Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hazards of Belief

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Sarky wrote: »
    Those kids will go far. Like, second base at least. Although I do know a few ladies who claim to love the smell of the Africa deodorant. Honestly I just buy Old Spice because there's a wolf on the label... >_>
    Nah, Hawk or the mountain one is where it's at. The wolf one is nasty. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    My little brother put on Lynx one day in the bathroom.

The smell of it woke me up on the other side of the house.

I have a rule for the last 12 years - no Lynx in the house. ie. my step-son was asked to spray himself outside, and my teenage son has been asked the same. My teen has thankfully gone off Lynx now, but I have all the car windows open on a Friday night when delivering himself and a car load of hormonal young fellas to youth club....jaysus, the mixture of smells would fell a horse. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

But but the ad says spray more get more... why would they lie? What could they possibly stand to gain?! I don't know what to believe anymore.

For the record I'm pretty sure lynx is some kind of tear gas... and I'm really not sure why people seem to apply it by spraying a cloud into the air and walking into it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm over 40 and use Lynx :eek: they keep changing the names, but the one they currently call 'cool metal' is ok, and the mrs is even willing to buy it for me if I ask nicely so I take it she doesn't object too strongly :)

They do have several 'spicy' varieties like Africa which are particularly rank though.

I like Boss aftershave (and so does she) great for going out but too expensive to use every day.

My late father was born in 1920. He used Old Spice. He used to have an Old Spice shaving mug and bristle brush. I liked the smell of that when I was a kid, but it's just not for me. I'll never get to smoke a pipe or wear a cap either...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Brut 33. Oh yeah.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

ninja900 wrote: »
    I'll never get to smoke a pipe or wear a cap either...

Well I could do without the cap myself, but man you are missing out on the pipe smoking.

Wow, the riding position on those 70s GP bikes is positively laid-back compared to many road-going sportsbikes of today :eek:

'Oi splash it on all ovah' classic.

But who could forget... Hai Karate. Be careful how you use it.

Apologies for terrible sound. But the American Hai Karate ad was even worse, if that were possible...

(Maybe that was what Woody Allen was using?)

Those were a bit before my era :) but I clearly remember Denim. IIRC it lasted right through the 80s, well after Brut, and long after Hai Karate which was passed around as a joke gift in our family in the early 80s.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

You call yourselves men?

Just douse yourselves in some moose urine and have done with it.

(Must be moose. Always read the label.)

Moose Piss or Hai Karate?

Ah well, in fairness, we lads have it easy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwojmuF2zfE

All funny but relevant from 3.00 onwards.

Probably NSFW.

• Advertisement

legspin wrote: »

Probably NSFW.

But very funny. Can't wait to repeat it to the teen - Look on his face will be priceless! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

endacl wrote: »
    While holygod's intentions are good, his aim has always been a bit iffy.

At least Offler admits that he's just trigger happy (even if his High Priest doesn't). Remember kiddies, Crocodile headed gods are more truthful than beardie ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Muslims in a province of Burma have been ordered not to have more than two
    children in an attempt by the government to stop Buddhist attacks on
    Muslims.

State officials said the two-child limit in the state of Rakhine would ease
    tensions between Buddhists and their Muslim Rohingya neighbours.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/25/burma-muslims-two-child-limit

Between this and the attitude to other tribes within Burmese borders, you have to say it seems a bit early to have removed sanctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Guess who wants us to regress to being a nation of emotional retards? This auld bint.

Guess who wants us to regress to being a nation of emotional retards? This auld bint.

Actually, she's doing it wrong. She has done exactly what (from the article) Barry Singleton said "I came across a piece on the Irish Catholic on depression and suicide. Mary Kenny calls for lesson in stoicism in young people, which she describes as: “the Greek philosophy of enduring suffering bravely and without complaint.” – needless to say, this flies in the face of all the campaigning and work done to encourage young people to talk, reach out and get the help they need." and has alienated people from a philosophy that encourages looking at your emotions and improving your well-being, leading to feeling more in tune with your own nature, not shutting away your feelings so you don't look at them.

What does she think counselors do exactly? They constantly employ the tools of reason and logic to help people come to a greater awareness that all is not lost, hopeless, etc. - not a million miles away from some of the central philosophies in Stocism. She, however, IS a million miles away from helping people who need a listening ear to help them gain a different perspective with her "pull yourself together" crap. In practice, good counselors are all about helping you come to proportional reactions to events and never, but never, telling people they are wrong to feel a certain way. It's profoundly stupid of Mary Kenny to go wading in telling people how they should be doing better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Obliq wrote: »
    Actually, she's doing it wrong.

The 'doing it wrong' title is from Broadsheet.ie, criticising Kenny.

Galvasean wrote: »
    The 'doing it wrong' title is from Broadsheet.ie, criticising Kenny.

Yeah, I'd spotted that ;) It was a bit open ended - I took it to mean that she was saying to young men "You're doing it wrong" where she says an absolutely disproportionate, and indeed wrong, response to a bad event.”

To think that forty-odd years ago she was regarded as a radical feminist, now she's writing conservative authoritarian guff in The Irish Catholic :rolleyes:

It's a long long way from 'Ugandan Discussions' :eek:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    You call yourselves men?

Just douse yourselves in some moose urine and have done with it.

(Must be moose. Always read the label.)

Sex Panther ftw.

http://www.firebox.com/product/2291/Sex-Panther

MrP

• Advertisement

Panther piss. Yup, you win Mr.P as far as I'm concerned :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

robindch wrote: »
    A religious couple kill a second child:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22633937
    Turns out that it may be a lot worse than that:

It seems that families attending two churches in Philadelphia -- the one involved above, together with another one -- have lost twenty-four children over the last forty-odd years in what may be similar circumstances:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Faith-Healing-Churches-Linked-to-Two-Dozen-Child-Deaths-208745201.html

Turns out that it may be a lot worse than that:

It seems that families attending two churches in Philadelphia -- the one involved above, together with another one -- have lost twenty-four children over the last forty-odd years in what may be similar circumstances:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Faith-Healing-Churches-Linked-to-Two-Dozen-Child-Deaths-208745201.html

See? Evidence of evolution by natural selection! Those churches won't last more than a few generations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

See? Evidence of evolution by natural selection! Those churches won't last more than a few generations.

It's unfair to the children to include them of part of that religion. They had the misfortune of being left in the care of people who should never have been let attempt to raise children.

They are probably also a quiver full type group as well. So while the might lose a child or two but they'll have another 8... so in the long run they'll out breed groups that only have 2.4 children per woman.

Well, ladies, here's a list of ten things that our great little nation wouldn't allow women to do back in 1970:

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/57301/ten-things-an-irish-
    woman-could-not-do-in-1970-and-be-prepared-to-cringe

A woman couldn't:
    1. Keep her job in the public service or a bank when she got married
    2. Sit on a jury
    3. Buy contraceptives
    4. Drink a pint in a pub
    5. Collect her children's allowance
    6. Get a barring order against a violent partner
    7. Live securely in her family home
    8. Refuse to have sex with her husband
    9. Choose her official place of domicile
    10. Get the same rate for a job as a man

• Advertisement

Well, ladies, here's a list of ten things that our great little nation wouldn't allow women to do back in 1970:

A woman couldn't:
    2. Sit on a jury
    3. Buy contraceptives
    4. Drink a pint in a pub
    Well, we've nine of the ten fairly well accounted for. Number 10 still needs a bit of work afaik?

Well, we've nine of the ten fairly well accounted for. Number 10 still needs a bit of work afaik?
    I know. I wish I made as much as some of my female friends. :confused:

I'm told that uk women in their20s are earning a few percent more than men in their 20s on average... I wonder how accurate that is.
    I imagine it's probably a mix of the downturn in construction work and higher rates of unemployment in men?...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

No, I wish this stat, when presented, was given some context.

Women earn x% less than men, on average. That doesn't mean they earn less for the same work, it means all women's earnings put together compared to all men's earnings are lower. This is due to a number of factors - entering lower-paying jobs (say a nurse compared to a Garda, cashier compared to a builder or similar), part time jobs (to be free to mind kids) and missing out on potential promotions due to breaks in their career for maternity leave.

Where women are young and childless, they do indeed earn more than men (certainly in the US and I'm sure I've seen similar stats for either here or the UK).

kiffer wrote: »
    I'm told that uk women in their20s are earning a few percent more than men in their 20s on average... I wonder how accurate that is.
    I imagine it's probably a mix of the downturn in construction work and higher rates of unemployment in men?...
    Hey, I also wish I earned as much as some of my male friends...

• Advertisement

I wish I earned money all of the time :o

• Moderators Posts: 51,866 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Russia moves closer to jail terms for offending religion
    (Reuters) - Russian lawmakers on Tuesday took a step toward imposing jail terms for offending religious feelings, approving legislation proposed after punk band Pussy Riot performed a raucous protest song in Moscow's main Orthodox Christian cathedral.

Critics say the bill will give government-approved religious groups protection others lack and blur the line between church and state under President Vladimir Putin, who has advocated a strong societal role for the Russian Orthodox Church.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Girlfriend got taxed nearly as much as I earned last month :(

Girlfriend got taxed nearly as much as I earned last month :(

Have yourselves declared a religion - Tax problem, solved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Have yourselves declared a religion - Tax problem, solved!

No - he should have his girlfriend declared a religion. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    No - he should have his girlfriend declared a religion. :D

That would either be no fun or very very creepy.

Jernal wrote: »
    That would either be no fun or very very creepy.

Yeah, but when you're in the company of worshipers of a magic zombie jew perhaps worshiping a lady who pays too much tax is fairly normal. :)

Cossax wrote: »
    No, I wish this stat, when presented, was given some context.

Women earn x% less than men, on average. That doesn't mean they earn less for the same work, it means all women's earnings put together compared to all men's earnings are lower. This is due to a number of factors - entering lower-paying jobs (say a nurse compared to a Garda, cashier compared to a builder or similar), part time jobs (to be free to mind kids) and missing out on potential promotions due to breaks in their career for maternity leave.

Where women are young and childless, they do indeed earn more than men (certainly in the US and I'm sure I've seen similar stats for either here or the UK).
    Well colour me red. I presumed people were comparing like with like, not the population as a w whole

Well colour me red. I presumed people were comparing like with like, not the population as a w whole

It's a very common misconception - knowingly repeated by certain pressure groupsuntil it appears to be fact as far as the public is concerned.

Leslie Stevenson, who was due to be made the CofI's Bishop of Meath and Kildare, announced that he is declining the appointment as he had an affair in 1999.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/archdeacon-declines-appointment-as-bishop-of-meath-and-kildare-1.1375817

I don't recall too many catholic bishops resigning over past transgressions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I don't recall too many catholic bishops resigning over past transgressions.

I don't recall too many catholic bishops admitting to past transgressions.

In Medjugorje, an open-minded former yoga-teacher finds truth, and a demonic infestation irritated by sanctity.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/my-date-with-the-devil-in-medjugorje-232541.html
    The body was thrashing; it took six men to control its charged strength. The crowd was praying feverishly in Italian, ‘Santa Maria, prega per noi.’ Those words now etched in my memory. I had gone with an open mind to Medjugorje, Bosnia Herzegovina, where Our Lady has been appearing to six visionaries for the past 32 years. But I wasn’t expecting to meet the devil.

I was wandering by St James’ Church, where millions of pilgrims attend beautiful masses and prayer services, when I stumbled upon an exorcism. I pushed my head in through the crowd. It was a horror show I will never forget. The priest was bent over an Italian woman, aged in her 30s, whose face was contorted in rage.

Her lips were pulled back as she bared her teeth, hissing, straining, snarling and writhing. The priest had the bible in one hand, reciting scripture. With his other hand, the priest repeatedly made the sign of the cross on the woman’s forehead. Another, younger priest was administering holy water for the woman to drink. Her pupils were so dilated that her eyes were pools of black. Her hands were clawing at the air, the fingers curled and poised to scratch.

The scene was so grotesque and disturbing that a number of those praying were crying. I had to fight back the tears myself. As if to rally each other against this diabolical enemy, the crowd formed a circle of prayer, holding hands. There I was, in the middle of it, frightened out of my wits, yet utterly intrigued by this ancient ritual in action.

The demon inside hissed and seethed every time the crowd blessed the woman with holy water. The demon alternated that frightening sound with abusive cursing of its tormentors, the priests, uttered through its diabolical, other-worldly gurgling. The woman’s face relaxed a little and she joined in the recital of the Rosary with those around her. The tension eased slightly. We were all praying, literally, for her deliverance. “Prega per noi,” she said.

And then, out of nowhere, the woman’s neck muscles stretched and strained, pushing her head right into the priest’s face, the lips curled back, the teeth bared and this blood-curdling, hideous laugh emerged as if to say ‘fooled you.’ I found the whole thing so disturbing that I wondered what would become of this woman. How long would this process take? After 30 minutes or so (I had missed the previous two hours), the demon subsided, the woman’s body went limp, and the priests placed her in a seated position on a nearby bench. She looked dazed and confused, like someone coming-to after fainting. Exhausted, she began to cry.

Among the crowd, a teenage boy was so traumatised he burst into tears. The rest of us departed slowly, shocked and deeply disturbed by what we had seen. All that night, I couldn’t remove those images from my head. Recalling the screeching voice sent shivers down my spine. There has been much speculation that the Pope performed an exorcism on a wheelchair-bound boy, at St Peter’s Square, earlier last week. It may have been a deliverance. Any kind of blessing serves the purpose of driving away evil. The Vatican and the Church play down the ritual of exorcism, perhaps to not frighten believers and not attract more bad press.

But in Medjugorje, where Our Lady is welcomed with respectful silence everyday at 6.40pm, instances of possession and deliverance are common. “Wherever Our Lady is present, so is the devil,” I’m told by experienced visitors to Medjugorje. Demons in pilgrims become enraged in the holy presence of Jesus and the Virgin Mary, as if they cannot bear the sanctity.

Some forms of exorcism are straightforward, such as deliverance, perhaps from a chronic addiction or other, debilitating behaviour. Instances of demonic possession can be drawn out and dramatic and can continue for days. When I ask what a person may have done to attract a demonic infestation, the answers vary, but the occult, I am told, particularly ouija boards, are significant dangers.
    This sends me scurrying to confession. I believe in God and I go to mass. I pray and live a good life, though I am not always successful.

But stumbling into the midst of something so disturbing changes a person’s perspective. Experiencing the hellish wrath of that demon had a profound effect. I went to Medjugorje for one week and stayed for three. I had previously travelled the world seeking spiritual truth, staying at a Hindu ashram in Nepal, with Buddhist monks in the Himalayas, and lapping up the generous ethos of Islam in the Middle East and Indonesia.

I trained as a yoga teacher in India, moved to a cottage in the countryside in West Cork, and took part in some punishing pilgrimages at Lough Derg. But nowhere else have I found the sense of peace, light and love that exists in Medjugorje. Miracles abound every day there; personal, life-changing miracles. Catholicism, with all its sacraments and sacred rituals, is celebrated.

Thousands kneel and pray before the Blessed Sacrament during the outdoor ‘holy hour’ in the basilica, yet you can hear a pin drop, such is the level of reverence. Adults are routinely reduced to tears, sometimes great wracking sobs, as an understanding of years of pent-up pain and frustration is realised, the first step in healing. I became a junkie for holy hour in Medjugorje, watching siblings, couples, friends, and families embrace in love as the 60 minutes drew to a close. In a world brimful of lies and deceit, I found the truth in Medjugorje.

And the truth is that the devil does exist, he’s just very good at duping people into thinking he doesn’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

But in Medjugorje, where Our Lady is welcomed with respectful silence everyday at 6.40pm, instances of possession and deliverance are common. “Wherever Our Lady is present, so is the devil,” I’m told by experienced visitors to Medjugorje. Demons in pilgrims become enraged in the holy presence of Jesus and the Virgin Mary, as if they cannot bear the sanctity.
    I've been there, done that. Its not as exciting as they make out though. Everyone walked up to the top of the local hill, where "our lady" appeared at the appointed hour. Nobody saw anything of course. Then gradually people started drifting back down again, very quietly, as nobody could tell whether the event was over or not. Then the next day, some people said they had "felt the presence" of our lady. I suppose the odd pilgrim goes a bit further and does the old demonic shudder, but sadly I didn't see anyone doing it. Nice area though; I enjoyed wandering around the lanes picking and eating grapes at the roadside, and there is probably one of the world's greatest collections of Wackos to be seen there.

"Men think epilepsy divine, merely because they do not understand it. But if they called everything divine which they do not understand, why, there would be no end to divine things.”
    Hippocrates ~400 BC

Poor person, I'm sure it's bad enough to come out of a fit without some strangers chanting at you and people holding you down trying to make you drink.

A woman couldn't:
    2. Sit on a jury
    3. Buy contraceptives But neither could men. It's not just a woman's responsibility, eh, EH?
    4. Drink a pint in a pub

My mother had a decent civil service job in the 1960s, had to resign on marriage. On proof of widowhood or desertion (widowhood in her case) she got her job back in 1986.. had to pay back the gratuity she got on being kicked out in the 60s though :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

A woman couldn't:
    2. Sit on a jury
    3. Buy contraceptives
    4. Drink a pint in a pub

This can't be true. I was told that the old days were simple, everyone knew each other, the sun always shone and the locks on people's front doors were made out of paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭wench

They'll need to hand out something stronger than just tea with this line-up...

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/06/05/body-and-soul-line-up/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The comments section is far better there:
    John Waters posing like Shirley Temple. Boop boop a boop.
    His rendition of “On the Good Ship Lollipop” is transcendent…nobody rocks a gingham pinafore like Waters…
    “The good ship Lollipop was a personification of our fantasies, of our sense of how sweet we were becoming, of how short a trip we might have to the candy shop. She was perhaps the most spectacular candy vessel on the ocean, a schooner of sugary desire ploughing through the brine of the Irish zeitgeist to our own personal Peppermint Bay. I am crying as I write this.”
    Don’t tell that woman on the Twitter, but “RTE falls for Iona bore” is an anagram of “Free Abortions For All”.

• Advertisement

wench wrote: »
    They'll need to hand out something stronger than just tea with this line-up.
    Ye gods -- what would the Church do if Satan caused the roof to cave in?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement