Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging you to unsubscribe?

Options
  • 08-06-2006 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭

I'm amazed that a forum I visited charges its members if they wish to leave the forum.
    Can they do this? And no, I don't have a membership!

Here's part of their T&Cs
    Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed above. ********.net emails its members once a week about forum topics from the previous week, if you wish not to receive these emails go your User CP when you register and untick the "Receive Email from Administrators" box in the Options section. We also from time to time email ALL members about special offers, competitions & other updates on the forum. Please note if you wish to be removed from the forum there will be a €1 charge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

That sounds a bit dodge. It was probably in the T+C's on sign up?

Is it a reputable site, big user base, big company?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

cormie wrote:
    That sounds a bit dodge. It was probably in the T+C's on sign up?

Is it a reputable site, big user base, big company?

Yes, seems to be in T&Cs at sign up.
    It's that scammer's site, the one who keeps getting banned on boards, so not a reputable site really. That's why the link was starred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Mark_T_147

Of course they cant charge you to leave for God's sake...

There's no contract because there was no consideration (i.e. somethin that changed hands to enforce the contract) and therefore the fee can't be imposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

is there anything to stop you just abandoning the account? rather than officially unsubscribing? Or do they spam you as well and you have to pay to get off that?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

Sounds to me that the site is selling a permission email mailing service to third parties. The €1 is there to try to persuade people to stay subscribed, so that the site has a larger number of subscribers to its mailing list. The bigger the list of subscribers, the more money they get from the advertisers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The Data Protection act prevents them from charging you to be removed from a mass-mailing list, which is essentially what this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Er...how would he charge you?
    What's the site?

http://phon(delete_this_part)expo.net/showthread.php?t=1367

Someone wants to leave and he seems to be asking them for 1e to his paypal a/c.

He's free to charge €1 for account deletion. But if someone asks him to stop using their email address to be mailed, then he is required to remove them.

Of course, most people don't know this, and if you attempted to post it on his forum, he'd just delete the topic. He's a scumbag.

I wonder would the Data protection commissioner be interested in this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

this fecker spammed my petrol pumps sites as well. the only person ever to do so!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Lest the thread be deleted :D . I take it that the admin has no real issues with it or he would have deleted it by now .

People always seem to forget to read the T&Cs in FULL and to change their email addresses im the user control panel . Aw well.

http://********.net/showthread.php?t=1367

Post 1 (little rude bits snipped)

1) I only registered on this crap site to download some drivers, only to find out you have to be registered for 30-days before you can download attachments..... Daaawwwww, wake up... what happened? Did you just steal this server from the back of a car in the square and decide to start a website?

2) I checked the option to not receive any mails, and I receive a mail from this site daily!!!! SPAMMERS!!!

3) I contacted them to remove me from their mailing list as I was still receiving messages after selecting the option not to. All I received was this!

Hi,

If you are having any forum issues please take them to the 'FEEDBACK' section.

Thank you,

Patrick Murphy

Tallaght
    Dublin 24
    Ireland

Office: 01 414 68 90
    Mobile: 087 205 70 96

4) Again I sent a mail stating that I wanted to stop receiving mails from this site as I had originally requested and I got this message:

Hi,

It is €1 to have your account removed from the forum, you can make payment to XXX@XXX

Thank you,

Patrick Murphy

Tallaght
    Dublin 24
    Ireland

MY ADVICE TO ANYONE CONSIDERING REGISTERING ON THIS SITE IS NOT TO. THIS SITE IS MORE INTERESTED IN SPAM THAN OFFERING A SERVICE.

AVOID THIS SITE

Post 2
    Hi sullivandm,

Welcome to the forum.

I see you manged to get to the feedback section. In the next few minutes your account will be banned for your threats via email & your spamming of my email account !

It clearly states in the register page (which you agreed too);

Quote:

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed above. ********.net emails its members once a week about forum topics from the previous week, if you wish not to receive these emails go your User CP when you register and untick the "Receive Email from Administrators" box in the Options section. We also from time to time email ALL members about special offers, competitions & other updates on the forum. Please note if you wish to be removed from the forum there will be a €1 charge. If you agree to these terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.
    Although the administrators and moderators of ********.net will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of ********.net, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.
    By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violate of any laws.
    The owners of ********.net - "Give your mobile a better life" reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

So as I've said already if you would like your account removed it will be €1.

Thread Closed !
    Ireland

Web: www.********.net
    Web: www.***************.net
    Forum: www.********.net/index.php
    Email: [email]info@********.net[/email]

Registered in Ireland with CRO no. 270414

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ahhh now I know what site your reffering to, the owner of it is a bloody muppet and is probably in his late teens I'd imagine, scum of the earth imho

If somebody's bored they could try taking this lad to small claims court? or something as he's breaking the law and his T&C's aren't worth **** :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Its a data protection issue surely, the man (lad) has not registered his database with dataprivacy.ie has he ???? . They could even shut him down after raiding him :D

see

http://www.dataprivacy.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/register/default.asp?mypage=94&kw=

and

http://www.dataprivacy.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/register/default.asp?mypage=93&kw=

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

interestingly the forum on that site currently has a vbulletin message saying:

"getting rid of spammers :D brb"

I'm sure the Carphone Warehouse would also be interested in his tagline....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

the CRO registration number is for a company that dissolved in 1998 , shall we try and **** with this site from another way lads

.....cue evil laugh.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

or you could wenzel him!

skink wrote:
    or you could wenzel him!

weenzeellll ??????????????????

that's a bit harsh I think.. that could ruin him and his family when I think he just needs a slap on the wrist.

• Advertisement

if your going to operate using a dissolved companyies registration number to appear legit your kinda asking for it in the first place

crime...time etc etc

yeah but he's probably just some punk kid as they call them.

Nah, he's not a teenager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jeem

miju wrote:
    the CRO registration number is for a company that dissolved in 1998 , shall we try and **** with this site from another way lads

Not so, that is a limited company number you are looking at, which in fairness is what most people would assume it is.
    The number he has listed is his Registered Business Name (RBN) number as supplied by the Companies Registration Office (CRO). He probably registered as a sole trader to carry out business under that name, as is required by law.

From www.cro.ie/search:
    ================
    Type: Business Name
    Number: 270414
    Name: PHO***PO
    Address: xxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxx
    DUBLIN 24

================

jeem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

cormie wrote:
    that's a bit harsh I think.. that could ruin him and his family when I think he just needs a slap on the wrist.

He needs a hell of a lot more than a slap on the wrist. Are you aware of his history on this site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Valehru

Nope...whats his history? Purely illegal by the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Spam, and lots of it! Shilling, and lots of that. Making crazy threats. And so forth.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Amusingly he has banned liamskater on his site for dodgy training - ironic really considering he Mr Skater appeared to be acting for him in FS Mobiles..

What's shilling again?

• Advertisement

cormie wrote:
    What's shilling again?

Now come on, google is your friend
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

Advertisement