Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol Stations overcharging.

Options
  • 08-06-2006 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this in certain petrol stations.

I'm very picky when I fill my car, and its always €20 bang on, or €30 bang on. Mainly because I hate putting in €21.34 and getting back a pile of change from a twenty and a tenner. In some stations over the past couple of weeks though I've noticed that when you put the nozzle back in the holder, extra money goes onto your bill.
    First time it happened, it was only 5c, but I refused to pay it because I didnt want a handful of small change. On that occasion, the guy in the station smiled and said "dont worry, we never charge for those few cents" Since then its happened about 10 times, and the amount is getting bigger. Last time is happened, it was 25c. Now I know that 25c is not a lot of money, but if they done that and got away with it for every customer, thats a lorra lorra money.
    Has anyone else noticed this and have you mentioned it to the station employees? What sort of response have you got? I've got responses ranging from the mildly amused to the highly disgusted for my pointing it out!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Wow, thats a sneaky one, did you see the difference in price on the pump or at the till? It could be a software glitch. It would beinteresting to see if it happens every time for s given pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭Archeron

whizzbang wrote:
    Wow, thats a sneaky one, did you see the difference in price on the pump or at the till? It could be a software glitch. It would beinteresting to see if it happens every time for s given pump.

I've noticed it at the pump itself. When you replace the nozzle in the holder, the extra charge goes on. I tend to use different stations as I do be driving all over the place, so I havent had a chance to note if its the smae pumps that do it. It has happened 3 times in one station though.

Archeron wrote:
    I've noticed it at the pump itself. When you replace the nozzle in the holder, the extra charge goes on. I tend to use different stations as I do be driving all over the place, so I havent had a chance to note if its the smae pumps that do it. It has happened 3 times in one station though.

any od them in Dublin? I'd like to check it out!

as you can see from my sig I have an interest in petrol prices ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I'd say this could be a user related iusse.

whizzbang wrote:
    any od them in Dublin? I'd like to check it out!

as you can see from my sig I have an interest in petrol prices ;)

Believe it or not, no, all the ones I've found are in Kildare or Meath. (Trim, Kilcock, Monasterevin, Slane, Navan)

I also would say that it wouldnt be a user issue, as some of the staff have laughed and commented that "they dont charge for those extra cents" so they're obviously aware that it happens.

In fairness, it doesnt happen everytime. Perhaps they have "seen him coming" cameras and I have one of those "we see you coming " faces. :)

• Advertisement

Archeron wrote:
    In fairness, it doesnt happen everytime. Perhaps they have "seen him coming" cameras and I have one of those "we see you coming " faces. :)

maybe they add it on just to they can say "ahh sure, make it €20" and then they seem sound ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Archeron wrote:
    Believe it or not, no, all the ones I've found are in Kildare or Meath. (Trim, Kilcock, Monasterevin, Slane, Navan)

I also would say that it wouldnt be a user issue, as some of the staff have laughed and commented that "they dont charge for those extra cents" so they're obviously aware that it happens.

Interesting that all right about the extra €0.05.

What is more difficult to check is whether the pump is outputting the correct amount of litres for your €20.

I drive the bike mostly so I can see the tank filling up and at this stage I know what it should be but this would be far more difficult for a car.

Mostly I put in €10:02 or so and I have never seen it clock on when I replace the handle. I always am charged (rather I always hand over) the even €10 (or whatever).

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Archeron wrote:
    Last time is happened, it was 25c. Now I know that 25c is not a lot of money, but if they done that and got away with it for every customer, thats a lorra lorra money.

:eek: that's betweeb 1/5 - 1/4 of a litre! No WAY would you waste that from the little dribble that comes out of the nozzle when you're finished filling your tank.

I haven't noticed this myself, I always use the Apple Green service station on Clonskeagh road.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

Ive never seen this happen however Petrol Prices seem to shoot up over night now as soon as people hear "Oil Prices have risen to $70 a barrell" - For this price to filter through to the Pumps it should take at least 2 months...This does no longer seem the case anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

If there is a fault, the pump nozzle thing musn't be working on that specific site.

Petrol pumps are subject to routine inspection from Customs and Excise and are calibrated accordingly on a very regular basis.

Are you sure yoo are not exageratting a little bit ?

"Believe it or not, no, all the ones I've found are in Kildare or Meath. (Trim, Kilcock, Monasterevin, Slane, Navan)"

If you are telling the truth ring Customs and Excise immediately and let us know how you got on. They will be down on the sites like a ton of bricks, and definitely enforce legal sanctions. You will be called as a witness as well.

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote:
    :eek: that's betweeb 1/5 - 1/4 of a litre! No WAY would you waste that from the little dribble that comes out of the nozzle when you're finished filling your tank.

Correct, a gross fire hazard, the site should be shut down immediately ... if true.

Culchie wrote:
    Correct, a gross fire hazard, the site should be shut down immediately ... if true.

How is it a fire hazard? I havent seen fuel leaking from the nozzle, just the extra cents going onto the bill when its replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Archeron wrote:
    How is it a fire hazard? I havent seen fuel leaking from the nozzle, just the extra cents going onto the bill when its replaced.

Right, I think we've all been assuming you were talking about being charged for the dribbles of petrol that come out of the nozzle once you've let go of the trigger thingy.

Personally, I've never been seen the price on the pump change once I let go of the trigger, and i've never been charged more than what was stated on the pump.

Are you saying, for example, you put €10.00 petrol into your car, it says €10 on the pump, but the teller charges you €10.20?

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

I always make sure I get every last drop from the pump. Both because I'm a mean fecker, and because I hate the fuel dripping down side of the car. When I remove the nozzle from the car, theres nothing coming out of it, my finger is not on the trigger, and the price has settled on, for example, ten euro.
    I put the nozzle back onto the holder, and when it settles into place, the extra few cents THEN go onto the bill. I cant see any fuel coming out of the nozzle as its back in its holder, but it shouldnt be fuel coming out as I am not holding the trigger.
    Hope thats a bit clearer. Culchie has said that this is hazardous which is a worry. I was only concerned about the price. (Told you, I'm a mean fecker)

It's hazardous if there's 1/4 of a litre leaking (half a pint!!!), this is what you suggested when you say it is adding 25 cents to your bill.

I think you are only talking about dribbles. These dribbles are just residue that has already been dispensed by the pump, so once you let go of that trigger, the meter stops.

The pumps do not dispense full unless they are inside your petrol tank AKAIK.

Advertisement