Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The World Cup!! Awwww!!

Options
  • 08-06-2006 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

People are getting very excited about this World Cup starting on Friday.
    I'm sure there are various events, gatherings, celebrations and things heralding in this spherically-obsessed sport around town.
    Now, don't get me wrong its a wonderful event, and captures the imagination of virtually the entire planet, but....well....it's football.

What can UCD non footy-fan people resort to in order to amuse themselves for the next few weeks until the scoring is over and the balls are put away for another 4 years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

7431roC wrote:
    People are getting very excited about this World Cup starting on Friday.

justified!

7431roC wrote:
    I'm sure there are various events, gatherings, celebrations and things heralding in this spherically-obsessed sport around town.

Nope, everything else stops until its over and until Rooney brings the cup home for England :D

7431roC wrote:
    What can UCD non footy-fan people resort to in order to amuse themselves for the next few weeks until the scoring is over and the balls are put away for another 4 years?

use your heads and watch the greatest thing there is! and by the way, there is a new football season beginning only a matter of weeks after the WC is over and there are the Euro's to come in 2008 in Switzerland/Austria....what a sport!!

In summary, football rules - so just watch and enjoy it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

If the ball ain't oval I don't want to know about it. Its all about the southern hemisphere test games this summer.

Egg chasin is nowhere near as good as football, i love a good bit of rugby but its not a patch on football!

I prefer to watch a sport where the team don't suddenly start collapsing all over the pitch when the wind nudges past that of a slight breeze.
    'LE REF LE FOUL ON MI KNEE-A!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 7431roC

Sangre wrote:
    If the ball ain't oval I don't want to know about it.

Roll on saturday and New Zealand :) My flatmate is quite into the football so it'll be hard to avoid it here. :) Ah well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Sangre wrote:
    'LE REF LE FOUL ON MI KNEE-A!!'
    Gotta love the Welsh egg-chasers, eh? :rolleyes:

7431roC wrote:
    Roll on saturday and New Zealand :) My flatmate is quite into the football so it'll be hard to avoid it here. :) Ah well...
    Oh its ON! Best chance to beat them we'll have in a long time. Canada v Scotland is on now on Sky aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 7431roC

..there is a new football season beginning only a matter of weeks after the WC is over and there are the Euro's to come in 2008 in Switzerland/Austria

I can see advantages to all this footy, means I am less likely to sit in front of the telly and more likely to keep up my running. But that's all it's good for!!

And maybe for getting people time off work to watch some matches. But that's definitely it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

The rugby/football double header will have to occur. I have to sort out a TV in work though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

p_larkin99 wrote:
    by the way, there is a new football season beginning only a matter of weeks after the WC is over
    You're mixing us up with an english university. After the World Cup break the football season restarts on Friday 23rd June away to Pat's.

• Advertisement

John_C wrote:
    You're mixing us up with an english university. After the World Cup break the football season restarts on Friday 23rd June away to Pat's.

No im not mate...i think you'll find the majority of people (in UCD and Ireland too) will regard the start of THE football season being in August. there is minimal interest in the Irish league and more people will support an English team over an Irish one! It's absolutely nothing to do with an English university!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

7431roC wrote:

Is that not what Big Brother was invented for ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

p_larkin99 wrote:
    No im not mate...i think you'll find the majority of people (in UCD and Ireland too) will regard the start of THE football season being in August. there is minimal interest in the Irish league and more people will support an English team over an Irish one! It's absolutely nothing to do with an English university!!

and you'll find the vast majority of them will be willing England to crash out at the first hurdle or for Rooney to break his foot again because ITS THE THING TO DO LOIKE!!11!! *

* Irish football fans.... probably the worst in the world

I can't stand this complaining about ''too much footy on the TV'' whenever the World Cup or Euro 2004 occurs...... if you don't want to watch... DON'T! Jeez the amount of crap soaps or reality tv should warrant that sort of complaining. (gotta love complaining about people complaining!) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Okay World Cup, its gonna be exciting hopefully I'll see all the matches on the TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Poor Student

p_larkin99 wrote:
    there is minimal interest in the Irish league and more people will support an English team over an Irish one!

You're completely correct and I agree with you. The "Irish League" being the Northern Irish league, people have very little interest in it down here.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

UCD ENTS have the world Cup showing in D2 with pints of Becks 3 euro and everyone at the bar will be able to get in the club afterwards.

You're completely correct and I agree with you. The "Irish League" being the Northern Irish league, people have very little interest in it down here.;)

Bloody technicalities :)

You know the point that i was making though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

bah football , how very conventional. :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: actually the only problem I have is the British Nation's obsession with the thing that looks like some sort of abnormal caveman called Rooney and his misses who also resembles a caveman. Surely if their hopes of winning the world cup rest soley on the ankles of one mullah then the team itself cant really be that good. For example:

Sky News : Breaking News: Rooney Takes a Dump 24 hour coverage here on sky sports.

This made no sense, rant over

Grimes wrote:
    bah football , how very conventional. :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: actually the only problem I have is the British Nation's obsession with the thing that looks like some sort of abnormal caveman called Rooney and his misses who also resembles a caveman. Surely if their hopes of winning the world cup rest soley on the ankles of one mullah then the team itself cant really be that good. For example:

Sky News : Breaking News: Rooney Takes a Dump 24 hour coverage here on sky sports.

This made no sense, rant over

Yeah, you've really hit the nail on the head there :rolleyes:

It's England's press obsession (i assure you it would be the same in Brazil with Ronaldinho, has been in Italy with Totti's injury), we're just a football mad nation!

He may look like a caveman but he's an unreal players, and England need him as he offers the but of magic that is likely to be needed to win this WC...neways...don't want to turn this into a football (or "soccer") forum!

Advertisement