Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hazards of Belief

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Jernal wrote: »
    Thesis progressing nicely then? :pac:

Why do they believe that many were killed by the flood? Where does the figure come from? It doesn't say it in the bible does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah, we need to know if it's in the Bible, or just made up!

oh. wait.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

shizz wrote: »
    Why do they believe that many were killed by the flood? Where does the figure come from? It doesn't say it in the bible does it?
    I don't think mathematical accuracy is one of their strengths. The main point is; God hates loads of people and He doesnt hesitate to kill randomly. So be afraid, be very afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

WARNING: NSFW (Dead bodies)

Salvation Assured in the Ganges.

http://imgur.com/a/x0UQO

My friend is a Hindu from North West India and when I showed him this, he replied in an email:
    Question :Wonder why i gave up my indian citizenship to become Irish citizen..
    Answer : Becoz theses type of people who just dont want to grow and keep up with 21st century india ahead..

Man its scary.. imagine going for a visit at night ? WTF..

• Moderators Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

American pastor (not in video) wants gays/lesbians imprisoned and let die.:eek::eek:

From the video, "if they (gay people) can't reproduce, they will die out".

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

recedite wrote: »
    I don't think mathematical accuracy is one of their strengths. The main point is; God hates loads of people and He doesnt hesitate to kill randomly. So be afraid, be very afraid.

Yeah but I've seen it mentioned outside of the westboro baptist church so I thought that they may have put forward some reasoning behind it. And when I say reasoning I mean their deluded reasoning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

koth wrote: »
    American pastor (not in video) wants gays/lesbians imprisoned and let die.:eek::eek:

From the video, "if they (gay people) can't reproduce, they will die out".

I think watching that video gave me brain damage:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

This woman has just been hired by a Government Minister here as a spin doctor dealing with the press - at higher than the pay limit of course.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

oGGRo.jpg

Somewhat disturbing.

Edit: So disturbing I'll double check it because there's no ****ing way... brb

Right, so from wiki
    "In the United States, seven state constitutions officially include religious tests that would effectively prevent atheists from holding public office, and in some cases being a juror/witness, though these have not generally been enforced since the early nineteenth century."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Well you know, an atheist cannot become president of Ireland (without lying) either, so it shouldn't be all that surprising.

• Moderators Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Texas, Article 1, Section 4 of the state constitution.
    Section 4 prohibits office holders from the requirements of any religious test, provided they "acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being".

How exactly does that gel with a country that supposedly has separation of church and state? :confused:

If you can read this, you're too close!

Texas, Article 1, Section 4 of the state constitution.

How exactly does that gel with a country that supposedly has separation of church and state? :confused:

Well it doesn't say what church/god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Quote:
    Section 4 prohibits office holders from the requirements of any religious test, provided they "acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being".

Does Santa qualify as a Supreme Being?
    Or how about Mohammad?

(Of course, I'm talking about Muhammad Ali. The Greatest. The Supreme Being.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

A "serpent-handling" West Virginia pastor died after his rattlesnake bit him during a church ritual, just as the man had apparently watched a snake kill his father years before.

Was Mark wrong?
    Mark 16: 17-18 reads, "And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."

"I am looking for a great time this Sunday," he posted on Facebook.

More here.

He's in a better place now, I guess (even though he died a painful, slow death).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Kivaro wrote: »
    A "serpent-handling" West Virginia pastor died after his rattlesnake bit him during a church ritual, just as the man had apparently watched a snake kill his father years before.

Was Mark wrong?
    Mark 16: 17-18 reads, "And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."

More here.
    Daily Mail wrote:
    Wolford had been bitten three times before, but never sought medical attention, saying that a bite was a test of his faith.

Wow. He must have been having doubts about his faith.

He failed the final exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Was Mark wrong?

More here.

He's in a better place now, I guess (even though he died a painful, slow death).

Someone should have told the Pastor that anything after Mark 16:8 is not authentic to the Gospel, it is a forged ending.

Up for a Darwin Award surely?

More on the demise of Mr Wolford in the Washington Post which had profiled his activities last November:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/serpent-handling-pastor-profiled-earlier-in-washington-post-dies-from-rattlesnake-bite/2012/05/29/gJQAJef5zU_story.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The snake probably blamed it on the gays.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile, Spanish catholics having presumably sorted out the sick, sick, sick dead-baby-scandal currently rocking the church there, a group of Spanish catholic lawyers is prosecuting an underground film-maker who, in 1978, produced a film of 54 seconds, which they allege is blasphemous:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/spanish-artist-faces-prison-over-film-made-in-1978-7792719.html

The film-maker, Javier Krahe, faces up to a year in prison if found guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

robindch wrote: »
    Meanwhile, Spanish catholics having presumably sorted out the sick, sick, sick dead-baby-scandal currently rocking the church there, a group of Spanish catholic lawyers is prosecuting an underground film-maker who, in 1978, produced a film of 54 seconds, which they allege is blasphemous:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/spanish-artist-faces-prison-over-film-made-in-1978-7792719.html

The film-maker, Javier Krahe, faces up to a year in prison if found guilty.

Hopefully someone puts it onto YouTube and the Streisand Effect kicks in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

If it wasnt a child Id put it in "the Funny side".

TylerIE wrote: »

If it wasnt a child Id put it in "the Funny side".

That's what having christian Madrassas get you. Utterly revolting. Those children are probably broken.

They really have more in common with radical muslims than they'd care to admit.

Re the snake handler, the article says: "Wolford was trying to keep the practice alive." That's a fail so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

A RECLUSIVE old man who lived in a shed has left a £60,000 legacy to his local church.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4134108/Old-man-who-lived-in-shed-leaves-60k-to-local-church.html

Could have given the money to a charity or hospital. Well, at least the grass will be cut, they might even plant flowers. :rolleyes:

Edit: Just found this, man leaves 1.7 BILLION euro will to catholic church.

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/International/2012/Apr-03/169058-businessman-opens-heavens-gates-with-17-bn-euro-will.ashx#axzz1wTGXrsJk

How often does this happen? I want in on this action.

A RECLUSIVE old man who lived in a shed has left a £60,000 legacy to his local church.
    Strangely when he left money to "the church" he seems to have left the money for the actual building, not the organisation. It doesn't even say if he attended it himself. He just liked the look of it :pac:
    How often does this happen?
    Ever visit a hospital or a hospice? The places are swarming with clergy. Worse than vultures for hanging around dying people, especially rich ones :mad:

recedite wrote: »
    Strangely when he left money to "the church" he seems to have left the money for the actual building, not the organisation. It doesn't even say if he attended it himself. He just liked the look of it :pac:

Ever visit a hospital or a hospice? The places are swarming with clergy. Worse than vultures for hanging around dying people, especially rich ones :mad:

I'd say they only get a pittance from the collection plates.

Taking property off old people is where the con really kicks in.

My dad mentioned to me that an order of Irish nuns owns billions in property. Anyone know if that's true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4134108/Old-man-who-lived-in-shed-leaves-60k-to-local-church.html

Could have given the money to a charity or hospital. Well, at least the grass will be cut, they might even plant flowers. :rolleyes:

Edit: Just found this, man leaves 1.7 BILLION euro will to catholic church.

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/International/2012/Apr-03/169058-businessman-opens-heavens-gates-with-17-bn-euro-will.ashx#axzz1wTGXrsJk

How often does this happen? I want in on this action.

Does this mean they can finally pay all those compensation claims in full?

No?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Misty May

Ever visit a hospital or a hospice? The places are swarming with clergy. Worse than vultures for hanging around dying people, especially rich ones :mad:[/QUOTE]

Where did you get these facts from & when was the last time you visited a hospital or a hospice? I suspect your bigotry has gone a little too far. Many people who are ill or dying enjoy the presence of clergy and get great comfort from their presence. Seriously "swarming" that has to be a joke.:)

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    My dad mentioned to me that an order of Irish nuns owns billions in property. Anyone know if that's true?
    It may well be irrelevant, since every religious order (of the ones I checked, which are part of the Residential Institution Redress Board settlement) employed top-flight lawyers to asset strip their organizations into trusts stuffed with compliant trustees, lest the government come after them to pay their fair share of the ridiculously lenient deal they were offered. If the legislative wills of the current and previous governments is anything to go by, the religious orders needn't have worried and they could have continued partying as they wished, while the tax payer picked up the tab for the abuse they oversaw.

Outside of Ireland, well, the Legion of Christ is alleged to control around $25 billion in assets, apparently acquired by means which some allege are little different from abuse of the lonely or vulnerable.

Misty May wrote: »
    Where did you get these facts from & when was the last time you visited a hospital or a hospice? I suspect your bigotry has gone a little too far.
    Well, the church could stop that rumour dead in its tracks by publishing statistics on how much money it picks up from bequests, and how much it picks up from church collections and other income sources.

Stats are almost impossible to come by, but of the little I've heard, I'd imagine that vast majority, probably well over 90%, of the church's irregular income comes from bequests of one kind or another. It would therefore stand to reason -- as well as basic human decency -- that the religious would preferentially spend time with the sick and dying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

The Legion of Christ are reported as having assets worth in the region of €22 billion.

robindch wrote: »
    It may well be irrelevant, since every religious order (of the ones I checked, which are part of the Residential Institution Redress Board settlement) employed top-flight lawyers to asset strip their organizations into trusts stuffed with compliant trustees, lest the government come after them to pay their fair share of the ridiculously lenient deal they were offered.

Isn't there a Hunter S. Thompson quote that goes along the lines of 'never trust a holy man, with god on his side he'll screw you on both sides of the deal' ? Can't find it...

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

ninja900 wrote: »
    Isn't there a Hunter S. Thompson quote that goes along the lines of 'never trust a holy man, with god on his side he'll screw you on both sides of the deal' ? Can't find it...

William S, Burroughs Words of Advice for Young People
    If you're doing business with a religious son-of-a-bitch, get it in writing. His word isn't worth sh!t. Not with the good lord telling him how to fuc you on the deal.
    Is that the one?

That's the one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

ninja900 wrote: »
    That's the one :)

It's a good one! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Not sure where exactly to post this in A&A. Would rather avoid that abomination of a thread.

Did anyone else feel Prometheus was a little er pro ID and produced a Darwinian strawman? I know movies don't really need accuracy but this is one that is going to misleadingly resonate (wrongly imo) with a large audience. So yup Hazard!:pac:

Not sure where exactly to post this in A&A. Would rather avoid that abomination of a thread.

Did anyone else feel Prometheus was a little er pro ID and produced a Darwinian strawman? I know movies don't really need accuracy but this is one that is going to misleadingly resonate (wrongly imo) with a large audience. So yup Hazard!:pac:

It's ok.:P I often get annoyed by nonsense stereotypes about nuclear power in films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's ok.:P I often get annoyed by nonsense stereotypes about nuclear power in films.

Well I'm a sucker for 24. Absolutely love it, but I cannot but cringe at their disaster assessments for Nuclear Reactor meltdowns in S4. I think the figure Curtis gave per reactor was 1 million dead in the first half hour. How? How!? How the!!?? :confused:

Well I'm a sucker for 24. Absolutely love it, but I cannot but cringe at their disaster assessments for Nuclear Reactor meltdowns in S4. I think the figure Curtis gave per reactor was 1 million dead in the first half hour. How? How!? How the!!?? :confused:

I think with the artistic license they freely interchange nuclear bomb and nuclear reactor.

Another one from one of those terrible resident evil films where they said that Umbrella corporation would drop a nuke on the city and then pass it off as an accident in the nuclear plant. How the actual ****?

Jaysus.. there's a whole other thread of "misrepresentations of science in popular culture".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Careful now... Don't want to hear a bad word about Prometheus - I'm booked in for Wednesday!

And Resident Evil has yet to do wrong ( as long as they have Milla...)

I often get annoyed by nonsense stereotypes about nuclear power in films real life.

One of life's constant annoyances is that one has to continually remind onself that the media is controlled by scientifically illiterate, innumerate, arts graduates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

For months I've been carefully avoiding every trailer, news report and tease for Prometheus. Did not expect to see it come up on the Hazards of Belief thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The aliens are Kaiser Soze!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Fantastic use of 3D, imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....I'm supposed to be going tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

Nodin wrote: »
    ....I'm supposed to be going tonight.

Oh, Oh !!

Atheist and Regular poster here = Logical mind

Logical Mind + Prometheus = :eek: :confused::confused::confused: :mad:

:D

kylith wrote: »
    Fantastic use of 3D, imo
    Damned with faint praise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Calibos wrote: »
    Oh, Oh !!

Atheist and Regular poster here = Logical mind

Logical Mind + Prometheus = :eek: :confused::confused::confused: :mad:

:D

One has to occassionally turn down the brain, or it would render various entertaining movies, books and the like unwatchable. Otherwise you'd be out the door or switching the channel everytime anyone said "light speed".

I saw it, and it made me sufficiently happy in the pants.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement