Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hazards of Belief

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Creationists in Louisiana endorse the Loch Ness monster as evidence against evolution:

http://theadvocate.com/news/opinion/3590598-123/our-views-louisianas-loch-ness

The State Superintendent of Schools says that state-standardized tests are designed to test evolution, so it seems that as long as the tests come out ok, then the Superintendent is ok with it. And creationists can therefore say what they like to kids without fear of any interference from the people who are paid to protect them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Basically, previous referendums left us in a situation where abortion was allowable in cases where the pregnancy was a threat to the woman's life. But in the intervening years, politicians have failed to put in any legislation or procedures to allow for that.
    The European Court of Human Rights is saying that the delay is unacceptable. The politicians must now bring in some kind of abortion legislation, unless Cardinal Brady can somehow head them off by precipitating a new referendum banning all abortions......but even if he does that, can he win it?
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1216/abortion.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Seventeen civilians have been killed by Taliban insurgents in Afghanistan's southern Helmand province, reportedly for attending a party.

The bodies of two women and 15 men were found by the side of a road in the Musa Qala district.

They were either beheaded or had had their throats cut. Some showed signs of beatings or had gunshot wounds.

Meanwhile, 10 Afghan army soldiers were killed in a Taliban attack in the same province.

In eastern Afghanistan, two US soldiers were shot dead by an Afghan National Army soldier.

The bodies of the 17 civilians were discovered on Monday morning.

Local officials said the men had gathered to listen to music and watch the women dance when they were attacked. The Taliban disapprove of men and women mixing socially.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19388869

Evidently the concepts of "proportionate" and "fuck off and mind your own business" have no meaning in the local dialect.

Beard cuttin and wife sexin......its the latest thing....
    Sixteen members of a breakaway Amish group accused of hair-cutting attacks against members of their own faith in Ohio are set to go on trial this week in Cleveland.
    The group's leader and several family members are among those charged with hate crimes in what prosecutors say were attacks motivated by religious differences. They could face prison terms of 20 years or more if convicted.
    The community split from another Amish settlement in Ohio nearly two decades ago following a dispute over religious differences.
    Those charged include the group's leader Samuel Mullet Sr.
    Authorities claim that as the head of the splinter faith group, he allowed beatings of those who disobeyed him, had sex with married women to "cleanse them", and then, last fall, instructed his followers to cut the beards and hair of his critics, an act considered deeply offensive in Amish culture.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/aug/26/amish-beard-cutting-trial

It appears "other motives" may account for that Afghan massacre
    The Taliban have killed 17 civilians – reportedly by cutting their throats – in a remote and violent corner of Afghanistan's Helmand province that government officials admitted is entirely beyond their control.
    The reason for the slaughter was variously given as a fight between two Taliban commanders over women, Taliban anger over a music and dance party, or an insurgent crackdown on suspected government informers.
    The group, which included two women, were killed early on Sunday afternoon but news of their deaths only reached government-held areas on Monday.
    "This happened in a desert area, known as Roshanabad, which is not under the control of the government," said the Kajaki district governor, Mullah Sharafuddin, who said he did not know the motive behind the bloody attack. "I am the governor but I don't have full details because this land is under Taliban control."
    The Helmand police commander was told the 17 victims were targeted as government spies, said spokesman Farid Ahmad Farhang, who also acknowledged the area was in insurgent hands.
    The provincial governor's spokesman said the dead were probably caught up in a fight between two rival Taliban commanders for control of the dead women.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/aug/27/taliban-execute-civilians-at-party

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Wiggles88

Arizona Law states "pregnancy begins two weeks before conception"

Im not sure they understand how conception works...
    Steinberg explained the law by saying, “The law defines pregnancy in a way that bans abortion two weeks before the other seven states who have similar laws. It calculates gestational age starting with the first day of the last menstrual period rather than the date of conception.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually not that crazy. The traditional way to date pregnancy is from the beginning of the last menstrual cycle, such that pregnancies are on average 38 weeks from conception. But when dating the pregnancy, the additional two weeks (or whatever) are always added.

That's nothing to do with ideology, it's for the simple fact that the start of the last menstrual cycle is easier to date than the conception.

The article doesn't make it clear what exactly the issue is with the defintion in Arizona law. They try to make it sound like it bans abortions two weeks before a child is even conceived, but that's not really correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Scientology's child labour camp in Australia.
    Right in the middle of a quiet suburb is a place where children are separated from their parents, and forced to work full time for no pay, and live in squalid conditions.

Shane is now 21-years-old. Until just over a year ago he had never used the internet, watched television or followed the media.

“You're not allowed to read any books other than scientology books, you can't read newspapers, no radio, no movies, nothing,” Shane said.

Shane says he was held captive and groomed to see all of us on the outside as pathetic, useless and stupid.

Child beatings, abuse and indoctrination. Just a normal day in the world of religion. :(:(

Nodin wrote: »
    Beard cuttin and wife sexin......its the latest thing....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/aug/26/amish-beard-cutting-trial

There's nothing quite like being the leader of a religious cult. You just make up rules as you go along. I wonder why god always tells the leader that he'd like him to have sex with many women/ other peoples wives? :rolleyes:

Do the amish drink? I think they sponsor an Irish stout. It's called Beamish. Be amish. :pac:

/ gets coat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

The haircut guy is called Mullet:)
    I wonder did he use a sharp knife or one of those new-fangled scissor contraptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Wiggles88

seamus wrote: »
    Actually not that crazy. The traditional way to date pregnancy is from the beginning of the last menstrual cycle, such that pregnancies are on average 38 weeks from conception. But when dating the pregnancy, the additional two weeks (or whatever) are always added.

That's nothing to do with ideology, it's for the simple fact that the start of the last menstrual cycle is easier to date than the conception.

The article doesn't make it clear what exactly the issue is with the defintion in Arizona law. They try to make it sound like it bans abortions two weeks before a child is even conceived, but that's not really correct.

Ah, I stand corrected.
    The reason I thought it was interesting was it seems though they changed the legal definition of the date of conception they haven't amended the abortion laws which were created using the older legal definition hence shortening the window for abortion (although admittedly the article isnt the clearest) without ever mentioning abortion themselves which seems quite crafty.

The BBC on the latest child "preacher":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19377143

Can't believe that parents allow their kids to do this kind of thing. It's obscene.

robindch wrote: »
    The BBC on the latest child "preacher":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19377143

Can't believe that parents allow their kids to do this kind of thing. It's obscene.

It's probably lucrative, however.

The parents are just starting the kids off a bit younger than usual in the family business.
    OK, the kids probably miss out on their education, but when did education ever improve someone's faith anyway?
    Ezekiel's mother and stepfather are both pastors, and two years ago set up their own church with white-painted brick walls, red curtains, flowers, and a sound-system so loud you can feel it pulse inside your chest.
    And it was there, in the Fullness of Time Church in Capitol Heights, Maryland, that earlier this year, Ezekiel was ordained as a minister, and his brother, Hezekiah, a deacon.

"Wise Blood" comes to mind.

Besides, when you look at the way many of these churches are organised, the word "racket" is never far away. In fairness, a lot of the bigger ones do seem to offer some serious facilities for the tithe, but then again, so does a "country club", without the claim to moral authority.

AWK3s.jpg

Prayer moved the Hurricane.

Checkmate Atheists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Those folks in Louisiana and Mississippi mustn't be true Christians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

fitz0 wrote: »
    Those folks in Louisiana and Mississippi mustn't be true Christians.

Is it a legitimate hurricane?

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Is it a legitimate hurricane?
    Well, were the parental weather systems married?

• Advertisement

Well, were the parental weather systems married?

Plus, consider that New Orleans has been hit twice - same date seven years apart. That cannot be coincidence! I smell 'doings'. New Orleans is inviting hurricanes with it's devil jazz music and spicy creole cooking. The good lord did not make food for our pleasure. Food is required to keep us alive and should be used for that purpose and that purpose only.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    New Orleans is inviting hurricanes with it's devil jazz music and spicy creole cooking.
    And they've a Democratic mayor. 'Nuff said really, I suppose.

Meanwhile, here's some news from over the border in Texas:

http://www.news-journal.com/news/local/lawsuit-claims-black-sacker-ban-from-big-sandy-grocery-store/article_211e8217-acdf-5489-8915-8f6cc7900470.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,574 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Could be to do with the voodoo that they doo ;)

Scrap the cap!

*speechless with a hint of :eek: and a tincture of :rolleyes:*

Until now I had no idea whatsoever what a black sacker was. Actually Ted I still don't.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Anyone remember Cletus the slack jawed yokel from The Simpsons? I can't help imagine this idiot's words spoken in Cletus' voice. What an a**hole!

• Advertisement

Italian cardinal describes the church as "200 years out of date":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19451439
    Our culture has grown old, our churches are big and empty and the church bureacracy rises up, our religious rites and the vestments we wear are pompous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Italian cardinal describes the church as "200 years out of date":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19451439

The above should be a topic on it own. Everyone in the church knows that major reform must happen and sooner the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Catholic priest blames children for sexual abuse:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/331892

seriously...

Links234 wrote: »
    Catholic priest blames children for sexual abuse:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/331892

seriously...

Damned sexy children.

fitz0 wrote: »
    Damned sexy children.

No - if you read what he says it's obviously the fault of single mothers. See, these poor kids have no daddy so they are looking for a Father-Figure...who kisses them, sleeps with them, ....um.... has anyone taken a good look at what this man got up with his father if he thinks that is normal behavior to engage in with a 'father-figure'??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Fortyniner

What is going on? Have we not moved on at all?

Is this what's expected from the USA - catholic mass in catholic Ireland in a state building before a game?

http://www.thejournal.ie/notre-dame-mass-dublin-castle-581110-Sep2012/#slide-slideshow1

Fortyniner wrote: »
    Is this what's expected from the USA - catholic mass in catholic Ireland in a state building before a game?
    Yes, unfortunately. There has been an unusually large number of priests and leprechauns around Dublin this weekend.
    But if it brings in the dollars, I'll even dress up as one meself, begorrah.

Fortyniner wrote: »
    What is going on? Have we not moved on at all? Is this what's expected from the USA - catholic mass in catholic Ireland in a state building before a game?
    I would respectfully submit that we probably have. Here, roughly, was the exchange between CerebralCortex and your truly as we left the Lordy Edwina and met J Random American, a beer-drinking Notre Dame supporter in the Bull and Castle just across the road:

CC: Hey, welcome to Ireland! Did you guys win today?
    JRA: Hey, yeah! No-ter-day-m ferever! You and we catholics, best in the world!
    CCRH: Uh, not us.
    JRA: What?
    CCRH: Well, do you see that pub across the road? Well, we were at a beerfest for skeptics and Ireland's largest forum for atheists + agnostics!
    JRA: (JRA makes overtly sexual gestures, then says: ) Suck my sperm and die!
    CCRH: Er, no interest my friend, we're not priests.
    JRA to friend: See those guys? They don't believe in god like I do.
    RH: Well, hope you make it out of bed nice'n'early'n'fresh tomorrow morning. That church there (points to Christchurch) does the best catholic services in town -- enjoy!

Charming people :)

The bizarro thing is that there's a perfectly good christian church in the grounds of Dublin Castle already... just not the 'right' type of christian :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

Twould appear somebody was stirring the shite....
    Pakistani police have arrested an imam accused of planting burnt pages of the Koran in the bag of a Christian girl accused of blasphemy, officials say.
    The girl was detained two weeks ago near the capital Islamabad after an angry mob demanded she be punished.
    However, a witness has testified that imam Khalid Chishti put the pages in the bag himself, local media say.
    The case of the girl, named as Rimsha, who is said to be about 14, has sparked international condemnation.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19454739

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I would respectfully submit that we probably have. Here, roughly, was the exchange between CerebralCortex and your truly as we left the Lordy Edwina and met J Random American, a beer-drinking Notre Dame supporter in the Bull and Castle just across the road:

CC: Hey, welcome to Ireland! Did you guys win today?
    JRA: Hey, yeah! No-ter-day-m ferever! You and we catholics, best in the world!
    CCRH: Uh, not us.
    JRA: What?
    CCRH: Well, do you see that pub across the road? Well, we were at a beerfest for skeptics and Ireland's largest forum for atheists + agnostics!
    JRA: (JRA makes overtly sexual gestures, then says: ) Suck my sperm and die!
    CCRH: Er, no interest my friend, we're not priests.
    JRA to friend: See those guys? They don't believe in god like I do.
    RH: Well, hope you make it out of bed nice'n'early'n'fresh tomorrow morning. That church there (points to Christchurch) does the best catholic services in town -- enjoy!

Charming people :)
    What did they say when you told them Christchurch was protestant?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Calling this festival "The Gathering" creeps me out. I wouldn't be surprised if a ring of black holographic monoliths showed up. :pac:

kylith wrote: »

3937402+_13acb23c760a88a5fd38ae02ba10bdf9.jpg

But the gag assumes that J Random American and his buddies would actually be able to tell the difference if they went to the 'wrong' service :)

Scrap the cap!

Calling this festival "The Gathering" creeps me out. I wouldn't be surprised if a ring of black holographic monoliths showed up. :pac:

Or thousands of zombie kids.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    I was rather hoping they might notice themselves half way through proceedings. After all, even Popette herself didn't notice until after the half-time biscuits when we all trotted along to midnight mass perhaps ten years ago.

"Proper" biscuits instead of wafers? A dead giveaway.

Daily Telegraph reports: religious people not very smart:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2111174/Intelligent-people-less-likely-to-believe-in-God.html

Interesting to see that only 3.3% of the Royal Society are religious. Like, that's almost nothing. Meanwhile, a godologist from Leeds said that pointing out the fact that "Intelligent people 'less likely to believe in God' constitutes "a slight tinge of Western cultural imperialism as well as an anti-religious sentiment".

Daily Telegraph reports: religious people not very smart:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2111174/Intelligent-people-less-likely-to-believe-in-God.html

Interesting to see that only 3.3% of the Royal Society are religious. Like, that's almost nothing. Meanwhile, a codologist from Leeds said that pointing out the fact that "Intelligent people 'less likely to believe in God' constitutes "a slight tinge of Western cultural imperialism as well as an anti-religious sentiment".

FYP

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

‘Pregnancy Begins 2 Weeks Before Conception’ Now The Law In Arizona

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/pregnancy-begins-2-weeks-before-conception-now-the-law-in-arizona/politics/2012/04/13/37993

Republicans making the news are giving The Onion some competition

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

‘Pregnancy Begins 2 Weeks Before Conception’ Now The Law In Arizona

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/pregnancy-begins-2-weeks-before-conception-now-the-law-in-arizona/politics/2012/04/13/37993

Republicans making the news are giving The Onion some competition

Once again,

25673294.jpg

This is odd.....something resembling good news.....I feel weirdy....
    The Christian girl who was allegedly framed for blasphemy by her local mullah has been hailed as a "daughter of the nation" by one of Pakistan's most senior Islamic clerics, who also vowed to guarantee her safety if she is eventually released from prison.

The heavyweight support for Rimsha Masih from the chairman of the All Pakistan Ulema Council, a grouping of Islamic clerics, is being seen as a remarkable turn of events in a country where individuals accused of insulting Islam are almost never helped by powerful public figures.

In a fiery press conference at a central Islamabad hotel, Hafiz Mohammad Tahir Mehmood Ashrafi, flanked by other senior clerics, demanded all the organs of the Pakistani state come together to investigate the circumstances surrounding the arrest last month of a girl who it is claimed has Down's syndrome.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/03/christian-girl-senior-pakistani-cleric-blasphemy

Yiz have to click on the link to work out why a certain choice of wording was unfortunate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,295 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Nodin wrote: »
    This is odd.....something resembling good news.....I feel weirdy....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/03/christian-girl-senior-pakistani-cleric-blasphemy

Yiz have to click on the link to work out why a certain choice of wording was unfortunate.
    Heavyweight support?

Penn wrote: »
    Heavyweight support?

O yeah.

• Advertisement

Here in Ireland, some christians are upset at the ECHR's ruling on abortion. While in the UK, some christians are taking a case to the ECHR alleging systemic discrimination:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19472438
    BBC News wrote:
    Four British Christians who claim they lost their jobs as a result of discrimination against their beliefs are taking their cases to the European Court of Human Rights.

They include an airline worker stopped from wearing a cross and a registrar who did not want to marry gay couples. All four lost separate employment tribunals relating to their beliefs.

Secular critics have said any ruling in favour of the group could "seriously undermine" UK equality law. A ruling is not expected from the European court for several weeks.

The cases involve British Airways check-in clerk Nadia Eweida, nurse Shirley Chaplin, relationship counsellor Gary McFarlane and registrar Lilian Ladele:
    • Ms Eweida, a Pentecostal Christian from Twickenham, south-west London, was sent home by her employer British Airways in 2006 after refusing to remove a necklace with a cross
    • Devon-based nurse Mrs Chaplin was moved to a desk job by Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Trust Hospital for similar reasons
    • Mr McFarlane, a Bristol counsellor, was sacked by Relate after saying on a training course he might have had a conscientious objection to giving sex therapy advice to gay couples
    • Miss Ladele was disciplined after she refused to conduct same-sex civil partnership ceremonies in north London
    Each individual had made a separate application to the court, but the cases are being heard together.

Court documents explain that Ms Eweida and Mrs Chaplin believe the UK law has "failed adequately to protect their right to manifest their religion" which is contrary to Article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights.

This article provides a right to freedom of religion, including to worship, teaching, practice and observe elements of their faith. They also claim that previous tribunal rulings have breached Article 14 of the convention, which outlaws discrimination based on religion.

Miss Ladele also believes her right to an "effective remedy" was infringed, and Mr McFarlane claims his right to a fair trial and right to a private life in the UK were breached.

[...]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement