Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hazards of Belief

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The second coming?

She doesn't even remember the first one.

Oh.. you mean... Never mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,592 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/government-urged-to-release-secret-adoption-files-1.1665404
    Government urged to release secret adoption files

The Irish Government has been called on to release over 60,000 secret adoption files to assist adult children, now living abroad, in tracing their natural families.

Philomena Lee, whose story was protrayed in the Oscar-nominated film Philomena, will be in Dublin this Friday to launch The Philomena Project. The Project, set up by Ms Lee and her daughter, is working with the Adoption Rights Alliance to call on the Irish State to grant access to adoption records for grown-up children living in Ireland and the US.

The alliance claims the HSE, private adoption agencies, and church representatives are currently in possession of these adoption files.
    Ms Lee became pregnant when she was 18 years old. She was sent to the Sean Ross Abbey, a Mother and Baby Home in Roscrea, Tipperary, where she gave birth to her son in July 1952. When her son was three-years-old he was taken from her, sold for adoption, and sent to the US. After she left the convent, Ms Lee’s father refused to take her back and she ended up moving to the UK.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭the_eman

I recommend watching all this. It has lots of science which should appeal to you all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS1x-6al2pE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

the_eman wrote: »
    I recommend watching all this. It has lots of science which should appeal to you all.

Um, yeah, scieeeeeeenceee. Yeuchy pseudo science!:(
    Yay! Game of Thrones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Could you not put science in quotes?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mike Huckabee again, ffs.
    Addressing a luncheon of committee-members, staffers, and operatives, Huckabee took aim at Democrats who accuse the GOP of waging a “war on women” with its policies against abortion and government-subsidized birth control.

“Republicans don’t have a war on women,” Huckabee said. We’re having a war for women. To empower them to be something other than victims of their gender.”

“If the Democrats want to insult the women of America by making them believe that they are helpless without Uncle Sugar coming in and providing for them a prescription each month for birth control, because they cannot control their libido or their reproductive system without the help of the government, then so be it,” he continued. “Let us take that discussion all across America, because women are far more than the Democrats have played them to be.”

http://swampland.time.com/2014/01/23/huckabee-gop-waging-war-for-women/#ixzz2rIwF0QFt

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This has lots of truth (it actually happened, just like the bible!), you should enjoy it and it should be of interest to you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J-1pMESTI0

• Moderators Posts: 51,866 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Blasphemous' Bible play cancelled in Belfast
    'The Bible: The Complete Word of God (Abridged)' was due to be staged in the Theatre at the Mill in Newtownabbey on the northern outskirts of Belfast later this month.

In a move dismaying freedom-of-expression campaigners, a Democratic Unionist-led council decided to call it off amid strong opposition from religious conservatives.

Ulster Unionist Mayor of Newtownabbey Borough Council Fraser Agnew said: “As the guardians of all that is right in society we have got to take a stand somewhere and that is what happened in this instance.”

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

^^^ ULSTER SAYS "GO"!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 72DSpecial

Mmmmmmmmmm...... This video starts off by linking faith / religion with morality and the lack of faith / religion with consumerism / immorality.
    This makes me very suspicious of it. Throughout history religion / faith has been the biggest driver of death and destruction and a disdain for our fellow human beings.

Bad people do bad things. Caring for each other has nothing to do with religion. Morality has nothing to do with religion.

Theistic creationism is a force for evil and ignorance in or world. All the major religions (and many of the minor ones) are death cults.

An inability to deal with reality seriously compromises ones mental health.

• Advertisement

A 65-year old UK citizen with a history of mental illness has been condemned to death in Pakistan for the crime of claiming he's a prophet:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25874580

• Registered Users Posts: 27 72DSpecial

Having had a closer look at this documentary with it's 'lots of science', I discovered that it is skewed -

Argument for 'tuning' of the universe = God is rubbish. The fact is that if the universe did not originate the way it did, then we would not exist. Therefore the argument is redundant in the extreme. If we were not here then we could not ponder our existence.

The genetic science quoted and used is out of context and many of the sources and arguments (such as Darwin being wrong about traits being passed on - that Mendel made him incorrect etc..) are outdated and misquoted. Please learn the difference between phenotype and genotype. It is often how and if genes are expressed that makes the difference. Knowing the Greek alphabet does not mean you can speak or understand Greek.

The conclusions drawn from the science are incorrect.

Go back to basics and watch Cosmos. Old but more up to date than this pseudo intellectual preaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Something tells me the_eman was drive-by posting, and has ran back to the Christianity subforum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Summarise please, there is no ducking way I'm going to watch two hours on your imaginary friend, especially when I've much better things to be doing, like scratching my testes.

Summarise please, there is no ducking way I'm going to watch two hours on your imaginary friend, especially when I've much better things to be doing, like scratching my testes.

Waffle Waffle Waffle ergo God.

Two hours could lead to eternal life, I kid you not. Go through it give it a chance and don't slam it into the ground without watching.

I forgot to embed.

Something tells me the_eman was drive-by posting, and has ran back to the Christianity subforum.

Nope I haven't been on boards for ages just thought of you all when I saw this.

You have to admit there are some very strong references, speakers and facts in it.

Jernal wrote: »
    Waffle Waffle Waffle ergo God.

Scrap the cap!

Two hours could lead to eternal life, I kid you not. Go through it give it a chance and don't slam it into the ground without watching.

I'm sorry I don't have time to watch, my balls are too itchy.

Also what evidence do you have for the existence of your imaginary friend and his magical cloud land of happiness and brainwashing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Nope I haven't been on boards for ages just thought of you all when I saw this.

You have to admit there are some very strong references, speakers and facts in it.

I watched the first five minutes and there was absolutely none of that, just random people speaking waffle in an echo chamber. I'm not going to waste more time on that video if it doesn't say anything.

I bet you can't state one interesting thing from that video and support it with the speaker's name, and the facts behind the interesting thing that they discuss. Prove me wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

SW wrote: »
    I can't find the article right now, but not sure if the ban is going to happen. Apparently the theatre company has a contract for the performace, and should the performance be canceled there are certain payments that will need to be paid.

Apparently, once the council was made aware of this, along the lines of "those that support the ban will have to cough up a proportion of the cash" some of the support seemed to disappear... Not sure if there is still support for the ban, but the good news is, even if the ban does go ahead, the theatre company will not be out of pocket (awesome) and some NI bigot will be (even more awesome).

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

1544600_583825811685594_267973274_n.jpg

I'm sure they saw it coming.
    THE firm behind Irish Psychics Live, founded by space buff Tom Higgins has crashed back to earth and gone out of business.
    . . .
    Callers to the premium phone line were charged €2.40 per minute for instant psychic readings and the rates were the subject of calls to 'Liveline' and an on-air spat on RTE between Pat Kenny and Mr Higgins.

LOSS-MAKING

The website for Irish Psychics Live – no longer operating – stated that it was "operated by genuine Celtic psychics, the most psychic race in the world".

Mr Higgins sold Realm Communications Ltd to Gavin Hickey and Maxine Payne in 2009 and the most recent figures show that after his departure as director, the firm quickly became loss-making, recording a pre-tax loss of €315,225 in 2010 after recording a post-tax profit of €1.1m in 2009.

The figures for the 12 months to the end of April 30 2010, show that €805,714 was owed to Revenue.

Efforts to obtain comment from the firm by phone and email were unsuccessful.

Source.

Delighted it's gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Mr Higgins sold Realm Communications Ltd to Gavin Hickey and Maxine Payne in 2009 and the most recent figures show that after his departure as director, the firm quickly became loss-making, recording a pre-tax loss of €315,225 in 2010 after recording a post-tax profit of €1.1m in 2009.

?????

Either he was very frikken good or they were very very bad.

The genuine Celtic psychics did not see this one coming??? I'm shocked

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/td-urges-inquiry-into-pro-life-group-seeking-7-000-donations-1.1667192
    A Fine Gael TD has called for an investigation into a pro-life organisation which brought 13 politicians to New York and Washington last March and is now soliciting donations of up to €7,000 from individuals.

Jim Daly said Family and Life was sending out letters seeking a fighting fund for a legal case to a “targeted audience, primarily vulnerable, elderly people”.
    The letter, signed by Family and Life founder David Manly and sent in late October, looks to raise €28,000.

It adds: “Does your blessings allow a gift that would pay 10 per cent of what is needed to defend ourselves, that’s a gift of €2,800?

“Is there a way you can fund 20 per cent of what this fight against Government intimidation will cost? That means sacrificing €5,600.

“Has our Lord rewarded you with blessings that lets you assume one quarter of this burden with a gift of €7,000?”
    Mr Daly said the letter was “unbelievable” and had left his constituent “distressed with the content, the tone and the pressure”.

He maintained that seeking funds for legal advice was “not a charitable endeavour”.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

ninja900 wrote: »
    Best religious documentary I've seen all year. 10/10. Would recommend.

Jim Daly wrote:
    [...] said Family and Life was sending out letters seeking a fighting fund for a legal case to a “targeted audience, primarily vulnerable, elderly people”.
    On a more serious note -- for anybody with family members like Popette who's never really understood what money is, but still has access to non-trivial amounts of it -- this is a serious concern and needs to be addressed before something laughable turns into something weepable.

Shur what worth is money compared to the eternal reward Rob.

Scrap the cap!

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    1544600_583825811685594_267973274_n.jpg

Ya, the remains of the Ark are to be seen on top of mount Ararat. And it will happen again, not by flood this time but by fire from above. Most likely nuclear but potentially comet, asteroid or Sun related. Unfortunately there will be some innocents caught up in it. I'm sure God will see them as Martyrs.

So you still have time to repent and seek the Lord. You will see more and more signs over the next few years so be prepared to humble yourself and repent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Ya, the remains of the Ark are to be seen on top of mount Ararat. And it will happen again, not by flood this time but by fire from above. Most likely nuclear but potentially comet, asteroid or Sun related. Unfortunately there will be some innocents caught up in it. I'm sure God will see them as Martyrs.

So you still have time to repent and seek the Lord. You will see more and more signs over the next few years so be prepared to humble yourself and repent.

No they aren't, and no it won't, though should I be wrong I hope those unfortunate innocents get to spit in the eye of a God that would kill them so gruesomely, martyrs or not.

Ya, the remains of the Ark are to be seen on top of mount Ararat.

A natural rock formation in Turkey is about as much evidence of a boat built by a ossified* man which could carry a pair of every species in existence, despite him not having the technology to work the materials nor the materials^ neccessary to build such a boat, as my existence is evidence for a race of spacefaring unicorns composed solely of Belgian chocolate with Chimay Cinq-Cents for blood.

You fail basic logic, eman, you fail it hard. No Grade.

*Well what else do you call a man who supposedly lived 900 years (apart from the obvious and true imaginary)

^We've only recently found out about carbon nano-tubes, and given the kind of conditions supposedly prevalent at the time of the alledged flood (it was probably a light shower, given how the ancient Jews exaggerated everything that wasn't an outright lie) I don't even know if such materials would be strong enoug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

robindch wrote: »
    A 65-year old UK citizen with a history of mental illness has been condemned to death in Pakistan for the crime of claiming he's a prophet:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25874580
    Why this is blasphemy? He's not claiming to be Jesus or Mo after all, and Islam accepts the idea of prophets. Presumably its because Mo is supposed to be "the last prophet". But then, surely Jesus was also held to be the last prophet, up until until Mo appeared?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

Oh wait...are you seriously being serious? :eek:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Repent for what? Being created by an asshole God who's going to drop a nuclear bomb on me?

I'm grand, thanks. He can repent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You can't be a martyr if your god kills you. You can only be a victim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A natural rock formation in Turkey is about as much evidence of a boat built by a ossified* man which could carry a pair of every species in existence, despite him not having the technology to work the materials nor the materials^ neccessary to build such a boat, as my existence is evidence for a race of spacefaring unicorns composed solely of Belgian chocolate with Chimay Cinq-Cents for blood.

You fail basic logic, eman, you fail it hard. No Grade.

*Well what else do you call a man who supposedly lived 900 years (apart from the obvious and true imaginary)

^We've only recently found out about carbon nano-tubes, and given the kind of conditions supposedly prevalent at the time of the alledged flood (it was probably a light shower, given how the ancient Jews exaggerated everything that wasn't an outright lie) I don't even know if such materials would be strong enoug.

The alleged ark was over 500ft long, 5 times the length of Columbus' ships and about 2/3 the length of the Titanic. IIRC it is completely impossible to build a seaworthy wooden craft of that size. Noah would have found his boat breaking apart in short order.

kylith wrote: »
    [...] it is completely impossible to build a seaworthy wooden craft of that size [...]
    There's a good reason why boats remained quite small until steel was invented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It says somewhere in Leviticus that wooden ships above a certain size are an abomination?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If a meteorite takes us out in the morning it also wipes out all gods
    No humans exist anymore = no gods exist anymore

So we've nothing to worry about

kylith wrote: »
    The alleged ark was over 500ft long, 5 times the length of Columbus' ships and about 2/3 the length of the Titanic. IIRC it is completely impossible to build a seaworthy wooden craft of that size. Noah would have found his boat breaking apart in short order.

Well I was thinking more along the lines of materials good enough to build a boat big enough to carry millions of species (and their requirements), light enough to float, and strong enough to withstand a very rough sea.

But yeah, you're also right about the dimensions (way too small for the job) actually specified being beyond the technology available.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    If a meteorite takes us out in the morning it also wipes out all gods
    No humans exist anymore = no gods exist anymore

So we've nothing to worry about

Apart from us being wiped out :)

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    Apart from us being wiped out :)

Given it would be likely next to impossible to stop a ELE type meteor, I don't even think that's worth worrying about.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Given it would be likely next to impossible to stop a ELE type meteor, I don't even think that's worth worrying about.

Why would it be impossible? We only need to slightly perturb it's orbit before it gets too close to Earth. Certainly wouldn't need any of that drilling and planting nukes bullsh!t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Sisters of Nazareth nuns have given their evidence to Northern Ireland's Historical Abuse Inquiry in a "haphazard and piecemeal fashion", the inquiry has been told.

The inquiry is investigating abuse claims against children's residential institutions from 1922 to 1995.

"Nazareth House Children's Home and St Joseph's Home, Termonbacca, were both run by the Sisters of Nazareth.

The inquiry has received statements from 49 ex-residents of the two homes.

Sexual and physical abuse was outlined during Monday's hearing, including children being made to eat their own vomit, being beaten for bed-wetting and being bathed in Jeyes' Fluid.

The inquiry was told that some statements from the nuns came as late as last Friday.

This was despite the initial request for documents being made in November 2012. "
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-25903194

Another shower of charmers.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Why would it be impossible? We only need to slightly perturb it's orbit before it gets too close to Earth. Certainly wouldn't need any of that drilling and planting nukes bullsh!t.
    Well, 1km3 is usually the stated threshold for an ELE object and the average speed is about 20km/sec it's a fairly tricky target to perturb.

That's if we even see it coming. 2012LZ1 was only detected a month and a half before it bypassed us and we only realized it was at the ELE threshold after it was passed when Arecibo got a look at its backside.

Odds are if there's one on a trajectory with us right now, we just won't know in time to do anything meaningful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

That's OK, I wasn't planning on sleeping tonight.

robindch wrote: »
    There's a good reason why boats remained quite small until steel was invented.

I suppose you also don't believe St Brendan sailed to America in a leather boat?

Come on, give timber and God some credit.

http://worldwideflood.org/ark/compare_ships/compare_ships.htm

http://worldwideflood.org/ark/safety_aig/safety_aig.htm

http://www.arkdiscovery.com/noah%27s_ark.htm

http://www.purifiedbyfaith.com/CreationEvolution/Genesis6thru9/images/Ark18Wheeler.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I suppose you also don't believe St Brendan sailed to America in a leather boat?

The problems of size and top load bearing weights of the materials don't occur with that, so its rather irrelevant.

So you're importing the supernatural to overcome the physical limits? Quelle surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You take that back! Bruce saved us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

Yeah...there was a Dutch fellow lately who made his own ark. It was hailed and lauded as "proof" that it could exist. When asked how he built it, he responded by saying that he had begun by welding several small boats together to form the base. Several boats. Of steel. Welded. Apparently an acetylene torch is more powerful than the gods.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement