Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hazards of Belief

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I listened to that documentary a few years ago, powerful. At least one person wasn't too keen to talk and told the journalist to f/ck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Cabaal wrote: »
    Countless people's lives ruined because of this backwards ****ed up way of thinking when it came to unmarried girls/women and pregnancy.

Countless lives are still being ruined, because the same backwards ****ed up thinking still has too much influence.

Look at the kind of obseqious behaviour that occurs every time an Iona idiot goes on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

This despicable video reminds me of SoulandForm whining about anti-bullying measures making our children "softer". What a bitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/a-lesson-in-abortion-1.1675360
    A rape victim can’t become pregnant. Abortion damages a woman’s internal organs. Abortion destroys a woman’s mental health. These are among the messages that have been given to secondary-school students in Ireland by teachers and outside agencies such as Life Pregnancy Care and Family & Life.

At secondary level, where, including vocational schools and community colleges, students generally range from 11 to 19, a number of anti-abortion organisations provide talks and presentations. Schools are not obliged to tell parents about the talks, and the Department of Education says it does not routinely record the names of external facilitators during school inspections.

One of the students, whose name we have changed to Sarah, sat through a Life Pregnancy Care talk at her girls’ school in Munster last year. The teacher was not in the room for the talk, contrary to the Department of Education’s best-practice guidelines. According to Sarah, the speaker told the class that a woman who has had an abortion may feel that she is being punished if, in later pregnancies, she suffers a miscarriage. She says the speaker also told them that women can feel suicidal and may harm themselves after abortions.

How the hell is this allowed to happen? :mad:

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

ninja900 wrote: »

My class was shown an ultrasound video of an abortion without any parents being consulted. I have, retroactively, gone ape-poo about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Same here was shown some really graphic sh*t about abortions. :(

I got lucky in secondary school, I guess. The most bull**** I ever endured was 30 minutes of Pam Stenzel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I got lucky in secondary school, I guess. The most bull**** I ever endured was 30 minutes of Pam Stenzel.

Now, she was special.

Well, there wasn't much enduring to be done, I often kept my head down and did my homework during religion class. Pam's J C-lite-grade bull**** went in one ear and out the other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

http://www.chicagonow.com/portrait-of-an-adoption/2014/02/11-yr-old-boy-bullied-for-being-a-brony-fighting-for-life-after-suicide-attempt-how-you-can-help/?fb_action_ids=10202321917262967&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B1452517354964455%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22og.likes%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

'Nobody stood up for Michael, but he seemed to be doing okay'. “Michael is deeply religious, and he turned to his faith. He asked to start taking confirmation classes, and he carried a little Bible with him everywhere. He told us that he would sit at a table at lunchtime and recite Bible verses to himself, and it brought him great joy,” Suttle said.

Reciting Bible verses brought him such joy he tried to kill himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

It is possible to be happy and full of joy, while suffering from depression

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It is possible to be happy and full of joy, while suffering from depression

I don't think so to be honest,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It's possible. Not easy, and it's only ever fleeting, but possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The trick is to only select the bible verses you like, and then recite them aloud.
    Unfortunately, bullies, gay-bashers, slavetraders etc. can do the same with the verses that they like.

Nor do I and I can't help thinking that the time spent reading verses from an ancient book might have been better used learning some communication and coping techniques.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

kylith wrote: »
    My class was shown an ultrasound video of an abortion without any parents being consulted. I have, retroactively, gone ape-poo about it.
    Jernal wrote: »
    Same here was shown some really graphic sh*t about abortions. :(

I am very old so we had a tape recording - I went ape**** at the time. Right in the middle of the tape. Part of me is still laughing at the gobsmacked look on the Singing Nun's face. Most of me is still furious.

I really did lose the plot but I am one of those people who gets 'white cold' angry - so I was articulate, factual and reasoned in a cold but furious way.

The ironic thing was as I went to a secular schools these retreat thingys were voluntary and I had gone the year before as it was a doss day in a convent with really really old retired nuns back from the Missions who were barking mad and great crack. Suddenly - we had a Fr Trendy and his side kick the Singing Nun all happy clappy spouting crappy. :mad:

After complaints from Fr Trendy my school and I agreed that I would never go on a retreat, any religion's retreat, ever again. They also stopped all religious retreats on official school days and apologised to our class for the tape being played and told us our lives, our bodies and our consciences were our own. A powerful message to give 15/16 year old girls in the late 70s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Personal experience

• Advertisement

Sex on the syllabus: what are our children taught?

Too often, either nothing or religiously inspired lies.
    On Track was written by three people linked to Youth Defence: Linda Gorman, Carolyn O’Meara and Susan Scanlan. In April 2007, Gorman and Scanlan wrote in Youth Defence’s Solas Magazine that the RSE programme was “a waste of money . . . basically flawed in its fundamentals, and essentially a completely disastrous way of teaching our young people about sexuality and sexual responsibility. It teaches that sexual responsibility involves knowing about contraception, how to avoid sexually transmitted diseases, promotion of homosexuality, and a complete lack of a moral framework.”

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Not sure if posted anywhere else.... :)

http://www.newsmax.com/us/gerald-molen-oscar-song-bigotry/2014/02/04/id/550946
    Anti-Christian bigotry may be to blame for the pulling of an Oscar nomination for Best Original Song, says Acadamy Award-winning producer Gerald Molen.

The song "Alone Yet Not Alone," from the film of the same name, was removed from consideration last week after it was learned that its composer, Bruce Broughton, had lobbied fellow academy members to consider the song.
    The movie "Alone Yet Not Alone" earned only $134,000 in a 21-day run, and has a strong evangelical Christian theme. The song was sung by Joni Eareckson Tada, a celebrity in evangelical circles who became a quadriplegic after a diving accident.
    Indeed. It's bigotry to disallow you to use your official position on an awards committee to influence voters.

213360_original.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

The Vatican “systematically” adopted policies that allowed priests to rape and molest tens of thousands of children over decades, a U.N. human rights committee said Wednesday, urging it to open its files on pedophiles and bishops who concealed their crimes.

More information on the U.N. report here.

In its report, the committee blasted the “code of silence” that has long been used to keep victims quiet, saying the Holy See had “systematically placed preservation of the reputation of the church and the alleged offender over the protection of child victims.”

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^

"In another fanciful request, the UN urged Kim Jong-un to open his borders to UN Human Rights investigators.

Neither the Vatican nor Mr Jong-un were available for comment."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Dades wrote: »
    ^^

"In another fanciful request, the UN urged Kim Jong-un to open his borders to UN Human Rights investigators.

Neither the Vatican nor Mr Jong-un were available for comment."

Ugh ......... that just gave me a mental picture of the Vatican big wigs and Jong-un having dinner together at St. Peters. All very jovial, with lots of wine .......... very romanesque-themed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Kivaro wrote: »
    [...] the Vatican big wigs and Jong-un having dinner together [...]
    They could discuss their respective virgin birth mythologies.

Will post a pic later if I remember and have time.

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    They could discuss their respective virgin birth mythologies.

Will post a pic later if I remember and have time.

As a great scientist once said:
    Remember. Remember.

1797500_591215917613250_2080387131_n.jpg

From the "Now, I'm going to do this only once" drawer:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/middle-east/suicide-bomb-instructor-blows-up-his-class-1.1687418
    A group of Sunni militants attending a suicide bombing training class at a camp north of Baghdad were killed yesterday when their commander unwittingly conducted a demonstration with a belt that was packed with explosives, army and police officials said. The militants belonged to a group known as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, or ISIL, which is fighting the Shia-dominated army of the Iraqi government, mostly in Anbar province. But they are also linked to bomb attacks elsewhere and other fighting that has thrown Iraq deeper into sectarian violence.

Twenty-two Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant members were killed, and 15 were wounded, in the explosion at the camp, which is in a farming area in the northeastern province of Samara, according to the police and army officials. Stores of other explosive devices and heavy weapons were also kept there, the officials said. Eight militants were arrested when they tried to escape, the officials said. The militant who was conducting the training was not identified by name, but he was described by an Iraqi army officer as a prolific recruiter who was “able to kill the bad guys for once.” The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant militants drove into Fallujah and the nearby city of Ramadi, both in Anbar province, earlier this year with heavy weaponry, taking control of key intersections and offices of local authorities. Local security forces and tribes have since re-established control in Ramadi. But Iraq is developing a plan, with help from the United States, that would have Sunni tribes take the lead in ending the standoff with the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant in Fallujah, with the Iraqi army in support, a senior State Department official told Congress last week.

The official, Brett McGurk, said that the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant had about 2,000 fighters in Iraq, and that its longer-term objective is to establish a base of operations in Baghdad, led by Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, who has been officially designated as a global terrorist by the State Department. In other violence in Iraq, a roadside bomb detonated in the northern city of Mosul alongside the convoy of the speaker of Parliament, the Sunni leader Osama al-Nujaifi, security officials said. Six of his guards were wounded, but al-Nujaifi was unharmed, they said. In Baghdad, a doctor was found dead with bullet wounds in his head and chest two days after he was kidnapped from his house, medical officials said. In the Baya district of southwestern Baghdad, a bomb left near a cafe killed four people and wounded 11, according to a police official.

A deaf preacher has a good think about religion and comes to a fairly inevitable conclusion:

• Advertisement

I couldn't help but think of the movie "Four Lions" when I first read that. :pac:

I couldn't help but think of the movie "Four Lions" when I first read that. :pac:

I thought more of the Americans shooting down British helicopters. Equally hilarious I'm sure everyone will agree.

:rolleyes:

The only difference between their desired outcome and the actual outcome is that these guys didn't take any innocent civilians with them when they went.

Do not pass go, do not collect 72 virgins.

1779193_592135347521307_700477049_n.jpg

Presumably by 'people' he meant 'men' - either way thats some ucked up thinking.

Very weird article about christian fundamentalists targetting homeless men in London:

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/the-jesus-army-will-feed-you-because-the-government-wont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Very weird article about christian fundamentalists targetting homeless men in London:

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/the-jesus-army-will-feed-you-because-the-government-wont
    Reminds me of that thread recently (I think it was in AH) about a group that was like a halfway house for drug addicts and alcoholics but they had to sign over their welfare to the house and go out collecting money for them.

It seems like this kind of thing is increasing. The size of the one mentioned in that article is incredible.
    "As women, we accept the headship of godly men," reads the statement. "This is not a question of equality, but of social and spiritual role... In today's society the roles have become blurred. Men often wear the pinny whilst women go out to work. Sadly this is sometimes necessitated by unemployment and financial pressure. But it's not God's perfect way. God wants men to be men and women to be women. It makes sense really. He created us male and female. He should know what's best for us!"

"So, are women inferior?" the statement asks. "No! God's not into first and second class status. He's into equality! As women, we don't need to prove our equality. God has done it! This world is full of people trying to be who they are not – square pegs trying to fit into round holes. And it brings frustration, anxiety and depression. In the church of Jesus it's different. Women can relax and be women. Jesus women!"
    How predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

I have, on occasion, used the phrase 'Jesus women', but usually with a comma, just before the OH demonstrates to me, yet again, that I am in fact wrong.

That's an interesting concept, the Jesus Army. Its not that far off some of the mushroom/fruit picking farms that operate with quite large transient communities (mostly foreign workers and students though) out in the middle of nowhere. The key difference seems to be that by recruiting homeless people instead of students and migrants, the Jesus Army gets to harvest a whole load of benefits; dole money and housing benefits "on behalf of" the workers. This does involve telling lies to social welfare BTW, because these people are not "available for, and looking for (other) work"

Also the fact that none of the workers can take away their pay when they leave.
    They can however take away their "capital" :) ie any large lump sum of cash the homeless person may have had stuffed into their socks when they first arrived.
    Imagine if it was Allah's Army that was recruiting instead, I couldn't see that being allowed in the UK!

This crowd take young druggie lads out from Dublin city centre to a farm setting in the Devil's Glen :eek: :pac: in Wicklow..... I spoke to one of the "residents" a few months ago, just talking across the fence, and from what I could make out from his Dublinese, he seemed to be quite happy. But after a minute he explained he was late for his "lecture" and went running off to one of the buildings. I have no idea what benefits are being claimed, if any, as it had never occurred to me before that the org could do this.

They also take in fallen women, but keep them separate from the menfolk, and of course their own children.

It could of course be argued that a period of time spent in one of these places is very beneficial to the people. But IMO some State agency should be running these kind of facilities, with proper counselling and skills training being provided.

I found this harrowing tale of a "Mormon gulag" on Reddit today, my blood just boils thinking of these twisted fuckers who are getting away with child abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

recedite wrote: »
    That's an interesting concept, the Jesus Army. Its not that far off some of the mushroom/fruit picking farms that operate with quite large transient communities (mostly foreign workers and students though) out in the middle of nowhere. The key difference seems to be that by recruiting homeless people instead of students and migrants, the Jesus Army gets to harvest a whole load of benefits; dole money and housing benefits "on behalf of" the workers. This does involve telling lies to social welfare BTW, because these people are not "available for, and looking for (other) work"

Also the fact that none of the workers can take away their pay when they leave.
    They can however take away their "capital" :) ie any large lump sum of cash the homeless person may have had stuffed into their socks when they first arrived.
    Imagine if it was Allah's Army that was recruiting instead, I couldn't see that being allowed in the UK!

This crowd take young druggie lads out from Dublin city centre to a farm setting in the Devil's Glen :eek: :pac: in Wicklow..... I spoke to one of the "residents" a few months ago, just talking across the fence, and from what I could make out from his Dublinese, he seemed to be quite happy. But after a minute he explained he was late for his "lecture" and went running off to one of the buildings. I have no idea what benefits are being claimed, if any, as it had never occurred to me before that the org could do this.

They also take in fallen women, but keep them separate from the menfolk, and of course their own children.

It could of course be argued that a period of time spent in one of these places is very beneficial to the people. But IMO some State agency should be running these kind of facilities, with proper counselling and skills training being provided.
    Just on Tiglin, the Dublin Business Improvement District does fundraising on their behalf. There was a push last year to try and discourage people from giving money to beggars and instead contribute to Tiglin instead. You'll see posters up in many D1.D2 businesses and there's collection jars.

• Advertisement

Bastards!
    ISIL militants took the Syrian girl, Fatoum Al-Jassem, to Al-Reqqa religious court and the judge ruled that membership in Facebook is tantamount to adultery and sentenced her to death by stoning, the Arabic-language Al-Rai Al-Youm reported.

http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13921123000428

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Bannasidhe wrote: »

While little suprises me, its significant that the sole English source for that is the pro-Syrian Government Iranian Fars news. One might recall various false stories spread about the opposition in Egypt immediately following the fall of Mubarrak.

This is a bit mad. Hopefully the recall only concerns those copies in India

"Now here's this book. And there will be more. After half a century of studying and engaging with Hinduism, I'm not about to be silenced by a few (bad) eggs," academic Wendy Doniger wrote in her latest book On Hinduism, published last year.

Doniger, who teaches at the University of Chicago and has written nearly half a dozen books on Hinduism, including a translation of the Kama Sutra, was writing about how her 2009 book The Hindus: An Alternative History quickly became a lightning rod for Hindu anger.

Doniger wrote that bloggers had accused her of attacking Hinduism and sexualising Hindus, flooded Amazon with their "lurid opinions of the book" and sent her obscene and threatening emails. There was even a protest outside the US embassy in Delhi calling for the book, which was climbing the best-seller non-fiction list, to be banned. The book had also prompted a legal challenge from Hindu groups and attracted at least two separate criminal complaints.

But Tuesday's news of her publisher Penguin India deciding to recall and destroy all remaining copies of The Hindus is being seen as the unkindest cut of all. "
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-26148875

Nodin wrote: »
    While little suprises me, its significant that the sole English source for that is the pro-Syrian Government Iranian Fars news. One might recall various false stories spread about the opposition in Egypt immediately following the fall of Mubarrak.

Currently the opposition in Syria consists of....

Al-Qaeda's Iraqi afiliate the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. So to be honest if Iran are spreading rumours about them, my guess is they're toning down on what's really going on.

And yes, it does mean that the US are funding Al-Qaeda in Syria while bombing them elsewhere.

Al-Qaeda's Iraqi afiliate the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. So to be honest if Iran are spreading rumours about them, my guess is they're toning down on what's really going on.

Why?

Nodin wrote: »
    Why?

Because what's reported is nowhere near as bad as what an Al-Qaeda affiliate would actually do.

Because what's reported is nowhere near as bad as what an Al-Qaeda affiliate would actually do.

No, why would Iran tone it down?

Just on Tiglin, the Dublin Business Improvement District does fundraising on their behalf. There was a push last year to try and discourage people from giving money to beggars and instead contribute to Tiglin instead. You'll see posters up in many D1.D2 businesses and there's collection jars.
    Well well, so nice of them to contribute towards the cost of "cleaning up the streets". I can confirm that "the disappeared" seem to be alive and well :)
    Not sure whether the bible classes are reforming their souls though.

FYI there are two different opposing groups of Islamic fundamentalist operating in the region.
    Persian/Iran/Hezbollah/Shi-ite muslim V Arab/Saudi/ Al Queda/Sunni muslim. Hence a lot of the tension between Iraq and Iran, and within Lebanon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

So praying will not save you if you're bitten by a deadly snake...who knew?

But like many illnesses, if you pray and go to hospital, the lord will save you. :rolleyes:

http://news.sky.com/story/1212846/snake-handling-tv-pastor-dies-from-snakebite

MOVED TO HAZARDS THREAD from own thread
    (Which explains why there's a similar post below...)

Dades

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement