Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHats with after hours

Options
  • 08-06-2006 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

You know what really grinds my gears this time of year, you guessed it.
    Oh, the stress oh, the pressure, oh i have to get 550 points to get into my degree and not get a job in what i studied when i finished, oh.
    now that really grinds my gears.
    But what do I know, what do you know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

Okaaaaaaay
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

So what I'm saying is that the leaving is vastly over-rated

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Yes and no.

Yes with a capital, no with a lower case, that speaks for itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Depends on what you want to do.

There's alot of ways around having to get high points in order to get a decent career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Funsterdelux banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭Archeron

I panicked when I done mine (back in the mists of time) so this years crop of exam sitters are entitled to panic as well.

Massive build up of stress steam pre exam = massive release of drunken steam post exams. Its like a ritual really.

Just wish them all well as they scribble away in a hot room somewhere.

like most things in this country, both the leaving and college is 100 years in the last century, does that make sense, anywho

• Registered Users Posts: 16,174 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Victor wrote:
    Funsterdelux banned.

For what?

why ban me, if im not making sense then tell me before you judge,
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes, then who cares, you're a mile away and you got his shoes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

He has no reason to be banned :confused:

The Irish education system is grand.

The stress pays off.

Whats wrong with aiming for 600 even though you don't need it? It looks great on a C.V.and you'll have a sense of achievement.

Even though my course is only 350/400 I want to try my best.

My dear friends, who'll but "got 600 points in my LC" on theyre Gravestone?
    Not many employers give a fiddlers **** how many pionts one got, they look at job history first and if its good wont even check up your college qualifications, now i know its not like that across the board, prob alot different if your a scientitian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

You dont need massive LC points to be happy in life, just as you dont need a degree unless your industry requires it. I did pretty good in my LC but have not once been asked what did I get in a job interview. Employers (IMO) just want decent related experiance more then anything. Obviously though if you're heart is set on doing a certain course you need the points but I hate the fact five years of secondary school is judged in a week or two of extremly stressfull exams. Its not right, not a fair judgement of someones ability.

Especially in this weather... :)

Good luck to anyone here doing theres at the mo, Hope ye're gettng on okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

if im not making sense then tell me before you judge

You're not making sense.

Now can we ban you?

pclancy wrote:
    You dont need massive LC points to be happy in life, just as you dont need a degree unless your industry requires it. I did pretty good in my LC but have not once been asked what did I get in a job interview. Employers (IMO) just want decent related experiance more then anything. Obviously though if you're heart is set on doing a certain course you need the points but I hate the fact five years of secondary school is judged in a week or two of extremly stressfull exams. Its not right, not a fair judgement of someones ability.

Especially in this weather... :)

Good luck to anyone here doing theres at the mo, Hope ye're gettng on okay.

Fine point, what about all that homework most of us did till 6th year, well 3rd year in my case, all them hours and nothing to show for it, one wouldnt bring work home with them, unless they were going to get paid/something back in return would they, ban me, ban me, I made the BBC,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

My dear friends, who'll but "got 600 points in my LC" on theyre Gravestone?
    Not many employers give a fiddlers **** how many pionts one got, they look at job history first and if its good wont even check up your college qualifications, now i know its not like that across the board, prob alot different if your a scientitian.

Just out of interest, what did you get in you LC??? :D

To be honest, you have a point, but your far to hard line on it. The LC is important, good points = college and college = jobs. It's just a natural progression.

Sure , there are young lads out there working on getting a trade etc which is great and they don't need college to do so, but also i'm pretty happy knowing that someone out there is trying to go to medical school.

Jobs need doing, and some jobs need college. It's really just that simple.

Sure, medicine, and all that, even one can get into medicine by other channels too, science degrees and what not ,
    Ok, I'm not sure technically what i got but it was between 310 and 350, with a broken wrist, never wrote a word, in the exams. Dictated it all

Sure, medicine, and all that, even one can get into medicine by other channels too, science degrees and what not ,
    Ok, I'm not sure technically what i got but it was between 310 and 350, with a broken wrist, never wrote a word, in the exams. Dictated it all

Okay then, and how does one get into a science degree without going through college etc????

Simply fact is that they system, while not being perfect, is still required. A graded system as it stands gives a good indication of those with the work ethic and the apptitude to do well in a college environment.

It's really that simple.

I'm happy that you have had whatever success you have had, but just becuase you have succeeded in another walk of life does not mean that it is for everyone, at the end of the day.

Would you not agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Good god, a boards member with as much sense as me! Im shocked.

The man is right, the LC is a joke. Its beyond belief that a kid might get 500 points, but could be stopped from going to 3rd level because they couldnt pass a compulsory subject like Maths or Irish. Most European countries (the UK at least) let students take their final exams in their best 3 or 4 subjects. If it was the case here, I probably would have got 500 plus points on the back of my interest in English, History and Geography. Can someone please explain the reasoning in teaching algebraic (sp) maths and theorems and all that to ordinary level maths students? Im not saying this stuff is pointless. However, if you are aiming for a career where you are going to use it, you will be doing higher level maths. If you dont have any interest/abillity in it, you will be in ordinary level. Fact: ordinary level maths students will never use the maths theyre examined in once they leave the education system. I always thought the greatest shambles of all was that the exam system pays absoloutely no attention to those who are mathmatically talented in everyday situations, but who havent a clue how to play these fcuking alphabet puzzles asking the nth degree of x if y equals pi and so forth (i know thats not a real question, so dont anyone be pedantic :) ). Back in school, on the rare occasions that we would do sensible maths, in my head I could work out, say, 3.4% of £153 faster than the teacher. I have to use this type of mental arithmetic in my work every single day, and Im earning pretty good at the minute. What I dont need to do is use anything I "learned" in leaving cert maths.

Also, hes right in that many employers no longer care about 3rd level, they care more about experience and a willingness to work.

Slow coach wrote:
    For what?

So he can concentrate on getting his 550 points with out distraction:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I threw my certificate in a river... I thought everyone would think I was cool... but no one happened to be looking and didn't believe me when I told them...

But I do think the Leaving Cert is a bit pointless in the grander scale of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

There is an awful lot of hype around both the Junior Cert and Leaving Cert. But the extra anxiety around the Leaving Cert leads to the greateest anti-climax by the time you get to college. I guarantee that those of you who are doing the Leaving now will struggle to remember your points by the time you start college.

Dragan wrote:
    Okay then, and how does one get into a science degree without going through college etc???

Eh, I meant that one could do a science degree first and then go on to do medicine,

They dont teach cop-on in school either, which is 99.9% of everyday live.

Eh, I meant that one could do a science degree first and then go on to do medicine,

They dont teach cop-on in school either, which is 99.9% of everyday live.

I understand that, but you still need to work through the system for that Science degree.

As for Cop On, i have meant plenty of people in all walks of life, those who are highly educated and those on the other side of the coin who have had **** all cop on.

Exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Fact: ordinary level maths students will never use the maths theyre examined in once they leave the education system.

But what if they're ordering pizza and don't know if it's better value to get 2 9" ones or a 12" one???

JC 2K3 wrote:
    But what if they're ordering pizza and don't know if it's better value to get 2 9" ones or a 12" one???

See, what good knowing a half a dozen theorems if you cant order a pizza

God forbid anyone in this damn country should be educated when *gasp* it's not necessary!

To hell with ye all, get out there workin' in the fields, you don't need to read or write :rolleyes:

The scorn some people have for education is astounding. Is it going to kill you to learn ordinary maths? No. So stop whining and do the damn subject.

ive no problem with learning maths, im not giving out about individual subjects, its the big picture im talking about, you know the one that hangs up over the mantlepiece

I dunno why I started this thread, I do but I dont, well in any case, we live till we die.

• Advertisement

i just learned how to change a threads name, great fun coming my way.

Advertisement