Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hazards of Belief

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

kylith wrote: »
    But those jerseys are the only things that make rugby watchable for us non-sport watching girlies.

They are a menace. Can't get a proper grip on the bloody things so the scrums arn't as tightly bound as they should be leading to more chance of a collapse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    They are a menace. Can't get a proper grip on the bloody things so the scrums arn't as tightly bound as they should be leading to more chance of a collapse.

Yeah, well, um...

dan-carter-rugby.jpg

Whoo! I know that not everyone will agree, but sign me up for the rugby thing!

Yeah, well, um...

dan-carter-rugby.jpg

Whoo! I know that not everyone will agree, but sign me up for the rugby thing!

He's a back - or a 'Jessica' as they are known in women's rugby. Sure they are only there to make up the numbers and look pretty for the press.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

He's a back - or a 'Jessica' as they are known in women's rugby. Sure they are only there to make up the numbers and look pretty for the press.

I think this is probably the right time to bring this one up.

BOFXi5xCYAAYRkh.jpg:large

Are....are they all that pretty? I might just have to start watching rugby.

Of course, for every one of him there's probably five of

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQugIHu6CaCbx86wH6yJxyHx_B5gFNoLuRMIfcpSuKjJD67zSK4

• Advertisement

He, however, is an absolute gentleman and an all round dotey pet.

He, however, is an absolute gentleman and an all round dotey pet.

I wouldn't doubt it for a moment.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

All this rugby talk reminds me of the French rugby calendar. <--- Click at your own risk and probably NSFW. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The UK Government approves a deal to hand over control of thousands of secular schools to the Church of England.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/education/article3807588.ece
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/07/04/church-control-secular-schools-times_n_3544800.html
    The Times wrote:
    Thousands of secular state schools could be run by the Church of England after the Government agreed a deal to expand its role in education. Bishops will be given the power to appoint governors at the schools, in a change to academies policy negotiated by church leaders. The Church will be legally obliged to preserve the character of non-faith schools, but the decision still provoked outrage among secular groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Other way round by some considerable margin. There are thousands of the whiney primadonnas. There will only ever be one Bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

I would go further and say they are downright fúcking dangerous. Try telling that to the poseurs in the backs or the alickadoos supposedly in charge though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

robindch wrote: »
    The UK Government approves a deal to hand over control of thousands of secular schools to the Church of England.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/07/04/church-control-secular-schools-times_n_3544800.html

"striding purposefully backwards" is a song title that comes to mind....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Nodin wrote: »
    "striding purposefully backwards" is a song title that comes to mind....

I'm thinkin' "Highway to Hell" is also quite apt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

legspin wrote: »
    I still miss it. I see my young lads playing and all I want to do is turn some unfortunate loose-head into a pretzel.

I remember my all too brief days as a forward in Secondary School. Feats included being tackled by three people and just carrying on, and as the coach put it "displaying the finest ball stealing ability he had ever seen", which was in essence, picking up my unfortunate classmate and dropping him back down (safely) till he released.

Then I went to college and got a culture shock of being far too small to be a forward standing among gents who were a good foot taller than me at least :pac:

Beruthiel wrote: »
    All this rugby talk reminds me of the French rugby calendar. <--- Click at your own risk and probably NSFW. :D

Damn-hot-fanning-.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Seems its all down to money. A cash strapped public school signs up to be part of an Academy chain to get access to sponsorship money. The sponsor gets to control the ethos of the school. The govt still pays the basic running costs; equivalent to teacher salaries and building maintenance. Pupils can expect better facilities due to the extra sponsorship. Presumably most would try to ignore the indoctrination, as you might try to ignore the adds whenever watching free web content. Not only the C of E, but also rich wacko American creationists are getting in on the act.

Its a dangerous experiment IMO... not good to be messing with young heads like that. At the same time, its not vastly different to our own system, where private schools also receive State support.

Beruthiel wrote: »

helloooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Disgraceful. I know we're hardly in a position to criticise, but still.
    I remember my all too brief days as a forward in Secondary School.

The 'christian' 'brothers' didn't allow us play fordinj games :(

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    Disgraceful. I know we're hardly in a position to criticise, but still.

The 'christian' 'brothers' didn't allow us play fordinj games :(

It's almost compulsory in CBS in Cork - my great uncle still says the only thing of value he learned off 'those terrorists the co-called Christian Brothers was rugger.'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,257 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the best thing i took away from having gone to a catholic boy's school was a complete disdain for the sport of rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

the best thing i took away from having gone to a catholic boy's school was a complete disdain for the sport of rugby.

Well it is very homoerotic. :pac:

This place has become infested with rugger buggers, it must be The Lions tour or something.
    Anyway, whose turn is it to pick up the soap?

recedite wrote: »
    This place has become infested with rugger buggers, it must be The Lions tour or something.
    Anyway, whose turn is it to pick up the soap?

BOD's.

He's been shafted this time alright :)

Rooting-for-the-wallabies.jpg

From Paddy Power's antipodean tentacle...

Scrap the cap!

Rooting-for-the-wallabies.jpg

From Paddy Power's antipodean tentacle...

Turns out it was the Wallabies who got buggered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

A load of 'woman's role is to support her husband and kids with no thought for herself because that is how God made her' wrapped up in lovey dovey sentimental crap and this was put on my page by a fecking single lesbian with no kids who does exactly as she pleases*. WTF???

Maybe you should write some ****e about a lesbian being struck by lightning an dieing of it, and her nephew* asking god why he did it, and god replying "because she sinned against my law, so she must be punished".

And finish off the little homily with, "why do you believe in the christian horse manure? They're obliged to hate and revile you."

* any relative will do.

P.S. That kind of **** really annoys me.

recedite wrote: »
    Seems its all down to money. A cash strapped public school signs up to be part of an Academy chain to get access to sponsorship money. The sponsor gets to control the ethos of the school. The govt still pays the basic running costs; equivalent to teacher salaries and building maintenance. Pupils can expect better facilities due to the extra sponsorship. Presumably most would try to ignore the indoctrination, as you might try to ignore the adds whenever watching free web content. Not only the C of E, but also rich wacko American creationists are getting in on the act.

Its a dangerous experiment IMO... not good to be messing with young heads like that. At the same time, its not vastly different to our own system, where private schools also receive State support.

Unfortunately all too often the "sponsors" turn out to be YECcers, who want to spread their poison to everybody.

Oh and the "sponsorship" money is pitiful, under TB it was £2m total for ever, one tenth of the average capital maintenance costs of a school for a year. For that you got full control of a school for 30 years minimum, and the school still had to find 299/300 of its normal spending (never mind building new facilities). According to Private Eye the percentages have not changed under Call me Dave and A Name too Jewish for a Future Prime Minister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Did the magic power of seven kill off the Curse of Cameron? Murray's win came on 7/7, 77 years after Fred Perry (and he broke Djokovic's serve in seventh game of each set)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2358006/Andy-Murrays-Wimbledon-win-came-7-7-77-years-Fred-Perry.html

• Advertisement

Steven Anderson, a 31-year old preacher, is interviewed by an Irish radio station. So much fail ensues, it's hard to know where to start.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/07/06/christian-pastor-i-believe-that-the-government-should-use-the-death-penalty-on-homosexuals/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm surprised he didn't end up on Coleman At Large. :pac:

Mary Robinson mentions that Archbishop McQuaid, former High King of Catholic Ireland, condemned her as a ‘curse upon the country’ when she was 26:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/robinson-was-condemned-as-curse-by-archbishop-236759.html
    Mrs Robinson, the first female president of Ireland, was promoting her best-selling autobiography, Everybody Matters, at the festival, of which the Irish Examiner is media partner. Mrs Robinson said her upbringing in Co Mayo was “quite comfortable. I was very lucky in the encouragement my parents gave me, and the opportunities they gave me, especially in my education.

“Ireland was authoritarian when I was growing up, particularly in the way it treated women. The doctrine of Jesus Christ is the strongest moral code I know, but I think the country had drifted far away from that.” She studied law at Trinity College Dublin and later did her master’s in law at Harvard. Her experience of the Civil Rights movement in America inspired her to seek election to the Seanad. There she controversially campaigned for the legalisation of contraception. “Archbishop McQuaid condemned me as a ‘curse upon the country’,” she said. “I was just 26 at the time.”

She said she was shocked at being asked to run for president. “On the 14th of Feb, 1990, [attorney general] John Rogers rang and asked to meet me. He called around to my home and told me the Labour Party wanted to challenge the presidency, and asked me would I put my named forward. At first, I was astonished. But after thinking about it and discussing it with [husband] Nick, and realising how much the elected president of Ireland can do, I agreed.” One of the highlights of her career was meeting Nelson Mandela. “He is everything that people say he is.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Mary Robinson mentions that Archbishop McQuaid, former High King of Catholic Ireland, condemned her as a ‘curse upon the country’ when she was 26:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/robinson-was-condemned-as-curse-by-archbishop-236759.html
    The doctrine of Jesus Christ is the strongest moral code I know
    Meh.

Strictly speaking, Jesus Christ is not a "doctrine", as such. More a person, or even a god, depending on your point of view.
    But I think I know what "President for Life" Mary Robinson means by this.
    Anything good; any good deeds and any luvvy duvvy stuff can be attributed to JC. Any bad $hit that was ever perpetrated by Christians was due to them straying from the path. Its a simple and strong moral code, although it works just as well if you call it the Micky Mouse doctrine, and attribute it to him instead.

Some robots spend a lot of time at the bar:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4d0_1373951169

• Advertisement

Meh.

I was thinking, "if that's the strongest moral code she knows, where did she get her morals from?"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Christian leaning store wins against Obama's assault on religion!!

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2013/07/20/hobby-lobby-n1644817

What a dreadful bunch of bigots (that site, and the employer)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

What a dreadful bunch of bigots (that site, and the employer)

When you are greeted by a big pop up asking if Sarah Palin should run for Senate you know what kind of site you're on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Galvasean wrote: »
    When you are greeted by a big pop up asking if Sarah Palin should run for Senate you know what kind of site you're on.

A comedy site!

:)

• Advertisement

A site that needs to be visited with Javascript and Flash disabled :) (which is true of 99% of the web.)

Scrap the cap!

• Site Banned Posts: 8 Creator12

This forum has lost its value and credibility for Past few year. The foram was filled with thoughts and opinions when suddenly few Mods of this foram started becoming personal with users. I was one of them. I became victim of tyranny of Dades. He started editing and deleting my post without any reason. Now the foram seems to be dead. The gulls don't land here any more. Moderators, when couldn't shut eye of reason, became dictators. Blood was spilled. IDs were banned. But in this age of tyranny the courage of one man to stands against all the tyrants and dictators is priceless. Liberty is my religion. Liberty of hands, liberty of thoughts, liberty of IDs.

Dades wrote: »
    The latest dead one re-reg is now permabanned.
    Dades wrote: »
    Hello and goodbye, dead one.
    Hey dades. You should be dead with shame. With all of your tyranny and dictatorship. You could shut my mouth. If you were real man, you should resign from this board. But i know you are a sweet lady. lol. The world is very harsh my lady

MrPudding wrote: »
    Dead One? Is that you on TV?

MrP
    Hey Pudding. I remember, last time you put me in your ignore list. You are only good in back talking. On face, you are afraid:pac:

"Western talk of women’s liberation is nothing but a disguised form of exploitation of her body, degradation of her soul, and deprivation of her honour. Western society claims to have ‘uplifted’ women. On the contrary, it has actually degraded them to the status of concubines, mistresses and society butterflies who are mere tools in the hands of pleasure seekers and sex marketers.

woman body part are used in media, movies, in sex scenes to attract all kind of godless atheist. This hot their brain and they masturbate in washrooms. Women parts are used to advertise product. Women are indoctrinated in such a way they like this hollow world and fake. They hate modesty, the way of chasteness. They wish to be sex object in the minds of men. Oh lord. What a fairly world based on lies

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I think if you live to another country, you should observe that countries customs and traditions. Belgium is a modern, progressive western European nation.

Why think thus O men of piety
    I have returned to sobriety
    I am neither a Muslim nor a Hindu
    I am not Christian, Zoroastrian, nor Jew

I am neither of the West nor the East
    Not of the ocean, nor an earthly beast
    I am neither a natural wonder
    Nor from the stars yonder

Neither flesh of dust, nor wind inspire
    Nor water in veins, nor made of fire
    I am neither an earthly carpet, nor gems terrestrial
    Nor am I confined to Creation, nor the Throne Celestial

Not of ancient promises, nor of future prophecy
    Not of hellish anguish, nor of paradisic ecstasy
    Neither the progeny of Adam, nor Eve
    Nor of the world of heavenly make-believe

My place is the no-place
    My image is without face
    Neither of body nor the soul
    I am of the Divine Whole.

I eliminated duality with joyous laughter
    Saw the unity of here and the hereafter
    Unity is what I sing, unity is what I speak
    Unity is what I know, unity is what I seek

Intoxicated from the chalice of Love
    I have lost both worlds below and above
    Sole destiny that comes to me
    Licentious mendicity

In my whole life, even if once
    Forgot His name even per chance
    For that hour spent, for such moment
    I’d give my life, and thus repent

Beloved Master, Shams-e Tabrizi
    In this world with Love I’m so drunk
    The path of Love isn’t easy
    I am shipwrecked and must be sunk.

I think if you live to another country, you should observe that countries customs and traditions. Belgium is a modern, progressive western European nation.
    I am not against material progress. But using women to flourish customs. Like in media women are used an object. In trade etc... For example.. Woman are used to advertise cars and product. Woman should be respected. They should not be used as object like sex object. Prostition should be banned. Woman's status should be protect. If you can't then all of your progress is fake.. There is no humanity in it. Whether it is Belgium or Irish. If a woman wants to cover herself who are you to snatch her right?. You family system has been destroyed. The children don't care for their parents. Husband cheat on their wives and you ban modest dress of woman. Is that what you call freedom

^^^ creator has been uncreated.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement