Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fixed Camera - Naas Road

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

WizZard wrote:
    Ditto to that... :(

I didn't realise it was a 60km and saw no signs to say that it was...
    My fine arrived 3 weeks later and came as a shock to me :mad:
    If it wasn't the case that the system is designed to punish you for even appealing (by threatening you with even more points), this sort of thing could be challenged in court. :mad:

Fair enough if you are a daily commuter in the area you will know what the limits are and if you get caught doing significantly over the limit (4/5kph does not count in my book as every speedometer is different and many are still in MPH) then you deserve it, but cases where - as one of the posters above is - you're not even from Dublin and where it's not clearly signposted, should be dimissed until such times that proper signage IS put in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

I recently got caught after newlands cross which is 80km and I was doing 90Km...half asleep one saturday morning at 9 o clock and they got me...Never seen the van either - just got it in the post...Anyway Im up to 6 points now...All from 60Km zones...I travel regularly on the Nass dualer and try to do 60Km through the roadworks but people fly boy me and im like an old lady tipping along..Its pot luck to get caught...I can go as fast as I want on the backroads at home and never see a guard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Jood

Just out of curiosity has your insurance changed much with the 6 points??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Try parking your car and standing out on the naas road and see how fast traffic goes past. Think of the workers who are building a new road for you.

Also try and pull out of the statiol on the cork bound side. People round the bend and flare up behind you at 80-100km/hr flashing and beeping.

Absolutely lethal.

The morons who speed on that road will eventually get caught. 60-70km/hr is fast enough in my opinion.

Just remember you are made up of water and soft cells sitting inside your car (a metal object)...

Anybody who has been to the scene of a fatal traffic accident will know airbags and strengthened crumple zones dont matter a shít in an accident at speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Chief--- wrote:
    Try parking your car and standing out on the naas road and see how fast traffic goes past. Think of the workers who are building a new road for you.

Also try and pull out of the statiol on the cork bound side. People round the bend and flare up behind you at 80-100km/hr flashing and beeping.

Absolutely lethal.

The morons who speed on that road will eventually get caught. 60-70km/hr is fast enough in my opinion.

Just remember you are made up of water and soft cells sitting inside your car (a metal object)...

Anybody who has been to the scene of a fatal traffic accident will know airbags and strengthened crumple zones dont matter a shít in an accident at speed.
    That is true. Accidents are horrible.
    But I think the point that we (at least me) are trying to make is that it seems that the signposting in Ireland is shoddy at best (compared to our European/UK neighbours) and since the speed traps seem to be placed where they will get a maximum number of wrongdoers (speeding is wrong, I admit this), rather than being placed for maximum effect/visibility we feel cheated when we get these sort of things in the post. it's not that I'm ignorant of the laws regarding speeding, just I'd like to know what limit I'm supposed to be driving at...

I mean, if every time I drove I saw a Garda somewhere checking speed it would drive the point home not to speed, as opposed to this tripe of never seeing a Garda car/van/person for days on end, even on one of the busiest weekends of the year, which drives home the point that you are "unlucky to get caught" vs "lucky not to get caught"

All these "Speeding is dangerous" ads are having an effect, but the majority of people care more about how points/fine will affect their insurance/wallet, rather than how an accident could affect another persons life (sad but true).

It's not rocket science...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭1275gt

i was driving to leixlip on monday from city centre. gatso parked in just after liffey valley, very visible... fair enough. less than half a mile just up over the crest, two bike cops with speed guns.. then, less than a mile down the SAME stretch of road, around 8 gardai with 5-10 cars pulled and 3 more **&@% speed cameras :mad: :mad:

im all for slowing people down and making our roads safer, but what a massive waste of taxpayers resources. i wonder how many people have died along that stretch of road in the past couple of years :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's the shooting fish in a barrel that's getting to people. Fair enough you see the ads where a guy comes speeding round a bend and into the path of an obstacle or another vehicle and yes, that's very valid and the importance of safe speed cannot be stressed enough. It's the setting up speed traps on Autobahn-quality roads with rediculously low and poorly signed speed limits for the sake of gathering fines/stats that people rightfully have gripes about. Those resources should be placed where speeding is an actually safety issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I'm never sure about the Naas Rd, most times I drive to Dublin the people I passed on the motorway end up passing me again going along there cause I always slow down to something near the speed limit which pretty much everyone else ignores it seems.

60km does seem somewhat low for a three lane road imho.

As a matter of interest, after spending the long w/end in the UK, how come dual carriage ways get the same 70mph speed limit as motorways there? Are they just better designed?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Some Irish dual carriageways are soon to get a 75mph(120kph) speed limit.

Thread on it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054937219

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

Jood wrote:
    Just out of curiosity has your insurance changed much with the 6 points??

Touch Wood no it hasnt changed at all. Just got it renewed and was never asked about points. However if i shopped around for a different quote id say i could be in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Stark wrote:
    Some Irish dual carriageways are soon to get a 75mph(120kph) speed limit.

Thread on it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054937219

Cheers, never spotted that! Sounds like a good idea for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

...half asleep one saturday morning at 9 o clock and they got me
    Ah, impaired driving aswell. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Touch Wood no it hasnt changed at all. Just got it renewed and was never asked about points. However if i shopped around for a different quote id say i could be in trouble.
    You coud be in trouble as it is as your policy probably says that you are required to inform them of anything that may affect the coverage - including penalty points. Worst case scenario, you're driving around uninsured. I'd probably own up.

Advertisement