Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depth of fence post foundation

Options
  • 07-06-2006 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

I need to build a 50 foot fence around a lenght of my garden. I was hoping to construct a hit and miss panel fence approx 6-7 feet high. I will be using some 5x3 for the posts and I was wondering if anyone could recommend how far to dig the post hole for the cement foundation? I am getting some mixed opinions from 18" to 48"???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Azzeretti,

Check out this webpage on paving expert.com - should have all your answers .

Mod's maybe we could have a sticky with some usefull links like paving expert.com and so on .. think i have quoted this site 2 or 3 times in the last week !

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Hi,

18 inches is the standard depth for fence post they usually come just short of 8 foot long so hey presto. Only sink them 36 inches if it is to hang a gate (I mean a farm gate here)

Eddie

• Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Have a look here
    Might help a little

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Hi all,

Was reading the last thread on this topic, why is everyone so paranoid about their posts rotting, you should only be using tanalised posts and they will last for about 20-25 years. Look at the fence by the motorway or any farmers field those posts are just banged into the ground no concrete nothing and bobs your uncle.

As regards not filling concrete all the way to the top of the hole I should have said to fill this off with soil obviously you do not leave a great big hole for water to collect.

As a general rule of thumb posts up on one day panels the next. If you are nailing in the panels worth hiring a nail gun not to save effort but rather stops you beating the hell out of the posts and moving them otherwise screw in panels
    Eddie

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Azzeretti,

Check out this webpage on paving expert.com - should have all your answers .

Mod's maybe we could have a sticky with some usefull links like paving expert.com and so on .. think i have quoted this site 2 or 3 times in the last week !
    Its in the pipeline :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

good man delly

Advertisement