Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hazards of Belief

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Video footage has emerged showing Burmese police standing by as Buddhist mobs wielding sticks and swords attack Muslims in Meikhtila – where last month more than 40 people were killed and 12,000 displaced – on the same day that the EU is expected to permanently lift all sanctions against the country.

The footage, apparently shot by police officers, shows Buddhist crowds looting and ransacking a Muslim jewellery shop,
    cheering when Muslims are attacked, and setting fire to mosques and houses. Later, a man who has been set alight and is believed to be Muslim can be seen lying in the road, surrounded by a crowd of people. "Pour water on him," a man in the crowd commands. "Let him die," shouts another. "No water for him."

Both Buddhist monks and police can be seen through much of the footage – the monks often taking part in the violence, the police watching immobile as it progresses.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/22/burmese-police-buddhists-attack-muslims

Video contains scene showing young lad beaten to death (a monk amongst the killers) so don't go a-clicking if you're easily upset.

I thought everything was fine, sure the EU just lifted sanctions against the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

http://babyandbump.momtastic.com/breastfeeding/1834661-quick-question-muslim-breastfeeding-mums.html

Just finding it disturbing that there can be such a serious discussion about whether/how to fast for religious reasons while breastfeeding (and pregnant). And if you decided not to fast, as you get two years 'off' per child, do you have to make it up by fasting for those days at some other point in your life or be really radical and make a charitable donation instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Nodin wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/22/burmese-police-buddhists-attack-muslims

Video contains scene showing young lad beaten to death (a monk amongst the killers) so don't go a-clicking if you're easily upset.

I originally read that as 'Burmese python". Now that would have been interesting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Philadelphia couple's second child dies due to them praying instead of seeking medical assistance:
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/2nd-child-pa-couple-dies-praying-19020607#.UXaJprWG1nF

'the hell is wrong with people!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Galvasean wrote: »
    Philadelphia couple's second child dies due to them praying instead of seeking medical assistance:
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/2nd-child-pa-couple-dies-praying-19020607#.UXaJprWG1nF

But...but...as a married heterosexual Christian couple they are the ideal parents...

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Jesus Christ. If they have any surviving children, they should be taken off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Maybe I'm just harsh, but I'd be treating this one as murder.

They got away with a manslaughter verdict on the other child, and then they knowingly, and in breach of their probation terms, withheld medical care for this child.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

While I suspect what they did isn't technically murder, it's certainly a word that comes to my mind reading that article.

The Philadelphia equivalent of social services need to take a look at themselves, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vices

Sounds like something from Harry Potter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

krudler wrote: »
    Sounds like something from Harry Potter.

That would make some interesting fan-fic...
    "Welcome back to hogwarts, this will be the first year where sharia law will be strictly enforced. First thing's first, the sorting hat will work out who gets the wear a burka! Hermione, you're up first."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Surprise, surprise -- the Boston bombers may well have been motivated by an radical version of a certain well-known "religion of peace":

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/religious-motive-for-boston-bombs-1.1369674

robindch wrote: »
    Surprise, surprise -- the Boston bombers may well have been motivated by an radical version of a certain well-known "religion of peace":

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/religious-motive-for-boston-bombs-1.1369674

How do people KEEP missing that bit about peace?
    they should maybe consider a leaflet campaign or print up some t-shirts or something.

How do people KEEP missing that bit about peace?
    they should maybe consider a leaflet campaign or print up some t-shirts or something.

Meh - the religion that is all about Love isn't exactly brimming over with that either....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Suicide is a sin too, let's not forget that.

• Advertisement

That would make some interesting fan-fic...
    "Welcome back to hogwarts, this will be the first year where sharia law will be strictly enforced. First thing's first, the sorting hat will work out who gets the wear a burka! Hermione, you're up first."

All female witches must ride appropriate brooms, current ones are too phallic and may induce female hysteria.

Who we kidding there'd be no female witches :pac:

krudler wrote: »
    All female witches must ride appropriate brooms, current ones are too phallic and may induce female hysteria.

Who we kidding there'd be no female witches :pac:

or riding....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

iguana wrote: »
    http://babyandbump.momtastic.com/breastfeeding/1834661-quick-question-muslim-breastfeeding-mums.html

Just finding it disturbing that there can be such a serious discussion about whether/how to fast for religious reasons while breastfeeding
    At least they are not making the babies fast.
    I'll rephrase that :pac: ; at least they are feeding the babies.
    I wonder at what age a Muslim child is first "encouraged" to fast for Ramadan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No images. Text only. No provocative colours or fonts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Jesus Christ. If they have any surviving children, they should be taken off them.
    I think they have another 7 to get through.

MrP

• Advertisement

Atheists - did you know you could be autistic? If not, then check out this 2011 article in the Daily Mail!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2039690/Atheism-autism-Controversial-new-study-points-link-two.html

Atheists - did you know you could be autistic? If not, then check out this 2011 article in the Daily Mail!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2039690/Atheism-autism-Controversial-new-study-points-link-two.html

Ha, love this:
    The metaphors and figures of speech found in religious texts may deter people with autistic spectrum disorders from religious belief

I must be autistic, my bullsh1t detector goes off around religious texts.

Am I reading this correctly or is my yet to be diagnosed autism getting in the way? -

I read it as - study of small group of people with autism determines majority are atheists therefore there is a definitive link between autism and atheism...:confused:

Next week - left handedness and atheism.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Andrewf20 wrote: »

Can't believe no-one's done this already...

"...religious police stormed the stand and evicted the three because they ‘were too handsome’, according to local media reports.

“A festival official said the three Emiratis were taken out on the grounds they are too handsome and that the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vices members feared female visitors could fall for them,” a local paper reported."

tumblr_m15lqlZQRh1qd1kfjo1_400.png

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I read it as - study of small group of people with autism determines majority are atheists therefore there is a definitive link between autism and atheism...:confused:
    Yup, that's it.

Welcome to Planet Daily Mail!

I know it's the daily fail and my kitten block prevents me from reading it (best app/extension ever!). Granted the results may not hold up, but if they did? Doesn't anyone find this interesting?
    It might tell us a lot about brain structures and belief.

Cork Boy wrote: »
    Can't believe no-one's done this already...

"...religious police stormed the stand and evicted the three because they ‘were too handsome’, according to local media reports.

“A festival official said the three Emiratis were taken out on the grounds they are too handsome and that the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vices members feared female visitors could fall for them,” a local paper reported."

tumblr_m15lqlZQRh1qd1kfjo1_400.png
    Gods dammit, I want to see pictures of the men deemed Too Sexy for the Saudis!

kylith wrote: »
    Gods dammit, I want to see pictures of the men deemed Too Sexy for the Saudis!
    ugly-arab.jpg

Why hello there...;)

Pfft. Give him a guitar and I'm sure there'd be chemistry. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

Here is a pic of one of the guys who got deported from Saudi Arabia for being too handsome

tumblr_mkq8j6BsGp1rg8z06o1_250.jpg

He confirms the story on his Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/OmarBorkanAlGala

In fairness that's one good looking dude, talk about an ego stroke, so handsome I was thrown out of a country, how many men can say that :pac:

brimal wrote: »
    Here is a pic of one of the guys who got deported from Saudi Arabia for being too handsome

tumblr_mkq8j6BsGp1rg8z06o1_250.jpg

He confirms the story on his Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/OmarBorkanAlGala

Well, the pic I posted is deffo genuine. Anybody got the third?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Damn, look at that beardwork...

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Damn, look at that beardwork...
    Photoshopped...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

brimal wrote: »

I doubt they're big on eyeliner on men in Saudi (or on women for that matter...)

Scrap the cap!

Ohhh--you all are such b'atches.

Ohhh--you all are such b'atches.
    What? Like l'oaves?!?

endacl wrote: »
    What? Like l'oaves?!?

More like c'ats.

• Advertisement

More like c'ats.
    Lovely buttery slices o' b'atch c'at and a cup o' tae?!?

Seriously?!?

Lovely buttery slices o' b'atch c'at and a cup o' tae?!?

Seriously?!?

:confused:

:confused:
    I know. Its late. Midway through another overdue paper. Also midway through another overdue bottle of red.

Let it go this time. I promise to make more sense in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

I know. Its late. Midway through another overdue paper. Also midway through another overdue bottle of red.

Let it go this time. I promise to make more sense in future.

BWAHHHHAHAHAHAHA.

Two Tibetan monks have died after setting themselves alight in southern China.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-22290746

More than 100 monks have apparently done this since 2011. I can see that they're fighting against oppression, but this doesn't seem to be achieving all that much. There must be other options.

Boy, that's one pretty man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

If the monks are crazy enough to set fire to themselves, let them.
    I was more disturbed at recent video footage of Buddhist Nationalists standing around a burning Muslim in Burmah, the poor guy still kicking and rolling.

As for Handsome Al Mufti, given the amount of disturbance his pics have created even here on the A&A forum, its not surprising the Saudis kicked him out :pac:

Two Tibetan monks have died after setting themselves alight in southern China.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-22290746

More than 100 monks have apparently done this since 2011. I can see that they're fighting against oppression, but this doesn't seem to be achieving all that much. There must be other options.

...its the kind of thing that doesn't work on certain types of regime, and tends to lose significance if it becomes commonplace. Personally I'm more of a "set the other fellah on fire" type, meself.

...its the kind of thing that doesn't work on certain types of regime, and tends to lose significance if it becomes commonplace. Personally I'm more of a "set the other fellah on fire" type, meself.

I Imagine the Chinese government thinking "Hey, don't do that, we have an officially allocated monk murderer for your region"

and as recedite said, it's not like buddhist can't oppress minorities themselves. Case in point Burmah.

I Imagine the Chinese government thinking "Hey, don't do that, we have an officially allocated monk murderer for your region"

and as recedite said, it's not like buddhist can't oppress minorities themselves. Case in point Burmah.

...all Buddhists not being joined in the proverbial hivemind, I'd say that what happens elsewhere was rather irrelevant.

...all Buddhists not being joined in the proverbial hivemind, I'd say that what happens elsewhere was rather irrelevant.

yup, Fair point.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement