Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

18" alloys on a golf

Options
  • 07-06-2006 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I'm getting a new golf sportline 1.4 this week. The plan has always been to put 18" audi rs8's on it but the dealer is doing his best to put me off. I don't understand this. The GTI has 18's and I have seen other golfs on 18's. Are they just airing on the side of caution.
    Also I'm planning on getting the wheels from england www.rochfordtyres.co.uk They do the rs8's for 595. Anyone know of a better deal? Anyone used this company before? I could get 17" alloys but I dont think they'll fill the arches on a mark v.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The GTi has a different suspension set up than a 1.4 litre Golf.

If you put 17" alloys on and get the suspension lowered with new springs the 17" alloys will fill the arches better.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Why do you want 18" alloys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Anan1 wrote:
    Why do you want 18" alloys?

because he wants, higher fuel costs, higher tyre costs, louder road noise and a slower car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

and a slower car.

Myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The GTI has bigger arches than the standard golf, check and see if they fit first. Perhaps a slightly smaller wheel and lowering of the suspension, might look better?

and a slower car.
    Big Balls wrote:
    Myth.

He's right by my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

because he wants, higher fuel costs, higher tyre costs, louder road noise and a slower car.

Ive had 18's on a 1.4 and the only one out of that list i had was higher tyre prices.I presume he wants them for styling,ive seen 19" wheels on 1.4 golfs aswell as them being lowered 40mil so id have no concerns going with 18's if you want them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Big Balls wrote:
    Myth.

If you increase the circumference, or if the tyre is wider then the rolling resistance will be greater!

Big Balls wrote:
    Myth.

the laws of physics are a myth are they...

that's a new one on me and the rest of the world... time for one of us to go back to school...

and what about resistance and fuel cost again simple physics
    and road noise WILL increase with the size of the tyre more simple physics
    and the bigger the tyre the more expensive it is... now that simple economics

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

As far as I know there is a legal requirement to flare the arches for the 18"s. Something about it mentioned on the Golf Brouchure.

I had 17's on my olf MK5 1.4, looked smart will try and dig out a couple photos:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

the laws of physics are a myth are they...

LOL, was going to post something very similar. What an opt-out, Big Balls, to call anything one doesn't understand a myth, a miracle or faith for that matter...

About speed (or acceleration rather) it is fairly straight forward. Going from the 16" Golf alloys to the 18" RS8 alloys, I'd imagine the inertia (tendency of the wheel not to move from standstill) in the bigger wheel is higher, and also the weight of the wheels is higher. Wider wheels increase friction (between the tyre and the road). All these factors reduce acceleration

In a high power vehicle, the car might have too much power for the size of the tyres, preventing efficient traction. In that case a wider tyre might increase acceleration. This is hardly the case in a 75BHP Golf. The 16" are more than plenty for the available power

All of the above applies to straight line acceleration on a horizontal load. Things get more complicated talking about handling on non-straight roads as many other factors such as suspension and unsprung weight (generally not a good idea to increase that one) come in to play

And as others said, there are many other disadvantages of having bigger, wider low-profile tyres

BTW the GTI has 17" alloys. 18" are not a VW option. Big wheels might look good, but there is a lot to say against them, especially with the state of the roads in this country. I have low-profile 18" alloys myself.

unkel wrote:
    BTW the GTI has 17" alloys. 18" are not a VW option. Big wheels might look good, but there is a lot to say against them, especially with the state of the roads in this country. I have low-profile 18" alloys myself.

I asked about 18" from my VW dealer and was quoted €810.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

If I can give any advice, dont go for the 1.4. it is so slow. so slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

I've 18" rs4's on a 2.0 gti - the 1.4 couldn't handle these...the anti-roll bar bushes need replacing, as they suspension is getting the sh*t knocked out of by the wheels...I'm cringe every time I got over a bump in the road, and in this country there are lots of bumps - even on bloody motorways...

unkel wrote:
    BTW the GTI has 17" alloys. 18" are not a VW option.

That's funny.. I must've imagined VW giving me 18" wheels on my GTI from the factory so while you're quick to try and incorrectly contradict somebody, check out your own facts first.

And I'm sorry lads, I didn't say any laws of physics were wrong. If you go for genuine lightweight wheels and the right profile of tyre, the car will not be slower. You can get 225 17" tyres and you can get 225 18" tyres.

The arches are also not any bigger on a GTI. It's a normal production car, VW are not going to make the arches bigger than the rest of the Golf range.

The extra cost of 18" tyres over 17" ones is not as big as some people make out. I paid €235 for an 18" tyre a few weeks ago.

thewing wrote:
    I'm cringe every time I got over a bump in the road, and in this country there are lots of bumps - even on bloody motorways...

And that's bumps. I nearly cry anytime I hit a pot hole. In nearly 2.5 years of bump hole-avoiding driving on the 18s, I've burst only one tyre in a deep pot hole, but when (not if) it happens, it is bloody expensive and inconvenient
    mrbungle wrote:
    I asked about 18" from my VW dealer and was quoted €810.

Interesting. It is not on the option list on VWs website, but I suppose you could stick on wheels from other models

Big Balls wrote:
    That's funny.. I must've imagined VW giving me 18" wheels on my GTI from the factory so while you're quick to try and incorrectly contradict somebody, check out your own facts first

Fact

I couldn't give a sh1te if they're not on the website!

They are on the VW pricelist in dealers and they are attached to my f**king car parked outside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just admit that you are wrong for once.

Big Balls wrote:
    And I'm sorry lads, I didn't say any laws of physics were wrong. If you go for genuine lightweight wheels and the right profile of tyre, the car will not be slower.

Yes it will. No matter how light the larger wheels & tyres are, increasing wheel & tyre size will increase both rolling resistance & aerodynamic drag. The car will therefore be slower.

Isn't is just AMAZING that some of the best performance cars in the world (Ferraris, 911 Turbos, GT3s, Aston Martins, Continental GTs) all come with 18" and 19" wheels!

• Advertisement

Big Balls wrote:
    Isn't is just AMAZING that some of the best performance cars in the world (Ferraris, 911 Turbos, GT3s, Aston Martins, Continental GTs) all come with 18" and 19" wheels!

Performance cars have many features to improve grip at the expense of speed - big wheels & tyres and spoilers being the most obvious. The cars you mention need the extra grip, and have the power to overcome the disadvantages of the larger wheels & tyres in terms of both aerodynamic drag & rolling resistance. Neither is true of a 1.4 Golf.

unkel wrote:
    Interesting. It is not on the option list on VWs website, but I suppose you could stick on wheels from other models

I missed getting 18"s on my GTI as I tried to change my order too late, build was firmed up and VW have issues changing orders at the last minute.

18"s are available, 1 of the reasons why I was thinking about it was because for 4 18" tyres alone, would cost more than €810 then lob in the alloys on top !!

You'd pay through the nose if it was a non-option that you'd have to buy elsewhere.

Also, there are a couple of webpages with free delivery for cheap 17"s and 18"s as discussed here before.

Big Balls wrote:

wohahahah hahaha hahah... is this guy for real? and he says his into cars..hehehe

me thinks we are dealing with a little rev head with posters of all those cars he mentioned on his bedroom wall in his mother house...
    and knows nothing about power to weight ratios, torque and bhp...
    now run along "bigballs" (sorry for laughing) this is for adults.

Yeh that's it you t*at.

Seeing as you're so 'adult', you came back with a very adult reply.

So you've heard of power to weight, what in the name of jaysus has that got to do with 17" Vs 18" wheels??

You might want to look at your own credentials as a car enthusiast and stop using words you've heard down the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

Children Children... Calm it down a bit This is a civilised forum.. Let's all agree to get along now shall we! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

i reckon this thread is about to be closed so i might be better off starting a new thread than asking here:

I have 1.6 Focus Zetec. Currently i have the stock 15" Ford Alloys.

I was thinking of getting a set of 17"s. The one thing that's held me back is that i do a lot of miles weekly and get around 37MPG.

Would increasing the wheels to 17" affect the fuel cosumption greatly?

Not enough to warrant not getting them no...

You may notice a drop of 1 or 2 mpg but you're probably getting low 40s anyway so it's not going to kill you.

I'd take a pinch of salt with what the "men in the white coats" have said earlier in the thread in terms of the real world.

quarryman wrote:
    i reckon this thread is about to be closed so i might be better off starting a new thread than asking here:

I have 1.6 Focus Zetec. Currently i have the stock 15" Ford Alloys.

I was thinking of getting a set of 17"s. The one thing that's held me back is that i do a lot of miles weekly and get around 37MPG.

Would increasing the wheels to 17" affect the fuel cosumption greatly?

Assuming that the overall diameter of the new wheels & tyres is the same as that of the old, I can't see that it would. That said, 17" alloys are a lot more hassle than 15" on our roads. Unless you're really bothered about what other people think of your car, I'd suggest spending your money elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Anan1 wrote:
    Assuming that the overall diameter of the new wheels & tyres is the same as that of the old, I can't see that it would. That said, 17" alloys are a lot more hassle than 15" on our roads. Unless you're really bothered about what other people think of your car, I'd suggest spending your money elsewhere.

point taken but its not so much what others think so much as it is what i think :)

another issue i have is "kerbing" them. I've done it once or twice on the ones i have right now and its not too bad since i didn't buy them separately but still...

I hate to do it on an 800 euro set.

I may consider just getting a new car when i have the cash. I'd love a TDI in the Focus but feel like a change in car too...

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote:
    point taken but its not so much what others think so much as it is what i think :)

another issue i have is "kerbing" them. I've done it once or twice on the ones i have right now and its not too bad since i didn't buy them separately but still...

I hate to do it on an 800 euro set.

I may consider just getting a new car when i have the cash. I'd love a TDI in the Focus but feel like a change in car too...

Sounds sensible to me.

Advertisement