Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why?! (Question)

Options
  • 07-06-2006 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭

I'm in the middle of some great series but the authors are not finished writing them. The problem is, while the next two books in each series respectively are published in hardback and large paperback, I have to wait until November and March for the normal sized paperback editions like all of the others I have in the series are like. I would really like to know why the hell this takes so long and whats with the large paperback ones? It's really bugging me. Can't they just release them :confused: ...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Sandor wrote:
    I'm in the middle of some great series but the authors are not finished writing them. The problem is, while the next two books in each series respectively are published in hardback and large paperback, I have to wait until November and March for the normal sized paperback editions like all of the others I have in the series are like. I would really like to know why the hell this takes so long and whats with the large paperback ones? It's really bugging me. Can't they just release them :confused: ...

well, how many people that have been waiting x amount of months for a new book are going to buy the expensive hardcover version if the paperback is out at the same time?
    it's not that complicated. your first guess was correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Oh I know that. I'm more or less frustrated with this large paperback edition being out and the normal one not. I don't see any financial advantage it just seems ****ish. I would be happy with just the hardback being out. I could wait, but well you see what i'm asking. I was hoping for some kind of reasoning behind it.

well, as far as I know it's all about money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Probably, ahhh, I feel better after venting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

The large paperbacks are called trade paperbacks. More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_paperback

I agree with you - they're annoyingly bulky. That's why I read older books!

• Advertisement

I kinda like them, but I always prefer hardback. all my paperbacks end up with a curling cover.. and I don't know how to stop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Mordeth wrote:
    I kinda like them, but I always prefer hardback. all my paperbacks end up with a curling cover.. and I don't know how to stop it.

Squeeze them tightly on the shelf, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Mordeth wrote:

Don't bend the front cover around the back so you can read one handed on the DART?

I don't like bulky hardbacks as I rarely sit down to read at home, i'm always on the go somewhere so a hand paperback that's light and easily transported is best. Plus I'm cheap and won't pay for hardbacks ;)

I agree the delay between hardback and softback is interminable if you're dying to read it, may I suggest the Library? They'll often have bought the hardback and you can read for free. Even if you have to put your name down it'll be shorter than waiting for paperback.

Advertisement