Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hazards of Belief

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

But he was just trying to save me and all the other women!

I can't tell you how many times I have left the house wearing jeans and a tshirt only for a MAN to jump out of the bushes and force me to wear a bikini and sell cars.

You don't understand the struggle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Creator12 wrote: »
    If you were real man, you should resign from this board. But i know you are a sweet lady. lol. The world is very harsh my lady
    I took this selfie for you. :)

5cgAz9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    But he was just trying to save me and all the other women!

I can't tell you how many times I have left the house wearing jeans and a tshirt only for a MAN to jump out of the bushes and force me to wear a bikini and sell cars.

You don't understand the struggle.

Shocking, isn't it? Thankfully I'm generally too busy flicking the bean in the loo to worry too much about how clothes have been banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Poor dead one. Such an angry boy. And such messed up issues with women. Maybe that's part of the reason he pirates software.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,997 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Surely hiding a woman under a sheet objectifies her more than sticking her in a bikini?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Taking vitamin supplements and feeling a bit off-color? There could be a reason:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/07/the-vitamin-myth-why-we-think-we-need-supplements/277947/?1

Surely hiding a woman under a sheet objectifies her more than sticking her in a bikini?

I'd say they're about equal, assuming she is forced into wearing them; one objectifies her as something to look at, the other objectifies her as something to control.

I tell you, I'm a lot more likely to put on a bikini than a burka in this weather. I don't know how women in the Middle East manage it.

robindch wrote: »
    Taking vitamin supplements and feeling a bit off-color? There could be a reason:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/07/the-vitamin-myth-why-we-think-we-need-supplements/277947/?1

F*ck, that's unpleasant reading. Taking vitamin supplements makes you more likely to die. And also, poor Pauling, he accomplished so much and then appears to have gone absolutely nuts, and his contributions to chemistry and molecular biology are largely unknown now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Seven months later, his wife was dead of stomach cancer. In 1994, Linus Pauling died of prostate cancer

I'm not sure what age his wife was, but he was 93!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Creator12 wrote: »
    This forum has lost its value and credibility for Past few year. The foram was filled with thoughts and opinions when suddenly few Mods of this foram started becoming personal with users. I was one of them. I became victim of tyranny of Dades. He started editing and deleting my post without any reason. Now the foram seems to be dead. The gulls don't land here any more. Moderators, when couldn't shut eye of reason, became dictators. Blood was spilled. IDs were banned. But in this age of tyranny the courage of one man to stands against all the tyrants and dictators is priceless. Liberty is my religion. Liberty of hands, liberty of thoughts, liberty of IDs.

This post is all the more epic when read in this guy's voice:

art0231.jpg

Liberty...as long as you're not a woman. :rolleyes:

I always imagined dead one was short so he had to stand on a box to look intimidating, so the Tom Hardy thing works on that level too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Isn't it funny when religious types go on about 'liberty' it invariably means religious types having the liberty to take away choices from others.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,374 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ninja900 wrote: »
    Isn't it funny when religious types go on about 'liberty' it invariably means religious types having the liberty to take away choices from others.
    Funnt 'haha', or funny 'weird'....?

• Advertisement

Not 'funny ha ha' :(

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Ah bless I missed him again. hello dead one o/
    Poor man has such issues with women
    Temptresses everywhere wha :pac:
    And all his female work colleagues throwing themselves at him apparently!

Perhaps he's one of those people who thinks not greeting a co-worker with "f*ck off you perv" directly translates as "You're charming the hijab off me, you magnificent stallion".

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

An 11 year-old Yemeni girl whose family attempted to force her into an arranged marriage.

Very upsetting to know this goes on all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

bluewolf wrote: »
    Ah bless I missed him again. hello dead one o/
    Poor man has such issues with women
    Temptresses everywhere wha :pac:
    And all his female work colleagues throwing themselves at him apparently!

Cover your ankles will you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,570 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Beruthiel wrote: »
    An 11 year-old Yemeni girl whose family attempted to force her into an arranged marriage.

Very upsetting to know this goes on all the time.

It is an extraordinary video - raw, passionate, articulate. To see an 11 year old talk about suicide (and the rest) is frightening. I know it's gotten a lot of coverage/views, but compared to the arrival of a certain baby it's gotten feck all.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

It is an extraordinary video - raw, passionate, articulate. To see an 11 year old talk about suicide (and the rest) is frightening. I know it's gotten a lot of coverage/views, but compared to the arrival of a certain baby it's gotten feck all.

It's terribly upsetting.
    At 11 years of age your biggest concern should be doing your homework and playing with your toys.
    Arranged marriages, aunt dead by suicide due to same, thoughts of killing herself because of what her mother was pushing her to do should not even be conceivable to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,422 ✭✭✭✭Penn

o-SAUDI-ARABIA-WOMENS-CONFERENCE-570.jpg?6
    Saudi Arabian Women's Conference

Story

Is this a game of "Spot the dead_one"? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

I think the problem lay with the literal interpretation of the events tag line.

"You've gotta take some balls to show up to this Conference...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Is this a game of "Spot the dead_one"? :pac:

Where's Wally? (now with institutionalised misogyny)

A study published in April shows a positive correlation between belief in an angry god and a range of psychiatric illnesses:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/04/17/study-belief-in-an-angry-god-associated-with-variety-of-mental-illnesses/

Penn wrote: »
    o-SAUDI-ARABIA-WOMENS-CONFERENCE-570.jpg?6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

endacl wrote: »

Nah, no woman would be seen dead with feet as badly pedicured as in that photo.

Nah, no woman would be seen dead with feet as badly pedicured as in that photo.
    Not even dedicated method actors?

• Advertisement

Not even dedicated method actors?

Asking a woman not to have well cared for feet would be like asking the pope to stop being homophobic. Not gonna happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Saudi activist and blogger Raif Badawi was sentenced on Monday to seven years in prison and 600 lashes for insulting Islam.
    Charges of apostasy, which could have led to a death sentence, were dropped.

Another Saudi blogger, Hamza Kashgari, was deported back to his country in February 2012 from Malaysia. He is now being held in jail over blasphemy charges because of Twitter comments he made that were deemed insulting to the Prophet Mohammed.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/middle-east/saudi-arabia/130731/saudi-activist-raif-badawi-sentenced-7-years-600-lashes

Reminds me of this...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/feb/02/mali-jihadis-sharia-black-africans

Any religion can go bad with horrible consequences, but when Islam does, primitive zealotry scrapes new depths. Whatever happened to 'let there be no compulsion in religion'?

Letter in today's IT:
    Sir, – Eric Conway (August 1st) misses the significance of the words of Pope Francis on homosexuality. While it is true they do not represent a change in teaching, the completely different and new pastoral tone is very significant to gay Catholics everywhere. At long last gay Catholics do not need to hide at the back of our churches at Mass, just as once black Catholics did in the United Stares. Thank you, Francis! – Yours, etc,

Rev DONAL GODFREY, S J,

The University of

San Francisco Jesuit

Community,

Turk Blvd,

San Francisco,

California, US.

Woo! Teh Gheys need no longer hide at the back of the metaphorical bus as it were!
    This is real progress :rolleyes:

And yeah it does say 'United Stares' :confused:

Whatever happened to 'let there be no compulsion in religion'?
    Context, endacl, context.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/babies-given-away-live-on-air-in-pakistani-talk-show-1.1482056

Hussain is one of Pakistan’s most popular talk show hosts. During his marathon broadcasts, he cooks, interviews clerics and celebrities, entertains children and hosts game shows. He usually gives prizes such as motorbikes, mobile phones and land deeds to audience members who answer questions about Islam. However, at the beginning of the holy Muslim month of Ramadan, when television stations battle fiercely for ratings, Hussain astonished Pakistan when he presented two families with babies.

:eek:
    In 2008, Hussain hosted scholars who called for the deaths of Ahmadis, a persecuted religious sect in Pakistan. Within a day, two prominent Ahmadis had been shot dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,422 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Letter in today's IT:

Woo! Teh Gheys need no longer hide at the back of the metaphorical bus as it were!
    This is real progress :rolleyes:

And yeah it does say 'United Stares' :confused:

They can sit up the front at Mass now, but they'll still be told they're sinners and are going to go to Hell for engaging in homosexual activity

"If you stick a knife in my back nine inches and pull it out six inches, there's no progress." - Malcolm X

Context, endacl, context.

The context is the feckin' Koran!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Any chance of a screenie? I don't venture onto failface. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

It's basically this image: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/q71/1011143_257464737711519_1380083326_n.jpg

With a whole bunch of yanks going "omg so true, the founding fathers were so right".

I pointed out to them:
    Religion has no place in politics, and that was the opinion of the founding fathers. This quote is a complete fabrication - it is bull**** and you are all ****ing idiots for believing it.

See here, you uneducated buffoons: http://books.google.com/books?id=rhgOAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA209#v=onepage&q&f=true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

[-0-] wrote: »
    It's basically this image: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/q71/1011143_257464737711519_1380083326_n.jpg

With a whole bunch of yanks going "omg so true, the founding fathers were so right".

I pointed out to them:
    Sounds like they're ripe for trapping with Hitler quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Letter in today's IT:
    While it is true they do not represent a change in teaching, the completely different and new pastoral tone is very significant to gay Catholics everywhere...
    Look at it from their point of view (the Vatican's) They have been promoting this bull$hit doctrine for hundreds of years, and during this time most people supported it. Now people have turned against it. They are in the same position as they were when most people turned against slavery, but the church had previously been using the bible to justify it. They can't just do a u-turn, because they claim to represent unchanging truth and infallibility.
    So they adopt a "new pastoral tone" without any actual change in "the teaching".
    Gradually and sneakily, the old teaching will be disregarded in this new context. The rate of change in the papal tone will, coincidentally, mirror the rate of change in public opinion on the subject of the dreaded ghey (while lagging behind by a couple of decades)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

recedite wrote: »
    Look at it from their point of view (the Vatican's) They have been promoting this bull$hit doctrine for hundreds of years, and during this time most people supported it. Now people have turned against it. They are in the same position as they were when most people turned against slavery, but the church had previously been using the bible to justify it. They can't just do a u-turn, because they claim to represent unchanging truth and infallibility.
    So they adopt a "new pastoral tone" without any actual change in "the teaching".
    Gradually and sneakily, the old teaching will be disregarded in this new context. The rate of change in the papal tone will, coincidentally, mirror the rate of change in public opinion on the subject of the dreaded ghey (while lagging behind by a couple of decades)

And in 100 years time they'll deny they were ever homophobic and pretend they were the one's behind the civil rights movement.

Gbear wrote: »
    And in 100 years time they'll deny they were ever homophobic and pretend they were the one's behind the civil rights movement.

Most loudly when people point out their past (and current hidden) homophobia, and opposition to civil rights.

They'll probably lionise the Latin American liberation theologists, conveniently forgetting that they fed them en masse to the juntas ruling there at that time.

• Advertisement

Pro-Pussy Riot priest murdered in Russia

Apparently, the priest also objected to the close ties between the orthodox church and the Russian state. A man who is possibly disturbed has been detained.

http://www.thejournal.ie/pussy-riot-priest-murdered-1024019-Aug2013/
    TheJournal wrote:
    A MAN STABBED to death a Russian priest who was deeply critical of Orthodox Church leadership and had supported the activist punk rock group Pussy Riot, police said today. Pavel Adelgeim, 75, was found dead late Monday in the northwestern Pskov region with multiple stab wounds, regional police told AFP.

A man, born in 1986, was arrested on suspicion of murdering the priest but inflicted stab wounds upon himself when he was detained. He has now been hospitalised and investigators are waiting to interrogate him. According to initial information, the young man was acquainted with the priest and may have even been staying with him as a guest at the time of the murder. The motive is unclear.

Adelgeim, a former religious dissident who had been imprisoned under Soviet rule, had in recent years in blogs and newspaper articles been hugely critical of the powerful leadership of the Russian Orthodox Church. For a religious figure he had been unusually vocal in his support for Pussy Riot, two of whose members are serving two year prison camp terms for an illegal performance in a Moscow church.

Pussy Riot’s February, 2012 performance in the Church of Christ the Saviour in Moscow denounced the links between the Russian Orthodox Church and President Vladimir Putin. In 2012, Adelgeim joined hundreds of other prominent Russians in signing a letter urging Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill to show mercy towards the imprisoned Pussy Riot members.

“The women have unmasked the lie of the Russian Orthodox Church and its unnatural bond with the Russian Federation,” he wrote in a recent blog entry.

In a surprise move, religious people disagree with scientists. This time over the moon.

http://rt.com/news/muslims-observatory-lunar-month-110/
    Muslim scholars in the Caucasus are locked in a heated dispute with scientists at Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi Observatory – over the lunar cycle. They say an opinion of the faithful wasn’t taken into account when “setting the date” for the next new moon.

The furor erupted after Khydyr Mikhailov, deputy director of the observatory, announced that the new moon would appear during the night of August 6-7 at 2:52am, Azerbaijan’s APA News reported.

According to the Muslim religious calendar, the new moon’s appearance will mark the end of the holy month of Ramadan.

The announcement provoked a storm of criticism, with some Muslim clergy arguing that the observatory data could only be approximate.

"It is known to Allah alone,” said Haji Fuad Nurullah, deputy chairman of the Caucasus Muslims Office.

“If Allah does not renew the moon, how can people know about it in advance? How can they guess? Like the observatory, they can perform calculations using mathematical calculations, and this is only possible together with us," Nurullah said.

The Baku-based Caucasus Muslims Office, the supreme spiritual and administrative body of Muslims in the Caucasus, earlier presented its own calendar, according to which the last day of the month of Ramadan falls on August 8. Ramadan is the month of fasting when devout Muslims forego eating and drinking during daylight hours and spend their time in prayer.

According to the Islamic, or Hijri, lunar calendar, months last 29 or 30 days. A new month begins when the new moon’s crescent becomes visible in the sky. In some Muslim countries, the Hijri calendar is officially recognized.

In Azerbaijan, the majority of the population is Muslim, but the country’s Constitution stipulates that the state is secular.

Ah, for the love of Mike..... We've been predicting the phases of the moon, as a species, since long before the Abrahamic religions were a twinkle in some bastard's eye, now it's a matter of religious fecking opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

We've had over 50 billion new moons and this guy still thinks Allah renews it?

The mind boggles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

In a surprise move, religious people disagree with scientists. This time over the moon.

http://rt.com/news/muslims-observatory-lunar-month-110/
    "It is known to Allah alone,” said Haji Fuad Nurullah, deputy chairman of the
    Caucasus Muslims Office.

“If Allah does not renew the moon, how can
    people know about it in advance? How can they guess? Like the observatory, they can perform calculations using mathematical calculations, and this is only possible together with us," Nurullah said.

....the root of the problem there, and its not theology.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement