Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hazards of Belief

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

someone who is in favour of sharia law managed to get elected as a US senator?
    the US is much more inclusive than i'd suspected.
    Sure wasn't the last President a Muslim lad from Kenya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

smacl wrote: »
    Not her awe though, she is laughing at the apparent awe of her lecturer. It hardly deserves the faux outrage you seem to be struggling to get out.

Do you have any proof whatsoever of this? She's a US senator, which kind of suggests being very much part of the west.

You've provided nothing to support any of this though. You're having a rant at the black lady in the scarf because she's a Muslim and you clearly don't like Muslims, but you have failed entirely in finding anything to suggest there's any issue with her. I don't doubt you've nothing more to say because I don't think you had anything much to say in the first instance.

Haven't seem a non-sequitur that big in a while. How about if someone was acting the bigot, would you need to explain that?

Yes it's an exaggerated analogy.
    Ah heyor!! I'm no bigot!

edit - and again, you are bringing race into it ... why mention "Black lady in a scarf" ???

seamus wrote: »

Would it surprise you I was a great fan of Obama and was delighted he won in 08 and 12.
    Now who is drawing on pre conceived narratives.

just waiting for the "im not a racist, some of my best friends are black" .....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Yes it's an exaggerated analogy.
    Ah heyor!! I'm no bigot!

Repeatedly attacking Ilhan Omar, with unsupported asertions that 'She hates the west and is an advocate of Sharia law', strongly to me suggest a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices.
    edit - and again, you are bringing race into it ... why mention "Black lady in a scarf" ???

I didn't bring race into it, it was already there and started with this post (that you liked).
    recedite wrote: »
    The Somali said something stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

seamus wrote: »
    You're probably thinking of the President's dad; Baraka Obama (baraka is the Arabic word for a "blessing")

The Obamas of course are Luo, and the Luo tribe take a very dim view of the neighbouring Somalis, whom they regard as vagrants and bandits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

The Obamas of course are Luo, and the Luo tribe take a very dim view of the neighbouring Somalis, whom they regard as vagrants and bandits.

I presume this is the sneer to accompany your earlier bigoted remarks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You're probably thinking of the President's dad; Baraka Obama (baraka is the Arabic word for a "blessing")
    Holy sh1t, did you actually go there?

Seriously, might be time to take a step back recedite. You're dangerously close to turning into a Gemmaroid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I suspect I'm not alone in finding out slightly off putting that 36 hours later, there's already nearly one billion Euro pledged to restore a church.

I wouldn't be too sure about that!

• Advertisement

Repeatedly attacking Ilhan Omar, with unsupported asertions that 'She hates the west and is an advocate of Sharia law', strongly to me suggest a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices.

I didn't bring race into it, it was already there and started with this post (that you liked).

Come on! , referring to her as a Somali - it is her original country, nothing racist here, I know lots of Irish Americans that are still referred to as "The Irishman" amongst their american local friends.
    They love it, as they are still Irish too - I'm sure Mrs Omar is still proud of her Somali heritage.

Odhinn wrote: »
    I presume this is the sneer to accompany your earlier bigoted remarks.
    That's quite a stretch ^^

Anyway, you will all find this hard to believe, but I actually hope you guys are right!!
    Really, if I knew for sure she wanted to embrace western american values and keep the system secular - great!

unfortunately I am not an optimist and don't believe this is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Come on! , referring to her as a Somali - it is her original country, nothing racist here, I know lots of Irish Americans that are still referred to as "The Irishman" amongst their american local friends.
    They love it, as they are still Irish too - I'm sure Mrs Omar is still proud of her Somali heritage.

That's quite a stretch ^^

Anyway, you will all find this hard to believe, but I actually hope you guys are right!!
    Really, if I knew for sure she wanted to embrace western american values and keep the system secular - great!

unfortunately I am not an optimist and don't believe this is the case.

Are you being serious here?

She moved to the states when she was 11 years old, she has lived there for 26 years, educated there, went to college there and is now a member of their house of representatives.

What "western american values" do you wish to see her "embrace" and which ones do you feel she is lacking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Are you being serious here?

She moved to the states when she was 11 years old, she has lived there for 26 years, educated there, went to college there and is now a member of their house of representatives.

What "western american values" do you wish to see her "embrace" and which ones do you feel she is lacking?

She could try wearing a MAGA hat and saying YEEHAW! a lot more.

There's clubs for this sort of thing.............

An Ohio church has apologised after a video emerged of students in a youth programme spitting on, slapping and cutting a pastor at his request.
    Footage posted on Facebook showed young people lining up to strike associate pastor Jaddeus Dempsey, who intended it to be a lesson on crucifixion before Easter.

Mr Dempsey then offered students a steak knife, asking to be cut in the back. Video shows him removing his shirt and instructing students on where to place the knife.
    "He had the opportunity to share a message about Easter", Mr Ross said of Mr Dempsey, "And he chose to use an illustration to explain a very important topic about the crucifixion but the illustration went too far."
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47966644

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hey it's fine as long as he didn't take pleasure in it.

Scrap the cap!

Nusrat Jahan Rafi was doused with kerosene and set on fire at her school in Bangladesh. Less than two weeks earlier, she had filed a sexual harassment complaint against her headmaster.

Her courage in speaking out against sexual assault, her death five days after being set alight and everything that happened in-between has gripped Bangladesh and brought attention to the vulnerability of sexual harassment victims in this conservative South Asian country.

Nusrat, who was 19, was from Feni, a small town 100 miles (160km) south of Dhaka. She was studying at a madrassa, or Islamic school. On 27 March, she said the headmaster called her into his office and repeatedly touched her in an inappropriate manner. Before things could go any further she ran out.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47947117

• Advertisement

Many girls don't protest out of fear after such incidents. Burqas, even dresses made of iron cannot stop rapists
    A quote that gives some insight into local thinking re the wearing of Burqas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

https://www.irishcatholic.com/tuam-babies-not-buried-in-septic-tank-report-confirms/

Interestimg article in the Irish Catholic.

Basically = 'yes yes yes, all those babies died at a catholic institution (basically a prison/slave labor camp for 'sinful' mothers and their undesirable offspring), but more importantly we didn't bury them in a spetic tank, told ya!'

All the while on the same page advertising an event called 'The future is pro-life'.

Catlicks really are the gift that keeps giving.

https://www.irishcatholic.com/tuam-babies-not-buried-in-septic-tank-report-confirms/

Interestimg article in the Irish Catholic.

Basically = 'yes yes yes, all those babies died at a catholic institution (basically a prison/slave labor camp for 'sinful' mothers and their undesirable offspring), but more importantly we didn't bury them in a spetic tank, told ya!'

All the while on the same page advertising an event called 'The future is pro-life'.

Catlicks really are the gift that keeps giving.

.A thoroughly dishonest article, in which they have latched on to the part of the statement by the investigation that the cess pit was not built to be a burial site and then deliberately ignoring the fact that the pit was used for that purpose. Typical religous order jesuitical crap.

From the report re Tuam so ye can judge for yourselves

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2019/04/17/death-in-tuam/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

Easter bombings - more than 200 killed.

Very sad indeed.
    Christians seem to be a massive target - epecially in Asia.

Thousands of Christian pilgrims from all over the world are expected to travel to Jerusalem for Easter celebrations. For Christian Palestinians who live no more than hours away from the holy city, however, holiday plans are determined by the whims of the Israeli army. This year, in an unprecedented decision, the army is denying movement for hundreds of Palestinians and barring all movement between the West Bank and Gaza.
    The Israeli army limited the holiday travel quota to 200 Christians from Gaza who are over 55, and only for travel outside of Palestine-Israel. Only 120 of the 1,100 Christians in Gaza meet this arbitrary requirement. Palestinians who were planning on visiting the holy sites or their families in the West Bank and Israel, already a rare occasion, will not be able to do so.

While the army has allocated twice the quota for Palestinians in the West Bank — who will be allowed to travel to Israel and Jerusalem — this only allows approximately one percent of the Christian population there to leave for the holiday. They are not allowed to visit family members in Gaza.
    https://972mag.com/easter-gaza-permits-blockade/141104/?fbclid=IwAR2YuQWb29qRHEX6N4Gcl7RrhvMADJYSA9JlQPbB4vjm96eEIIX2K95QNmE

Like something out of "Borat"

The World Jewish Congress (WJC) has voiced outrage over a Polish town's ritual beating of a Judas effigy which looks like a caricature Orthodox Jew.
    The Good Friday ritual in Pruchnik, south-eastern Poland, was filmed and posted by a Polish news website.
    "Jews are deeply disturbed by this ghastly revival of medieval anti-Semitism that led to unimaginable violence and suffering," the WJC said.
    In the Pruchnik ritual - part of Roman Catholic Easter celebrations - children crowded round the effigy beating it with sticks, as adults dragged it through the streets. The mock Judas had a big red nose, black hat and Orthodox-style ringlets.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48012965

There does seem to be a strong correlation with vocal religious zealotry and interest in gay people having sex, as we've also seen on this thread. Seems like a major distraction for them. I wonder why? ;)

Like all religions obsessed with what consenting adults do with their genitals, one would think God wouldn't give a sh1t about such trivial matters, I mean he did create the world the universe, black holes and all sorts of cool complex stuff!!

Secularism in Galway city.

479388.jpeg

Scrap the cap!

She's been elected - bit of a culture shock for the "Save Ulster From Sodomy" party ahead.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-politics-47969822

• Advertisement

Save Ulster From Gomorrahy doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Scrap the cap!

Save Ulster From Gomorrahy doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

A new one to me, that.

Seemed to have missed this one when it came out -

"Two cardinals have criticised Pope Francis's approach to the clerical sexual abuse crisis, saying "abuse of power" was not to blame but homosexuality."

"The plague of the homosexual agenda has been spread within the church, promoted by organised networks and protected by a climate of complicity and a conspiracy of silence," claimed the cardinals, who belong to the church's conservative wing."

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0220/1031786-clerical-abuse/

Not sure how you tackle islamism but I'd be fairly sure its not like this -
    Guardian and Bellingcat investigation finds more than two dozen Islamic religious sites partly or completely demolished since 2016

Researchers say as many as 1.5 million Uighurs and other Muslims have been involuntarily sent to internment or re-education camps, claims that Beijing rejects.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/07/revealed-new-evidence-of-chinas-mission-to-raze-the-mosques-of-xinjiang

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A US teenager who went to an SSPX - a hardline, catholic fundamentalist - school in Kentucky was, at the behest of local health authorities, banned from the school for refusing to be vaccinated against chickenpox. The teenager took a case alleging that his right to a religious exemption should have been adequate.

While the law was grinding its slow way towards a conclusion, the teenager - wait for it - caught chickenpox.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48205523

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I thought the SSPX people mainly campaigned for the Mass in Latin and were agin Pope Francis?

A Holocaust-denying American preacher who promotes anti-LGBT rhetoric has been barred from speaking in Ireland later this month.
    Justice Minister Charlie Flanagan has taken the rare step to prevent Pastor Steven Anderson from entering the country.

He previously posted an online video in which he justified the murders of 49 people in the Pulse nightclub massacre in Orlando in 2016.
    The Pastor also claimed to pray at night that former US president Barack Obama would die.
    It was expected that his trip to Dublin would involve commentary on the outcome of the referendum to repeal the Eighth Amendment.
    Mr Anderson had already been banned from the 26 EU countries in the Schengen Area, which does not include Ireland.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/holocaustdenying-preacher-barred-from-speaking-in-ireland-38104030.html

Seems a cheery chap

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithful_Word_Baptist_Church

nuac wrote: »
    I thought the SSPX people mainly campaigned for the Mass in Latin and were agin Pope Francis?
    That used to be the case, but they've gathered unto themselves a wide range of unsavoury characters over many years amongst whom number - in no particular order of likability - the last surviving WWII war criminal, creationists, climate denalists, the strongly anti-semitic, holocaust-deniers, anti-GMO activists, anti-vaxxers, two unprosecuted, but self-confessed child abusers, anti-EU, chemtrail hoaxers and - a new one to me in the last year or so, many seem openly supportive of self-styled 'free speech activist' Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, more commonly known by his alias 'Tommy Robinson'.

The larger SSPX movement, btw, has bifurcated into a mainstream SSPX, aka the neo-SSPX, which leans towards some very mild accommodation with the Vatican, while there's a smaller, more hardline crowd named the "SSPX Resistance" who, for example, believe that Pope Francis was appointed by Satan himself and the SSPX-R is in no mood to accommodate anybody. You can get an idea for how low relations have sunk between these two groups from this report which casts, almost in military terms, one minor showdown between neo-SSPX and "SSPX Resistance".

One can get a flavour of the modern SSPX - both neo- and -resistance, from the following Swedish documentary from ten years or so ago:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDC5D236FD407AD58

Note that Lefevre, the guy who first set up the SSPX is recorded as saying that western European cities contain "no go areas for police" on account of muslims - what seems to be the earliest instance of that particular piece of fake news.

Actually on the topic of Christopher Yaxley-Lennon, alias 'Tommy Robinson', he got creamed (literally) a few days back when two people threw milk-derived foodstuffs over him.

As one guy remarked a little afterwards - a case of the Lactose meeting the Intolerant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W4e4bUB4iU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

robindch wrote: »
    Actually on the topic of Christopher Yaxley-Lennon, alias 'Tommy Robinson', he got creamed (literally) a few days back when two people threw milk-derived foodstuffs over him.

As one guy remarked a little afterwards - a case of the Lactose meeting the Intolerant.

I think we're going to need a bigger milkshake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Have you got a link for that? I can't see any connection between SSPX and Tommy Robinson.

You can get an idea for how low relations have sunk between these two groups from this report which casts, almost in military terms, one minor showdown between neo-SSPX and "SSPX Resistance".

Looks like it's curtains for Fr. Ballini :

Don%20Giacomo3.JPG

Scrap the cap!

Looks like it's curtains for Fr. Ballini :

Don%20Giacomo3.JPG

Looks like that when he left the church, rather than have him defrocked they had him reupholstered :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Looks like that when he left the church, rather than have him defrocked they had him reupholstered :)

I'd love that in a cushion.

Fantastic!
    The lad that did it also seems a really nice open minded chap!
    I'd say he himself could be a very secular and tolerant individual.

• Advertisement

Community of Nuns (well - 2 nuns really -) in Leap in trouble over total lack of planning permission. Apparently the Carmelite Nuns of the Holy Face of Jesus only speak for an hour a day which may have impacted on their ability to apply for planning - although it does beg the question how they communicated with their builders. Post-it notes perhaps.
    Part of their 'defense' is that they thought more women would join the community. But alas, Sr Irene Gibson built it and only Sr Anne Marie came. From New Zealand.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/nuns-ordered-to-leave-unauthorised-compound-by-cork-county-council-924248.html

As an aside do clerics get a free pass when it comes in immigration? Did Sr Anne Marie rock up at immigration and say (in her well timed allotted hour of speech or via post-it notes) "I'm going to live in poverty with another nun living in poverty on land the Nuns of the Holy Face of Jesus own in West Cork" and Immigration said "Failte. Here's your stamped passport. Will you be expecting many more to join you as we'll need a new ink pad if there's a floodgate of silent nuns on the way?" But Sr Anne Marie only smiled as her hour was up and she'd run out of post-it notes.

Polish bishops will meet on May 22 to discuss steps to tackle paedophilia in Poland's powerful Catholic Church after a documentary that showed victims confronting priests who had sexually abused them shocked the devout nation.
    The film "Tell No One", which has been watched by 14.8 million people since Youtube released it on Saturday, also alleges that the Polish Church moved known paedophile priests from parish to parish, as happened in other countries.
    https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/viral-documentary-tell-no-one-uncovers-sexual-abuse-by-polish-clergy-and-sparks-furious-response-38114588.html

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Nuns of the Holy Face of Jesus

I thought you'd mockingly made this up, until I clicked on the article!

Scrap the cap!

Isn't it wonderful when the reader can't be sure if it's a Poe or not? :D

Sounds like something from Father Ted :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement