Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hazards of Belief

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

koth wrote: »
    Benny with the Magic Hat has said that gay marriage is a threat to the future of humanity.
    Says the allegedly sexless man in a while dress lecturing a bunch of allegedly sexless men in black dresses.

Otherwise? Benny. Well:

benny-hill-copy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Pope in saying something retarded shocker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

3521o8.jpg

^^I was quite tempted to slip a T into the word 'immoral'....

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16443556
    Article which makes for sorry reading about the state of Pakistan.
    Some selective quotes for those on mobiles.

In January 2011, the governor of Pakistan's Punjab province, Salman Taseer, was killed by one of his own bodyguards, who was subsequently sentenced to death. Now Mumtaz Qadri is appealing against his sentence and some people believe he could yet hold office himself.
    After a week in Pakistan asking people about the Taseer case, I left believing that more Pakistanis have sympathy for the murderer Mumtaz Qadri than for his victim Salman Taseer.
    This is what he told me: "No lawyer would do it. My name was suggested. When I told my friends they said, 'Don't do it! Don't do it!' If the religious people here are annoyed with somebody they do not let them live.

"But Qadri's death sentence has to be maintained. If it is reduced to life, I tell you he will end up being released.

"And then he will become a member of parliament or even a minister because he is a hero, not only of the normal people but also very well read people, including ex-judges and serving judges. Very, very highly placed people are making him out to be a hero."
    "You can't imagine what my brother has done," Qadri's eldest brother said. "People who before used to refuse to even shake our hands now come up to us and kiss our hands.

"We are just grateful that God chose a member of our family to protect the reputation of the Prophet."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I definitely didn't think I'd be posting a story that had Mickey Mouse and blasphemy in the title when I woke up this morning.
    Concerns that the Egyptian uprising that toppled Hosni Mubarek may lead to less freedom rather than more were given added weight on Monday following reports that the country’s richest man, telecommunications mogul Naguib Sawiris, will be forced to stand trial for blasphemy after he posted pictures of Mickey Mouse and Minnie wearing conservative Islamic garb (Mickey was also bearded), seeming to suggest that that the two characters would be required to wear such dress if radical Islamists take over. After the picture ignited an uproar on social network sites (one imam called for him to be killed), Sawiris, a Christian, took to Twitter to apologize, saying “I just thought it was a funny picture; no disrespect meant. I am sorry.” Human rights lawyer Gamal Eid told today’s (Tuesday) Washington Post that the court case raises the issue of censorship in the country. Bringing Sawiris to trial is evidence, he said, that “there is no rule of law in Egypt.

Source

sawiris-mickey-minnie.jpg?d9c344

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

How is letting a transgender 7 year old into the girl scouts 'pro abortion'? :confused:

Sometimes I think America should split into two nations, one on the left, the other on the right. But then the right would probably bomb the living daylights out of the left.

Galvasean wrote: »
    How is letting a transgender 7 year old into the girl scouts 'pro abortion'? :confused:

Sometimes I think America should split into two nations, one on the left, the other on the right. But then the right would probably bomb the living daylights out of the left.

If the extreme right had absolute control of any nation with a nuclear stockpile the world would be f**ked.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Jernal wrote: »
    If the extreme right had absolute control of any nation with a nuclear stockpile the world would be f**ked.:(

Aye, the Republicans have used nuclear weapons in warfare way more than the Democrats.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Saw this on my facebook, sickening. Don't think it was posted before. Seems to be people being burnt alive for witchcraft....

WARNING: DISTURBING CONTENT

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

amacachi wrote: »

Aye, the Republicans have used nuclear weapons in warfare way more than the Democrats.

Keyword: "absolute"

Keyword: "absolute"

Good thing the left never had that then, if they did that with "some" power imagine what they'd be like with absolute power.

Who was in power from 1980-1992 when the USSR finally broke up? Who escalated the Vietnam War? Just sayin'. I guess correlation isn't causation but in politics that's a line that doesn't really exist. Then again I keep forgetting that not being an uber "liberal" (I really wish there were treble inverted commas in common usage) isn't seen as coo'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Saw this on my facebook, sickening. Don't think it was posted before. Seems to be people being burnt alive for witchcraft....

WARNING: DISTURBING CONTENT

Wow.

Of course Christians no doubt will argue that those people were not acting as true Christians, because every real Christian knows that such acts are completely wrong and immoral...except when the perpetrator is God and the torture continues for eternity when there isn't even the tiny consolation of the merciful release of death, in that case it is perfectly okay of course.

News in from Poland where a girl was fined around €1,200 for saying "it's hard to believe in something that was written by someone drunk on wine and smoking some herbs" in 2009.

Remember -- Jesus is love.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/6269061/Poland-fines-singer-for-bashing-Bible
    A Polish court slapped a fine on a popular singer who bad-mouthed the Bible - the latest episode in which authorities grapple with religious defamation in a traditionally Catholic country that is growing increasingly secular.

Dorota Rabczewska, a singer who uses the stage name Doda, said in a 2009 interview that she doubted the Bible "because it's hard to believe in something that was written by someone drunk on wine and smoking some herbs."

A Warsaw court ordered her Monday to pay a fine of 5000 zlotys (NZ$1827) for offending religious feelings.

The case comes months after another Polish court let off a death metal performer, Adam Darski, who tore a Bible during a 2007 performance. It deemed his act artistic expression.

Darski and Rabczewska once dated.

6269082.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

amacachi wrote: »
    Good thing the left never had that then, if they did that with "some" power imagine what they'd be like with absolute power.

Who was in power from 1980-1992 when the USSR finally broke up? Who escalated the Vietnam War? Just sayin'. I guess correlation isn't causation but in politics that's a line that doesn't really exist. Then again I keep forgetting that not being an uber "liberal" (I really wish there were treble inverted commas in common usage) isn't seen as coo'.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

robindch wrote: »
    News in from Poland where a girl was fined around €1,200 for saying "it's hard to believe in something that was written by someone drunk on wine and smoking some herbs" in 2009.

Remember -- Jesus is love.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/6269061/Poland-fines-singer-for-bashing-Bible

And that's why the blasphemy law worries me.

Messed up that in a first world country in the 21st Century someone could be fined for saying something 'offensive' like that.

As pathetic as that is, at least she wasn't flogged or stoned to death.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

Image too long to post directly.

Yoinked from reddit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

muppeteer wrote: »

Made it half way before depression stopped me...

lol

Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Made it half way before depression stopped me...

Although 99.99% of that image is really unsettling... I did get a laugh out of a bumper sticker which said something like "The Big Bang is wrong... An explosion in a print shop wouldn't create a dictionary" :D

Wait, how does McDonalds promote same sex marriage? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Ronald McDonald wears make-up. A flaming homosexual if ever I saw one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Wait, how does McDonalds promote same sex marriage? :confused:
    *Obviously* you've never had a Civil Union Meal Deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stick girl

It's called culling the herd. Plain and simple

Indonesian atheist faces jail after Facebook post
    An Indonesian civil servant who declared himself an atheist on Facebook was arrested and is now facing jail for blasphemy after being attacked by an angry mob, police said Friday.

Alexander An, 30, who wrote "God doesn't exist" on his Facebook page, was beaten by a mob of dozens on Wednesday in his hometown in Pulau Punjung, West Sumatra province.

"He is suspected of having blasphemed against Islam," local police chief Chairul Aziz told AFP.

"The man told police investigators that if God really exists and has absolute power, why didn't he prevent bad things from happening in this world."

An said on his Facebook page that he was brought up as a Muslim, like the vast majority in Indonesia, where blasphemy is a punishable crime carrying a maximum five-year prison term.

Dozens of locals stormed into his office after a heated debate with them on Facebook over religion, police said.

An was also an administrator of a Facebook group promoting atheism with 1,243 followers. His postings no longer appeared online following his arrest.

Source

"He is suspected of having blasphemed against Islam," local police chief Chairul Aziz told AFP.

I just can't understand it. I can't understand how it can be a law, anywhere, to believe something and be forced to keep your opinions to yourself. Can't understand it. You cannot believe in something you don't believe in. It's not a choice. How is that punishable, by a law enforcer?

I admire his courage. I only wish he moved somewhere that this sort of thing is not tolerated and where people are allowed to express an opinion.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    I just can't understand it. I can't understand how it can be a law, anywhere, to believe something and be forced to keep your opinions to yourself.

Shut up!

eqimage4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'd take religion a bit more seriously if they had gun clerics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Shut up!

eqimage4.jpg

Thats like a double-entendre because he's Christian Bale :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Please ban Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

Note: Sarcastic Onion-esque headline. Or just poorly formed....

I've noticed the pope and spain have been sharing media headlines together a lot recently.

Here is a link to an article in which the Cardinal Archbishop Antonio Rouco Varela claims to a catholic gathering titled "Christian Family: the hope of Europe" that it is UNESCO's plan to turn half the population in the world, gay. Along with and old and overused theme; "The family is under attack in Spain".

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/english/Abortion/bigger/problem/than/joblessness/says/Catholic/Church/elpepueng/20120101elpeng_3/Ten

dmw07 wrote: »
    Gay populous will hit 50% by 2015 if Evil Atheists have their way
    What with those simply frightful gays reproducing like little bunny rabbits all the time.

Stands to reason it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Bishop flapping lips article^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

As it happens, there was a very interesting documentary on TV (Viasat Explorer) yesterday evening. It was all about the Heaven's Gate cult, some 40 or so members of which committed suicide in 1997. They were all well-educated, some with postgraduate qualifications, had no prior history of substance abuse, serious mental health or some such problems, but they fell under the influence of a charismatic man who fed them a mixture of messianic nonsense, pseudo-science and Star Trek. He was called Marshall Applewhite, aka Bo, and his partner was Bonnie nettles, aka Peep. She died of cancer, despite the group's firm belief that they would be able to overcome death.:rolleyes:

As with most all cults, they had to cut themselves off totally from their earlier lives, have no contact with former friends or family, dress androgynously, live without sex (even to the extent of undergoing castration) and so on.:eek:

Finally, when the Hale-Bopp comet appeared, their leader convinced them a spaceship that would take them to God was sheltering behind it and that they would be beamed aboard it when they "exited their vehicles" (i.e. topped themselves). That is what they did as well.:rolleyes:

I remember it being reported extensively in the media at the time, but the documentary was very interesting in that it featured video footage that had been taken in the course of many years prior to the mass-suicide.

In my book, anyone who believes in any kind of supernatural being is unwise to say the least, but the Heaven's Gate documentary shows what total whack-jobs some people can be without giving much visible indication of it at all.:cool:

Of course, those of you who believe in the sky fairy are probably looking forward to having a good laugh at my expense when the rapture happens.:pac:

the-rapture-suit.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    As it happens, there was a very interesting documentary on TV (Viasat Explorer) yesterday evening. It was all about the Heaven's Gate cult, some 40 or so members of which committed suicide in 1997. They were all well-educated, some with postgraduate qualifications, had no prior history of substance abuse, serious mental health or some such problems, but they fell under the influence of a charismatic man who fed them a mixture of messianic nonsense, pseudo-science and Star Trek. He was called Marshall Applewhite, aka Bo, and his partner was Bonnie nettles, aka Peep. She died of cancer, despite the group's firm belief that they would be able to overcome death.:rolleyes:

As with most all cults, they had to cut themselves off totally from their earlier lives, have no contact with former friends or family, dress androgynously, live without sex (even to the extent of undergoing castration) and so on.:eek:

Finally, when the Hale-Bopp comet appeared, their leader convinced them a spaceship that would take them to God was sheltering behind it and that they would be beamed aboard it when they "exited their vehicles" (i.e. topped themselves). That is what they did as well.:rolleyes:

I remember it being reported extensively in the media at the time, but the documentary was very interesting in that it featured video footage that had been taken in the course of many years prior to the mass-suicide.

In my book, anyone who believes in any kind of supernatural being is unwise to say the least, but the Heaven's Gate documentary shows what total whack-jobs some people can be without giving much visible indication of it at all.:cool:

Of course, those of you who believe in the sky fairy are probably looking forward to having a good laugh at my expense when the rapture happens.:pac:

the-rapture-suit.jpg
    But can you actually prove they are not on the spaceship now?

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

dmw07 wrote: »
    UNESCO's plan to turn half the population in the world, gay.

"The Minister for Family of the Papal Government, Cardinal Antonelli, told me a few days ago in Zaragoza that UNESCO has a program for the next 20 years to make half the world population homosexual. To do this they have distinct programs, and will continue to implant the ideology that is already present in our schools."

This a a prime example of why we should never have closed the Irish diplomatic mission to the Papal Government. Now we are only getting this vital information from the Vatican's Minister for Family second hand. Who knows what additional info relating to this plan to convert half the world to gayness we are missing out on.
    I have suspected for a while now that UNESCO are building a massive Gay Ray at a secret mountaintop facility in Switzerland. I believe this program involves a master plan to bounce the Gay Ray off satellites, thereby irradiating the whole world in one fell swoop.
    blofeld1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A 35-year-old Iranian web programmer is facing imminent execution in connection with developing and promoting porn websites, charges that his family insist are trumped up.

Saeed Malekpour, a permanent resident of Canada who was arrested in October 2008 after his arrival in Tehran, is convicted of designing and moderating adult content websites, acting against the national security, insulting and desecrating the principles of Islam, and agitating the public mind.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/09/iranian-death-sentence-pornography

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    A 35-year-old Iranian web programmer is facing imminent execution in connection with developing and promoting porn websites, charges that his family insist are trumped up.

Saeed Malekpour, a permanent resident of Canada who was arrested in October 2008 after his arrival in Tehran, is convicted of designing and moderating adult content websites, acting against the national security, insulting and desecrating the principles of Islam, and agitating the public mind.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/09/iranian-death-sentence-pornography

"He insulted and desecrated the principles of Islam, and agitated the public mind... So let's execute him!"

could someone clear something up for me about that story? it says that the programmer is a permanent resident of Canada.

So is Iran going to execute him for crimes he didn't commit in Iran. Granted the web is global, but if he's in Canada surely he isn't under Irans jurisdiction?

could someone clear something up for me about that story? it says that the programmer is a permanent resident of Canada.

So is Iran going to execute him for crimes he didn't commit in Iran. Granted the web is global, but if he's in Canada surely he isn't under Irans jurisdiction?

Yup. The web is seen as the West's way of attempting to corrupt the youth of Iran. So it's very much an Iranian issue in their eyes. What a f**ked up nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As he's an Iranian citizen, presumably Iran believe they have jurisdiction over his brain, so any thought-crimes he commits are punishable in Iran.

"...acting against the national security..."

Whatever the hell that means, I guess. But while the crimes, or should I say "crimes", were committed in Canada, the article says "a permanent resident of Canada who was arrested in October 2008 after his arrival in Tehran", so I'm guessing he went to Tehran by his own choice, but was then arrested, rather than being arrested in Canada and taken to Tehran

Yup. The web is seen as the West's way of attempting to corrupt the youth of Iran. So it's very much an Iranian issue in their eyes. What a f**ked up nation.

so it seems that the story is as screwed up as I thought.

So people that upload anything to the web need to be aware they're breaking Iranian law, regardless of where they are in the world? Crazy stuff :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

so it seems that the story is as screwed up as I thought.

Its even more screwed up when you read the third paragraph:
    Speaking from Toronto, Malekpour's wife, Fatemeh Eftekhari, said her husband has been informed of the verdict and has been transferred to solitary confinement for the sentence to be administered if the supreme court sanctions it. She says her husband was a web programmer who had written photo uploading software that was used in a porn website without his knowledge.

The accused wrote software for uploading pictures to the net, which was then used by a pornographic site without his knowledge, and he will be executed for it. Under that logic the creators of Google could be executed in Iran for the same thing.

Its even more screwed up when you read the third paragraph:

The accused wrote software for uploading pictures to the net, which was then used by a pornographic site without his knowledge, and he will be executed for it. Under that logic the creators of Google could be executed in Iran for the same thing.

And people at Microsoft, whatever company manufactured the computer and the telecoms company that supplies his interweb connection. The list is endless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

if he's in Canada surely he isn't under Irans jurisdiction?

"Malekpour, who is a permanent Canadian resident on the path the citizenship there, returned to his native Iran in 2008 to visit his dying grandfather.
    He was picked up off the street by plainclothes Iranian policemen and taken to Evin Prison
    "

Here's another one for the chop; former US marine Amir Hekmati from Flint, Michigan (wasn't that Michael Moore's hometown in Bowling for Columbine)
    who is accused of designing a computer game called "Assault on Iran"

Makes you wonder why these guys don't make more use of Skype to stay in touch with the relatives back in Iran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

recedite wrote: »
    "Malekpour, who is a permanent Canadian resident on the path the citizenship there, returned to his native Iran in 2008 to visit his dying grandfather.
    He was picked up off the street by plainclothes Iranian policemen and taken to Evin Prison"

I would have though that the Canadian authorities might have something to say about this...

MrP

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement