Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hazards of Belief

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

Aghanistan's parliament refuse to pass a law giving women more rights.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/middle-east/afghan-parliament-fails-to-pass-divisive-women-s-law-1.1398955

This includes raising the age when a "woman" can be given up for marriage to 16 years of age. One reason cited was that Hazrat Abu Bakr Siddiq, a pal of Mohammad, married off his daughter at age seven.

So that's alright then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I may have promised them their willies wouldn't fall off if they did some ironing/hoovering...

Seriously? You promise? Right. I'll give it a go tomorrow, but I must warn you, I will be holding you personally responsible if my willy falls off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

endacl wrote: »
    Seriously? You promise? Right. I'll give it a go tomorrow, but I must warn you, I will be holding you personally responsible if my willy falls off.

It's bravery and self sacrifice like that which drives science and humanity ever onward. I salute you Sir. And your langer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

If it did cause willies to fall off I would not be a grandmother. ;)

If it did cause willies to fall off I would not be a grandmother. ;)

Gave it a try. All good so far. Nothing falling off!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I may have promised them their willies wouldn't fall off if they did some ironing/hoovering...
    Gave it a try. All good so far. Nothing falling off!
    What exactly are you doing with the hoover that might cause your willy to fall off?

robindch wrote: »
    What exactly are you doing with the hoover that might cause your willy to fall off?
    Long story... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Long story... :confused:
    No need to brag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Gordon wrote: »
    No need to brag.

Or lie for that matter...

• Advertisement

legspin wrote: »
    Or lie for that matter...

...!

The Pew Forum investigates acceptance of evolution in countries where islam is a major religion:

http://www.pewforum.org/uploadedFiles/Topics/Religious_Affiliation/Muslim/worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-full-report.pdf
    Pew Forum wrote:
    The greatest level of acceptance of evolution was in Kazakhstan (79%), Lebanon (78%), and the Palestinian territories (67%); the lowest level was in Afghanistan (26%), Iraq (27%), and Pakistan (30%). The global median was 53%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Has there ever been a survey of what percentage Irish people believe evolution/creationism?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Penn wrote: »
    Has there ever been a survey of what percentage Irish people believe evolution/creationism?

Yup.

800px-Views_on_Evolution.svg.png

Public acceptance of evolution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Scandinavia... in the European family they are the over achieving cousins, who don't even have the decency to be smug about it.

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    Yup.

Public acceptance of evolution

Thanks for that. We're not doing too badly then all things considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Penn wrote: »
    Thanks for that. We're not doing too badly then all things considered.

By my reading, about 20% identified the statement as being false. In other words, 1 in 5 Irish people have a strong disbelief in the theory of evolution. For a supposedly enlightened first world country that's pretty bad to be honest.
    It'd be interesting to see age breakdowns. I (like to) assume those who answered 'false' would have been of the OAP variety.

Galvasean wrote: »
    By my reading, about 20% identified the statement as being false. In other words, 1 in 5 Irish people have a strong disbelief in the theory of evolution. For a supposedly enlightened first world country that's pretty bad to be honest.
    It'd be interesting to see age breakdowns. I (like to) assume those who answered 'false' would have been of the OAP variety.

More like the DOAP variety.

DOAP? Dementia-Old-Age-Pensioners? :confused:

For a supposedly enlightened first world country that's pretty bad to be honest.

I don't disagree, and we are obviously where the curve is going downwards, but at the same time you'd have to consider the USA to be an "enlightened first world country" too and look where they are. While we're definitely located the wrong end of where the curve starts to go downwards, percentage-wise we're not that much worse than the top few countries (10-15%)

I suppose when you consider that evolution was pretty much unheard of in Irish schools during my parents' generation we aren't doing too bad I guess. It'd be interesting to see how much it shifts in the next 20-30 years.

• Advertisement

Once questioned my long-suffering Christian OH (oh how I torment her with questions :D) if she believed the Bible was the word of God. She said 'yes' so I asked if she believed the account given of the creation was correct..slight hesitation then a tentative 'yes' - in with 'explain dinosaurs then'!

Do you believe the Bible is correct?
    'Yes.'
    Do you believe dinosaurs existed?
    'Yes.'
    Do you believe dinosaurs lived on Earth before humans?
    'Yes.'
    So the Earth existed before humans came into existence?
    '....yes...'
    What about neanderthals - do you believe they existed?
    'Oh, yes. Absolutely.'

Talk me through that so.
    '....shuddup....'

OH has now reconsidered her position...:cool:

Quite simply she hadn't thought about it - I think like many Irish Catlicks (although she no longer calls herself 'catlick' and has become quite anti-RCC) she compartmentalises it all.

It's that good old cognitive dissonance again.

DOAP? Dementia-Old-Age-Pensioners? :confused:

Alternate spelling of 'dope'.

The new people says that "annoying" people and being a "nuisance" makes baby Jesus happy, and that propagating his religion "implies an element of madness".

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/pope-if-we-annoy-people-blessed-be-the-lord/
    CNA wrote:
    Vatican City, May 16, 2013 / 10:40 am (CNA/EWTN News).- The Pope told Christians it is better to be “annoying” and “a nuisance” than lukewarm in proclaiming Jesus Christ.

“If we annoy people, blessed be the Lord,” said Pope Francis during his morning Mass at the Vatican on May 16. “We can ask the Holy Spirit to give us all this apostolic fervor and to give us the grace to be annoying when things are too quiet in the Church,” he said at the chapel of the Saint Martha residence, where he lives.

He celebrated the Mass alongside Cardinal Peter Turkson and Bishop Mario Toso, the president and the secretary of the Vatican Council for Justice and Peace. Council staff and employees from Vatican Radio were among those attending the Eucharistic celebration.

The Pope preached on today’s first reading from Acts 22 and contrasted “backseat Christians” with those who have apostolic zeal. “There are those who are well mannered, who do everything well, but are unable to bring people to the Church through proclamation and apostolic zeal,” he stated.

The pontiff said apostolic zeal “implies an element of madness,” which he labeled as “healthy” and “spiritual.” He added that it “can only be understood in an atmosphere of love” and that it is not an “enthusiasm for power and possession.”

Pope Francis also dwelt on St. Paul’s actions in the reading from Acts. “Paul, in preaching of the Lord, was a nuisance, but he had deep within him that most Christian of attitudes, apostolic zeal,” he stated.

“He was not a man of compromise, no!” he exclaimed. “The truth, forward! The proclamation of Jesus Christ, forward!” The Pope noted that St. Paul’s fate was one “with many crosses, but he keeps going, he looks to the Lord and keeps going.”

“He is a man who, with his preaching, his work, his attitude irritates others, because testifying to Jesus Christ and the proclamation of Jesus Christ makes us uncomfortable. “It threatens our comfort zones, even Christian comfort zones, right?” he asked the congregation. “It irritates us.”

Pope Francis underscored that the Lord “always wants us to move forward, forward, forward, not to take refuge in a quiet life or in cozy structures.” Saint Paul’s apostolic zeal, he observed, comes from knowing Jesus Christ.

Paul did not find and encounter Jesus Christ with an intellectual or scientific knowledge, but with “that first knowledge of the heart and of a personal encounter.” According to the Pope, St. Paul was a “fiery” individual who was always in trouble, “not in trouble for troubles’ sake, but for Jesus” because “proclaiming Jesus is the consequence.”

“The Church has so much need of this, not only in distant lands, in the young churches, among people who do not know Jesus Christ, but here in the cities, in our cities, they need this proclamation of Jesus Christ,” Pope Francis stressed. “So let us ask the Holy Spirit for this grace of apostolic zeal, let’s be Christians with apostolic zeal, onwards, as the Lord says to Paul, take courage!” he exclaimed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Sh*t. That's dangerous stuff there. "C'mon folks, it's ok to be mentally unbalanced as long as it's for Jesus! ESPECIALLY if you fling it in the faces of anyone you think is less righteous than you! Be a zealot!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I wonder what he'd say if some zealot interrupted his Easter mass with a megaphone, shouting "Jesus loves you"?

Along the lines of "Will somebody go and shut that ****er up", I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

The Pope told Christians it is better to be “annoying” and “a nuisance” than lukewarm in proclaiming Jesus Christ.

If we annoy people, blessed be the Lord,” said Pope FrancisPaul did not find and encounter Jesus Christ with an intellectual or scientific knowledge, but with “that first knowledge of the heart

hdNIdiL.gif

As usual, he speaks in ambiguous and nebulous waffle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭swampgas

The new people says that "annoying" people and being a "nuisance" makes baby Jesus happy, and that propagating his religion "implies an element of madness".

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/pope-if-we-annoy-people-blessed-be-the-lord/

Well, I think there's plenty of truth to the "element of madness" angle.

Personally I prefer dealing with religious nutters who are up front about their insane beliefs, it makes the craziness more obvious, and provokes more thought amongst cultural Catholics. It's a pity the various Catholic clergymen who appeared at the Oireachtas commission a few months back weren't a bit more swivel-eyed. A bit of fire and brimstone and quoting from the Bible would have (IMO) been a far more accurate and truthful representation of their real beliefs, instead of hiding behind a load of waffle about "natural law".

Right-wing writer shoots himself dead at altar of Notre Dame after marriage equality passes.
    Police and his publisher confirmed the man’s identity as Dominique Venner, 78, a long-time essayist and activist linked with France’s far-right and nationalist groups.
    In a final essay on his website Tuesday, he railed against France’s adoption of a law legalising gay marriage and adoption, urging activists to take measures to protect “French and European identities”.

That'll show em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"If I commit suicide in a very public manner, they'll have to rethink everything about equality"

Conservative French artist in inflated sense of self-importance shocker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »

Photos of the suspect. Bloody hands and a couple of knives. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

If I were the guy taking pictures of the killer, I'd be shítting myself. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I think this is more hazardous than funny:
    LpyB3Z4.png

I'm worried that I can think of a handful of users on t'udder forum who'd probably agree with this oxygen-waster.

I think this is more hazardous than funny:
    LpyB3Z4.png

I'm worried that I can think of a handful of users on t'udder forum who'd probably agree with this oxygen-waster.
    While holygod's intentions are good, his aim has always been a bit iffy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

No no you see the children were innocents so have gone straight to heaven but the sex offenders would go to hell if they died without repenting... see God is actually being merciful by calling home the children before the world has a chance to corrupt them and is giving the sinners a chance to repent... ok so some children die horrible painful deaths but um... mysterious ways...

kiffer wrote: »
    No no you see the children were innocents so have gone straight to heaven but the sex offenders would go to hell if they died without repenting... see God is actually being merciful by calling home the children before the world has a chance to corrupt them and is giving the sinners a chance to repent... ok so some children die horrible painful deaths but um... mysterious ways...

The pain is so the can appreciate the bliss of heaven more. *DERP*

A religious couple kill a second child:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22633937

Their other children have -- unsurprisingly -- been taken into care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

A religious couple kill a second child:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22633937

Their other children have -- unsurprisingly -- been taken into care.
    The couple are members of the First Century Gospel Church, which shuns measures
    such as toothpaste and seatbelts, the Philadelphia Inquirer newspaper reported.

...obviously a hive of intellectuals......

Am I alone in actually being a little surprised that child services took over? I recall not long ago there was a story of some religious couple losing a second child to prayer over medical intervention, I was beginning to think everybody just gets a slap on the wrist the first time...

• Advertisement

Sarky wrote: »
    Am I alone in actually being a little surprised that child services took over? I recall not long ago there was a story of some religious couple losing a second child to prayer over medical intervention, I was beginning to think everybody just gets a slap on the wrist the first time...
    Same couple, this is an update of it

Also
    The couple are members of the First Century Gospel Church, which shuns measures such as toothpaste
    TOOTHPASTE
    wat

bluewolf wrote: »

TOOTHPASTE
    wat

Used to know a lot of Rastafarians who wouldn't use any mass produced chemical based products - toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant etc. Bi-carb soda to clean teeth, hand made unperfumed soaps made of ash/fat only, wash body then used natural oils, nearly impossible to wash dreadlocks so they would use natural oils on hair.

Took a while to get used to the way they smelt - which wasn't bad by any means just not perfumed. I liked it. I'd certainly prefer to be stuck in a lift with 5 Rastas than 1 person who is a kaleidoscope of conflicting 'perfumes'.
    I refuse to sit near my sister when eating - deodorant, hair products, body lotion, hand cream, make-up, perfume and fabric softner = all I can 'taste' is her smell.

Not saying that is the case here - this lot could just be stinky.

I thought using a lot of bicarb was bad for your teeth

I like my smelly perfumes and lotions and things :cool:

Well I won't be getting in an elevator with you and inviting you to my hotel room for a coffee so!

:pac:

Mint shower gel with a dash of Old Spice afterwards. :cool:

Pray for my 'devil child', says Katy Perry's father
    Katy Perry's preacher dad has reportedly called her a “devil child” and asked people to pray for her.

He has been touring American churches with his wife Mary asking congregations to pray for his daughter, according to The Sun newspaper.

Speaking to believers in Santa Fe Springs, California, Keith Perry reportedly said: “They ask how can I preach if I produce a girl who sang about kissing another girl?

“I was at a concert of Katy’s where there were 20,000. I’m watching this generation and they were going at it.

“It almost looked like church.

“I stood there and wept and kept on weeping and weeping. They’re loving and worshipping the wrong thing.”

Telling a bunch of gun-toting fundamentalist nutbars that your daughter is the spawn of Satan can't be seen as good parenting. That crazy talk could get her killed.

• Advertisement

Was once asked by a groups of 2nd year lads in a seminar what the best advice I could give them was - I replied 'Lynx - don't wear it. It's nasty.'

I thought using a lot of bicarb was bad for your teeth

http://youtu.be/IKiSPUc2Jck?t=31s

Was once asked by a groups of 2nd year lads in a seminar what the best advice I could give them was - I replied 'Lynx - don't wear it. It's nasty.'

Those kids will go far. Like, second base at least. Although I do know a few ladies who claim to love the smell of the Africa deodorant. Honestly I just buy Old Spice because there's a wolf on the label... >_>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Hugo Boss is boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

My little brother put on Lynx one day in the bathroom.

The smell of it woke me up on the other side of the house.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement