Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass Maths paper 1 - Whatre the questions?

Options
  • 07-06-2006 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

Im a bit confused over whats on paper 1 and 2. As far as I know, I need to have a swift look over algebra and diffrentiation... Im always confused about whats on paper 1 and 2. Can someone get me up to speed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭michelle_ie

ok paper 1.... know ur deffrentiation, algerbra, complex numbers, series and sequences......
    and compound interest, gross income, tax credits, precentage error, ratio, etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Yeah there is alegbra and differentiation, also sequences and series arithmetic, functions, complex numbers and I think that's pretty much it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

And remember, you only need 120 marks outta each paper to pass ;) so thats 2 perfect questions, and one terrible one-which *seems* easy. :( Just try yer best, and attempt em all.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

anyone else get REALLY confused with the 1st Q????:( ne tips??pleeeeeeease:(

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭blahhh

And remember, you only need 120 marks outta each paper to pass ;) so thats 2 perfect questions, and one terrible one-which *seems* easy. :( Just try yer best, and attempt em all.

so if you do A & B in the questions well and not C, you could do well?

There is hope for me yet.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

anyone else get REALLY confused with the 1st Q????:( ne tips??pleeeeeeease:(
    i do!! it's supposed to be the easiest but whatever!!! :p i just do all the others instead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

i do!! it's supposed to be the easiest but whatever!!! :p i just do all the others instead

oh,oh,oh I hate question1 aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭willowmegs

and me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭michelle_ie

my advice is do question 7 first, then 5,4,1,2,3

or do ur best question first! just to ease into it and get some confidence in urself

wow...most of the people in my class love question 1! i'm so glad other people hate it too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

i HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE it!!!but i dunno which other ones to do ill do 2 3 6 8 and i think its 5 but i dont know what the others r even on!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

practically minded ppl love question one others hate it. i love em i end up doing it all in my head. cant figure out the questions that have more feckin letters than numbers though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭tinka

i despise question 1 and love love love calculus questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I like Calculus also!, but i fecking despise Linear Programming and probablility due
    to how unpredictable it CAN be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Lads! Quick question!

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2004/LC003GLP100EV.pdf

The standard rate of income tax is 20% and the higher rate is 42%.
    Orla has a gross income of 58000 for the year and the standard-rate-cut-off point of 35000

Calculate the amount of tax due at the normal rate

Does that want me to get the rate of tax on the whole 58000 at just 20%, or just the 35000? I'll never make an accountant thats for sure

mang87 wrote:
    Lads! Quick question!

The standard rate of income tax is 20% and the higher rate is 42%.
    Orla has a gross income of 58000 for the year and the standard-rate-cut-off point of 35000

Calculate the amount of tax due at the normal rate
    Does that want me to get the rate of tax on the whole 58000 at just 20%, or just the 35000? I'll never make an accountant thats for sure
    this is a question for kano!!

quick go slap him in the head /o\

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

u dont know that?? ... ok

35000 x .20% = 7000
    23000 x .42% = 9660 +
    Total taxable = 16660

Clear?

10 marks right there?

Shrimp wrote:

35000 x .20% = 7000
    23000 x .42% = 9660 +
    Total taxable = 16660

Clear?

Whats that 10 marks right there?

Is that not the gross tax for the year? it asks "Calculate the amount of tax due at the normal rate" yo

Shrimp wrote:

35000 x .20% = 7000
    23000 x .42% = 9660 +
    Total taxable = 16660

Clear?

10 marks right there?
    is that all that was??? all i saw was "tax" and i was like...AHH QUESTION 1!! STAY AWAY!! :):p

• Advertisement

Seriously Q1 is so easy.. do it.. u can get 30 marks with absolutely no study then maybe 5 more for an attempt mark on the C part..

Shrimp wrote:
    Seriously Q1 is so easy.. do it.. u can get 30 marks with absolutely no study then maybe 5 more for an attempt mark on the C part..
    i'll try it at the end!! i know i can get full marks in all the other questions so Q1 isn't such a loss to me!! ok i said i was going bout half an hour ago...this is aberc signing off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Tax questions are handy but i will never be an accountant:p
    I find Business really is the only useful subject along with maths in the whole system in referance to providing you with information you might use;)

easy.jpg

A)

240 X .025 = 6

B)

i)
    35000 x .20% = 7000

ii)
    35000 x .20% = 7000
    23000 x .42% = 9660 +
    Total taxable = 16660

iii)
    Total taxable = 16660 - 3400 = 13 260
    58,000 - 13260 = 44740

C)

i)
    2650 x 1.02 = 2 703

ii)
    2 650 x .85 = 2 252.50 ... 2 597 x .85 =2207.45

iii)
    2 703 X .85 = 2 297.55 ... 2297.55 - 2252.50 = 45.05

I might have messed up somewhere.. I'm tired..

Shrimp wrote:
    i)
    35000 x .20% = 7000

I might have messed up somewhere.. I'm tired..

aha I wasn't just going nuts, the 20% was just on the 35000, not the 58000. Now that's question 1 cleared up :D

On to question 2... ;)

**** it if I can get 100% on question 1, I should be able to pass by attempting the rest, right? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i'll just answer all the part (a)'s, answer a few part (b)'s and have a wild guess at a few (c)'s.

really couldnt be bothered with maths, in fact i might just get a's and b's done in an hour and then get out to study irish for a few :D

makes more sense to me.

mang87:

hmm try and do the complex numbers Q.. it's like basic algebra with a few lil rules.. also.. try seq. and series... hmm go here.. http://www.ncirl.ie/dynamic/File/math_revision06/MathRevision_arch.wax and just keep watching...

damn fantastic link there cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Zeuz

Shrimp wrote:
    mang87:

hmm try and do the complex numbers Q.. it's like basic algebra with a few lil rules.. also.. try seq. and series... hmm go here.. http://www.ncirl.ie/dynamic/File/math_revision06/MathRevision_arch.wax and just keep watching...

Awsome Link, I think I mgiht pass!! XD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Ballina boy

man any one get any tips on part 3 c on the pass paper[2004 paper 1]..its getton on my nervs.

Any links for help with 4 7 and 8??

Also which questions are regarded as the easiest?

Advertisement