Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

is a 2.5 page essay long enough..and a 1.5 bishop essay?

• 07-06-2006 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭

in english today since these were my last questions i did..i didnt have enough time to finish them..

but do you think that a 2 and a half page personal essay will be alri ..and a 1 and a half page bishop question? like will i lose loads of marks for not having at least 3.5 pages in essay and 2.5 pages on bishop...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

too short imo. doesnt look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

It's quality not quantity
    How big is your writing

Guys does anyone get that Bishop is going to marked very hard cause nearly everyone did that question :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭iggyman

me writing is about medium not not big not small...very tight together...well from what i wrote in my essay up to that point seems ok but it was just aload of crap piled into my last half page of bishop question

smemon wrote:
    too short imo. doesnt look good.
    Yeah I was going to say that too but don't put the guy down ffs he needs reassurance :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Its really a matter of quality over quantity.

However my cultural context introduction is longer then your Bishop essay.Which is pretty scary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'd say Hardy will be marked the hardest, looks to me like more people did that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

You don't get marked for length in particular but I'm sure they look for a certain amount of content, depends on how much you squeezed in really. Length isn't all that big a deal though, I wouldn't worry about it, assuming what you wrote was of decent quality.

Hopefully the examiners actually do pay attention to the amount of people that did the question, because Bishop, Longley and Hardy were virtual certainities to come up, so I reckon the vast majority did them, and I'm in the tiny minority of Donne fans!

well to be honest im only looking for a d3 in H english..any more than that is a bonus i just dont want to fail it...

like i did 5 pages on them and issue which i should score high in because it was learned word for word...and then my king lear essay was good in my opion so a few loat maks in bishop question i can handle but its the essay im more scared of..like its a quarter of the whole exam and i can really only be marked out of like 65 % percent of it or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

Raphael wrote:

**** really?:eek:

ThrownAway wrote:
    Yeah I was going to say that too but don't put the guy down ffs he needs reassurance :D

is that what the examiner will say ;)

best tell it as it is. that amount is all right. but 9/10 times it won't be enough for an honour.

• Advertisement

yeah once i actually pass the paper i dont mind..just dont want to fail...have to go and study mathes now

iggyman wrote:
    mathes

;):p english isn't your strongest subject then

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

It depends on your content I guess, I'm sure that theres people who wrote a lot lot more and their over all factual stuff is less than yours... what.. what's everyone looking at me for? I didnt forget large chunks of lear quotes, then panic and stuff.. I also got so paranoid with my examiner, she was standing behind me for ages, till I turned and realised she was sitting on an empty table..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I wrote less than I did in the mocks, and 3 pages was too short back then, but 2 and a half pages now of much smaller writing should be grand. I really don't mind now its over. I don't know why I wrote so small though my writing is usually sorta big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

Raphael wrote:
    nooooooooooooooooooo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

That's not fair! Defeats the whole purpose of the exam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Of course Rapheal may just be wrong,considering his isn't an examiner or a correcter.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

2.5 is perfect. There are people on here who wrote six and seven pages.I think they are full of **** or their essays are full of ****

i disagree, 2.5 pages is not honours standard, its ok if you want a pass though.

3.5 pages min if you want an A, preferably 4 or above. 6 plus is just taking the piss and will bore the examiner unless it's world class which it won't be unless your a genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

smemon wrote:
    i disagree, 2.5 pages is not honours standard, its ok if you want a pass though.

3.5 pages min if you want an A, preferably 4 or above. 6 plus is just taking the piss and will bore the examiner unless it's world class which it won't be unless your a genius.

My writing isn't that big or anything, but I constantly struggled to keep my poetry essays down to 4/5 pages. Today I wrote 6, and that ended up with me just giving a page long description basically on each poem. Dunno how in hell you'd write a decent answer in 3/4 pages

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

smemon wrote:

xha1r wrote:

ffs, im always doing that :mad:
    the hunter becomes the hunted :o

actually it is by far my strongest subject :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Zoodlebop

My aunt is an english corrector and says that the ideal length for the paper 1 essay is around 1000 words. I only get 160 words per page, so that equates to about 6/7 pages. That is also plenty for Comparison and Lear, maybe with 200 words extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭River Allow

I wrote about three pages. I fit bout 300 words in a page so should be ok like! I hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Raphael wrote:

Balls:mad:

:| wrote:
    Balls:mad:
    Bishop too :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

Zoodlebop wrote:
    My aunt is an english corrector and says that the ideal length for the paper 1 essay is around 1000 words. I only get 160 words per page, so that equates to about 6/7 pages. That is also plenty for Comparison and Lear, maybe with 200 words extra.
    You must write like a monster! I get 300-400 words per page!

DonaldDuck wrote:
    You must write like a monster! I get 300-400 words per page!
    Yeah same here maybe even more phew I feel better now I wrote 3 1/2 I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Wrote 4 for the essay, 5 1/2 for Bishop (which was serious overkill but I was on a roll). I reckon the min you should be doing is 3 1/2 for the essay and 3 for the poetry - otherwise you'll be penalised for length.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

ThrownAway wrote:
    Yeah same here maybe even more phew I feel better now I wrote 3 1/2 I think
    I only got 3 :( I had no interest in the essays on it and made it very dificult to write on. Had intended on doing the speech but not the one that came up,I ended up doing it anyway but not well at all

Advertisement