Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb wifi Help

• 07-06-2006 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi I am seriously thinking of getting Digiweb metro (3mb).

The problem is I want a wifi network in the house to supply two computers.
    Digiweb don't offer a wifi router for metro.

Can I plug a wifi router ( that I would buy myself) straight into digwebs metro router hence creating a wifi network.

This would mean I could have the phone in the living room along with the two routers and have the two computers left in the bedrooms.

Can I do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

You can technically connect any form of router, WIFI or not and it will work. Set it up to automatically get DHCP etc from the WAN side and do your internal LAN as per normal using Wireless as you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

As Chaz said and he is the Digiweb man to ask....I have it setup and its perfect...And highly recommend it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

As Chaz said and he is the Digiweb man to ask....I have it setup and its perfect...And highly recommend it
    Sub one minute wifi network setup, impressive ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

I have it done here with a wireless router and works fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jimbob

Suppose I might trot ahead it with that now.
    Thanks for your help. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The metro adaptor is a modem. It does no routing/firewall.

Any Non-ADSL "NAT Router"/Firewall will work. I use a Dlink DI624M (there is an ADSL version too, this model has an Ethernet WAN port instead of ADSL port). It has 4 Ethernet ports for LAN and MIMO 108Mbps wifi. A PS2 with network module is static IP in its DMZ and we have a LAN with server, 5 PCs and three WiFi Laptops and a WiFi "internet radio" all running on the system. VPN and ports for games and Skype video etc all 100% fine too.

Linksys, Netgear etc are good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

I Got a Linksys WRT54G and have never really had any problems.

Advertisement