Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Allow Me To Introduce Myself...

Options
  • 08-06-2006 4:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

The last time I was in Dublin ('88, '89 '91,) I was amazed by the music scene, and particularly by the abundance of "pirate" FM radio stations.

In those times, the only Irish bands that made it's way to the ears of the USA and New York City were U2 and Thin Lizzy, with a smattering of Rory Gallagher to the very few who ever heard of him...

Not my cup of tea, by the way.

A wave of Irish balladeers came over to New York, and after the sixteenth song, whilst trying to relax in my neighborhood pub after just having broken my ass all day, I was ready to hang your man and his rebels once more. Irishman or not. Traditional Irish music can become as tedious as the Blues if the monotony isn't broken up at least once with some variety, for Christ's sake.

I came to Dublin way back then, with a Gibson SG, and a Gibson 12/6, all my effects, plus a bag o' tools to support myself as a commercial restaurant equipment mechanic. I was hired quickly @150 Irish pounds/week, after being advised to pony up to place an advert in the newspapers.

I could almost live off that, but still, God did I love Dublin and everything about it. I **** you not - I had dreams 10-15 years before, and it all came into sync when I stood on certain streets near the City Centre, having never ever been there, nor had a sense of it with the technology we now enjoy.

If you were me, you'd have thunk you made the right move as well. Nothing panned out eventuallly, and it came down to the money that sustained me, and as a responsible illegal alien, I tucked me tail and went back home.

I will never forget The International Blues Band, who were on the bill at the International Bar on Wicklow Street. They were so gracious, and that's a thread in itself, let me play lead guitar whenever I was in town. Where on earth will you find a band that secure?

But that was Dublin to me then.

I was about to paint myself into a corner.

Advertisement