Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHats with after hours

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

JC 2K3 wrote:
    But what if they're ordering pizza and don't know if it's better value to get 2 9" ones or a 12" one???

Yeah I think 6th class Maths covered those teasers pretty well.

I think someone mentioned the point of doing theorems and such in OL LC Maths?
    My view is that its about expanding the mind rather than teaching to a certain individuals needs.
    To do my Eng course I had to do Hons Maths and it was very worthwhile....but for almost every other course Hons. Maths in the LC is a pretty pointless when you view it as helpfull for your course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Why the hell is this **** getting moved from afterhours to here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Guys, you gotta look at the whole shool process as leading to certain goals, not just "oh, i can do trig" or whatever.

Generally speaking the school process is there to lead to eventuall clear and logical thought.

Obviously not something the OP has mastered yet.

Back to school time maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

"OP" Original poster?

Sorry, Im not up to date with every nerdy abbriviation.

i like clouds and leaves on trees, birds singing, its simple but it does it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

"OP" Original poster?

Sorry, Im not up to date with every nerdy abbriviation.

i like clouds and leaves on trees, birds singing, its simple but it does it for me.

I'm assuming that this is calling to a close your well put forward points about why the education system in Ireland is such a let down???

• Advertisement

no, im breaking for lunch, clarify the last statement, and i'll get back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

For one I didn't get the points to do anything really, I recieved a letter saying no colleges would accept me. However I didn't take it lying down, I took up a fetac course to get my foot in the door then went to work for a small IT company. Went back and did my CCNA's at night, I now look back and think, why the hell did I have to know how the sex drive of a plant works???

I feel somewhat lied to by teachers telling me it's the most important exam in my life. To this day I have never put my LC results on a CV, nor have been asked for them.

Also to be honest I have an applitude for computers and fixing problems that arise, to add; an intersted in this specific area. Yet all the people who have barely turned a computer on get preference to a college spot over me all because they know how to speak/write Irish. Tell me i'm wrong but Ireland likes to boast a lot about it's education system where as I believe it's made overly hard in areas that will not apply to you the second you finish your LC exam.

If we had more colleges the above wouldn't be a problem, points would be less and your LC would really mean sweet FA.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They dont teach cop-on in school either, which is 99.9% of everyday live.

Chris Finch from The Office?

astrofool wrote:
    Chris Finch from The Office?

Did Finchy say that?

Thats the end of that chapter

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Don't fret too much about the LC, you won't even remember the damn thing in a year. It was also piss easy compared to college so you shall miss it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Victor wrote:
    Funsterdelux banned.

LOL:D I was banned because this individual thought that my advice
    for concentrating on subjects other than Religion was losing JC kids marks.
    LOL religion is a joke in school. It is a PERSONAL matter;)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

Dragan said
    Generally speaking the school process is there to lead to eventuall clear and logical thought.

Generally this is true, but really the whole education system is mainly a way of segregating people into different categories, some will end up in cushy office jobs, but someone still has to be the petrol pump attendant. The education system as it is is grossly unfair, but I dont think it would be possible to come up with a fair system at all really.

I dont know why we dont take a leaf out of Aldous Huxleys 'Brave New World' and just decide it before birth and manage peoples expectations and the like :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Naikon wrote:
    concentrating on subjects other than Religion was losing JC kids marks.
    LOL religion is a joke in school. It is a PERSONAL matter;)

That's true. Religion is a joke in school. Especially for the JC, it means nothing!

Now, lets not get into religion bashing, I know I'd love to, but Thats not what this thread is about, wait to be honest, I dont know what its about, maybe I'll find the answer in religion.

My dear friends, who'll but "got 600 points in my LC" on theyre Gravestone?
    Not many employers give a fiddlers **** how many pionts one got, they look at job history first and if its good wont even check up your college qualifications, now i know its not like that across the board, prob alot different if your a scientitian.

Whats a scientitian?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

owned.

Maths is a way of devolping thinking and solving problems. Some areas can't be applied to everyday life whereas in English writing a letter can be learnt.

Maths is essential. The LC might be a bit outdated (people who have never seen a computer can get inot computer courses) but it's still an essential learning point for all students.

IMO, the LC is better than continual assesment. In the LC, you don't have to be good and ware all year round.. only for 2/3 weeks :D

The OP seems very ignorant. I admit that the system has flaws but you seem just to want attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Dragan wrote:
    Okay then, and how does one get into a science degree without going through college etc????

He means that you can get into Medicine by going through a Science degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 davidorgan

I just cant stand when those stupid people with no real world skills or real intellegence can get high points by learning everything off by heart and people who have real intelligence but find it hard to put in the work cant get the course they want.

Also i think they're should be more subject options so people can do what they really like(eg computers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

I agree with the more courses part but calling people who get over 500 or even 600 stupid is a bit silly.

Sure, lets all aim for 200. Sure, why not? Once I can blabber on about crap I'll get higher no problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

davidorgan wrote:
    I just cant stand when those stupid people with no real world skills or real intellegence can get high points by learning everything off by heart and people who have real intelligence but find it hard to put in the work cant get the course they want.

Also i think they're should be more subject options so people can do what they really like(eg computers)

ditto, i'd love a computers/IT subject in the LC, tbh it's stupid we don't have one in this day and age. or if we do, it's not available in all schools.

im not interested in any subjects i do yet ace exams constantly - imagine what i could have done in a subject i really like.

i also have a grudge against anyone who learns stuff off by heart purely for the LC exam. you shouldnt have to kill yourself to get into the college/course you want, you should be able to stroll into it without really hurting yourself.

workrate means nothing. you can be the best worker in the world yet be outclassed by a guy that walks in the door and spends a day working with you. natural talent is needed to succeed at the highest level, natural talent and a good work-rate.

Advertisement