Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico Write up in the Newpaper Anyone

Options
  • 07-06-2006 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

Did anyone see the Write up on Perlico today, Friend was telling me but forgot to ask what paper...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

There was this little snippet on ENN two weeks ago:
    "Irish telecoms and broadband provider Perlico Communications has advised consumers to be vigilant when signing up for broadband deals. "It's a real Alice in Wonderland out there for the Irish broadband consumer. All is not as it seems," warned Perlico chief executive Iain MacDonald. Advising consumers to pay attention to the small print before signing anything, MacDonald cautioned that "If it sounds too good to be true, chances are it's for a reason."

Perlico's range of offers is great. A pity most people don't seem to trust an Irish company, but rather stay with one soon to be based on the Cayman Islands.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Some of their offers are a bit confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

A pity most people don't seem to trust an Irish company
    Is that really the issue or is it that they don't trust a new company with no track record they know of? People have been stung by such companies dissappearing in the past (I don't just mean in the telecoms sector, or that it was nevessarily the fault of the companies involved) so they may be reluctant to risk it again until companies become more established.

Kahless wrote:
    Is that really the issue or is it that they don't trust a new company with no track record they know of?
    In general, worldwide, customer inertia with landlines is legendary. Eircom spends a lot of money to foster that false loyality feeling. Eircom has (short-term-cleverly – but that's all the self-serving vulture-type management figures are about) spent much/a lot/most (?) of its "broadband investment" in advertising, rather then in providing the service.
    When you have a look at – for example – the Perlico offer page here, how much budgetary thinking has the eircom landline customer to do? What risk is he/she taking? It is no risk involved. A switch back in the worst case, is a matter of minutes. No money can be lost. There's only the "hard" question: Do I, for the very same service, want to pay 40 euros a month or 30 euros a month(and have all calls cheaper)? But here is this deep-rooted reluctance of people to be disloyal to "our national telecoms company".
    People have been stung by such companies dissappearing in the past (I don't just mean in the telecoms sector, or that it was necessarily the fault of the companies involved) so they may be reluctant to risk it again until companies become more established.
    While Ireland has historically been a graveyard and money sink-hole for other telecom's companies (coming here and expecting a functional regulator), to my knowledge this has not been the case with customers in the telecoms area.
    The few messers like Newtel are a God-send for the incumbent and ComReg's reluctance to sort them out in a timely manner is regrettable.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Kahless wrote:
    Is that really the issue or is it that they don't trust a new company with no track record they know of? People have been stung by such companies dissappearing in the past (I don't just mean in the telecoms sector, or that it was nevessarily the fault of the companies involved) so they may be reluctant to risk it again until companies become more established.

Definitely a chicken and egg situation ....... cant get established until you have customers ......cant get customers until established ...... hard grafting to be done all around.

Looking at the product list i see this would scare a lot of people off......

"The download allowance is 6GB per month. If you go over this generous limit then we reserve the right to charge you for any additional data (at 3cent inc VAT per MB).

This data allowance is calculated on a daily basis and if you are consistently above this amount we reserve the right to suspend or permanently disconnect your account in the first month that you are over."

Does this mean that you can only download a max of 200 Megs a day and then face 3.63 Cent per Meg after that? If im right downloading that Linux ISO could become quite expensive!!
    And then you could get disconnected for downloading......WTF??

and i nearly forgot the disconnection fees here

"Is there a Contract Duration?

No, there is no minimum contract with Perlico Broadband. However, there is a cancellation fee of €59.99 if you cancel before 6 months or €29.99 thereafter."

not the best package out there regardless of how established the company is/isnt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

There does'nt seem to be an option for online signup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

The few messers like Newtel are a God-send for the incumbent

Yup, and I'm sure IBB is too. Many non-eircom BB providers have had issues. Those stories spread (not just amongst the tech-savvy). Until some company gets serious about customer service, or offers ground-breaking savings (10 quid a month isn't a whole lot) I can't see a shift in attitude, however regrettable that is. eircom is a trusted brand (and, in fairness offer a reliable BB product, if you can get it). If some company thinks they can burst eircom's bubble with the customer service / QoS of IBB, think again. It'll take a lot of effort (and good CS) to busrt that bubble IMO.

Stories like "Oh Joe up the road got BB with Company X, and they had him up and running in 3 hours. Even when he moved house his BB was there before him." and "Mary was saying the other day that Company Y fixed her BB over the phone for free, and gave her a month's refund because it was down".. and positive stories like that are the only thing that'll change the mindset, IMO. There aren't many ISPs that can offer that sort of CS.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dhoun

Do Perlico have an Irish website?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

dhoun wrote:
    Do Perlico have an Irish website?

www.perlico.ie or www.perlico.com will get you the same website.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

"Cheaper than Eircom"....whoopee! So is every other provider.
    Their selective details and no stop phonecalls piss me off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Altreab wrote:
    www.perlico.ie or www.perlico.com will get you the same website.

www.perlico.ie appears to be hosted in Dublin. A tracert to www.perlico.ie ends with these addresses:
    11 ... so0-0-0-2488M.ar1.DUB1.gblx.net [67.17.66.6]
    12 ... Data-Electronics-Group-LTD.so-4-1-0.ar1.dub1.gblx.net [64.215.184.194]
    13 ... 217.114.160.43
    14 ... 217.114.163.201

When I access www.perlico.ie in a browser, I'm redirected to www.perlico.com which appears to be hosted in London. A tracert to www.perlico.com ends with
    12 ... POS3-0.CR1.LND5.alter.net [158.43.233.241]
    13 ... pos0-0.cr1.bhx2.ALTER.net [158.43.253.65]
    14 ... pos6-0-0.cr2.bfs1.gbb.uk.uu.net [158.43.254.134]
    15 ... fe0-0-0.gw3.bfs1.gbb.uk.uu.net [158.43.229.195]
    16 ... uuk201021-gw.customer.uk.uu.net [158.43.52.34]
    17 ... perlico.managed.tibus.net [212.108.66.142]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Perli-crap

[.cg snip mindless rant]

If switching from Eircom, try BT........I intend to now.

Perli-crap wrote:
    [.cg snip mindless rant]If switching from Eircom, try BT........I intend to now.
    Would you mind pointing out the 'cheats' to us?
    What's not true they are saying about their prices?
    You seem to say Perlico has pitfalls in the 'small print', what are they?

P.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I do not like people who sign up to Boards in order to abuse a company ...and only that. Please make this thing go away .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Perli-crap, please refrain from posting silly claims like that here!

T&C are clearly linked to from most pages on their website, including the front page, and limits and excess charges are clearly indicated too. Buyer beware. Hopefully you'll have better luck with BT.

Advertisement