Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hazards of Belief

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Surely when something like this happens they can be locked up for fraud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Galvasean wrote: »

You'd probably have to prove intent to deceive. If she claims that she honestly believed the girl was dead then there was no intent to deceive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Galvasean wrote: »
    "Entertainment purposes only"

Chances are the contracts used by both her and whatever TV shows she appeared on were littered with little clauses which mentioned that everything she said was just a performance and not a professional opinion.

These people really are the lowest of the low. Not only are the completely aware that they're lying to people, they take elaborate legal steps to protect themselves from their own lies and deceit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm sure there are many preachers of mainstream religions who are aware they're lying to people too.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Not sure where to start with this one...

There's a Cult in Nigeria trying to convert Muslims and Christians.
    The Police for some reason didn't like this idea so sent about 60 officers to arrest the main priest. They police were ambushed and now 23 officers are dead and 17 are missing.

This is just a mess, seemly made because some peoples crazy is deemed to be worse than other people's crazy....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-22462225

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Jesus, if they took down 60 officers with relative ease, how many are in the actual cult?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Jesus, if they took down 60 officers with relative ease, how many are in the actual cult?

Maybe they converted? We are talking about severe craziness here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Why do the west(.) church thingy get so much attention
    there is like a couple of dozen of them

That cult might actual be a solution to Nigeria sectarian problems
    convert them all to the one sky fairy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Links234 wrote: »
    in what way is it surreal? :confused:

I don't know any muslim women, and I've never seen one speak from under a niqab, so, to me it's still like a costume.

81966108.jpg

Why anyone would fight for their 'right' to have to cover their face in public. I see it like this; imagine if they had a guest on the show who wore a racing helmet. I for one would be very puzzled, wondering why the person didn't take it off.

It's funny how the men choose to wear white, while the women 'choose' to wear black, in the desert sun.

Anyway, here's my reaction to the women in the niqab:

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

Share my pain folks! Please!! I couldn't respond in thread. I'd get banned again. Where's the hazard you may ask? Well, somebody is droppin' cashmoney on books and 'courses'. That qualifies it for here.

:eek:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056938421

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

endacl wrote: »
    Share my pain folks! Please!! I couldn't respond in thread. I'd get banned again. Where's the hazard you may ask? Well, somebody is droppin' cashmoney on books and 'courses'. That qualifies it for here.

tumblr_mghcl4dGF51rkb0m7o1_250.gif

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    tumblr_mghcl4dGF51rkb0m7o1_250.gif
    I know. That's one fence I really shouldn't be peeking over. I'd have this thread full of links. There'd be rational heads exploding all over the country...

They walk among us. I spoke to a psychologist yesterday who told me in all seriousness that she was a little off her game because...... I can't bring myself to say it out loud.... there was an lunar eclipse.

A shadow. A quarter million mile away shadow. On another planet. Had her off her professional-masters-in-science-educated game... :eek::mad::confused:

Sure, if it makes them happy, what's the harm?

:p

I could feel my IQ dropping while reading that thread.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

doublefacepalm-1.jpg

I know. That's one fence I really shouldn't be peeking over. I'd have this thread full of links. There'd be rational heads exploding all over the country...

They walk among us. I spoke to a psychologist yesterday who told me in all seriousness that she was a little off her game because...... I can't bring myself to say it out loud.... there was an lunar eclipse.

A shadow. A quarter million mile away shadow. On another planet. Had her off her professional-masters-in-science-educated game... :eek::mad::confused:

To make matters worse, that was ten days ago. There was an annular eclipse today but it was only to be seen in Australia. Even when there was a shadow it was on the other side of the bloody world.

legspin wrote: »
    To make matters worse, that was ten days ago. There was an annular eclipse today but it was only to be seen in Australia. Even when there was a shadow it was on the other side of the bloody world.
    I know. There was no telling her*.

*not the 'her' you're thinking of. Just for clarity. ;)

I know. There was no telling her*.

*not the 'her' you're thinking of. Just for clarity. ;)

I am NOW!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Daily Telegraph - Roman Catholic Church 'to take over secular schools' - what could possibly go wrong?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10021418/Roman-Catholic-Church-to-take-over-secular-schools.html
    Successful Catholic schools could be enlisted to act as “sponsors” to help run community primaries and secondaries in difficult circumstances, it was revealed. The move would reverse an existing policy that prevents Catholic schools striking up federations with non-religious counterparts as part of the Government’s academies programme.

It comes two years after the Church of England embarked on a similar path which has resulted in a number of secular schools adopting a faith “ethos” under Anglican control. The Government said it was keen to enlist the support of a range of bodies with a good track record of running schools to help address underperformance in parts of the state system.

But secular groups warned that the move could lead to the Catholic Church imposing its faith with “proselytising zeal”. Andrew Copson, chief executive of the British Humanist Association, said: “We are alarmed that the Catholic Church is now seeking to extend its influence over the management of schools in a way never previously possible.”

Keith Porteous Wood, executive director of the National Secular Society, told the Times Educational Supplement: “Whenever you have a merger of amalgamation of a faith and non-faith school, everything always leans towards the faith.” But Paul Barber, director of the Catholic Education Service, insisted that Catholic schools were already part of the state education system and “wanted to make a contribution” to driving up standards.

There are almost 2,200 Catholic schools in England – one-in-10 of the total. Around three-quarters are currently ranked “good” or better by Ofsted compared with two-thirds of other schools. “They feel strongly that they are part of the wider family along with other schools; they share that collective responsibility,” he said.

He added: “We are trying to explore the various ways in which Catholic schools can, if they wish to, assist other schools, including those which aren’t Catholic.” Academies are independent state schools run independently from local authority control, with full power over admissions, staff pay and the length of the school day.

The Government has used the programme to pull failing schools out of council control and hand leadership over to the heads of successful schools, charities and faith organisations. The CofE has already come forward to take part, with secular schools in North Yorkshire, Solihull and East London striking up formal partnerships with local Anglican schools.

A Department for Education spokesman said it was in talks with the Catholic Education Service with a view to Catholic schools becoming academy sponsors. “We are keen to build up the number of outstanding schools that can provide support as sponsors to underperforming schools,” he said. “As part of this, we are talking to a range of bodies and organisations to explore how they can help undertake this important role.”

robindch wrote: »
    Daily Telegraph - Roman Catholic Church 'to take over secular schools' - what could possibly go wrong?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10021418/Roman-Catholic-Church-to-take-over-secular-schools.html

Are they still spouting that tripe about catholic schools out-performing the other schools? Like it has nothing to do with them cherry-picking students.

"I'l take that one and that one, not that one." "That one looks poor/ brown/ slow/ whatever." Said every catholic headmaster/ mistress.

Thanks for the link. I'm already feeling more at one with myself and the life force of the spirit of Saturn. Plus, I feel the burden of my money slipping away as I've just signed up for the, wait for it:

Happy Every Day Texts.

http://www.paulwilliams.ie/Texts.html

Is there some other way they could take my money faster? Money is bad for the spirit they said.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

My third eye has definetly opened.. ive worked hard at opening it.. and developing my abilities... a high fibre diet has really helped.....and prune juice or strong coffee in the mornings...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

o_O

http://news.yahoo.com/catholic-church-excommunicates-brazil-priest-liberal-views-212205334.html
    RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - The Catholic Church has excommunicated a Brazilian priest after he defended homosexuality, open marriage and other practices counter to Church teaching in online videos.

In a statement released late on Monday, the priest's diocese said Father Roberto Francisco Daniel, known to local parishioners as Padre Beto, had "in the name of 'freedom of expression' betrayed the promise of fealty to the Church."

The 47-year-old cleric, who studied theology in Germany, is popular in the southeastern city of Bauru, where he has been a priest since 2001. He is known for his rock T-shirts, a silver stud pierced through his right ear and his habit of posing, as on his official Facebook page, with a glass of beer.

On Facebook and Twitter, Daniel posted a brief statement about the excommunication: "I feel honored to belong to the long list of people who have been murdered and burned alive for thinking and searching for knowledge."

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Happy Every Day Texts.

http://www.paulwilliams.ie/Texts.html

Is there some other way they could take my money faster? Money is bad for the spirit they said.

I see in his "symbols" page he has the Swastika in the Nazi orientation on the borders, but when he shows a lapel pin of it, it is in the opposite, Buddhist, orientation. Does he not know the implications of his own symbology? Or is he too lazy to check his designs? You decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

"I feel honored to belong to the long list of people who have been murdered and burned alive for thinking and searching for knowledge."

Goodness. He's doing well to give a statement after being murdered and burned alive :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Obliq wrote: »
    "I feel honored to belong to the long list of people who have been murdered and burned alive for thinking and searching for knowledge."

Goodness. He's doing well to give a statement after being murdered and burned alive :rolleyes:

He was referring to people who have been excommunicated in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    He was referring to people who have been excommunicated in general.

I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

recedite wrote: »
    My third eye has definetly opened.. ive worked hard at opening it.. and developing my abilities... a high fibre diet has really helped.....and prune juice or strong coffee in the mornings...

You might want to get that seen to. It doesn't look anything like this does it-

893_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Wasn't sure whether to put this into Hazards or Funnys.

I think the words of the judge best sum it up.
    "I do not know how I'm going to decide this case, but one thing is evident in the records. Here we have an owner of a cabaret that firmly believes in the power of prayer and an entire church declaring that prayers are worthless ".

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.advivo.com.br%2Fblog%2Fstella-maris%2Fno-ceara-cabare-processa-igreja-universal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

On this day, 13th May, in 1917, Lúcia Santos and her cousins Francisco and Jacinta Marto reportedly began seeing visions of the virgin Mary in the Portuguese town of Fátima. The visions have become known as Our Lady of Fátima.

Didn't know where else to put this, but Hazards seemed appropriate. Like in Lourdes, thousands of people flock to Fátima hoping that ailments and illnesses will be cured. But apart from a placebo effect, nothing obviously happens.

There was also the infamous "Three Secrets of Fátima": visions of hell, converting the world to Christianity to prevent war and conflict and the so-called "Third Secret" that has or has not (depending on who you ask) been revealed by the Catholic Church and pertains (allegedly) to the murder of Popes and culminated in the assassination attempt on John Paul II in 1981.

Halal burgers more tasty than expected. Religious people are worried.

http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/fmcg/frozen-halal-lamb-burgers-test-positive-for-pork-in-leicester/343138.article
    TheGrocer wrote:
    Frozen halal lamb burgers have been withdrawn from schools in Leicester after a batch tested positive for pork DNA.

Leicester City Council said a sample taken from a batch of frozen lamb burgers produced in January by Doncaster-based Paragon Quality Foods had tested positive for pork DNA. A spokeswoman was not immediately able to say how much pork DNA was found but said it was "more than a trace". Further results were expected next week, she added.

Paragon has had a positive release system in place since 1 March, only releasing products once they have tested negative for pork, but the council said it had nevertheless decided to take the burgers off school menus as a precaution and would not be buying further products from Paragon while investigations were pending. "We have made it clear to our suppliers that this is totally unacceptable, and we are taking urgent legal advice about the next steps," said Trevor Pringle, the city council's director of young people's services.

The council has written to the parents of children at the schools affected by the withdrawal, which took place on 19 April, and said it was working with the Federation of Muslim Organisations (FMO) as part of its investigations.Suleman Nagdi of the FMO said Muslims would be "extremely shocked and distressed" to hear pork DNA had been found in halal products. "The FMO is working closely with the local authority and calling on them to take legal action in respect of this contamination and would urge the local authority to instigate criminal proceedings against the company involved under the Food Safety Act," he added. The lamb burger was the only halal product supplied to Leicester schools by Paragon. Leicester City Council said all its other halal products used in schools had tested negative for pork DNA.

In February this year, pork DNA was found in supposedly halal pasties supplied to prisons by McColgan's Quality Foods via 3663.Paragon Quality Foods said it was a pork-free site and had never knowingly bought or handled pork. Previous samples of its products taken unannounced by Doncaster Borough Council had come back clear, it added. "We have carried out a full traceability of the product in question and have provided this information to the relevant enforcement authorities."

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

To be fair, regardless of your reasons for not wanting pork in your burgers, if you pay for non-pork burgers you'd damn well better be getting pork-free lamb burgers.

And if they* thought they were getting away with subbing in pork what else might have gone in there?

*whoever did the dubbing

** how terrible are these 'lamb' burgers that you can sneak pork into them? that's another issue that really grinds my gears, cheap crappy processed food***(****)but that's a topic for another day.

***Sat night kebabs excluded...obviously!

****If Terry Pratchett***** can do this so can I!

*****werk!

DazMarz wrote: »
    There was also the infamous "Three Secrets of Fátima": visions of hell, converting the world to Christianity to prevent war and conflict

Yeah isn't it great how the christian nations of Europe have lived in blissful peace and brotherhood for the last 2000 years :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

Probably been posted before:
    Karni Mata (Temple of Rats) in India
    The temple is famous for the approximately 20,000 Black Rats that live, and are revered in, the temple.[3] If one of the rats is killed, it must be replaced with one made of solid gold. Eating food that has been nibbled on by the rats is considered to be a "high honor"

"My my, these rat leftovers are delicious and the pottery's lovely." Dafuq is up with people. Oh yeah, religion and superstition. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The no doubt rampant cases of Weil's Disease among the pilgrims is probably seen as a religious experience, and the more severe the symptoms, the more intense the revelation.

• Advertisement

In a change to our religious programming, here are some women fighting amongst themselves over religion.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4378516,00.html
    YNetNews wrote:
    Thousands of female haredi worshipers heed call of community leaders to hold a mass prayer at site to upstage arrival of Women of the Wall; mass brawl erupts.

Haredi worshippers clashed with police in Jerusalem's Old City early Friday in the wake of the court authorization for the Women of the Wall to pray at the Jewish holy site. Thousands of female haredi worshipers arrived at the site, heeding the call of community leaders rabbis Ovadia Yosef and Aharon Leib Shteinman who entreated female Ulpan students to hold a mass prayer at the Western Wall on Friday in an attempt to push aside the Women of Wall prayer set for the same time. However, the rabbis stressed there is no need to act provocatively or violently.

A mass brawl erupted at the site at around 6:30 am, during which garbage, water, coffee and various objects were flung at dozens of Women of the Wall and police forming a human barrier between the female group and the ultra-Orthodox. Three yeshiva students were detained during the clashes. Two police officers were injured lightly. The protest comes in response to a Jerusalem District Court ruling last month, whereby the Women of the Wall may conduct their pluralistic customs in the holy site.

Knesset members Miri Regev (Likud ) and Tamar Zandberg (Meretz ) arrived on the scene. Zandberg described the scenes as "tumultuous and exciting," saying those objecting to the female group's right to pray at the site have shown themselves to be seeking antagonism at any cost. Deputy Jerusalem Mayor Isaac Pindar (United Torah Judaism) branded Women of the Wall "the women of provocation." Pindar told Ynet the thousands of haredi women who came this morning to hold a mass prayer nearby were "the true women of the wall."

Reform Movement CEO Rabbi Gilad Kariv, who also arrived at the site, said the leaders of the haredi public "desecrated the sanctity" of the Western Wall by calling on ultra-Orthodox to confront the Women of the Wall. The Rabbi of the Western Wall Shmuel Rabinovich said "these pictures hurt the eye. The Jewish Torah should unify and I ask the Lord above to give everyone the wisdom to overcome the controversy." He added a compromise regarding the praying sectors at the site was achieved through a Supreme Court ruling over a decade ago, but "a small group nevertheless decided to start the argument all over."

The riot again brings to the fore the issue of religion’s role – and the authority wielded by religious authorities associated with religious practice – in the modern State of Israel. In addition to being portrayed as the epicenter of Jewish prayer, the Western Wall is simultaneously a holy site and a site used for ceremonies such as soldiers’ swearing-in ceremonies and other national activities.

Until now, the site has been run in the manner of an Orthodox synagogue, with a high partition separating men’s and women’s prayer areas. Women coming to attend a bar mitzvah (a coming-of-age ceremony for boys at age 13) have had to climb up on chairs to peek over the partition in order to be part of the festivities.

Women of the Wall's Catherine Leff, 17, whose father is a Conservative rabbi, said the events actually strengthened the group and encouraged the members to sing and pray even louder. She said that at some point the haredim began to spit at the women until police cleared them from the area. According to Leff, the bus which transported the Women of the Wall out of compound was pelted with huge stones, but no one was injured.

Students enrolled in the Reform Movement's pre-military academy were also on hand to support the Women of the Wall. "We arrived from Tel Aviv to show our support," one of them said. "It is also a lesson in democracy, as there is no law that forbids women from praying in this manner." During the prayer, a woman approached the yeshiva students and yelled out "Israel's chief rabbi will be a woman." She was immediately removed from the area by police.

Yaakov, a 21-year-old haredi, said, "What these women are doing is disgraceful and against the Torah. We will continue to fight them. A woman draped in a tallit (prayer shawl) is ridiculous. Jews do not act this way. I am willing to get arrested. Some things justify a violent reaction."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Here's a BBC article on fundamentalist Christian "Quiverful" movement, where the only one who can check a father's power is God, and women believe they must give birth even if it threatens their lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

In a change to our religious programming, here are some women fighting amongst themselves over religion.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4378516,00.html

I feel sorry for the Wall - It didn't ask for any of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭swampgas

Here's a BBC article on fundamentalist Christian "Quiverful" movement, where the only one who can check a father's power is God, and women believe they must give birth even if it threatens their lives.

Officially, as far as I know, Catholicism has pretty much the same position in terms of having kids. Most Irish "Catholics" don't really care about that though. My mother tells stories from years ago of married women being quizzed by the parish priest when they weren't having an acceptable number of consecutive pregnancies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

swampgas wrote: »
    Officially, as far as I know, Catholicism has pretty much the same position in terms of having kids. Most Irish "Catholics" don't really care about that though. My mother tells stories from years ago of married women being quizzed by the parish priest when they weren't having an acceptable number of consecutive pregnancies.

Sex for pleasure = Badness. It has to be "pro-creative". For instance if a man was able to stimulate a womans breasts to the extent that she had orgasm, that would be a sin, as its not an act that can result in a child and is inducing pleasure for pleasures sake. It's all rather mental.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    Sex for pleasure = Badness. It has to be "pro-creative". For instance if a man was able to stimulate a womans breasts to the extent that she had orgasm, that would be a sin, as its not an act that can result in a child and is inducing pleasure for pleasures sake. It's all rather mental.

HETRO - NORMATIVE!!!!!!

HETRO - NORMATIVE!!!!!!

True. Also, the other way round would have been funnier.

HETRO - NORMATIVE!!!!!!

Sorry. I will repent for this by in future spelling women with a "y".

bluewolf wrote: »
    It would beat the stupid online habit people have of spelling "woman" as "women".
    You not included as I assume that was a plural :)

That was. What people who spell women as womyn do for the singular, I know not.

Sorry. I will repent for this by in future spelling women with a "y".

Yomen?

That was. What people who spell women as womyn do for the singular, I know not.

Wombat.

Or at least that was the term I kept using during a particularly annoying meeting with some of my more strident and vocal sistahs. :D

In my defense they started it by storming into my office and calling me a traitor to my gender because I expressed concerns about Women's Studies becoming an intellectual ghetto during a lecture which was attended by *gasp* male students. My sistahs in academia managed to ignore that I also took took the urine out of male students who snort at the idea of women's history as a valid area of research and pointed out to the class that this tendency at institutional level is the reason Women's Studies exists....I may have promised them their willies wouldn't fall off if they actually learned about some women...or did some ironing/hoovering...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

...or did some ironing/hoovering...

I like ironing! Hoovering, meh. I much prefer the broom (especially as the parents changed the floors from carpets to either stone tiling or wood).

Yomen?

There are many alternative spellings, including "womban" and
    "womon" (singular),
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Womyn
    Your "wombat" was close to the mark there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I like ironing! Hoovering, meh. I much prefer the broom (especially as the parents changed the floors from carpets to either stone tiling or wood).

I enjoy ironing... However I'm not good at it and it takes me for ever...
    I liks sweeping... not sure about hoovering... it's weird.
    I hate, with a passion, mopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

Halal burgers more tasty than expected. Religious people are worried.
    I wonder what would have happened to any kids who had inadvertantly eaten pork in some of the more religious-nuttery inclined countries.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement