Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fixed Camera - Naas Road

Options
  • 08-06-2006 9:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

Does anybody know if there's a fixed camera on the Naas Road before the Red Cow, got a lovely letter from the Gardai yesterday for two points and a fine. I was caught doing 80km in a 60km zone. It was my first time on this road and I obviously wasnt paying attention cos I thought it was an 80km road. But anyway I was caught fair and square and will be paying more attention in future. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

dont think so.. probably gatso van.. always around there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Jood

I wasnt really looking you see any they can be seaky tho, have to drive that road next month I'll have to be more careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Before the red cow in which direction?
    The only place I know they do be is when your coming away from clondalkin towards town , after the red cow roundabout theres a company that makes trucks (harris?) the tend to be just tucked in at the gate there, just before woodies.

Before the Red Cow when coming up from the South, not too sure tho I can only go by the time that I was snapped and I think thats where I wouldve been about then.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Jood wrote:
    Before the Red Cow when coming up from the South, not too sure tho I can only go by the time that I was snapped and I think thats where I wouldve been about then.
    Keep an eye out for a white transit van, that's been parked on the side of the road anywhere between Rathcoole and the Red Cow. The rear windows are blacked out except for a clear square where you can see a camera pointing out. I've passed it 3 or 4 times in the last month, mainly parked near the weigh station on the north bound side between Rathcoole and Kingswood interchange. It's a 60kph limit there which very few people observer so it must be like shooting fish in a barrel.

• Advertisement

yellow012 wrote:
    Keep an eye out for a white transit van, that's been parked on the side of the road anywhere between Rathcoole and the Red Cow. The rear windows are blacked out except for a clear square where you can see a camera pointing out. I've passed it 3 or 4 times in the last month, mainly parked near the weigh station on the north bound side between Rathcoole and Kingswood interchange. It's a 60kph limit there which very few people observer so it must be like shooting fish in a barrel.

There was quiet a lot of traffic on the road and I was keeping up with it so Id say we were all caught at the same time, unless it was just me :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

yellow012 wrote:

fuckers, I've never seen them. I wouldn't mind if they were parked outside a school at 3O'clock....

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Jood wrote:
    There was quiet a lot of traffic on the road and I was keeping up with it so Id say we were all caught at the same time, unless it was just me :(
    Yeah its a bummer alright, if you did stick to the 60kph limit there you would be more likely to cause and accident than prevent one.

Ya its bad now alright but sure thats the way it goes two points dont really affect me anyway more bothered about the fine could do without that at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

The po-po are there nearly everyday!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Jood wrote:
    Does anybody know if there's a fixed camera on the Naas Road before the Red Cow, got a lovely letter from the Gardai yesterday for two points and a fine. I was caught doing 80km in a 60km zone. It was my first time on this road and I obviously wasnt paying attention cos I thought it was an 80km road. But anyway I was caught fair and square and will be paying more attention in future. :rolleyes:

Grrrr, 60km zone, makes me laugh. Was driving on the N81 (Blessington Road) the other day and noticed it's 100kmh. How can this road be 100 and the Naas road is only 60?????

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

yellow012 wrote:
    Yeah its a bummer alright, if you did stick to the 60kph limit there you would be more likely to cause and accident than prevent one.

Is it legal for them to enforce the speed limit there? Since it's supposed to be temporarily put there due to road works, it might not have gone through the process needed to approve a 60kph speed limit.

Another question??, Im still on a provisional, my Dad fully licensed was in the car with me that day and most days. This is the first speeding offence ( or any ) that I've received, my question is how many points can you have on a provisional before you get disqualified???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Jood wrote:
    Another question??, Im still on a provisional, my Dad fully licensed was in the car with me that day and most days. This is the first speeding offence ( or any ) that I've received, my question is how many points can you have on a provisional before you get disqualified???

12 same as a full licence, and they will transfer to your full one to AFAIR.

its a joke really, 60km limit on a 3 lane road while 100's of country boreens have 80km limits

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Jood wrote:

I think 12.
    The naas rd is usually fine, what time did you get caught at?
    The gardai (speed camera vans) are very rarely are about at rush hours time. so during the day between 10.30 - 3.00, it is probably the most pointless shooting fish in a barrell approach on haphazard traffic regualtion theres ever been, I've driven that road for the last year and a half, four, five times per week and traffic is always above the limit, always and at least 80 percent of the traffic at that. The red cow part leading to newlands is an 80kmp zone by the way, after newlands it 100kmp for a certain indeterminable amount to somewhere vaugley around citywest, because if there are turn offs or slips an instant 60 zone applies?.. .the road doesn't change nut the limit goes immediately from 100 to 60?....Gay Byrne 'll sort it out soon 'nuff though:eek:

It was 20 to 2 on a Saturday afternoon didnt even see them they must have been well hidden, but at the same time I thought I was in the right so I wasnt looking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

stevejazzx wrote:
    .the road doesn't change nut the limit goes immediately from 100 to 60?....Gay Byrne 'll sort it out soon 'nuff though:eek:

By putting the whole road to 60 ;)
    Nuttzz wrote:
    its a joke really, 60km limit on a 3 lane road while 100's of country boreens have 80km limits

I've seen boreens with 100kph limits. It's made me extremely cynical of the whole speed limit system.

Stark wrote:
    By putting the whole road to 60 ;)

I've seen boreens with 100kph limits. It's made me extremely cynical of the whole speed limit system.

The best ever is a turn off from Sallins(kildare) village that brings you out to the naas rd. around Johnstown, the slip road is an 80 zone, the road is not only full of potholes etc, but cannot pass 2 cars for about 50 percent of it, so you have a 2 way road unable of passing 2 cars with a 80 limit, serioulsy I don't think I've ever seen anyone go above about 40km on this road....

Jood wrote:
    It was 20 to 2 on a Saturday afternoon didnt even see them they must have been well hidden, but at the same time I thought I was in the right so I wasnt looking out.

Yep, makes sense, the Gardai add you to their sats. So at the end of the eyar when the road authority are standing scrathing theirs heads wondering why 400 people died on the roads, the guards can say 'ahhh but you can't blame us we caught a record amount of people speeding this year'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I was caught there too a while back. I was doing 80 aswell :(
    60km limit :eek: I mean, FFS.

Of course, I drove from Dublin to the west and back this weekend and didn't spot a single Garda out and about being "visible" so as to slow people down...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

I drove over 650 miles on the bank holiday weekend and saw 1 cop speedtrapping. Where was he? On the motorway just outside Kinnegad :rolleyes: FFS go somewhere that it's actually dangerous to be speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Jood wrote:

I got caught doing the same last thursday.I was done between the mad cow and the long mile road junction. I was the only car on the road(9.20pm) and before I knew it a guard jumped out from behind a support for a big sign across the road.
    Just before they pulled me I was actually wondering what the limit was,didn't see any signs, but I've found out the hard way.Same as the OP done for 80km in a 60km.
    Fine arrived in the post this morning.:mad:

I got caught doing the same last thursday.I was done between the mad cow and the long mile road junction. I was the only car on the road and before I knew it a guard jumped out from behind a support for a big sign across the road.
    Just before they pulled me I was actually wondering what the limit was but I've found out the hard way.Same as the OP done for 80km in a 60km.
    Fine arrived in the post this morning.:mad:

At least they pulled you and told you, I've really no idea where I was caught, I can only guess going by the time on the letter, I dont know the roads around there, Im from Limerick I was only going up for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

A mate of mine was snapped by one of those vans a while back and when the fine came in the post the photo on the page was a tiny square and all you could see was the reg plate.You didn't see his car or what road he was on.Did you get a picture with yours?? If so what was it like??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Any time I've seen the boys and girls in blue out doing anything regarding traffic, they're:

- Camped out in cynical, purely revenue oriented spots catching people for being over a limit that's way too low for the quality of road they're on.

- Making the situation worse by setting up silly checkpoints and causing traffic mayhem just to check tax and insurance. Can't they do like in the UK and check these things on a database now? Ads on the telly seem to suggest that over there the system automatically issues fines/points if it's expired and not renewed.

- Out and about for their annual "Operation Freeflow" exercise. There was a day this year when Blanch was at a standstill around the shopping centre/Snugborough Road... I've rarely seen it as bad! Where was the cop? Right where she'd been for the entire 2/3 weeks.. directly outside Blanch Garda station at a junction that works quite well without their interference thank you!

Traffic enforcement in this country is all geared towards making easy money, bringing up stats and making the Gardai (and not forgetting the Minister of Justice) look good come election time.

Of course, as most people are sheep and vote along party lines cause their parents/grandparents etc voted for them, nothing ever changes and the game continues. :(

Sometimes I really hate this country...

A mate of mine was snapped by one of those vans a while back and when the fine came in the post the photo on the page was a tiny square and all you could see was the reg plate.You didn't see his car or what road he was on.Did you get a picture with yours?? If so what was it like??

Mine was the very same, a grainy black and white square fairly small at the top right hand corner, had to read it two or three times before I even saw the picture. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Jood wrote:
    Mine was the very same, a grainy black and white square fairly small at the top right hand corner, had to read it two or three times before I even saw the picture. :rolleyes:
    Would they not be required to provide a bit more "evidence" than that? Surely that could be challenged?

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Would they not be required to provide a bit more "evidence" than that? Surely that could be challenged?

I dont think so I'm assuming that thats the standard letter everyone gets, you can see my license plate, it tells you the road you were on and the exact time that you got snapped, caught by the goolies if you ask me, I'll just face the music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Good post Kaiser2000, agree with you 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I got caught doing the same last thursday.I was done between the mad cow and the long mile road junction.... I was actually wondering what the limit was,didn't see any signs, but I've found out the hard way
    Ditto to that... :(

I didn't realise it was a 60km and saw no signs to say that it was...
    My fine arrived 3 weeks later and came as a shock to me :mad:

Advertisement