Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hazards of Belief

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

philologos wrote: »
    Surprisingly he didn't get the best reception in the Guardian either. One couldn't attribute that to Christians going berserk.
    Not sure whether you had time to look at the link that I posted, but on that, there were calls (from people who no doubt thought of themselves as chrisitan) to murder atheists.

In the little bit I read on the Guardian website, I didn't see any calls from anybody to murder anybody.

Were the first group, as Pompey suggests, not real christians?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

photo13.png

Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭robroy1234

So these loving,wonderful and charming Christians who believe in the saviour Jesus Christ, who died to save us, would happy to remember the 2,954 people who died at the WTC by extorting the murder of just as a many people. That figures since they support the idea of being anti-abortion by killing pregnant mothers, doctors and nurses. Pro-life and yet support the death-penalty, and of course fuel their cars with fossil fuel and yet believe the world is less than 6000 years old.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

robindch wrote: »
    The American Atheists suggest that a cross isn't the best thing to plant on the WTC memorial, bearing in mind that many of the dead didn't hold christian beliefs. So some christians go berserk:

http://atheists.org/blog/2011/07/29/fox-news-facebook-page-on-911-cross-generates-death-threats-against-atheists

This facebook entry offends me the most...

photo18.png

A Dude avatar? Come on! The Dude was a pacifist, man!

Dades wrote: »
    This facebook entry offends me the most.
    Are we being persecuted?

Please say yes, please say yes!!!!(*)

(*) in a whiney voice.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Was going to start a thread but it might be better off here. So 17 boys and girls have been arrested in Iran for having a water fight because it supposedly violates Haraam.

Having a water fight is not at all contrary to Haraam, and neither is having a laugh, relaxing or enjoying oneself. This is an example of extreme religious fundamentalism and purposely misinterpreting the holy book. Where do they think they are?? Ireland??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Boyzone singer Shane Lynch reportedly became so embroiled in black magic, that years spent practicing witchcraft almost killed him.

According to The Star, the 35-year-old claimed he was regularly visited by demons and that his life spiralled out of control, leaving him suicidal.

"I dabbled a lot in the occult and the darker side of life for sure," he told the newspaper.

"I had demonic visitations. I took part in Ouija board séances and all that. It led to a lot of my anger and violence as an individual.

"It's something I don't do anymore."

Lynch claims he was saved by his family, friends and Christianity.

"I turned to Christianity in 2002.

"Coming to God and being a born-again Christian and turning to the family of Jesus saved my life."

source

Zombie Christ is happy.:)

I know Jesus as well....He is a cool Mexican dude whom I went to College with....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

There you go. Black magic causes boybands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Malty_T wrote: »
    According to The Star, the 35-year-old claimed he was regularly visited by demons and that his life spiralled out of control, leaving him suicidal.

"I dabbled a lot in the occult and the darker side of life for sure," he told the newspaper.

"I had demonic visitations.

actually-a-gd-louis.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

Get 'em while they're young. Priest shortage leads to recruiting young teenagers.
    video
    These children, along with several hundred others, are training in batches to become priests for the city's biggest religious festival.

The 10-day Ganesh Utsav - when the elephant god is worshipped - begins this month and there are not enough priests available to handle the rush of ceremonies: More than 12,000 in different neighbourhoods, and several thousand private ceremonies in homes.

According to one estimate, there are barely 3,500 priests in the city when it needs at least eight times the number.

So the festival organisers have decided to train 700 young boys and girls this year so that more priests can be made available.
    'Crash course'

Interestingly, many of the children taking the "crash course" in priesthood are girls.

"I know there will be some hesitation [to hire us] in the beginning because we are so young and then we are girls. But once [the clients] know that we are as good as traditional priests, they will hire us," says a visibly excited 15-year-old Neha.

full article

Not entirely sure where to post this as it's relatively mild for a hazard.
    Also a city 'needs' 28000 priests like it needs more homoeopathic hospitals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908//vp/44098787#44098787

Rick Perry, a republican presidential candidate in America, is being backed by a strange sect of Christians with political aspirations who believe that they are prophets.

This news segment has a montage of them spouting some insane beliefs. The repeal of DADT caused 100,000 fish to die, and birds to drop out of the sky. The statue of liberty is an idol created by French freemasons. Hitler's stormtroopers were all homosexuals because straight men weren't monstrous enough to carry out his orders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The American Atheists suggest that a cross isn't the best thing to plant on the WTC memorial, bearing in mind that many of the dead didn't hold christian beliefs. So some christians go berserk:

http://atheists.org/blog/2011/07/29/fox-news-facebook-page-on-911-cross-generates-death-threats-against-atheists

I think this is the best one:
    photo16.png
    Calling atheists full of hatred while expressing a desire to kill them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

muppeteer wrote: »
    Get 'em while they're young.

Or even get them while they are young, starting to look very attractive, and put them in rooms with insane, large and often violent men!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2024621/Meet-exorcist-schoolgirls-spend-time-casting-demons-worldwide.html

Using young attractive girls for personal financial profit under the guise of "Excorcism" is really the bottom of the barrel with me, especially when you have to put them in direct personal physical danger to do it.

Buffy Summers, you ahve a lot to answer for! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fckkkkme!:eek: Jesus Christ! That's just.... I ......think I want to get off the planet now. Sickening stuff!:mad:

• Advertisement

The catholic church in Dublin is "close to collapse":

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0817/church.html?RTEMAILID

Street party, anybody?

The catholic church in Dublin is "close to collapse":

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0817/church.html?RTEMAILID

Street party, anybody?

How is this a hazard?:D:p

Um, hazardous to believers?

Um, hazardous to believers?

How? It's good for them in the long run.:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Malty_T wrote: »
    How is this a hazard?:D:p
    Maybe they'll bow out David Koresh style. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

biko wrote: »

To hear the sister speak so calmly about going to hospital and needing to bring a pot is one of those things that just gets to me. A kid in that situation should be practically hysterical, they shouldn't be so exposed to that kind of stuff so much that they can almost take it in their stride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

amacachi wrote: »
    To hear the sister speak so calmly about going to hospital and needing to bring a pot is one of those things that just gets to me. A kid in that situation should be practically hysterical, they shouldn't be so exposed to that kind of stuff so much that they can almost take it in their stride.

And the authors only worried about if they were going to be blamed... Despicable.

Ratzinger spreading some peace and love in Spain:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14568707

Ratzinger spreading some peace and love in Spain:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14568707

Let's see the leader of the biggest kiddy-fiddling cover up (most likely) ever attending World Youth Day. This does not satisfy my logic circuits...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Went into Easons today, looking for Penn Jillette's book "God, No"

Me: Excuse me, I'm looking for a book called "God, No"
    *woman behind till looks at me strangely*
    Me: The authors name is Penn Jillette
    Her: No, we definitely don't have that (she says without even looking)

You'd swear I asked for "How to blow up the world with a homemade bomb"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Buddah

Barrington wrote: »

Regarding Paedophiliacs Sanctury International (RCC) I despair. I mentioned to my nurse that I was an Atheist. She paled. "Jesus will help you", she cried, "just ask him". "I did" I told her honestly, "Jesus, give me a break" I asked in desperation and he did". I fell over and broke my femur.

Looking back at the post about the poor man walking into the lions den and being killed, similar happened in the 80s I think, in Windsor Park. Man reading from bible walked towards lions. They ate him. But think about it? Jesus, so called Son of this great God called out to his dad when nailed to a cross. "Father, why have you foresaken me?". If the Sky Fairy is not going to help his son, he is hardly going to give a toss for the rest of us, is he.

I have a picture in my head of God sitting on a cloud looking at us and saying "I should have stuck with the dinosaurs".

• Advertisement

The dinosaurs killed each other off - the Tyrannisaurus Rex believed in the divine right of kings...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Barrington wrote: »

In fairness, you can't really expect the staff at Eason to know a whole lot about books.

robroy1234 wrote: »
    The dinosaurs killed each other off - the Tyrannisaurus Rex believed in the divine right of kings...

No Robroy, that was men. You are confused. Tyrannosaurus Rex (Rexes Rexi?) were struck from the heavens with a huge stone thrown by an angry God when they chose their first King. He was named Bertie The Brief.

Buddah - how dare you contradict me when I am anthromorphising (whatever that is) dinosaurs, or any other creature. Thats beside the difficulty of attributing animalistic qualities to man - my wife often refers to me as an animal - i.e. dog, pig, goat, flea...and not in the manner that is flattering.

Bertie the Brief - wasn't he the former Taoiseach...?

Buddah - how dare you contradict me when I am anthromorphising (whatever that is) dinosaurs, or any other creature. Thats beside the difficulty of attributing animalistic qualities to man - my wife often refers to me as an animal - i.e. dog, pig, goat, flea...and not in the manner that is flattering.

Bertie the Brief - wasn't he the former Taoiseach...?

No, robroy, you err. Bertie the Brief was King of the World and was a giant of a beast. You are thinking of Bertie the Banker, (some historians claim the first letter of Banker is an error). Bertie the Banker was a small crawling creature, very much like Gollum, seeking always the Precious, but with the gift of the Chamelion. He reigned for three centuries and then sailed off into the sunset with all the riches of the small land he had raped and pillaged leaving behind those lieutenents whom he disliked and knew would soon fall to defeat. The Sky Fairy was much pleased with Bertie the Banker for his prowess and cried "Thus did I choose rightly that Men should rule this world. Animals, nothing but animals are men and nothing but animals, be they dog, pig goat or flea, as long as they are male can bring this globe of shame to ashes. T'was a day of madness when I created the Earth. Beware, all you beings of my creation, even I, despite my omnipotence, can over estimate my abilities".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Buddah wrote: »
    ... You are thinking of Bertie the Banker, (some historians claim the first letter of Banker is an error)...
    Definitely. There's strong documentary evidence that he hated bankers, and would have nothing to do with them or their institutions. A man before his time, in some ways.

• Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Michele Bachmann says God sent Hurricane Irene to tell politicians to cut government spending.
    Joining such distinguished public policy thinkers as Pat Robertson and birther evangelist Joseph Farah in seeing divine political interference in natural disasters, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) said yesterday that Hurricane Irene was a message from God. Speaking Sarasota, Florida, Bachmann suggested God used the hurricane and last week’s earthquake to tell politicians to cut spending, the St. Petersburg Times reports:
    “I don’t know how much God has to do to get the attention of the politicians. We’ve had an earthquake; we’ve had a hurricane. He said, ‘Are you going to start listening to me here?’ Listen to the American people because the American people are roaring right now. They know government is on a morbid obesity diet and we’ve got to rein in the spending.”
    Source

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

koth wrote: »
    Michele Bachmann says God sent Hurricane Irene to tell politicians to cut government spending.

If they are direct quotes it defies belief that someone like that is allowed to hold any position of power let alone run for the presidency of one of the most powerful countries in the world.

Michele Bachmann says God sent Hurricane Irene to tell politicians to cut government spending

Well thats great - just leave the mess and not clean up afterwards. That is not very thoughtful of God - sending messages such as an earthquake and a hurricane just to say Cut Government Spending causing a lot of mess and damage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Michele Bachmann says God sent Hurricane Irene to tell politicians to cut government spending

Well thats great - just leave the mess and not clean up afterwards. That is not very thoughtful of God - sending messages such as an earthquake and a hurricane just to say Cut Government Spending causing a lot of mess and damage...

That the government has to pay to clean up...

• Advertisement

The terrifying thing though about these elections is the idea that candidates can be asked questions on these issues give totally stupid and ignorant answers that are deemed wholly appropriate to their supporters. Honestly, I seriously doubt these guys will even have a modicum of intellect towards solving financials crises and whatever other crises come their way. The lack of intellect is truly frightening but that should be ok, the problem is that rational thinking and rational discussion is gone out the window. A society based on populist views is one of my biggest fears.

Malty - Intellect to the average US voter is not an issue, look at the voting for G.W.Bush - ok we all know that Gore actually won, and that Kerry should have won if he actually challenged the system of Florida and Ohio. But, they are only happy if the President believes in God - regardless of the US Constitution separation of church and state.

Malty - Intellect to the average US voter is not an issue, look at the voting for G.W.Bush - ok we all know that Gore actually won, and that Kerry should have won if he actually challenged the system of Florida and Ohio. But, they are only happy if the President believes in God - regardless of the US Constitution separation of church and state.

To be fair, intellect to the average Irish voter is not an issue either! Our constitution was written by McQuaid, our schools are owned by the RC and our children are brainwashed or rather were brainwashed by god believers, until the bravery of some parents in setting up non-religious schools.

The Tea Party morons appeal to the red-necks. But make no mistake, there are the politicians who appeal to the monied, the powerful and the very dangerous, and it is these we need to watch. We need a revolution. Not a website one, a real one. I don't see the Sky Fairy punishing our wonderful politicians for their sins, but neither to I see the Irish people wanting to punish the corrupt shower for what they have done to our country, and continue to do.

Very true. Taking common prejudices into account a black, homosexual, woman has a better chance of being elected than an atheist.

koth wrote: »
    Nah, according to her spokesman, she was just joking:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0829/breaking50.html

• Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Dig up, Michelle. dig up!!!

If you can read this, you're too close!

she was joking???? oh ha ha ha......a US Republican, tea-party candidate with a sense of humour.

We lefty, liberals have no sense of humour at all. I mean we should have laughed our socks off when the Sarah Palin and the Tea Partiers posted the US Congressional map of US with the crosshairs of a sniper target placed on seats that they targetted against Democrats....including that off Gabriel Giffords.

We should be in the thralls of laughter with the idea that Sarah Palin/ Tea Party support "2nd Amendment Solution" if they are not elected into a particular region.

We lefties are certainly a miserable bunch for not getting that joke, but maybe they get that joke in North Carolina, New Jersey, New york. I suppose that the families of the 38 people that have been killed due to the Hurricane Irene are peeing themselves with laughter with that wittisome joke...

American citizens died... and she was making jokes about it? Presidential material indeed.

I sometimes wonder what these Merciful God believers think when they see tiny babies and infants starving to death, or dying in agony by the hundreds of thousands due to lack of clean water or the simpliest of medicines. Not much mercy shown to them, is there, not only by God of course, but by our wonderful world-wide politicians also. Is God a politician do you think? A Republican? They obviously think so. To be perfectly honest I doubt they believe in any God. They just use the concept to appease the believers.

The death of millions by famine and war is proof positive that there is no God, unless it be a Sadistic ba....one.

• Advertisement

Buddah wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder what these Merciful God believers think when they see tiny babies and infants starving to death, or dying in agony by the hundreds of thousands due to lack of clean water or the simpliest of medicines. Not much mercy shown to them, is there, not only by God of course, but by our wonderful world-wide politicians also. Is God a politician do you think? A Republican? They obviously think so. To be perfectly honest I doubt they believe in any God. They just use the concept to appease the believers.

The death of millions by famine and war is proof positive that there is no God, unless it be a Sadistic ba....one.
    Don't worry, all that needless suffering and death when God could just send rain to break the drought is all part of Gods plan.

I can only assume that the plan is for some kind of doomsday machine fueled by tears.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement