Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearwire *ahem* "Boradband"

• 07-06-2006 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Ok, seriously... Are they for real? I dunno where to start. How about downloads never getting faster than 20kbps off online servers? Is this happening everyone with Clearwire? Today they rang me in work to say they'd be disconnecting me until the morning because i was overusing my always on service... Granted, i was running p2p software and left it on but still, their servers dont even run at full capacity. That or we're all being ripped off... I've been told time and again that the servers will be fixed "within 2 weeks" and i will have full speed then. Not a chance! What are my options? Am i covered by law to send back the modem and demand a full refund of my 2 months thus far? I heard if a telecommunications product is not as described you're entitled to a refund. This is seriously below par... Of course, every time i ask to speak to a manager he has just stepped out or something and i cant vent at a customer service operator, its nothing to do with him/her. Options, people? If i'm covered by law (without referencing the cut-off today because i was running p2p and i could get done for that! just stick to the poor speed and general unreliability) i'd appreciate a quote of the passage in case i need it when i ring them! Thanks!

edit: uhm, lol, misspelt broadband in the title! self-pwnage!

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Legally, if you are using p2p, you are breaking their t&c's, so you'd have no comeback.

Just a few questions,

where are you using it?
    what servers are you downloading from?
    How much of your Cap did you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Mine was grand and giving good speeds but then just today about 10am or so it slowed RIGHT down. I can't even load gmail now, its like dial-up or worse.. dont know whats going on.

Havent been using p2p but may have gone over the cap on easynews... dont know though, do they provide a checker to see what volumes have been d/l'd ?

Gonna give them a shout first thing tommorow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

when you go over your download cap they limit your speed to dialup speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭geecee

I don't believe that they Ban P2P in Clearwires T&Cs....
    They just say that it is not allowed to use applications which may have a detrimental affect on their network (ie. anuything but not defined)

I also got a phone call in work last week to say they had switched off my modem for running P2P and uploading too much!

Now my VoIP is gone to pot and Torrents are gone completely...
    When i called about the VoIP they said it was a "database" issue and there was something wrong with my account on their "database"

The next re-boot of the modem fixed the issus...
    Still no torrents though...

NM do you get good download speeds from easy news>? My NNTP traffic seems limited on CW...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Kazu wrote:
    when you go over your download cap they limit your speed to dialup speed

Ah, so not much of a difference from Clearwire's usual apalling service :-)

antodeco wrote:
    Legally, if you are using p2p, you are breaking their t&c's, so you'd have no comeback.

Legally, they're supposed to provide a broadband service. They don't. I don't think a judge in the land would take Clearsh*te's side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Well, i just started my second month so download caps are not the issue... it has been this slow since i got it. I'm in rathmines and there's very little around here, i'm trying to sort something out with magnet... If i can i may need to quote the law that covers me for a refund because regardless of what software i'm running their speed is nowhere near "as described", i read it somewhere but cant remember where... I'm sure it said if its not as described i'm entitled to a refund and if enough people write to the ombudsman about it there'll be an investigation and if they cant run at the speeds they claim they can be shut down. I dunno what servers i'm downloading from... Limewire wont work for me, Morpheus just about works and anything else i use is online servers... what pisses me off is when they turned off my modem on me Lost episodes 23 and 24 were at 75% and i'm dying to see what happens!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Don't worry, I'm sure those episodes will be on television sooner or later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I had enough, I'm sending my ClearWire modem back tommorrow and instruct them in writing not longer to take money from my card.

The last 2 weeks no VoIP due to upload stream problems, no streaming video faster than a modem connection, SkyBroadband does not work, surfing after `1800 becomes worse than with a DialUp and VPN connections drop faster than I can click to reconnect.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

i was thinking about doing the same but dont if you havent already, they will attempt to charge you an early termination fee of €120... the f*ckers just disconnected me for thew whole weekend because of a "misunderstanding" and the person who can reconnect me had already left. i'm ringing them on monday and if i dont get satisfaction i'm going to the ombudsman... meanwhile i shall consult my friends dad who is a solicitor about my rights... watch this space!

Advertisement