Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hazards of Belief

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,566 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nodin wrote: »
    .....when you have a religion part-founded by a woman who started having visions after being smacked in the head with a rock, it's never going to turn out well, tbh.

Being smacked in the head helps immensely with religious belief, according to my primary educators.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

ninja900 wrote: »
    Being smacked in the head helps immensely with religious belief, according to my primary educators.

Spreading the word of the lord, by spelling "lord" in thumb tacks on yer big hittin ruler......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Prominent thinker and public intellectual Liam Neeson reckons that "Islam is the Answer", but won't convert as he's worried about what his neighbors in Ballymena might think. Irish reporting at its very best.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/laim-neesons-taken-islam-afraid-3183331
    Movie star Liam Neeson has admitted he’s afraid to convert to Islam because of how locals in his home town would take it.

The Northern Irish actor thinks Islam “is the answer” after experiencing the Muslim call to prayer while filming Taken 2 in Istanbul.

But the 61-year-old doesn’t want to go all the way because people in Ballymena, Co Antrim, may be annoyed with his decision.

He added: “In Istanbul, the Muslim call to prayer starts at 5am.

“For the first week it was hard to take, in the second week I thought it was quite nice and by the third week I was totally captivated by it.

“It wouldn’t go down very well in Ballymena.

“They would say to me, ‘You’re a Muslim? Are you a Catholic Muslim or a Protestant Muslim?’ ”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

robindch wrote: »
    Prominent thinker and public intellectual Liam Neeson reckons that "Islam is the Answer", but won't convert as he's worried about what his neighbors in Ballymena might think. Irish reporting at its very best.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/laim-neesons-taken-islam-afraid-3183331

But, did he actually go to prayer or learn anything about Islam, or did he just think it was a handy alarm clock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

kylith wrote: »
    But, did he actually go to prayer or learn anything about Islam, or did he just think it was a handy alarm clock?

Well, the Angeleus are often late so....

It's not an anti-black law, it's a private business can refuse service law. Uhuh.

And if a black business owner wants to refuse white supremacists service? Tough luck suck it up?
    If I had a shop I wouldn't mind it being legal to refuse the westboro lads if they showed up :)

bluewolf wrote: »
    And if a black business owner wants to refuse white supremacists service? Tough luck suck it up?
    If I had a shop I wouldn't mind it being legal to refuse the westboro lads if they showed up :)

Meh - I would just have a 'special' price rate....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

If he truly thought that then he would convert will they, nil they.

1898269_624762930927256_1666784673_n.jpg

:eek:

Edit: Unclear if this is an authentic quote from Ray Comfort...but, sadly there are people who think like this...

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Well, here's one authentic quote from him:

raycomfort1.png

/snigger

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Well, here's one authentic quote from him:

raycomfort1.png

/snigger

*Tilts head and blinks rapidly *

Wut????? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The school denies the report and its lawyer says the entire story is false:

http://www.wlos.com/shared/news/features/top-stories/stories/wlos_school-club-controversy-15319.shtml

I just found this on Reddit, apparently the school alleges that Kalei's father is trying to "manufacture" a controversy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

http://bulawayo24.com/index-id-news-sc-religion-byo-43603.html.

Can't find confirmation but seems likely tbh.

legspin wrote: »
    Can't find confirmation but seems likely tbh.
    Hardly any weirder than Kazakhstan and Russia recently banning lace underwear:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/kazakhstan-lacy-underwear-ban-sees-dozens-of-women-arrested-in-street-protest-9136570.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/second-opinion-talks-on-sexual-abstinence-have-no-place-in-our-schools-1.1711300
    Unbelievably, talks on sexual abstinence are still delivered to post-primary school students by external agencies. A spokeswoman for an organisation called Pure in Heart was interviewed last week on RTÉ ’s Today with Seán O’Rourke.

Her message was it’s good to be pure and abstaining from sexual activity until marriage is the best option. Listeners, who texted in their views, were largely in favour of chastity education, thought teaching about purity was “refreshing”, and Catholic schools were entitled to promote Catholic views on sexuality. They are not.

Schools funded by taxpayers cannot include abstinence as part of Relationships and Sexuality Education (RSE). The R in RSE stands for relationships, not religion.

Well, then it would be ARSE... :pac:
    “All programmes and events delivered by visitors and external agencies must use appropriate, evidence-based methodologies with clear educational outcomes.”

So no YD or iOnanists or assorted loons then.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Waking-Dreams

More about abstinence-only sex education here:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/sex-on-the-syllabus-what-are-our-children-taught-1.1677796
    Despite best-practice guidelines, schools have no obligation to tell parents who is talking to their children about sex. Getting information on what these groups are teaching our children, and in what schools, can be difficult. In the course of this review of RSE, The Irish Times discovered a lack of transparency in sex education that doesn’t apply to any other curricular area. The majority of schools declined to answer basic questions about who visited to give talks or classes, or what textbooks they use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Apparently its for health reasons, officials are "citing that lace does not absorb enough moisture".
    I'll admit I'm not an expert on this subject, but I can see a possible compromise solution; Lace undies with silica gel dessicant sewn into the fabric. Only problem is, the lacy underwear will transform to an unflattering twice its normal size after washing. But this could be remedied by placing the panties in an oven at 150 degrees C for an hour or so, after which the silica crystals will shrink back down to their normal size and be renewed.

I think I'll send this info to Mr. Putin, as he's got a few headaches at the moment, and the poor guy is getting a very hard time from our own Eamon Gilmore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

recedite wrote: »
    I think I'll send this info to Mr. Putin, as he's got a few headaches at the moment, and the poor guy is getting a very hard time from our own Eamon Gilmore.

This made me laugh :D

• Moderators Posts: 51,864 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Parishioners scorched on forehead by holy ashes on Ash Wednesday

A priest was forced to abandon an Ash Wednesday mass yesterday – after 30 of his parishioners had their foreheads burned by the blessed ashes.

Fr Eugene Baker had given out the ashes to everyone in the congregation when they started to complain about a burning sensation.

He was forced to stop the mass in St Joseph’s Church in Newtownshandrum in north Cork and advise the congregation to go into the church sacristy and wash the ashes off.

Fr Baker told independent.ie that he is surprised by the anomaly and he apologised to his parishioners.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

They were vampires!!!! The holy ash burned their impure skin

• Advertisement

Just thinking, people were burned as witches for far less "evidence" than this

Just thinking, people were burned as witches for far less "evidence" than this

The Newtownshandrum Witch Trials!!!

It could put the place on the map boi!!

Ummmm...apart from the vague 'north Cork'...where the hell is it???

30 of 'his parishioners' were burnt...is it a teeny weeny place or a not very religious place???

I only ever heard of the place in relation to either Bogball or Stickball

I only ever heard of the place in relation to either Bogball or Stickball

:confused:

Would those be the same as Bigball and Smallball as they call them in the Shhhitty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

SW wrote: »
    Yikes, thankfully it seems they only received minor burns.

How would that even happen?

Surely if the ashes were somehow so fresh that they were still warm, the people would notice immediately rather than after half an hour? Maybe in conjunction with the oil and the heat from their own skin?

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »

Surely if the ashes were somehow so fresh that they were still warm, the people would notice immediately rather than after half an hour? Maybe in conjunction with the oil and the heat from their own skin?

This is no place for your logic and seeking a reasonable explanation :mad:

*checks forum* Oh - it is.

Sorry bout that. My mistake. :o

Do carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Mr_A

If it burned the parishioners, how come the priests finger wasn't burned even more?

It's a miracle!

Someone in another forum said yesterday a woman showed up at the doc with a burn on her forehead from it as well
    I'd say it could easily be one of those things that doesn't really start to hurt for a couple mins, depending on what was in the actual ashes

• Moderators Posts: 51,864 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

bluewolf wrote: »
    Someone in another forum said yesterday a woman showed up at the doc with a burn on her forehead from it as well
    I'd say it could easily be one of those things that doesn't really start to hurt for a couple mins, depending on what was in the actual ashes

Yeah. It's a slow burn so you could handle the ash for a brief time but prolonged exposure would eventually burn you.

If you can read this, you're too close!

If it was a Russian Orthodox church service, I'd be concerned the ashes contained polonium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/galway-priest-solves-mystery-after-ashes-burn-foreheads-1.1715055?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Turns out it's science's fault yet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Presumably they were sinners, so their god smote them a little.

That's a misunderstanding of science though; the conclusion that it was chlorine in the water is BS. This is what happens when you allow a priest to "interpret" chemistry to a reporter. Interpreting the bible is one thing, but....

Its an alkali called caustic lye; here's how to make it.
    Our ancestors were very familiar with it, early Celtic and Saxon peoples used lye products as their soap for washing themselves, and also bleaching their hair. I'd say the trick is to rub it in well, and then rinse it off fairly quickly.

The ash would not have been caustic until the priest added the (holy) water to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

So what's your saying is God set the Holy Water on fire to demonstrate his wrath with believers for letting the fabric of society be destroyed!

Never saw a single person with the mark of satan ashes on their head this year.

Only a few years back there would have been several in work and maybe 10% of people walking down the street.

Scrap the cap!

Parishioners scorched on forehead by holy ashes on Ash Wednesday
    Shouldn't that be Rash Wednesday?(*)

(*) Nick wins a bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Still totally a miracle that the priest's touching finger didn't burn.

Mr_A wrote: »
    Maybe he's immune to his own transubstantiation spell?

Bet he said that to all the altar boys.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

The skin on the thumb, while being sensitive to touch, is quite thick and fairly tough. It has to be to put up with all the abuse it gets in daily life.

The skin on the forehead, not so much, especially if not that weather-beaten.
    Therefore it stands to reason that a caustic substance such as potash (KNO3, potassium hydroxide, a product in the ash of certain burnt woods) would irritate the thin skin on a forehead.
    Mind you, if the priest had got some on anything other than the pad of his thumb (the base and sides of the thumbnail for example), he'd certainly know it.

One of the "treatments" to de-horn calves is to rub the nubbins of their horns with a stick of potash before they break through the skin. You had to make sure it broke through the fibrous outer layer of horn under the skin and onto the still growing core. Do it when the calves were young enough and it would essentially cauterise the bit of the horn that made it grow and the calve would grow up 'pollied'.
    It was always one of the more unpleasant tasks during spring and early summer as it drove the poor little buggers mad.
    We also used sodium hydroxide to wash the milking machine. That would sting like hell as well

This is slightly conjecture but the moment I heard the story I jumped to this conclusion. If I'm wildly off the mark, please tell me.

It was some kind of filthy science magic anyway. Whether KNO3 or Lye Cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

legspin wrote: »
    The skin on the thumb, while being sensitive to touch, is quite thick and fairly tough. It has to be to put up with all the abuse it gets in daily life.

The skin on the forehead, not so much, especially if not that weather-beaten.
    Therefore it stands to reason that a caustic substance such as potash (KNO3, potassium hydroxide, a product in the ash of certain burnt woods) would irritate the thin skin on a forehead.
    Mind you, if the priest had got some on anything other than the pad of his thumb (the base and sides of the thumbnail for example), he'd certainly know it.

One of the "treatments" to de-horn calves is to rub the nubbins of their horns with a stick of potash before they break through the skin. You had to make sure it broke through the fibrous outer layer of horn under the skin and onto the still growing core. Do it when the calves were young enough and it would essentially cauterise the bit of the horn that made it grow and the calve would grow up 'pollied'.
    It was always one of the more unpleasant tasks during spring and early summer as it drove the poor little buggers mad.
    We also used sodium hydroxide to wash the milking machine. That would sting like hell as well

This is slightly conjecture but the moment I heard the story I jumped to this conclusion. If I'm wildly off the mark, please tell me.
    The skin on the *ahem*..... is quite sensitive. Surely the same priest didn't go the whole day without spending a penny? Perhaps the poor cleric was also 'de-horned'?

On a side note, I only saw one holy headsmudge yesterday. In Slattery's of Rathmines at about 10:30 last night. Youngish woman. Otherwise attractive. A bit tipsy too.

:pac:

I know its subjective, but I was out and about a fair bit yesterday. Even a few years ago I'm sure I remember seeing loads more. Surely the census can't be that far off the mark?!? Aren't loads of us catholic here? Where have all the holy headsmudges gone?!? Were people fibbing when they filled out the form?

No, no, the census is totally accurate and reliable and that goes for the speaking Irish question too!!!

Scrap the cap!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-26453576
    Legoland closes resort hotel following threats

It comes after a private fun day organised by an Islamic group, due to be held on Sunday, was cancelled due to threats from far-right groups.

What the hell? These muslims will only go there when there's no infidels about?

Scrap the cap!

I see it more as a group who happened to be Muslim organised a private day out - happens all the time. I remember when all the community groups in Hackney did the same at Windsor Safari Park - block booked the whole place for a day. That was a day I thought would never end....:eek:

My problem is with the fecking numpties who sent threats. Aren't Muslims allowed to do what other groups do without eejits getting the pitch forks out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I believe the local population of that village sold their souls to the Devil for All Ireland Fame & Success, seemingly they received same and now they are paying the full price.

Shzzzz!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

(*) Nick wins a bet.

The aul' fella always wins. That's why he owns Vegas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I see it more as a group who happened to be Muslim organised a private day out - happens all the time. I remember when all the community groups in Hackney did the same at Windsor Safari Park - block booked the whole place for a day. That was a day I thought would never end....:eek:

My problem is with the fecking numpties who sent threats. Aren't Muslims allowed to do what other groups do without eejits getting the pitch forks out?
    Eh, I'd advocate militant social inclusion. It's good for the groups to be mixed and exposed to one another. Whether they want it or not. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I think this has gone unnoticed over the last few days:
    auld bint defends the Magdalene Gulags.

I honestly believe that those who defend these gulags should spend a month in there with Sr Hannah Landa of the SS Order breathing down their neck, and try to come back afterwards and defend these gulags with a straight face.

That odious dreck is a disgrace to print in any reputable newspaper.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement