Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless questions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Yep, spot on.

Ok keep that setup, and connect ur PC to the router using the wireless.

Then do this:

1) open command prompt (Start->run->cmd)
    2) Type ping 192.168.1.254
    3) Type ping 82.195.136.250
    4) Type ping www.boards.ie

Disconnect wireless. Connect PC to router using ethernet (plug it into one of the 3 remaining LAN ports)

Repeats steps 1-4.

Let us know, which if any of those ping tests fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

irlrobins wrote:
    Not strictly true, I have crossover cables that are grey and red.
    No, it is true that all yellow cables are cross-over, not all cross-over cables are yellow though. If either the Eircom router or the cable modem doesn't support automatic detection of cable type then it's not going to work and would result in what Solitaryman666 is seeing.

The pings should reveal a bit more but from what has been said already it seems to be a problem between the router and modem.

jor el wrote:
    but from what has been said already it seems to be a problem between the router and modem.
    Agreed. I have a feeling it's a DNS issue. But pings will tell more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

This post has been deleted.
    That's your problem. The yellow ethernet cable coming from the NTL box has an IP address of 81.103.240.243. But you plugged it into a LAN port on the Netopia, which expects a 192.168.1.x address. You need a router to get from 192.168.1.x to 81.103.240.243 but you're bypassing the router functionality of the Netopia, by plugging into the LAN side. (I know you don't have the option of plugging into the WAN side, because it's a DSL router). Unfortunately, if the NTL "modem" is giving you a "raw" connection, without any NAT protection from worms and other nasties, then there isn't really any reliable way to use the netopia 3347WG with it.

ah bugger, think you're right. I just assumed it would work, even with a public IP.

• Advertisement

irlrobins wrote:
    ah bugger, think you're right. I just assumed it would work, even with a public IP.
    No, sorry. My original suggestion was based on using the Netopia as a switch, because I assumed that, in this day and age, no ISP was so irresponsible as to give non-technical customers a "raw" connection, and that the NTL "modem" would provide a NATted address.

Foxwood wrote:
    using the Netopia as a switch
    Yea that's what I was going for. Well you learn something new everyday.

Ah, the cable-modem is similar to the IBB breeze box then. A friend had that and we needed to connect the Breeze box to the WAN connector on his wireless router. I had forgotton about that and was wondering why he needed to to that.

Does that router have a WAN port on in Solitaryman?

yea it does but it's RJ-11 and not RJ-45

jor el wrote:
    Does that router have a WAN port on in Solitaryman?
    The netopia 3347WG is a DSL "gateway" - it's WAN port is actually a DSL "modem", not an ethernet port.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Foxwood wrote:
    No, sorry. My original suggestion was based on using the Netopia as a switch, because I assumed that, in this day and age, no ISP was so irresponsible as to give non-technical customers a "raw" connection, and that the NTL "modem" would provide a NATted address.

Except irish broadband who dump half a city on a subnet with you just to fill your firewall logs with crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I think you'll need a new wireless router, one with an RJ45 WAN port on it. Your current router just isn't gong to work unfortunately. I think the one my friend had on IBB was a USR 5462. I'm sure there are others but I don't know of any off hand that have the required WAN port. Perhaps some one else with a wireless router could recommend one. This one might do the trick, but I'm not 100% sure.

Yea second link will work fine. Prob the most popular wireless router out there. I have one and it's easy to use and I haven't had to reset it once.

jor el wrote:
    I'm sure there are others but I don't know of any off hand that have the required WAN port.
    The vast majority of avalable routers fall into this category. They are usually referred to as "broadband routers" because they can work with different types of broadband (DSL, cable, wireless), whereas "DSL gateways" can only be used with DSL.

The "Big 3" brands in the consumer space, Linksys, NetGear and DLink all have multiple models of "broadband router" available, and usually only one or two "DSL gateways".

With the recent news that Netgear are to locate their International Headquarters in Cork, maybe you should look at a Netgear router.

Foxwood wrote:
    With the recent news that Netgear are to locate their International Headquarters in Cork, maybe you should look at a Netgear router.
    Explain this bit of logic? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 racer25

Maybe you will get support....

Sending your broken Netgear to USA might take while. Not that they should break but......

irlrobins wrote:
    Explain this bit of logic? ;)

Maybe support/repair service.....

Sending a product back to the UK is slow......

Yea but most times when a product fails you return it to place of purchase and not manufacture. So lil difference if Netgear are here or not.

Course if you have to ring support, maybe you'll get a nice Irish accent at the the end of the line. ;)

irlrobins wrote:
    Yea but most times when a product fails you return it to place of purchase and not manufacture. So lil difference if Netgear are here or not.

Course if you have to ring support, maybe you'll get a nice Irish accent at the the end of the line. ;)

Probably forwarded to a call centre in India

• Advertisement

racer25 wrote:
    Probably forwarded to a call centre in India
    More than likely. :(

Yes defo. Mate has mine has it on his NTL.

Set up is straight fwd. Turn off modem. Connect router to PC using cable. Configure router as per instructions (wireless, WPA secuity, SSID name, etc). Disconnect router from PC. Connect modem to router. Power on.

Connect to router from PC using wireless or ethernet and that's it.

Took my mate a few mins to get going so should be straight forward.

elara.ie, microaid.ie, expansys.ie, etc. Have a look urself! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

or pcworld.ie (eek), but they arent very helpful

yea they had a special offer on it a few weeks ago. Not sure if they still have it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

the prices are good don't get me wrong about that but the people working there (especially in Liffey Valley Retail Park) are clueless about computers despite the fact they are working in an IT shop

It's cheaper to order it from Computerbits in Sligo, than to get it from Komplett in Norway.

But if you want to set this thing up this weekend, you should be able to pick a wireless router up fairy easily in Dublin. Marx in Fairview have a DI-524 for €62 (I'm using a DI-524 at the moment), Peats on Parnell St have that Linksys for €109 (okay, so you'd have to be desperate!) Maplin advertise the Linksys on their UK website, so a phonecall to their store in Dublin would be worthwhile.

(Sorry, I was looking at the €79 Sppedbooster version, not the €75 version on Komplett. With delivery, it's €1.41 cheaper from Norway than from Sligo)

• Advertisement

Advertisement