Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hazards of Belief

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    It's not their fault you know.

Nature made man to be inflamed with desire by the female so babies can be begatted. Man cannot help himself - this is why the female must be upholstered with swathes of heavy duty material so that man can focus on other tasks.

I was once told this by a Mullah ( he phrased it differently but that was the gist of it). I thought he was joking...when I realised he was deadly serious I showed him my office door and put his grant application for funding to teach small children (male and female) at so far to the bottom of my to-do pile it may have technically been in China.

[pedant] Actually the antipode of Cork is somewhere North by North-East (roughly) of Campbell Island, South of New Zealand (proof, just find Cork on Map 1)[/pedant]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

[pedant] Actually the antipode of Cork is somewhere North by North-East (roughly) of Campbell Island, South of New Zealand (proof, just find Cork on Map 1)[/pedant]

[smartarse] My to-do pile was not true vertical but tilted slightly toword diagonal at such an angle that if one were to project a line downwards through the Earth's core and out the other side the line would emerge in Xia He [/smartarse]

[smartarse] My to-do pile was not true vertical but tilted slightly toword diagonal at such an angle that if one were to project a line downwards through the Earth's core and out the other side the line would emerge in Xia He [/smartarse]
    If it wasn't vertical it wouldn't go through the Earth's core.

If it wasn't vertical it wouldn't go through the Earth's core.

shhhhhh!!! :mad:

:D

shhhhhh!!! :mad:

:D

I'm waiting for someone to point out the whole thing about the Earth not being spherical. Still, I doubt it's so un-round to make your scenario possible. :pac:

I'm waiting for someone to point out the whole thing about the Earth not being spherical. Still, I doubt it's so un-round to make your scenario possible. :pac:

You didn't see my to-do pile. It defied several physical laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Republican Represents God, Not His Constituents.
    Arkansas State Senator Jason Rapert: "I don't care about the votes of the 83,000 constituents, there's only ONE vote that counts, and that's the vote of god." /applause from crowd of constituents

It's like jesus used to say: "You don't need to have a lobotomy to believe in me, but it helps."

Another Set of Faith-Healing Parents Arrested After Allowing Their Daughter to Die of a Treatable Disease.

In 2012, Greg and JaLea Swezey were sentenced to five years of probation after they allowed their 17 year-old son Zachery to die of appendicitis… even though it was completely preventable:

The Swezeys were not practitioners of Christian Science, but they were members of the Church of the First Born, a church that also endorses “faith-healing.” Why see a doctor when God will cure all?! (Except when He doesn’t.)

Now, it’s happened again — to another family from the same church.
    Travis and Wenona Rossiter were arrested yesterday on charges of manslaughter because they allowed their 12-year-old daughter Syble to die of Type I diabetes this past February and a months-long investigation revealed that the parents withheld “necessary and adequate” medical attention from her:

The Rossiters have two other children who are, I assume, fortunate that they never suffered a critical-yet-preventable disease.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Russian orthodox activists launch a website to counter the kind of "atheist extremism" promoted by "foreign-sponsored organizations".

Hadn't heard of that Program 200 either, but it's hardly surprising.

http://rt.com/politics/atheist-extremism-russia-fight-789/
    RT wrote:
    A group of activists connected with the Russian Orthodox Church are setting up a center against atheist extremism which, according to them, is promoted mainly by foreign-sponsored organizations. The decision was announced this week at a meeting between city residents and deputies of a district council that was held near the pilgrimage center of the Moscow Patriarchate, in south-west Moscow.

“The atheist extremism is currently rearing its head. It is sponsored by various funds and NGOs with roots outside Russian borders,” reads the first statement released by the new movement. The group claims that their enemies are opposing citizens’ lawful right for freedom of thought, conscience and religion, guaranteed by the Constitution.

In particular, the activists listed incidents when certain people protested against the construction of new churches, “creating an artificial psychosis and pumping up hysteria by intimidating the public”, quoting non-existent laws and declaring all public discussions unlawful. The statement emphasized the fact that atheist extremists were often acting on behalf of local residents by creating grassroots groups, but the real masterminds preferred to remain in the dark.

The Moscow City authorities together with the Russian Orthodox Church are currently implementing the so called “Program-200” – a plan according to which 200 Orthodox churches must be erected throughout the capital in the next 10 to 15 years. Russian mass media estimated the overall budget of the program at about $1 billion and financing comes from a non-government fund. The authors of the program claimed that after it is implemented there will be a church for every 20,000 residents located 1 kilometer or less from residential areas.

The program is popular among the religious lobby but it has already met resistance. The Communists and the veteran pro-democracy party, Yabloko, officially voiced protests against new churches and ordinary citizens also often claimed that such a large scale of construction was unnecessary.

In addition, the Program-200 is being carried out in times of especially sharp discourse between religious and agnostic parts of the Russian society. It first started in mass media but became much more real after several girls who called themselves feminist punk band Pussy Riot launched a short gig against the merger between the church and the state in Moscow’s main Cathedral of Christ the Savior.

The punks were put on trial and sentenced to two years each for aggravated hooliganism. After the incident Russian legislators passed a law on protection of believers’ feelings – making any public insult of an official religion a criminal offence punishable with up to three years behind bars.

The Pussy Riot trial and the fresh law prompted an even broader wave of protests across the country – sometimes taking radical forms, such as the felling of memorial crosses in several villages. More often, however, journalists and bloggers gave critical appraisal to the lush lives of church hierarchs and even ordinary clerics, like the case of Hegumen Timofey – a dean of one of Moscow churches who gained notoriety in mid-2012 by causing a major car crash while driving drunk in a BMW Z4 with diplomatic license plates.

In September 2012 the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill said in a public speech that Christianity was under a concerted attack from forces who opposed the national revival of Russians, noting that the alleged merger between the church and the authorities was a deliberately created myth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Fcuk the Taliban.
    Sushmita Banerjee, the writer of a popular book about her dramatic escape from the Taliban in the 1990s, was shot dead on Wednesday night, police announced on Thursday.
    Police on Thursday said that the book may have been the reason she was targeted, saying they had spoken with her husband.
    "Our investigation [...] indicates that the militants had grievances against her for something she had written or told in the past, which was then turned into a film," the provincial police chief said.
    "She had been shot 20 times and some of her hair had been ripped off by the militants," Zadran said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »

It's horrible but to Captain Hindsight things in admittedly indecent fashion, given the circumstances, if you want to speak out about civil rights and not get murdered then don't live in very Muslim countries.

Can You Believe In Global Warming AND God? (Rush Limbaugh)

Obviously, pumping millions of tonnes of CO2 and methane (which iirc is a lot worse), can't possibly affect the Earth's natural system. There's no way that god would let it happen? Sure, he doesn't even let war, famine, plagues, rape, paedophilia and X Factor happen.

God: "I got this one covered, carry on."

Gbear wrote: »
    It's horrible but to Captain Hindsight things in admittedly indecent fashion, given the circumstances, if you want to speak out about civil rights and not get murdered then don't live in very Muslim countries.
    I know you mean well, but nothing will ever change if everyone has that attitude. I'm sure she knew the risks in going back but she went anyway to try to do some good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,588 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If you want to speak out about Nazi atrocities, don't live in Nazi Germany.

There is a strange logic to it all right.

It's a repugnant thing to have to say but nobody ever made a good livin' out of being a martyr.

Speak out by all means but it's easier (although perhaps less effective) to speak out from a place of safety.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Thinking about the theocracies and quasi theocracies throughout the Middle East and to a lesser extent, Africa, is really depressing.

It's very hard to see how things are going to un**** themselves in those places but it seems pretty clear that there's going to be an awful lot more senseless deaths before they do.:(

• Advertisement

A new documentary claims that televangelist Pat Robertson has been less than fully honest about his activities in Africa:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/sep/05/mission-congo-pat-robertson-aid-rwanda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

F*ck me sideways, what a scumbag.

robindch wrote: »
    A new documentary claims that televangelist Pat Robertson has been less than fully honest about his activities in Africa:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/sep/05/mission-congo-pat-robertson-aid-rwanda
    Wow, it's so much more complex than him simply being corrupt. It's staggering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

How can they decline to prosecute him if he has clearly been gaining money under false pretences?

He fixshed the road?

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »

That's actually pretty old news, Greg Palast for example, reporting about it since at least 1999. It's just that the major news outlets, especially in America wouldn't touch him until very recently (and only because he's exposed himself too much to hit them back).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

It's like jesus used to say: "You don't need to have a lobotomy to believe in me, but it helps."
    :D The Bible according to Brand :D
    Well, I suppose its as valid as any other version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

But, but it's a religion of peace...! Why can one not speak out and remain in the country?

MrP

Lots of sick people to hear about Syria in France:

http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-lourdes-pilgrimage-1073724-Sep2013/
    TheJournal wrote:
    ABOUT 2,000 PEOPLE, including patients, doctors, nurses, volunteers and secondary school students, departed Dublin Airport this morning, ready to take part in the annual Lourdes pilgrimage. Seven planes took off as part of the country’s largest pilgrimage despite fears over recent flooding in the French region.

The Archodiocese of Dublin said it was taking 140 secondary schools students from 23 schools, as well as their teachers, on this trip – but huge demand meant not everyone on the waiting list was facilitated. Prayers are to be offered up in both Dublin and Lourdes today for a peaceful resolution to the ongoing conflict in Syria.

“Lourdes is such a peaceful, prayerful shrine,” said director Fr Martin Noone. “Our prayers, on the Vigil of her birth, will be to Our Lady Queen of Peace as we fervently hope that dialogue, peace and reconciliation will triumph in Syria over scenes of desperation and destruction.” Archbishop Diarmuid Martin will lead prayers for peace in Syria at St Bernadette’s Church in Lourdes, while at the same time, an evening service will be held at St Mary’s Pro Cathedral in Dublin with Bishop Eamonn Walsh.

Well that's Syria sorted. Hooray!

• Moderators Posts: 51,866 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

"Class we're going to do what we can for the people of Syria. The school has organised a school trip to Disneyland!" :rolleyes:

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »
    "Class we're going to do what we can for the people of Syria. The school has organised a sponsored school trip to Disneyland! Get knocking on the neighbours doors tonight and don't forget to tell them it is for the babbies in Syria" :rolleyes:

FYP. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭swampgas

koth wrote: »
    "Class we're going to do what we can for the people of Syria. [...]

Surely most of these Syrians are not Christian and therefore going to burn in hell for all eternity? Or has the Catholic church changed its mind while I wasn't looking?

swampgas wrote: »
    Surely most of these Syrians are not Christian and therefore going to burn in hell for all eternity? Or has the Catholic church changed its mind while I wasn't looking?

"But Johnny, the reason why they are suffering now is that they are filthy heathens. By going to Lourdes and praying for them, Jebus will convert them, and by the act of conversion the bad things will stop happening, and Syria will turn into a land of milk and honey, like good old Ireland used to be before the gov'mint started killing all dem baybeeeeees!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I thought the catholic god smote Lourdes with a flood? Are catholic people not barred from there now that its been smote?

• Advertisement

A rainbow was seen there recently, and that's God's signal that he is back in a good mood again, so its OK for them to return there now.

It was probably a hoax by the homosexual agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Links234 wrote: »

This is one of those news stories that makes me want to question my stance against the death penalty.

Hard to see how the world could benefit from this monster being alive in it.

Religious publications enter choppy financial waters. Jesus will accept checks, I'm sure:

http://www.religionnews.com/2013/09/06/as-publications-struggle-christian-literary-magazine-books-culture-could-shut-down/

It always irked me no end that I could walk about Cork, seeing the odd pub in danger of shutting down when they did almighty work promoting new bands, giving struggling musicians a venue and a chance, hosting art exhibitions, and generally providing community services as well as serving alcohol and food, and then turn down an alleyway and see some place filled with religious tat (and recently those despicable Alive-O schoolbooks) ticking over without an apparent care in the world.

And a rerun of an old story -- teenage pregnancy rates are higher where abstinence-only programs are in place:

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/09/07/us-teen-pregnancy-rate-drops-due-to-contraception-access-remains-high-in-abstinence-only-red-states

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I think Michelle Bachmann is trying to prove that you can survive with anencephaly. Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,588 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

She's living proof.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

At first I was thinking, why go to some derelict ex-mining town in Ukraine if you want to make money with this bollox?
    But when you think about it, if the three Buffys went to a rich and prosperous country, like Norway for example, they would be laughed out of it.

Many of those unfortunate Ukrainians have obviously suffered from deprivation, boredom, domestic violence, poor education, and all with little or no social welfare. These horrible exploitative people are offering them a religious straw to clutch at. And as one of the girls in the video said, "they are drinking it up". The performance is all smoke, mirrors and bling, but when the Americans go home, the local pastor who flew them over will be cashing in, slowly but surely, over the longer term .

recedite wrote: »
    At first I was thinking, why go to some derelict ex-mining town in Ukraine if you want to make money with this bollox?
    But when you think about it, if the three Buffys went to a rich and prosperous country, like Norway for example, they would be laughed out of it.

Many of those unfortunate Ukrainians have obviously suffered from deprivation, boredom, domestic violence, poor education, and all with little or no social welfare. These horrible exploitative people are offering them a religious straw to clutch at. And as one of the girls in the video said, "they are drinking it up". The performance is all smoke, mirrors and bling, but when the Americans go home, the local pastor who flew them over will be cashing in, slowly but surely, over the longer term .
    Exactly. Here's a Vice documentary about them.

They target these crowds full of desperate drug addicts and sexual abuse victims who have never been able to get help in dealing with what happened to them. They're worked up into a frenzy, reliving hugely traumatic events and then "poof", they're cured by the wonderful exorcist. They'll feel a high for a few days but it's no cure, but by the time they realise that the exorcists have moved on to the next town.

If you watch the full documentary, at the last place they go to, they encounter their first member of the audience who you could actually argue to be insane. Lots previous to her would be like "oh, there's a demon within me" but this poor woman seemed like she was suffering some kind of psychotic break, she was convinced she was a vessel for the devil.

You think this would be the perfect chance for the Reverend to help someone, right?

Nope, he has her (literally) thrown out of the room.
    He's a show-boating asshole and he's taking down three innocent girls with him, who think they're saving the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/10/mother-murder-adopted-daughter-freeze

Crazy Christians in US allow child freeze to death. They claim they were following a Christian book To Train Up a Child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

This book is available on Amazon. I've sent a complaint but it is seriously worrying that this stuff is available. It should be treated in the same way as other child-exploitative material.

Please send complaints to any outlets that sell the book.
    Regards Banbh

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

http://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywillingham/2013/09/10/another-measles-outbreak-in-a-religious-community/

The Anti-vaccination lobby gets my blood up.

I seriously wonder if it could or should be considered a form of child abuse.

• Advertisement

Banbh wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/10/mother-murder-adopted-daughter-freeze

Crazy Christians in US allow child freeze to death. They claim they were following a Christian book To Train Up a Child.

Did i seriously just read that "religion had been deemed not relevant to the criminal case."

How the hell did they come to that conclusion.. "Listen guys, God's got a pretty solid alibi for this one, witnesses say that he was helping a lady find a parking spot in Sacramento"

Did i seriously just read that "religion had been deemed not relevant to the criminal case."

How the hell did they come to that conclusion.. "Listen guys, God's got a pretty solid alibi for this one, witnesses say that he was helping a lady find a parking spot in Sacramento"

Could that have been a good thing if it wasn't involved... so that she could just plain be charged with manslaughter/murder and no chance of it being waived under some wishy washy "acting under religion" or something

Shown a photo of her children, she accused prosecutors of having "ripped apart" her family. "I did the best I could with what I knew," she said.
    Yeah, what a tragedy for you.

Not the one child you murdered and the other one you didn't succeed in killing.

Banbh, I clicked through to the book ready to accept that maybe these parents had completely misinterpreted it or something but holy fcuk.
    According to people who have read the whole thing, it advocates beating babies with a switch until they are "totally broken".
    A seven-month-old boy had, upon failing to get his way, stiffened clenched his fists, bared his toothless gums and called down damnation on the whole place. At a time like that, the angry expression on a baby's face can resemble that of one instigating a riot. The young mother, wanting to do the right thing, stood there in helpless consternation, apologetically shrugged her shoulders and said, "What can I do?" My incredulous nine-year-old whipped back, "Switch him." The mother responded, "I can't, he's too little." With the wisdom of a veteran who had been on the little end of the switch, my daughter answered, "If he is old enough to pitch a fit, he is old enough to be spanked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

How the hell did they come to that conclusion..
    i assume they meant that the case being taken against the woman would be blind to any religious arguments. i.e. that they would not be usable as a defence.

i assume they meant that the case being taken against the woman would be blind to any religious arguments. i.e. that they would not be usable as a defence.

I wonder if religion was taken into account if the book publishers or other members of the sect she was a member of would be somehow liable.

To me it seems a bit of a let off and misses the bigger picture. She did something horrible probably from a combination of being a horrible person as well as being given legitimacy by her religion.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement