Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with wireless 11G usb adapter

• 07-06-2006 11:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

I'm having a problem with a Netgear wireless adapter on my PC (WinXP Pro SP2, latest drivers installed). The PC can connect to my home wireless network but it won't connect to the internet (ISP is IBB). The wireless adapter works fine on my other PC. I have had similar problems with other adapters on this PC (i.e. connects to network, won't connect to internet) so its probably a PC setting that needs changing. I've tried using windows wireless config and Netgears software with no joy.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Does indeed sound like a PC setting if adapter works fine elsewhere,etc.

Can you connect adapter to wireless network and then post the output of "ipconfig /all" here please?

(Start->run->cmd. Then type "ipconfig /all")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Thanks for the reply.

Heres the ipconfig output.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : COMP1
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WG111v2 54Mbps Wireless USB
    2.0 Adapter #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 0C-0E-A5-D3-89-07
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.26
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, June 08, 2006 12:24:10 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, June 08, 2006 12:24:03 PM

That all looks fine. Have you any firewall software installed? Norton Internet Security etc?

Have you mac filtering or encryption (WEP, WPA) on? Maybe turn these off to see if they are causing the problem.

Open a command prompt again and try these three commands in turn:

1) ping 192.168.1.1
    2) ping 82.195.136.250
    3)ping boards.ie

You should get "Reply from....." each time but let us know if any of them come back with "Request timed out".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

It sounds like your default route might not go through the router. At a DOS prompt type ROUTE PRINT and post the response here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Jilm wrote:
    I'm having a problem with a Netgear wireless adapter on my PC (WinXP Pro SP2, latest drivers installed). The PC can connect to my home wireless network but it won't connect to the internet (ISP is IBB). The wireless adapter works fine on my other PC. I have had similar problems with other adapters on this PC (i.e. connects to network, won't connect to internet) so its probably a PC setting that needs changing. I've tried using windows wireless config and Netgears software with no joy.

Thanks for any help.

You need to check ur IBB settings are correct also. Use the ping function thatll be buried soewhere in the routers management menus.

IBB require you to enter all those addresses they give you on that piece of paper in to ur router.

I have manged to enter these wrong once myself.

• Advertisement

irlrobins wrote:
    That all looks fine. Have you any firewall software installed? Norton Internet Security etc?
    Nope, disabled the firewalls first off trying to fix it, with no change.
    Have you mac filtering or encryption (WEP, WPA) on? Maybe turn these off to see if they are causing the problem.
    Turned off encryption early on trying to fix it, no joy.
    Open a command prompt again and try these three commands in turn:

1) ping 192.168.1.1
    2) ping 82.195.136.250
    3)ping boards.ie

You should get "Reply from....." each time but let us know if any of them come back with "Request timed out".
    They all timed out, 'cept for boards.ie which couldn't find the host.

Thanks for the reply.

Foxwood wrote:
    It sounds like your default route might not go through the router. At a DOS prompt type ROUTE PRINT and post the response here.
    Here's the output..
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>route print
    ===========================================================================
    Interface List
    0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
    0x10003 ...0C-0E-A5-D3-89-07 ...... NETGEAR WG111v2 54Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adap
    ter #2 - Packet Scheduler Miniport
    Active Routes:
    Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
    0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.26 25
    127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
    192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.26 192.168.1.26 25
    192.168.1.26 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 25
    192.168.1.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.26 192.168.1.26 25
    224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 192.168.1.26 192.168.1.26 25
    255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.26 192.168.1.26 1
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    Persistent Routes:
    None

NutJob wrote:
    You need to check ur IBB settings are correct also. Use the ping function thatll be buried soewhere in the routers management menus.

IBB require you to enter all those addresses they give you on that piece of paper in to ur router.
    All IBB settings entered correctly in the router, as I said it works fine on my other PC.

Thanks for the replies, lads.

Jilm wrote:

Turned off encryption early on trying to fix it, no joy.

They all timed out, 'cept for boards.ie which couldn't find the host.

Thanks for the reply.
    If the ping to 192.168.1.1 timed out, then you're not talking to the router - which would be odd if you got a DHCP address from it.
    You said in your original post that you can connect to your home wireless network - what did you mean by that?

Foxwood wrote:
    If the ping to 192.168.1.1 timed out, then you're not talking to the router - which would be odd if you got a DHCP address from it.
    You said in your original post that you can connect to your home wireless network - what did you mean by that?
    The icon in the taskbar says it is connected to the network, though the number of packets sent is very low.

• Advertisement

Jilm wrote:
    The icon in the taskbar says it is connected to the network, though the number of packets sent is very low.
    Well, the fact that you've got a DHCP response would also suggest that you're connected, but the fact that you can't ping the router would suggest that you're not connected. Definitely something odd there.

Have you tried plugging t into a different USB port? (I see it's marked as USB Adapter #2, which suggests you have, but it's worth checking). And is the USB port USB 2.0 or USB 1.1? It shouldn't matter, but then, it shouldn't be giving you problems either.

Jilm wrote:
    What firewall did you disable? Windows Firewall? If you have something like Zone Alarm installed, you might have to uninstall it, not just disable it.

Foxwood wrote:
    What firewall did you disable? Windows Firewall? If you have something like Zone Alarm installed, you might have to uninstall it, not just disable it.
    Yup, already uninstalled the firewall (symantec) and disabled windows firewall.

USB is 2.0, already tried the adapter on both USB ports.

Very perplexing :confused:

Foxwood wrote:
    Definitely something odd there.
    Agreed

Advertisement