Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone and O2 to offer tv channels over 3G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

this may sound stupid but where can you subscribe??
    looked everywhere in the live portal!
    have a n70, is a standalone application or do you have to connect to vodafone live?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

the link is on the vodafone live main menu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

EIN wrote:
    tried it last night and today, quality is good, and the sky news is actually live! i compared it to watching sky news on my tv and the mobile was about 5 seconds behind...

so it looks good,, 3's 3g offerings pale in significance to this, having been a 3 customer, i found the rte news videos on 3 a bit stale. i moved back to voda!

vodas 3g offerings in general are vastly superior, ie, isp internet access on
    3g, sky tv, etc etc... no walled garden..cheaper roaming, webtexts, manage your account on line.

voda are more expensive, but sure the ole sayin goes....u get wot u pay for ( or should do haha)

vodafone are way to expensive for my liking charge you on everything (not including this trial)
    even though vodafone at the moment may have more to choose from that dosnt mean 3's service is bad they are offering free world cup for christ sake!!

and when 3 launches their mobile tv i gurantee you will be eating your words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Jam Man

Have you seen the 3 UK TV offering?

Gotta be a matter of time I'd say

And 104kbps is a joke!

3's 3G stuff runs at almost 3 times that!!

I know where my bet stays ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MayoExplosion

1huge1 wrote:
    and when 3 launches their mobile tv i gurantee you will be eating your words

And it'll be available in more places too! I discovered today that my house isn't covered by Vodafone 3G - and I live in Dublin!

And when will O2 3G be available? I thought the deadline on the licence was 2004!
    Jam Man wrote:
    And 104kbps is a joke!

3's 3G stuff runs at almost 3 times that!!

I actually measured it one day - 3's download speed is actually around 200kbps (in my area). I don't know where they got 384 from.

• Advertisement

I never get 384mb i suppose thats the "max" speed,which you will never get!

damo86 wrote:
    I never get 384mb i suppose thats the "max" speed,which you will never get!
    384mb would could stream hdtv with that speed
    you mean 384kb and i suppose since its all down to the phones the 3G masts must be the same meaning same speeds? (or so you would think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

So do I pay any data costs to watch TV on Ready to Go?

If not, awesome! Free mobile TV all summer and they even have LivingTV, on which the second season of Veronica Mars just started!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

If not, awesome! Free mobile TV all summer and they even have LivingTV, on which the second season of Veronica Mars just started!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MayoExplosion

Any Irish channels? Channel 6 maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Linku wrote:

Nope, no volume data costs for this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

They have changed the sky news stream , it used to be the UK version but now its the irish one (with Sky news Ireland ) and it's in Letterbox mode. much harder to read the words on screen now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

After having used the VF TV for the past few days Im not impressed!!!!! I work less than 5 minutes walk from the VF 3G mast which is next to their call center and I cant connect to CNN at all and National Geographic keeps buffering so I wouldnt call it ''Streaming'' I have full 3G coverage also on my phone so they would need to sort it out

have no problems done in midleton,cork get perfect streaming have tried national geo and works fine,suppose it depends on demand on the mast, in dublin i would understand there would huge demand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Well if its live now then I gotta give it a try but I can't find my nokia 6630! I'm using my nokia 7710 (widescreen ) at the mo - it supported DVB-H tv (far superior than 3g) for a time but the trial period is over now so I am gutted.

But as soon as I find my 6630 i'll post some thoughts too.

Still no CNN ive been trying it all day and just says connecting but never does!!! Sky one keeps breaking up and voices break up too!!!! National Geographic sound ok but no picture!!!! Been trying for the last hour, still not impressed and as I said before Im 5 mins walk from the 3G mast!!!!

Ok tried it out there - Livingtv, nicktv and kerrang so far I've tested.

Kerrang music was awfully poor in regards to sound quality. Livingtv was pretty good!!

Same with nick, ren and stimpy.

Going to try Sky1 later, MTV will probably be rubbish though as its just mini shows I think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Genghis wrote:
    Of course, you need a TV licence to watch these TV channels on your mobile. Watch out, the inspector's about.

Only when Irish content is offered in streams; until then it won't count according to people I've been speaking to.

flogen wrote:
    Only when Irish content is offered in streams; until then it won't count according to people I've been speaking to.

You dont and wont need a TV license to watch these channels, its already been discussed in UK forums and its excempt, also if it were needed it would be impossible to police/enforce as there is no way to track or prove it.

Dellas wrote:
    You dont and wont need a TV license to watch these channels, its already been discussed in UK forums and its excempt, also if it were needed it would be impossible to police/enforce as there is no way to track or prove it.
    could'nt they just get it off the networks
    still most of us pay a tv licence so it wont make the slightest difference and as you say its excempt

• Advertisement

Dellas wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/09/internet_tv_licence/

You sure about that?
    Not sure how they'd track you, but don't assume it's legal either; and UK law is different to Irish, and I know for a fact that the Irish Gov has made no definite stance on this issue yet.

2.—(1) Section 2 of the Act of 1926 is hereby amended by—

( a ) the substitution for the definition of "apparatus for wireless telegraphy" therein contained of the following:

"'apparatus for wireless telegraphy' means apparatus capable of emitting and receiving, or emitting only or receiving only, over paths which are not provided by any material substance constructed or arranged for that purpose, electric, magnetic or electro-magnetic energy, of a frequency not exceeding 3 million megahertz, whether or not such energy serves the conveying (whether they are actually received or not) of communications, sounds, signs, visual images or signals, or the actuation or control of machinery or apparatus, and includes any part of such apparatus, or any article capable of being used as part of such apparatus, and also includes any other apparatus which is associated with, or electrically coupled to, apparatus capable of so emitting such energy"; and

( b ) the substitution for the definition of "wireless telegraphy" (as amended by section 18 of the Broadcasting Authority (Amendment) Act, 1976) therein contained of the following:

"'wireless telegraphy' means the emitting and receiving, or emitting only or receiving only, over paths which are not provided by any material substance constructed or arranged for that purpose, of electric, magnetic or electro-magnetic energy of a frequency not exceeding 3 million megahertz, whether or not such energy serves the conveying (whether they are actually received or not) of communications, sounds, signs, visual images or signals, or the actuation or control of machinery or apparatus.".

(2) Section 1 (1) of the Act of 1972 is hereby amended by the substitution of "capable" for "designed primarily for the purpose" in the definition of "television set" contained therein, and the said definition, as so amended, is set out in the Table to this section.

TABLE

"Television set" means any apparatus for wireless telegraphy capable of receiving and exhibiting television programmes broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction therewith) and any assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus.
    Strictly speaking,yes this should come under the remit of a licence.
    It should not be dependent on whether the output/content is Irish based.
    There is no basis in law to discrimate on those terms.
    flogen wrote:
    and I know for a fact that the Irish Gov has made no definite stance on this issue yet.
    Of course they havent, they dont have to.A licence inspector as the law currently stands could bring you to court if you have a mobile capable of receiving a tv broadcast (irrespective of its origin) and dont have a tv licence.
    Whether they have the right of discovery for your phone records is another matter-I'd imagine if they wanted to, they could get these via a summons as you are using your phone illegally.

Ok I've come to the conclusion that this service is pretty crappy.

Kerrang and Sky news are the only proper channels I've seen, the rest are all mini shows, for instance.

Nickelodeon showed the same episode of angry beavers and ren and stimpy at least 4 times in a day. Discovery channel aired a program and interrupted it mid way to show a completely different program which lasted all of 5 minutes.

Earthman wrote:
    Strictly speaking,yes this should come under the remit of a licence.
    It should not be dependent on whether the output/content is Irish based.
    There is no basis in law to discrimate on those terms.Of course they havent, they dont have to.A licence inspector as the law currently stands could bring you to court if you have a mobile capable of receiving a tv broadcast (irrespective of its origin) and dont have a tv licence.
    Whether they have the right of discovery for your phone records is another matter-I'd imagine if they wanted to, they could get these via a summons as you are using your phone illegally.

Just going on the research I've done to date; I was told by people in An Post that the O2/Vodafone broadcasts don't apply because they don't feature Irish content; I was then told that I'd have to speak to the dept of Communications for clarification on the rest because An Post are the enforcers, so to speak, not the legislators.
    Now; as far as the mobile phone TV goes because you pay subscription harvesting details would be easy enough to do, but not necissarily legitmate.. the real question arises when DVB-H (which is about to trial) comes into the mix, which is free to recieve; same applies for Irish content TV over the internet (which is actually available now, by accident!); that is unless the providers force you to enter details before you can view (address, name... TV licence number, if there is such a thing?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭Mossy

ENN, Friday June 16th

The Irish Times reports that the launch on Thursday by Vodafone and Sky of Ireland's first 23-channel TV service for mobile phones has sparked a debate as to whether or not the handset owner needs a television licence for what is, in essence, a tiny portable TV. "That's an interesting one. I'll have to go check," said a spokesman for the Department of Communications, which has responsibility for legislation in the area. "In theory, if you don't have a licence at all, you need one. But I don't think anyone would expect anyone to go get a TV licence for their handset," said a spokesman for 3G mobile operator 3.

On the face of it, it would appear TV-enabled mobile phones would also need a licence.

Indeed, the Wireless Telegraphy Act of 1972 specifically states that 'television set', means 'any apparatus for wireless telegraphy capable of receiving and exhibiting television programmes broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependant on the use of anything else in conjunction therewith) and any assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus.'

And when the issue was first raised with officials on Thursday, they assumed that a licence fee would indeed be applicable.

A spokesman for the Department of Communications said mobile phones 'can be regarded as falling within the ambit of wireless telegraphy legislation.'

But the Department appeared to have forgotten about a crucial amendment order brought in three years ago.

Under a 2003 amendment order to a 1926 Wireless Telegraph act, the section dealing with licencing does not apply to mobile phones. In a statement, Vodafone Ireland said: 'According to that amendment, mobile phones were declared to be a class apparatus to which Section 3 does not apply. The provisions of this order are fairly clear and without exceptions.'

Yeah, I've looked over the legislation and it seems pretty clear alright; so mobile phones are indeed out of the firing line, contrary to what I'd known before; still interested to see what happens with DVB-H and Internet TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

funkyflea wrote:
    Ok I've come to the conclusion that this service is pretty crappy.

Kerrang and Sky news are the only proper channels I've seen, the rest are all mini shows, for instance.

Nickelodeon showed the same episode of angry beavers and ren and stimpy at least 4 times in a day. Discovery channel aired a program and interrupted it mid way to show a completely different program which lasted all of 5 minutes.
    so what you say is that only sky news and kerrang send live on voda? the rest of the channels send other material that what is sent simultaneously on the "real" tv channel?

flogen wrote:
    Yeah, I've looked over the legislation and it seems pretty clear alright; so mobile phones are indeed out of the firing line, contrary to what I'd known before; still interested to see what happens with DVB-H and Internet TV.
    You seem to originally have made the same mistake as me then (untill mossy pointed it out) ie only looking at the legislation minus the amendments?
    I wasnt aware of that amendment and neither are a lot of mainstream journalists (which doesnt surprise me either)

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/SI158of2003.pdf

Thats the relevant bit.

(ok I'm getting out the telly now and cancelling my licence and will wave my Sky news showing phone to the licence inspector with glee when he calls :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

When you try to view with a Samsung ZV10 you get told that the phone requires a free software upgrade from your vodafone shop. Just wondering if anyone got the upgrade and how long it took?

• Advertisement

Shamrok wrote:
    When you try to view with a Samsung ZV10 you get told that the phone requires a free software upgrade from your vodafone shop. Just wondering if anyone got the upgrade and how long it took?
    i recommend calling vodafone and double checking that before going into a vodafone shop

Advertisement