Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Vista Beta 2 Available for Public Download

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

I love Vista :p I don't use Anti-virus or anti-spyware programs, and all my hardware has driver support :cool:

You have Windows Defender by default in Vista which is anti-spyware. Not :cool: running without anti-virus ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Gosh wrote:
    You have Windows Defender by default in Vista which is anti-spyware. Not :cool: running without anti-virus ...

Ah yeah true, though i'll probably disable it :p

I havent had a virus since 1991...my precious floppy disk games :(

Stephen wrote:
    Symantec have a version that works with vista, both 32 and 64 bit flavours.

Symantec mmmmmmm .... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Meh, I get it for almost nothing because of a home use programme in work :)

It's a corporate version and only available to existing Symantec users. The one I posted is available to everybody - doesn't give real-time protection only email scanning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

# Time-limited software
    Windows Vista Beta 2 (and RC1) is time-limited, pre-release software that will expire on June 1, 2007.

# Beta support policy
    This is pre-release (beta) software distributed for trial and testing purposes only. Microsoft does not provide technical support for beta releases. Although formal support is not offered for this beta, we have provided newsgroups to help answer questions you may have related to the installation and use of Windows Vista Beta 2 (and RC1). To join or read postings in these newsgroups, please visit http://windowshelp.microsoft.com.

If you do an upgrade then - once you install Windows Vista Beta 2 (or RC1) you cannot roll back to the previous operating system installation—you will either have to acquire and install the final released edition of Windows Vista or reinstall a previous edition of Windows. Before installing Windows Vista Beta 2 on any computer, please remember to back up all your files.

Connection speed: Connection type: Approximate download time:
    32-bit edition (3.5 GB)
    3.0 mbps Fast Cable/DSL 4.5 hours
    1.5 mbps T1 9 hours
    768 kbps Cable/DSL 18 hours
    256 kbps Cable/DSL 54 hours
    33.6kbps modem 2 weeks 3 days 4 hours :mad:

lol

Why the angry face?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sweet Jesus:eek:
    Drop me a PM if you want a copy on disc.

Gosh wrote:
    It's a corporate version and only available to existing Symantec users. The one I posted is available to everybody - doesn't give real-time protection only email scanning.
    I posted a direct download link to that earlier in the thread. It does give realtime protection. At least it says realtime protection is active:rolleyes: .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Stephen wrote:
    lol

Why the angry face?
    Sorry should really have posted in IrelandOffline ;)

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote:
    I posted a direct download link to that earlier in the thread. It does give realtime protection. At least it says realtime protection is active:rolleyes: .

Oops :o sorry missed that post - mine has a red circle with a cross in the security centre saying real-time scanning is disabled ...

Edit: 10/6 - My mistake, looks like you have to complete full system scan and restart after install for real-time to become active, I stopped the scan by mistake ...

Anyone had any success installing nforce 4 drivers on vista beta 2 x64?

Stephen wrote:
    Anyone had any success installing nforce 4 drivers on vista beta 2 x64?
    Did you try a Windows Update after installing Vista?
    It updated the Nvidia drivers on my desktop and the sound and modem drivers on the laptop. Thats the 32bit edition though.
    This might help aswell:
    http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_nforce_vista_x64_beta2.html

According to Windows Update, no updates are available - tried that driver package but vista isn't having it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭kirving

I have 2 Hard Drives, the first containing XP and most files, the second containing some DVD backups. If i install Vista on the second, will it auto matically give me a screen where I can select the OS when I boot up. And how can i remove Vista. Can I just wipe the second HD from XP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Seems they've overcome the heavy load, the d/l is going at a steady 308kB/sec here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

:( 4 hours and 3.1Gigs later, the file is corrupted. Back to the start...

Apparently this particular build of Vista (both 32 and 64 bit versions) has 'issues' with nvidia 6800GT cards such as my own - i.e. it runs like absolute ****e on them.

Bah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

Stephen wrote:
    Apparently this particular build of Vista (both 32 and 64 bit versions) has 'issues' with nvidia 6800GT cards such as my own - i.e. it runs like absolute ****e on them.

Bah.

Do you know of any other nvidia cards with issues with this or are the probs unique to that card alone ?

Also - somone mentioned nortons doesnt like this - from the experience of people here who have installed it - are there any other mainstream programs which wont work ?

I am thinking mostly of Steam games +Doom 3, Q4, FEAR, photoshop, printer drivers, powerdvd & stuff like that ?

Any other caveats to installing it ?

Steam apparently works just fine, once your graphics drivers etc are all working OK. Dunno about the rest of your list. Printer drivers would vary from manufacturer to manufacturer I imagine.

• Advertisement

ChityWest wrote:
    Do you know of any other nvidia cards with issues with this or are the probs unique to that card alone ?

Also - somone mentioned nortons doesnt like this - from the experience of people here who have installed it - are there any other mainstream programs which wont work ?

I am thinking mostly of Steam games +Doom 3, Q4, FEAR, photoshop, printer drivers, powerdvd & stuff like that ?

Any other caveats to installing it ?
    Most things "should" work fine. With the exception of Stephens problem, hardware and driver support is pretty good. All the hardware on my laptop and desktop installed and worked automatically without the need for the manufacturers software. Thats all with the 32bit version. Even with XP 64bit some drivers are problematic.
    The biggest caveat is don't install it as your only OS. Install it on a second partition or second drive and keep XP as a fallback. It's only in beta yet so it will have problems and bugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've a stupid question

Do I download the 32bit or 64bit version? I don't know the difference

My laptop is Pentium 4 but Windows XP if that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

micmclo wrote:
    I've a stupid question

Do I download the 32bit or 64bit version? I don't know the difference

My laptop is Pentium 4 but Windows XP if that helps

Get the 32bit one. Not sure if your P4 is 64bit (you'd need to give more details about it)

But you're probably better off getting the 32bit one...smaller download and easier to get drivers for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Huhuhu...

I have successfully installed Vista on my 2-years Intel Prescott machine. With minimum RAM 512MB and a small partition of 17GB it runs quite alrite. Even it manages to install Belkin USB 54G wireless adapter driver for XP although I saw somewhere there would be compatibility issue with this particular wireless USB adapter. The only device not working is my 4 years old Creative Webcam Pro EX, driver cannot be started or watever...

Huhuhu... Nice weekend to end with a fancy desktop....

Mart

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Installed Vista just now, took less then an hour,,,doesn't seem too bad tbh

Will have to use it more, getting a system rating of 3

Cabaal wrote:
    Installed Vista just now, took less then an hour,,,doesn't seem too bad tbh

Will have to use it more, getting a system rating of 3
    That system rating is odd. My laptop is getting a rating of 1 and the ay more powerful desktop is only getting a rating of 2.
    BTW, everytime I try to dl the 64bit version it's only showing a file size of 13.4MB. Anyone else getting this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

kaizersoze wrote:
    BTW, everytime I try to dl the 64bit version it's only showing a file size of 13.4MB. Anyone else getting this??

D/L no problem for me. 4.01gb file size.

Installed fine also on MSI K8T, AMD 64 3000+, Nvidia 6600gt, 1gb PC3200.

Only probs is no driver for Matrix Orbital VFD and HP 5552 printer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Seems stable, have had no crash or no issues with hardware all installed well.
    Only issue I had was wireless NIC wouldnt connect to my router cause of issues between U.S and E.U firmware,once had that fixed I was laughing.
    Im only getting a PC result of 4, which makes me wonder.
    AMD 64 X2 4400+ ,2GB Ram, 7900GTXOC 265MB, 2 250GB H.D, Asus Deluxe MoBo???
    Otherwise Im impressed, its slow as hell to open initially but once open all application seem to work ok inc Steam and WOW, steam opens instantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Anyone run into any major bugs yet?

• Advertisement

Any 6800GT users had any success at all? :(

Advertisement