Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hazards of Belief

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Some good news for once:

Witchcraft murder: Couple guilty of Kristy Bamu killing

A couple have been found guilty of murdering a teenager they had accused of using witchcraft.
    Eric Bikubi, 28, and Magalie Bamu, aged 29, from Newham, east London, had denied killing Bamu's 15-year-old brother Kristy.
    Kristy drowned in a bath on Christmas Day in 2010, during torture to produce exorcism, an Old Bailey jury heard.
    Bikubi had admitted manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility, but the prosecution rejected his plea.
    The pair, who were remanded in custody, are due to be sentenced on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I was going to post these in 'The Funny Side of religion', but they're not funny.

@Mods: Please move if they're in wrong thread. Thanks.

w8dwW.jpg

RQxvA.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Church up the Swannee sans paddle, says Martin:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/church-at-breaking-point-says-archbishop-3038487.html

I'd quote the article for the record, but under NoShitSherlock's SOPA, I believe am prohibited from doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

robindch wrote: »
    Church up the Swannee sans paddle, says Martin:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/church-at-breaking-point-says-archbishop-3038487.html

I'd quote the article for the record, but under NoShitSherlock's SOPA, I believe am prohibited from doing so.

I wonder if the Vatican worries about the people of Ireland turning away from the church, since they have so many other customers worldwide? There are bigger markets such as:

(In millions)
    Brazil 137
    Mexico 95
    Philippines 75
    N. America 74
    Italy 53
    France 40
    And
    Ireland 3.7-ish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_by_country

I doubt the pope is losing sleep but Martin certainly is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Jernal wrote: »
    Well well, Miley might find herself a candidate for the 'Good looking atheist/agnostic' thread soon. Tis a bit bare in there at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From the New York Daily News:
    A two-week old boy died at a Brooklyn hospital in September after contracting herpes through a religious circumcision ritual that ignited controversy in 2005 after another infant died, the Daily News has learned. The unidentified infant died Sept. 28, 2011, at Maimonides Hospital, according to a spokeswoman for the city Medical Examiner, who confirmed the death after a News inquiry.
    The cause of death was listed as “disseminated herpes simplex virus Type 1, complicating ritual circumcision with oral suction.”

Circumcision is harmless, eh? :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Well well, Miley might find herself a candidate for the 'Good looking atheist/agnostic' thread soon.
    Yeah, she could probably qualify if she combed the hair and touched up those eyebrows a bit.

bnt wrote: »
    That is the most disgusting "religious practice" I have heard of for a long time :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

recedite wrote: »
    That is the most disgusting "religious practice" I have heard of for a long time :mad:

Is this right? The child died along with others because the rabbi sucked blood from his penis skin and the adult was infected with herpes and, it seems, he knew this because other children had died?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Hang on... The rabbi stops the bleeding... By putting the child's penis in his mouth? Am I getting this right? Because that sounds a little... Well, rapey.

Is this right? The child died along with others because the rabbi sucked blood from his penis skin and the adult was infected with herpes and, it seems, he knew this because other children had died?
    That's right. I wonder if they ate the baby afterwards?

I'm actually going to look into this further, but thankfully not tonight. This story is off the scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well, yes. Note that it was apparently oral herpes simplex type 1, the virus that causes cold sores and other minor symptoms in adults, not the STD (type 2). But that doesn't excuse the practice, does it? Some rabbis are strongly against it e.g. this guy.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

recedite wrote: »
    I am not even going to read the link... "with oral suction” is quite enough, thanks very much.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭swampgas

Hey, I guess we're supposed to "respect" this traditional religious ritual, right? Because its religious, and that makes it okay .... right?

*suppresses urge to puke*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Catholic Church should have taken a leaf out of their book, they could have raped all the kids they wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Oi Vey, what are you doing to my little boy fellow goat herder!!

Er, Em, Eh........Oh yes, I was just instructed by Yahwey the lord our God that as an offering to him I must suck your sons penis.

Oh, Yahwey told you to do it. Thats ok then. Please continue. I feel blessed my Son was the first boy chosen for this holy blessed tradition.

Religion. Normalising twisted sh1t for Millenia.

Rush Limbaugh recently landed himself in very hot water over his character assassination of Sandra Fluke. However, it wasn't just Sandra Fluke who suffered as a result of this.

In a nut shell : 16 year old with a medical condition that requires Birth Control medication gets openly torn to shreds at school.

Rush Limbaugh [...]
    Words fail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

LSGdA.jpg

Rush Limbaugh recently landed himself in very hot water over his character assassination of Sandra Fluke. However, it wasn't just Sandra Fluke who suffered as a result of this.
    Looks like that fat cretin went chin-to-chin with the wrong mom:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17263546
    http://thinkprogress.org/media/2012/03/05/438178/10th-advertiser-bonobos-drops-limbaugh/

Yesterday's update from beantown mom here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Very dismayed to hear someone on the radio this morning say that contraception was actually an election issue for the US presidential race. What is this, the 1940's?

A clear indicator that the US education system is failing when religiousity is increasing. Or maybe it's religion going extreme in its death throes.

seamus wrote: »
    A clear indicator that the US education system is failing when religiousity is increasing. Or maybe it's religion going extreme in its death throes.
    I believe it's the latter: as the unengaged middle desert religion, the floor is left open to the nutters at the extreme.

Look at publications like Alive and what's pumped out by organizations like EWTN -- I suspect they're now perceived by many as the voice of the religion, and what sane person would want to be associated with them? In a strange way, easy access to mass-media, and the ham-fisted, supremacist way in which it's used, may well be causing people to leave the church in droves.

To quote Frank Herbert:

Here lies a toppled god
    His fall was not a small one.
    We did but build his pedestal,
    A narrow and a tall one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

seamus wrote: »
    Very dismayed to hear someone on the radio this morning say that contraception was actually an election issue for the US presidential race. What is this, the 1940's?

It is truely terrifying to see such an advanced country is becoming so backward.

I think that the Americans let Al Quaeda beat them: the attacks on the WTC lit a touch paper that has sparked an 'us Vs them' mentality, and now America is tearing itself apart from the inside.

d2GPJ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Man sues his church for supposedly stopping him from becoming the next Man United superstar (of course he was a mediocre footballer anyway who had yet to progress beyond the Portugese third division by the age of 25):
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10790160

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

Galvasean wrote: »
    Man sues his church for supposedly stopping him from becoming the next Man United superstar (of course he was a mediocre footballer anyway who had yet to progress beyond the Portugese third division by the age of 25):
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10790160

This chap seems to have learnt a trick or two also. He has a book, in which he backs up his "facts" with personal evidence.

Wonder where he got the idea to back up his claims with a book he wrote, from :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

make sure to read the link magicbastarder provided, as there is a lot of bad press flying around about the group behind the video.

While it's good to draw attention to the situation, it's also good to know a bit about the group that started the hype with the video. So thanks again for the link, magicbastarder:)

If you can read this, you're too close!

It is an excellent campaign, but not in the way many people think. Invisible Children appear to be a sock puppet of the Ugandan government trying to eliminate a rival. The Ugandan government aren't exactly good guys either. Uganda is considered one of the most corrupt nations in the world with a truly appalling human rights record (for example it is illegal to be gay there and such is punishable under death).
    In essence the (good intentioned) people helping make Kony 'famous' by helping the Invisible Children video go viral are little more than unwitting pawns in a power struggle between two corrupt powers.

GF53W.jpg

(small print)

Holy chicken baps! This is for real! I thought it was a clever parody. They reserve the right to discuss my previous sexual history! To serve fries? Southern baptists, God bless'em!

Q9vKM.png

A few more from this 'genius'. :rolleyes:

If the Bible had said that Jonah swallowed the whale, I would believe it.

One miracle is just as easy to believe as another.

The parents have a right to say that no teacher paid by their money shall rob their children of faith in God and send them back to their homes skeptical, or infidels, or agnostics, or atheists.

Q9vKM.png

A few more from this 'genius'. :rolleyes:

If the Bible had said that Jonah swallowed the whale, I would believe it.

One miracle is just as easy to believe as another.

The parents have a right to say that no teacher paid by their money shall rob their children of faith in God and send them back to their homes skeptical, or infidels, or agnostics, or atheists.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, It is a thing to be acheived.

Or
    ---NASA's Space Shuttle Program.

I rather like the quote too. It's not really fair to be sarcastic about him, he like many others was under the illusion that evolution meant no human morality. When people believe things like that then they're obviously going to be biased. :D

It's not really fair to be sarcastic about him [...]
    I'm not so sure about that -- Bryan was an agrarian cretin who beat whatever populist drum was nearest and loudest. A man who ran, if memory serves, for president three times on behalf of the Democratic party, but who did so without the benefit of an education, or much obvious honesty.

For choosing to defend at the Scopes Money Trial of 1925, Bryan was pwned thusly, and permanently, by HL Mencken:

http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/menck01.htm
    http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/menck02.htm
    http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/menck03.htm
    http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/menck04.htm
    http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/menck05.htm

IMHO, Mencken's pungent and unforgiving prose describes creationism, and William Jennings Bryan, flawlessly. Even 90 years later, it's still funny :)

I think you kind of missed my point Rob. I'm not saying he didn't hold idiotic beliefs, I'm saying that he held such views because he felt evolution implied no morality and to people like that they'll take any alternative. Not wanting reality to be a certain way can cause anyone to be become a prime nutter. :)

• Advertisement

I'm saying that he held such views because he felt evolution implied no morality and to people like that they'll take any alternative.
    Yes, that's right :) But the reason he thought that way was because he believed the normative fallacy, something that no enlightened adult should. Especially in somebody who put themselves forward three times as candidate for president of the USA. But Bryan didn't care, and instead, used other people's acceptance of the normative fallacy -- same as creationists do today -- to stir up fear and hatred amongst similarly unenlightened twits for electoral advantage.

It explains why he had the views he had, but it doesn't excuse them.

BTW, have a read of the Mencken -- it really is great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

Here's what Christopher Hitchens had to say about Kony back in 2006.
    http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2006/01/hitchens200601?new
    For 19 years, Joseph Kony has been enslaving, torturing, raping, and murdering Ugandan children, many of whom have become soldiers for his "Lord's Resistance Army," going on to torture, rape, and kill other children. The author exposes the vicious insanity—and cynical politics—behind one of Africa's greatest nightmares.

Hitchens hated Kony before it was cool. I liked Hitchens before he died (and therefore became cool).
    Does that make me very cool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Hitchens hated Kony before it was cool. I liked Hitchens before he died (and therefore became cool).
    Does that make me very cool?

*glances at the forums Galv mods*

Probably not :pac:

Sonics2k wrote: »
    *glances at the forums Galv mods*

Probably not :pac:

WHHHHAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT?????????????????????????
    g1-221-desertion-of-the-dinobots-part1%20(27).gif

I'll have you know I get more ass than a toilet seat
    that is located in an abandoned factory

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

Not strictly a hazard of belief hazard, but these kind of things get discussed often enough here it's worth posting. Article deals with US state laws criminalising pregnant women who attempt suicide.
    http://www.thenation.com/article/166664/protect-pregnant-women-free-bei-bei-shuai
    On March 14, Bei Bei Shuai will have spent one full year in jail in Marion County, Indiana. Her crime? The prosecutor calls it attempted feticide and murder. What it really is: attempting suicide while pregnant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

WHHHHAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT?????????????????????????
    g1-221-desertion-of-the-dinobots-part1%20(27).gif

I'll have you know I get more ass than a toilet seat
    that is located in an abandoned factory

Completely off-topic, but I recently watched the original animated movie from decades ago.

It was awful, and I loved every moment of it!

Inhofe: Well actually the Genesis 8:22 that I use in there is that ‘as long as the earth remains there will be seed time and harvest, cold and heat, winter and summer, day and night,’ my point is, God’s still up there. The arrogance of people to think that we, human beings, would be able to change what He is doing in the climate is to me outrageous.

Because god! (puts fingers in ears) "La la la la la la can't hear you". What a skidmark this f*cktard is!

<yt>EKd6UJPghUs<yt>

Inhofe: Well actually the Genesis 8:22 that I use in there is that ‘as long as the earth remains there will be seed time and harvest, cold and heat, winter and summer, day and night,’ my point is, God’s still up there. The arrogance of people to think that we, human beings, would be able to change what He is doing in the climate is to me outrageous.

Because god! (puts fingers in ears) "La la la la la la can't hear you". What a skidmark this f*cktard is!

I'm literally........stuck for words.:eek:

I'm literally........stuck for words.:eek:

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/james-inhofe-says-bible-refutes-climate-change?rss

It gets worse:
    Inhofe: There’s another piece of Scripture I’ll mention which I should’ve mentioned, no one seems to remember this, the smartest thing the activists did in trying to put their program through is try to get the evangelicals on their side, so they hired a guy named Cizik, and he had his picture in front of Vanity magazine dressed like Jesus walking on water. He has been exposed since then to be the liberal that he is. I would say that the other Scripture that I use quite frequently on this subject is Romans 1:25, ‘They give up the truth about God for a lie and they worship God’s creation instead of God, who will be praised forever.’ In other words, they are trying to say we should worship the creation. We were reminded back in Romans that this was going to happen and sure enough it’s happening.

What have Liberals got to do with anything?

Oh look. Those silly people are trying to look after their home planet. :confused:

This guy is probably being rewarded handsomely to downplay the issue of Global Warming. It's all about the Benjamins ($$$$$$).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Stoned to death for being an emo: NINETY Iraqi students killed for having 'strange hair and tight clothes'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2112960/90-students-Iraq-stoned-death-having-Emo-hair-tight-clothes.html

Al-Bayaty said the killings appear to have been carried out by extremist Shia militias in mostly poor Shia neighborhoods and said she suspected 'there's complicity of the Ministry of Interior in the killings.'
    A group of armed men dressed in civilian clothing led dozens of teenagers to secluded areas a few days ago, stoned them to death, and then disposed their bodies in garbage dumpsters across the capital, according to activists, activists told the Cairo-based al-Akhbar website.
    The armed men are said to belong to 'one of the most extremist religious groups' in Iraq.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement