Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static IP...which ISP

• 08-06-2006 12:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for an fixed line broadband provider that offers a static IP, has anyone any ideas on who is the best ISP for this?? I have one with clearwire but the connection keeps dropping so i need a fixed line supply.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Hi,
    I'm looking for an fixed line broadband provider that offers a static IP, has anyone any ideas on who is the best ISP for this?? I have one with clearwire but the connection keeps dropping so i need a fixed line supply.
    Why do you need a static IP?

Most of the time when people think they need one, they're wrong. (Sometimes they're right).

It has been reported that Eircom will provide one for a once off charge, on at least some of their packages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Hi,
    I'm looking for an fixed line broadband provider that offers a static IP, has anyone any ideas on who is the best ISP for this??
    Dunno which is best but Netsource has this on all packages AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Hi,

thanks
    I'm sure it's not what you're after, but I haven't been charged for static IP ranges on eircom's €169 package on a few installs now. Subject to RIPE application, they'll give what you can justify (or just a single IP if desired).

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Eircom give one for a once off fee.
    UTV give one for an extra monthly fee (5 euro p/m I think).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Both BT Business & Smart Business packages provide static IP's at no extra cost, unlike the eircom packages....and their cheaper :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Same with Imagine broadband. Fixed IP comes as standard and cheaper than Eircom. Been using the service for a few months and no complaints. So handy to be able to VNC into your home machines.

kaizersoze wrote:
    Eircom give one for a once off fee.
    UTV give one for an extra monthly fee (5 euro p/m I think).
    That's not allowed by RIPEs rules - they're allowed charge a once off administrative cost for setup, but they can't charge "rent" for an IP address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

thanks for the info lads! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Irish Broadband give out static IPs aswell...but i'd hazard a guess and say they arent the best.

The_B_Man wrote:
    Irish Broadband give out static IPs aswell...but i'd hazard a guess and say they arent the best.
    They don't do "fixed line broadband" either, which the OP specifically asked about.

• Advertisement

wingnut wrote:
    Same with Imagine broadband. Fixed IP comes as standard and cheaper than Eircom.

Cool. Is it a routable IP or a private (e.g. 192.168.1.*) IP you get?
    Foxwood wrote:
    That's not allowed by RIPEs rules - they're allowed charge a once off administrative cost for setup, but they can't charge "rent" for an IP address.
    True, but they can charge recurring admin charges. RIPE don't want people profiting off IP addresses, which is more than fair, but there's a very thin line between recurring admin costs and profiting. Other companies (and data centres, and the like) charge recurring admin charges. I don't like the idea either.

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

I have one on my digiweb package
    About €40 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

Hi,

thanks
    With Eircom's "Broadband Business Starter" package you get one static IP address as part of the package, i.e. no extra charge. Details below:

Monthy rental - €45 (ex VAT)
    Download / upload speeds - 3M/384k*
    Connection:
    Self install - FREE**
    Full install - €81.81 (ex VAT)
    Modem - FREE - wifi modem
    Allowance:
    Download - 40G per month
    Time - Unlimited
    Excess usage charge - 1c (ex VAT) per MB
    Webspace - 200MB
    IP Allocated Dynamic/Static (1)
    Email - Unlimited
    Security - Firewall
    Contract - 6 Months
    Support number - 1890 260 260

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 TheToast

cgarvey wrote:
    Cool. Is it a routable IP or a private (e.g. 192.168.1.*) IP you get?

Private IPs are no business of your ISP. Once it's behind the router, they don't know about it. Take as many IPs as you like on your LAN. In fact, the router will keep on making up new ones as you add devices. Your ISP will give you external static IPs, since that's what they'll see on their side of the network.

Personally, I don't think anyone needs static IPs once you can get a dynamic host. I've been using dyndns.org for ages and it's never failed me. I have a client installed on a computer at home that keeps the dyndns record up to date with my current IP and then I can access the network at home from anywhere.

TheToast wrote:
    Private IPs are no business of your ISP.
    Not true, I'm afraid. Many GBSs and IBB used to (do they still?) operate by using private nets behind their bases.
    TheToast wrote:
    Personally, I don't think anyone needs static IPs once you can get a dynamic host.
    Again, no true. It might be argued that most residential users don't need one, but many teleworkers will (VPNs with embedded IP info), and a lot of small biz do (running exchange server of it, etc.). Low TTL DNS isn't the solution for everyone.

.cg

Advertisement