Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless questions

• 08-06-2006 2:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You are not tied to a particular router that is nonsense. there are loads of people on here using wireless routers of various makes with ntl. A wireless router will cost you less than 100 euros - and its not especially difficult to set up.

Friend of mine who has NTL is currently using this for example:http://netgear.co.uk/extra/h_wirelessrouter_wgt624.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

NTL supply some customers with a netgear router. Prob the one Dub45 linked to. But any wireless router will work. I personally recommend the Linksys WRT54G. Widely available and top quality.

Another example of NTL tech support talking shite. Last week someone was on here saying that they had been told by NTL that using a router was not possible! Morans!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

irlrobins wrote:
    NTL supply some customers with a netgear router. Prob the one Dub45 linked to. But any wireless router will work. I personally recommend the Linksys WRT54G. Widely available and top quality.

Another example of NTL tech support talking shite. Last week someone was on here saying that they had been told by NTL that using a router was not possible! Morans!

Yep loads of people use the Linksys one especially but the reason I did not mention it was that the current version (version 5 I think) has lots of problems.

I think most of the "problems" relate to the fact that you can no longer install third party firmware on it like you could on previous versions. But since most people stick to the official firmware it's not an issue.

Edit: remembered that Linksys released the WRT54GL, which allows you to install third party firmware as before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Advertisement

The older linksys wrt54g is probably the best wireless router I have ever used.

Its being going nearly a year now uptime wise and Ive never had to power cycle it.

Assuming you can get a strong wireless signal, for the most part you won't experience any loss of performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

802.11g supports a 54Mbps signal. Your NTL service is officially a max of 6Mbps. So under optimal conditions, you woun't see any degradation of service. Having said that, wireless is subject to various sources of interference, and the actual throughput that you receive depends very much on local circumstances.
    Also my dad has an Eircom wireless router in work, he said that a mate said it should work fine for us, I wasn't too sure. Does anyone know it if would?
    It can probably be made to work.

Assuming it's a DSL modem/router, rather than just a plain router, just follow the suggestions in this thread.

• Advertisement

username: eircom
    password: broadband1

Again, all this info is on http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/

post output of ipconfig /all while connected using wireless here.

1) Connect PC/Laptop to wireless router (if you can get this far).
    2) Start->run->cmd
    3) In the command prompt that opens, type ipconfig /all
    4) Copy and paste output here

• Advertisement

So the wireless network is using the 192.168.1.x subnet. What IP address did you have when you used the wired connection, and could reach the internet?

Ok that's if you plug cable modem directly to the PC it seems.

Your ip settings when you connect using wireless seem correct. Can you give more details about how you connect cable modem to the wireless router?

Ah there's your problem. Yellow was big among routers last year but this year they refuse to work with any thing but dual colour cables. Try painting a red stripe down it.... :p

Ok I'm kidding. CAn you descibe in detail your setup. Obviously you have the NTL cable modem. But what model is the eircom router? Which port on the eircom router do you plug the cable from the NTL modem in? What port do you plug your PC into on the router? etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

irlrobins wrote:
    Ok I'm kidding
    Actually the yellow cable could well be the problem as yellow ethernet cables are crossover cables. This is fine for connecting the cable-modem directly to the PC, but when connecting it to a router you should use a straight through cable. If you haven't got one already then get one, they're pretty cheap.

Not strictly true, I have crossover cables that are grey and red.
    And I think many routers autodetect if you're using a crossover cable or not and adjust accordingly.

Anyway see what OP comes back with and take it from there.

• Advertisement

Advertisement