Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hazards of Belief

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Its worse than incitement, its actual threats of physical violence. But you would have a job trying to track down the author. Any idiot can print hate literature. Paper never refuses ink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

recedite wrote: »
    Its worse than incitement, its actual threats of physical violence. But you would have a job trying to track down the author. Any idiot can print hate literature. Paper never refuses ink.

Judging from the appalling grammar and near total historical cluelessness, they probably typed and printed the lot in a net cafe that has them on camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

koth wrote: »
    Looks like some Irish Christians are promising to attack any Muslim man, woman or child that attempts to enter a mosque. Leaflet was sent to some mosques and Muslims in Dublin.

....a pathetic effort, but thankfully we've had very very little of that sort of nonsense. Doubtless it will stop when mammy won't buy them any more printer ink.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Anyone willing to bet that these morons are also in Jugendschutz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'd honestly be surprised if there wasn't some overlap. Youth Defence are the main players in Ireland when it comes to political violent idiocy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Why did they pluralize country? o.O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,591 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sarky wrote: »
    Youth Defence are the main players in Ireland when it comes to political violent idiocy.

Only if you exclude the so-called 'republicans'.

But there's probably plenty of overlap.

Scrap the cap!

recedite wrote: »
    Printers each put unique identifiers on everything they print, wouldn't that hard to track the authors down if the cops were bothered.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Having solved all of its problems, Afghanistan considers reintroducing stoning for adulters:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/25/afghanistan-reintroduction-public-stoning-adulterers
    Afghan government officials have proposed reintroducing public stoning as a punishment for adultery, Human Rights Watch said, even though the practice has been denounced both inside and outside the country as one of the most repugnant symbols of the Taliban regime.

The sentence for married adulterers, along with flogging for unmarried offenders, appears in a draft revision of the country's penal code being managed by the ministry of justice. There are several references to stoning in a translated section of the draft seen by the Guardian, including detailed notes on judicial requirements for handing down the sentence.

"Men and women who commit adultery shall be punished based on the circumstances to one of the following punishments: lashing, stoning [to death]," article 21 states. The draft goes on to specify that the stoning should be public, in article 23. News that the government is contemplating bringing back a much-reviled punishment is unlikely to go down well with the western governments that back Kabul.

"It is absolutely shocking that 12 years after the fall of the Taliban government, the Karzai administration might bring back stoning as a punishment," said Brad Adams, Asia director at Human Rights Watch. "President Karzai needs to demonstrate at least a basic commitment to human rights and reject this proposal out of hand."

The penalty violates international human rights standards that ban torture and cruel and inhuman punishment, the rights group said in statement. When a video surfaced a year ago of a 21-year-old woman being stoned to death in an insurgent-controlled village just a few dozen miles from Kabul, it was strongly condemned by government officials as well as rights groups and diplomats.

• Moderators Posts: 51,866 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Party conference: Teach creationism in science class - 40% of DUP
    The survey, carried out at the DUP's annual conference, shows a party where the religious right still exercises more influence than in the general population, but where opinion may be broadening.

We surveyed 50 party members, out of just under 300, at the first day of conference at La Mon Hotel on the outskirts of Belfast.

Creationism is the belief that the world, animals and plants were created "by a supernatural being less than 10,000 years ago".

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Now we know how J C . . . can get a job . . . to afford . . . a computer ! ! ! :)

I don't know if this is a hazard or funny but there is a post on my FB about "this one person said haha god i dont believe in you once and then they DIED and then this other person said lol there is no god and they DIED HORRIBLY AND ALONE" and the number of people thanking, posting "amen", and "jesus is love" is rather disturbing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't know if this is a hazard or funny but there is a post on my FB about "this one person said haha god i dont believe in you once and then they DIED and then this other person said lol there is no god and they DIED HORRIBLY AND ALONE" and the number of people thanking, posting "amen", and "jesus is love" is rather disturbing

The spelling in this is actually pretty good. Pity about the punctuation. I'd say that the spelling alone puts this in the higher echelons of quality facebook comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

D'ya know, my grandmother believed in god and she DIED HORRIBLY. So, um... Everyone dies is what I'm saying, I guess...

Okay on a computer now so here it actually is:

A man of 32 years, was smoking, while smoking his cigarette, he puffed out some smoke into the air and said:'God, that's for you.'
    He died at the age of 32 of LUNG CANCER in a horrible manner.
    The man who built the Titanic
    After the construction of Titanic, a reporter asked him how safe the Titanic would be.
    With an ironic tone he said: 'Not even God can sink it'
    The result: I think you all know what happened to the Titanic
    Marilyn Monroe (Actress)
    She was visited by Billy Graham during a presentation of a show.
    He said the Spirit of God had sent him to preach to her.
    After hearing what the Preacher had to say, she said:
    'I don't need your Jesus'.
    A week later, she was found dead in her apartment
    Bon Scott (Singer)
    The ex-vocalist of the AC/DC. On one of his 1979 songs he sang:
    'Don't stop me; I'm going down all the way, down the highway to hell'.
    On the 19th of February 1980, Bon Scott was found dead, he had been choked by his own vomit.
    Campinas (IN 2005)
    In Campinas , Brazil a group of friends, drunk, went to pick up a friend.....
    The mother accompanied her to the car and was so worried about the drunkenness of her friends and she said to the daughter holding her hand, who was already seated in the car:
    'My Daughter, Go With God And May He Protect You.'
    She responded: 'Only If He (God) Travels In The Trunk, Cause Inside Here.....It's Already Full '
    Hours later, news came by that they had been involved in a fatal accident, everyone had died, the car could not be recognized what type of car it had been, but surprisingly, the trunk was intact.
    The police said there was no way the trunk could have remained intact. To their surprise, inside the trunk was a crate of eggs, none was broken Christine Hewitt (Jamaican Journalist & entertainer) said the Bible (Word of God) was the worst book ever written.
    In June 2006 she was found burnt beyond recognition in her motor vehicle.
    Many more important people have forgotten that there is no other name that was given so much authority as the name of Jesus.
    Many have died, but only Jesus died and rise again, and he is still alive....
    'Jesus'
    I have done my part by sharing this with you, Jesus said 'If you are embarrassed about me,
    I will also be embarrassed about you before my father.'
    You are my 8 in 8 seconds. I am not breaking this.. No way!
    I'M TOLD THIS WORKS!!!!! Bishop T..D. Jakes '8 Second Prayer.' Just repeat this prayer and see how God moves!!

'Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen.'
    Pass this message round by a simple like and type "Amen"
    You will receive a miracle tomorrow. I Hope that you don't ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

The trunk was intact! Hahaha.

It does make God sound like a bit of a psychopath...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Final Destination, by God!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Okay on a computer now so here it actually is:

WOW - such a humbling display of love, humility, empathy and compassion...sign me up Jeeebus!

*lights cigarette and puffs for Jeebus*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    puffs for Jeebus
    New gay christian organization? PFJ?

People's Front of Judaea are not going to be happy about that...

• Advertisement

You will receive a miracle tomorrow.

Is there a money-back guarantee on that?

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    Is there a money-back guarantee on that?
    I think like most religious promises, only the dead can claim.

French journalist is prosecuted under 19th century press law for questioning Islam during a radio debate

http://churchandstate.org.uk/2013/10/french-journalist-is-prosecuted-under-19th-century-press-law-for-questioning-islam-during-a-radio-debate/

The article is silent on what the journalist actually said, so I'm a bit suspicious about it, but on face value, it seems a draconian response.

• Moderators Posts: 51,866 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

robindch wrote: »
    French journalist is prosecuted under 19th century press law for questioning Islam during a radio debate

http://churchandstate.org.uk/2013/10/french-journalist-is-prosecuted-under-19th-century-press-law-for-questioning-islam-during-a-radio-debate/

The article is silent on what the journalist actually said, so I'm a bit suspicious about it, but on face value, it seems a draconian response.
    Almost all articles link to the Daily Mail as their source. Can't, as yet, find any mention as to what he said on the radio show.

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »
    Almost all articles link to the Daily Mail as their source. Can't, as yet, find any mention as to what he said on the radio show.

Wasn't too hard to find the other side's story. Islamophobia watch sites are usually lightning quick with these. :)
    The CCF took action against Rioufol not because he “questioned Islam” but because he slandered the CCIF, accusing them of representing “radical” and “fundamentalist” Islam and claiming that their “Nous sommes la nation” campaign was an “Islamist off

Obvious biased source though. Anyone found a link to the radio interview yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Jernal wrote: »
    Wasn't too hard to find the other side's story. Islamophobia watch sites are usually lightning quick with these. :)

Islamist off....:confused:

Off-side?
    Off-Licence?
    Offler???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

http://www.missionislam.com/knowledge/notpray.html

In an Islamic State, a Muslim who does not pray is to be jailed, then if he does not repent and start praying within 3 days, he/she is to be executed. Also "There is no difference of opinion in this"

Jernal wrote: »

Obvious biased source though. Anyone found a link to the radio interview yet?

Poster the remarks were about.
    Nous-sommes-la-nation-2.jpg

Wonder if the 'Aussi' (also) was added in after the radio debacle or whether it was always there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I guess this is a hazard,
    Kick a gay couple out of your b&b and not only will you have to pay damages but you'll have to pay legal fee's for your appeal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25119158
    The owners of a Christian guesthouse who were ordered to pay damages for turning away a gay couple have lost their UK Supreme Court fight.

[-0-] wrote: »
    http://www.missionislam.com/knowledge/notpray.html

In an Islamic State, a Muslim who does not pray is to be jailed, then if he does not repent and start praying within 3 days, he/she is to be executed. Also "There is no difference of opinion in this"

Footage from years back - Al Jazeera. Theres a few journalists staying in an apartment. One guy goes over to the lad on the couch and wakes him up and tells him its time for morning prayers - yer man gives him a look that says "wtf" and "fuck off" simultaneously. The guy who woke him flicks his eyes in the direction of the camera and - as if by Allah - yer man is up and off the couch "of course, yes".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Releigous nut-jobs will have been funding that appeal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Releigous nut-jobs will have been funding that appeal

Yeah, The Christian Institute. Same guys that are behind the various crosses at work and work on Sunday cases.

They could help a lot of poor people with the money they have spent.

MRP

Woman fined $140-a-day by a religious "court" for refusing to allow her son to be circumcised.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/woman-fined-nis-500day-for-failing-to-circumcise-son/
    The Rabbinical Court in Jerusalem rejected an appeal Monday by a Netanya woman fined NIS 500 ($140) per day for refusing to circumcise her son, as is required by Jewish law (halacha).

The penalty was initially levied by a rabbinical court in Netanya earlier this year at the request of the woman’s estranged husband who has demanded that the circumcision take place. The two are reportedly undergoing divorce proceedings, and the court stated that it believes her refusal was part of some ploy to save her marriage.

The woman’s lawyer claimed that the rabbinical court had no authority to order the woman to circumcise her son, who is now a year old. “I’ve been exposed to a lot of material regarding circumcision and I have decided not to circumcise my son,” the woman, who has not been identified, told Channel 2 News Monday evening.

“I have no right to cut his organ and mutilate him. And the court has no right to force me to do so,” she went on, vowing that she would not pay the fine, which has so far reached NIS 2,500. “I don’t have the means; I’m not working,” she said. The woman intends to take the case to the Supreme Court, according to the report.

The court also addressed the current anti-circumcision sentiments around the world — specifically in Europe where some countries have pushed forth a ban on the Jewish (and Muslim) practice — and expressed concerns about the precedent this incident could set should an Israeli Jewish woman be allowed to forgo the custom. In October, an overwhelming majority of Council of Europe assembly members passed a landmark resolution against non-medical circumcision of boys.

The resolution, which states that circumcision is a “violation of the physical integrity of children,” is unprecedented among an organization of the caliber of the council. While the intergovernmental organization is not part of the European Union and cannot pass binding legislation, it is widely influential. In France, the Council of Europe resolution galvanized the Jewish community, which sent a letter to President Francois Hollande urging him to reject the resolution. A petition gained more than 8,000 signatures, among them leading politicians, artists and celebrities.

On October 30, Hollande replied with a letter eschewing the resolution and assuring the community the practice is protected under French law. Also last month, government advisers on child welfare from Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Iceland issued a joint resolution in favor of banning the ritual circumcision of minors.

As the topic of "Freeman on the Land" has come up occasionally in real-life, here's rationalwiki's take on it:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Freeman_on_the_land

The section on "Freeman successes" is worth a look for itself.

This sums up freemen perfectly.
    Freemanargument.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

robindch wrote: »
    As the topic of "Freeman on the Land" has come up occasionally in real-life, here's rationalwiki's take on it:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Freeman_on_the_land

The section on "Freeman successes" is worth a look for itself.

If you look closely at the freeman organisations created recently in Ireland, their sole purpose seems to be as scams set up to furter impoverish already frightened and financially insecure people.

US appoints openly gay ambassador to Dominican Republic, Bigot-spasm ensues....

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/29/dominican-republic-gay-us-ambassador

If you look closely at the freeman organisations created recently in Ireland, their sole purpose seems to be as scams set up to furter impoverish already frightened and financially insecure people.

'Freeman Megamerge' thread goodness here.

Scrap the cap!

Nodin wrote: »
    US appoints openly gay ambassador to Dominican Republic, Bigot-spasm ensues....

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/29/dominican-republic-gay-us-ambassador

They're doing it wrong, it should be to Russia, the Vatican, Iran...

In a veiled plea for tolerance, the ambassador says: "My parents taught me that all people deserve respect, dignity, love and opportunity. They also instilled in me a strong belief in God, and the values of love and tolerance. Bob and I bring those beliefs and values with us as we come to the Dominican Republic. We are both thrilled to be coming back to our second home."

:rolleyes: Because being gay is OK, but not believing in god would just be going too far.

Scrap the cap!

That thread is both detailed, depressing and funny.

They're doing it wrong, it should be to Russia, the Vatican, Iran...

:rolleyes: Because being gay is OK, but not believing in god would just be going too far.

....that's the kind of thing that needs to be released to the concerned parties at a press conference, where the audience is discretely recorded and the service of lip readers engaged.....

• Advertisement

It's gotten too big for me, I dived in a few weeks ago and it spat me out five minutes later battered and bruised.

It's gotten too big for me, I dived in a few weeks ago and it spat me out five minutes later battered and bruised.

I'd have more time for the Raelians.

I came across it by accident a while back, jumped to the last page, thought it looked interesting and subbed to the thread. Lots of posts but it's been on the go more than two years, so it's not that hard keeping up with new posts.

Haven't even tried to read the 1600-post or so backlog, though, entertaining as it probably is.

Ain't nobody got time fo' dat

Scrap the cap!

I came across it by accident a while back, jumped to the last page, thought it looked interesting and subbed to the thread. Lots of posts but it's been on the go more than two years, so it's not that hard keeping up with new posts.

Haven't even tried to read the 1600-post or so backlog, though, entertaining as it probably is.

Ain't nobody got time fo' dat

I tend to look at things from the get go. Usually it is more rewarding as you're getting the whole picture (for instance I started this thread in Jan of this year (warning: Paradoxplaza Victoria 1 narrative gameplay AAR) 5 1/2 years after the first post and it was one of the best reads of my life), but the freeman one was a bit too intricate for me. I may try it again though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Welcome to Kolkata India, cute kids

Bae_Eebo_CAAAb0ci_jpg_large.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

biko wrote: »
    cute kids

I'm sure they are, and I doubt they even understand the signs they're holding

uncaptioned-ur6to-50b7cdc83a88d.jpeg

Pope Frank says "Ideological Christians Have An 'Illness'"

http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/2013/10/17/pope_francis_at_mass_calls_for_greater_openness_/in2-738150
    Pope Frank wrote:
    The faith becomes ideology and ideology frightens, ideology chases away the people, distances, distances the people and distances of the Church of the people. But it is a serious illness, this of ideological Christians. It is an illness, but it is not new, eh? Already the Apostle John, in his first Letter, spoke of this. Christians who lose the faith and prefer the ideologies. His attitude is: be rigid, moralistic, ethical, but without kindness. [...] These do not pray, abandoning the faith and transforming it into moralistic, casuistic ideology, without Jesus. [...] Ah, poor things, they are people dishonoured by their pride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I like it, seems Francis is more and more like Dalai Lama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

biko wrote: »
    Welcome to Kolkata India, cute kids

Bae_Eebo_CAAAb0ci_jpg_large.jpg
    You're thaking those signs out of context.

MrP

• Advertisement

Obamacare up before the Supreme Court again - this time, religious people are claiming that companies which they control have a (newly established) corporate right to "the free exercise of religion". Specifically, they're claiming that any employee health insurance which is funded by a company can, if the company's decision makers wish, conform to any of their religious beliefs.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/26/opinion/wydra-supreme-court-obamacare/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement