Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging you to unsubscribe?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Now come on yourself, ah sure I knew I just didn't want to access that part of my brain at that moment in time. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Well, reported him to paypal, as it's hardly keen on such things. Don't hold out too much hope, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 racer25

Guys,

Just introduced our compliance officer to this site, she read this and is calling her pal in the CRO :eek:

Issues may arise as to what country the site is hosted in, its worth noting that the domain registrar did not grant a .ie handle. If he is hosted in the USA then juridiction issues come into play.

racer25 wrote:
    Issues may arise as to what country the site is hosted in, its worth noting that the domain registrar did not grant a .ie handle. If he is hosted in the USA then juridiction issues come into play.

It is indeed in the US. However, the operator is Irish and resident in Ireland. The upshot is that an Irish business is spamming people and refusing to stop until it's payed off. I can't imagine that the location of the equipment makes a huge difference.

rsynnott wrote:
    It is indeed in the US. However, the operator is Irish and resident in Ireland. The upshot is that an Irish business is spamming people and refusing to stop until it's payed off. I can't imagine that the location of the equipment makes a huge difference.

I accept that but the data is not stored in Ireland.

Don't get me wrong I think the guy/child is a con merchant but getting justice could be difficult on a data protection issue.

• Advertisement

I have tried the spamming laws in the past with Irish companies and won, but the fact that emails originate from the US would be the problem..., I believe

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

He is roughly 25+, Paddy, met him a few times before his site went public!! I hate the spam being sent and even worse is my account no longer has my set password on it!!!

jonny24ie wrote:
    He is roughly 25+, Paddy, met him a few times before his site went public!! I hate the spam being sent and even worse is my account no longer has my set password on it!!!

Bounce mail to *@********.net? :)

Interestingly, all the feedback posts about this have vanished from his forum. I wonder was it being obvious hurting his sign-up figures? Oh, paypal say they're investigating, but it's not their policy to let the person who complains know of the outcome of such investigations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

racer25 wrote:
    I accept that but the data is not stored in Ireland.

Don't get me wrong I think the guy/child is a con merchant but getting justice could be difficult on a data protection issue.
    The fact that the data has been transferred abroad places further data protection obligations on the data controller - see http://www.dataprivacy.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/responsibilities/3ma.htm&CatID=56&m=y

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

hehe, curious to see what happens here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

DaveMcG wrote:
    hehe, curious to see what happens here :)

So am I, just read all the posts with avid interest!

Advertisement