise you are skeptical of Ayan Hirsi Ali, a true modern feminist - but how dare she speak out against Islam!!!

From what I gather, she speaks out more for reform of Islam than opposition to it, particularly with respect to maltreatment of women. From what little I've read, her arguments seem well placed, though I can't see her getting much traction within mainstream Islam, even among moderates.

• Advertisement

ah yes, the old "racist" angle, at least use a better buzzword for it - "Islamaphobia"

Are you trying to skip past the fact that you wrongly identified the muslim woman elected to a state legislature with the muslim woman elected to the US senate?

Are you trying to skip past the fact that you wrongly identified the muslim woman elected to a state legislature with the muslim woman elected to the US senate?

I'll put my hands up there
    I made a mistake.

I retract it, I have actually been reading up on her over the last half hour, seems she _might_ not be as bad as I thought.

I need to re-evaluate my sources.

Anyway lads, believe it or not I think we'd all agree on 90% of things if we really got down to it, forums / online discussions can cause barriers.

You might think I'm a bigot, but I am happy to re-evaluate certain viewpoints, have been looking a lot at Maajid Nawaz and the British Humanist society and it honestly gives me hope.

Anyway lads, believe it or not I think we'd all agree on 90% of things if we really got down to it, forums / online discussions can cause barriers.

You might think I'm a bigot, but I am happy to re-evaluate certain viewpoints, have been looking a lot at Maajid Nawaz and the British Humanist society and it honestly gives me hope.

You're probably already aware of the phenomenon, but when searching the web for news, watch out for the media / filter bubble, in that when you search for news, you can end up primarily with content you'd tend to agree with which in turn leads to confirmation bias. Personally, I find it helps to look at multiple sources and primary where possible and to always be willing to get it wrong. I change my stance quite often on numerous issues on that basis.

Islam does bear the brunt of the majority of my floccinaucinihilipilification too, though perhaps not to the extend of your good self Hector.

I do keep meaning to look more deeply into Maajid Nawaz and his work. The little I know or have heard seems very positive. Almost TOO positive. If we could replace the Muslim world with copies of him tomorrow, it would be a very different world I suspect. Very progressive but still very devoted to his faith.

I do keep meaning to look more deeply into Maajid Nawaz and his work. The little I know or have heard seems very positive. Almost TOO positive. If we could replace the Muslim world with copies of him tomorrow, it would be a very different world I suspect. Very progressive but still very devoted to his faith.

I'm sceptical of Qulliam and Maajid Nawaz as well. Seems like something of a paper tiger.

Hi there,
    Can anyone identify this fraud pastor here :

https://youtu.be/TCKeMlC6nYg?t=1552

cheers

Robert Tilton

People make youtube videos of him doing his schtick with his weird facial expressions, with added fart sounds. That's how I recognised him, and 'farting preacher' on youtube delivered the goods as it were.

Scrap the cap!

Jesus, he makes $90M a year on his sham.
    Christ, I am in the wrong trade...

Ironically one would need to have zero morals to make a living from that though.

• Advertisement

It's f*cking incredible!!
    How is this legal ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement