Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hazards of Belief

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

kirill-gadget-cross.gif

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

^^^ If I was god, I'd have a hat like that too.

In other news, church rules trump state law in New York when it comes to educating teenagers about diseases that can kill them:

https://www.au.org/blogs/wall-of-separation/improper-influence-nyc-public-schools-bow-to-church-rules-on-sex-ed

So teenagers have to leave the buildings, leave the site and in one case, go for a fifteen minute walk to learn about real and present dangers to their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

An Orthodox Jew boards a plane, and - SHOCK HORROR! - there are women on board. Here's his solution:
    jpOezc5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

It looks like he's fashioned himself a giant condom.

I don't understand, is he not allowed to see women? Or is it something about sharing a confined space/sharing air/the risk of accidentally touching one?

How does he not suffocate in that

Ah, here is a description
    We don't often see the classic Twin Peaks phrase "wrapped in plastic" taken so literally—but a Redditor posted the above photo of an Orthodox Jewish man who did just that on a recent flight. Poster "FinalSay" initially assumed the man was covering up because he was in front of women, but others pointed out that it is much more likely that the man is a "Kohen", who are holy priests (or descended from them).
    Kohens are prohibited from flying over cemeteries ("A kohen initially was not supposed to approach any dead body, and if he did so he became ritually impure"), which as you can imagine, could be a major problem for travel. According to Haaretz, Rabbi Yosef Shalom Eliashiv, the leader of the Lithuanian Haredi community in Israel, "found a solution to this issue, ruling that wrapping oneself in thick plastic bags while the plane crossed over the cemetery is permissible."
    http://gothamist.com/2013/04/11/photo_orthodox_jewish_man_covers_hi.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

bluewolf wrote: »
    How does he not suffocate in that

Ah, here is a description

http://gothamist.com/2013/04/11/photo_orthodox_jewish_man_covers_hi.php

Plane being made from aluminium, carbon composites and plastic tubings seems to have no relevance. How does the plastic shield him from impurity? :confused:
    Presumably from not suffocating he's allowing the contaminated air of the plane that has flown over the cemetery into his bag?

Jernal wrote: »
    How does the plastic shield him from impurity?
    Imaginary protection is 100% effective against imaginary problems.

Jernal wrote: »
    Plane being made from aluminium, carbon composites and plastic tubings seems to have no relevance. How does the plastic shield him from impurity? :confused:

Bbuuut.. you're trying to reason with religion... never works :(

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I saw somewhere that it's not women he's protecting himself from but flying over a cemetary.

It doesn't make it any less bollocks I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

robindch wrote: »

Atheist quote thread go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Genius :D

Should there be more religion in primary schools? The people who stuff theJournal's polls think so!

http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-religion-classes-primary-schools-868282-Apr2013

At the time of writing, that's 52% in favour of more time on religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Should there be more religion in primary schools? The people who stuff theJournal's polls think so!

http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-religion-classes-primary-schools-868282-Apr2013

At the time of writing, that's 52% in favour of more time on religion.

I remember talking to a former primary teacher of mine on the matter of how much time was assigned to extracurricular subjects in primary school about 4 years ago (at the time she was head of the local, rural, NS). She was really worried that only 8 1/2 hours in a week were assigned to the curriculum subjects (think English, Irish, Maths, History, Geography & Science) and the rest for non-curriculum subjects such as art, knitting and religion. She could see the point of doing most of the extra-curriculum subjects, but she was actually angry about the amount of time taken out of the school year for religious "education" despite being a catholic teacher teaching in a catholic "owned" school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Hundreds of British Asians will gather in Parliament Square on Tuesday to
    urge MPs to introduce legal protection for those from traditionally lower-caste backgrounds.

A coalition of community groups, human rights organisations and politicians
    has been campaigning for a change in the law that would make it an offence for people to discriminate on the grounds of caste.

A report on the issue commissioned by the government three years
    ago
    estimated that there are between 50,000 and 200,000 people in
    Britain who are classified as low caste. The study, by the National Institute of Economic and Social Research, identified evidence of discrimination, harassment and exclusion in schools, provision of services and in the workplace.

Another survey, published in 2009 by the Anti-Caste Discrimination
    Alliance
    , found that 58% of those questioned felt they had been
    discriminated against because of their caste status, while 78% said they did not think the police would understand if they tried to report a caste-related hate crime.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/apr/15/british-asians-parliament-caste-discrimination

Turkish pianist Fazil Say given a suspended ten-month prison sentence for "insulting islam":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22151212
    BBC wrote:
    World-renowned Turkish pianist Fazil Say has been given a suspended 10-month jail sentence for insulting Muslim values.

An Istanbul court found Say guilty over a series of posts on the social networking site Twitter. Say was not in court for the sentencing. But he denied the charges, saying they were politically motivated.

The case renewed concern about the influence of religion on politics in Turkey. Pointing to the prosecution of several artists and intellectuals for voicing their views, critics have accused the governing AK Party of undermining Turkey's secular values and pandering to Islamists.

Prosecutors had brought the charges against Mr Say last June. He could have faced a maximum sentence of 18 months in prison. The indictment against him cited some tweets, including a retweet by Mr Say which says: "I am not sure if you have also realised it, but if there's a louse, a non-entity, a lowlife, a thief or a fool, it's always an Allah-ist."

Mr Say has previously said he was "amazed" at the charges. Mr Say, 43, has played with the New York Philharmonic, the Berlin Symphony Orchestra and others, and has served as a cultural ambassador for the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Fazil Say has said publicly that he is an atheist. The suspended sentence means that he won't go to prison unless he "re-offends"; by saying something that could be construed as being critical of Islam within the time period. So he is now effectively muzzled, unless he stays out of Turkey for a very long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

recedite wrote: »
    Fazil Say has said publicly that he is an atheist. The suspended sentence means that he won't go to prison unless he "re-offends"; by saying something that could be construed as being critical of Islam within the time period. So he is now effectively muzzled, unless he stays out of Turkey for a very long time.
    I've stayed out of Turkey for almost 40 years now. Its easy. I'm sure he'd be welcome here to say what he likes. We do have an anti-blasphemy law, but thus far have been sensible enough to ignore it.

VATICAN CITY -- Pope Francis has reaffirmed the Vatican's criticism of a body that represents U.S. nuns that the Church said was tainted by "radical" feminism, dashing hopes that he might take a softer stand with the sisters.

Francis's predecessor, Benedict, decreed that the Leadership Conference of
    Women Religious (LCWR), a group that represents more than 80 percent of the 57,000 Catholic nuns in the United States, must change its ways, a ruling that the Vatican said on Monday still applied.

Last year, a Vatican report said the LCWR had "serious doctrinal problems"
    and promoted "radical feminist themes incompatible with the Catholic faith,"
    criticizing it for taking a soft line on issues such as birth control and
    homosexuality.
    http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/15/17762930-pope-francis-reiterates-radical-feminist-criticism-of-us-nuns-group#.UW6eHNtQxXs.twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Nodin wrote: »

"radical feminism"... whatever genius 'person*' managed to make radical = communist/evil/eat-your-children in the english language needs to suffer, badly.

*for the filter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Andrewf20 wrote: »

I can't think WHY they didn't just make them wear a Burqa. Works for those irresistible wimminz, right? :mad:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I demand pictures of men who are so hot they need to be deported from a country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I demand pictures of men who are so hot they need to be deported from a country!

Abu-Hamza.jpg

Pretty sure he was guilty of being to sexy for britain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

They weren't relatives of Pat Mustard by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I assume it was a man who decided they were too fabulous to be left alone, they needed a good manhandling.
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Mohammed Zoolander is said to be really, really, really, ridiculously - disappointed to have been deported.

Abu-Hamza.jpg

Pretty sure he was guilty of being to sexy for britain.
    I swear he looks like this guy:
    sweetjesus.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I've decided that these are the men involved.
    Careful now, lots of flesh involved.

Good to see the commitment to thorough research!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'd something something THEIR pillar of Islam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

No, I'm afraid it was in fact Pat Mustard and his two triplet brothers.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGSTME2lWthUCh0EVuWeqfC7fawFbTWVkbkKW0vODpeo1_SQhk

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

And socks I reckon. Plenty of socks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Oh my very goodness.

Any chance that these gentlemen could be deported to my house?

His name is Wirathu, he calls himself the "Burmese Bin Laden" and he is a
    Buddhist monk who is stoking religious hatred across Burma.

The saffron-robed 45-year-old regularly shares his hate-filled rants through
    DVD and social media, in which he warns against Muslims who "target innocent young Burmese girls and rape them", and "indulge in cronyism".

To ears untrained in the Burmese language, his sermons seem steady and calm –
    almost trance-like – with Wirathu rocking back and forth, eyes downcast.
    Translate his softly spoken words, however, and it becomes clear how his
    paranoia and fear, muddled with racist stereotypes and unfounded rumours, have helped to incite violence and spread misinformation in a nation still stumbling towards democracy.

"We are being raped in every town, being sexually harassed in every town,
    being ganged up on and bullied in every town," Wirathu recently told the
    Guardian, speaking from the Masoeyein monastery in Mandalay where he is
    based.

"In every town, there is a crude and savage Muslim majority."
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/18/buddhist-monk-spreads-hatred-burma

4% of the population are muslim....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Burma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

On second thoughts...

• Advertisement

Careful now!

Isn't is funny how all these religions claim to be about peace and love and tolerance and understanding, in theory but the reality never, ever matches up. It's about time buddhism got some critical analysis in the west :)

Scrap the cap!

ARTICLES which appear on the young people's website Spunout.ie will be vetted
    more strictly by the Health Service Executive (HSE) in future following
    controversy over its views on "threesomes".

Health Minister James Reilly said the site, which is partly funded by the
    HSE, is reviewing the threesomes article, which was first criticised by his
    colleague Michelle Mulherin TD, who said it could encourage risky behaviour.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hse-to-monitor-youth-site-after-threesomes-article-29209204.html

Michelle Mulherin....
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/abortion-debate-single-mayo-td-michelle-mulherin-defends-fornication-remarks-26844965.html

Ms. Fornication :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

TYpLJpOh.jpg

Depressing.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    Depressing.

Surely that's a parody? It's a collection of statements that we would deem the most ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

TheChizler wrote: »
    Surely that's a parody? It's a collection of statements that we would deem the most ridiculous.
    Whether this particular example is a parody or not does not take away from the fact that it is highly likely that somewhere there are tests like this.

MrP

TheChizler wrote: »

It doesn't look like it, but anyone could just make one up and print it out so anythings possible.

I suppose that it seems plausible to me because it seems like a lot of fairly smart religious nuts in America have identified the problems created for them associated with education so having a kind of bullet-pointed approach to instilling their bollocks in kids makes sense.

It makes it easier for them if they know their stock rebuttals to common atheist/scientific questions and claims.

For me this is an abuse of human rights. Kids should have a right to an education. This doesn't qualify. It's worse than teaching them nothing.

Meanwhile, in the J C household...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

wpid-5ddxi8zh.jpeg

Eh...surely a parody?

I'm thinking the dinosaurs one may not be
    http://www.christianbook.com/dinosaurs-genesis-the-gospel/pd/00154X?product_redirect=1&Ntt=00154X&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCP

00154x_99_bkc_dp.jpg

January 20, 2008

Stacy
    We like these DVDs overall, but have two beefs: 1. The quality of the audio is lacking when Ken Hamm is lecturing.2. The teaching assumes that kids know and are biased towards belief in evolution. My kids, who are home schooled, believe in the biblical creation account.

August 26, 2007

Gerald Foster
    Tremendous rebuttal to the evolutionary teaching that children are receiving in school, in movies and TV. Presented in a way that keeps children's interest. I highly recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Time for bluewolf's cookies for creationist children initiative.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

bluewolf wrote: »
    January 20, 2008

Stacy
    We like these DVDs overall, but have two beefs: 1. The quality of the audio is lacking when Ken Hamm is lecturing.2. The teaching assumes that kids know and are biased towards belief in evolution. My kids, who are home schooled, believe in the biblical creation account.

August 26, 2007

Gerald Foster
    Tremendous rebuttal to the evolutionary teaching that children are receiving in school, in movies and TV. Presented in a way that keeps children's interest. I highly recommend it.

Please tell me you made these up. :mad:

Oh dear, I was holding out in the hope that these people could be given the benefit of the doubt... And as said above it's more than likely happened somewhere sometime.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Please tell me you made these up. :mad:

Customer reviews of the book on the website :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement