Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood-covered US hand, happy Arabs

Options
  • 08-06-2006 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

I was browsing and came across the front page of an Iraqi newspaper, written in Arabic and completely mysterious to me.

It has a cartoon that shows a massive American hand covered in blood as it squashes people, watched by some happy Arabs. Does anyone know what the text means? http://www.iraqworld.net/images/kar.jpg Or any idea about the context of the cartoon?

Or has anyone heard of the newspaper, Iraq World? What are it's politics?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

No idea but the two heads in the fist look like kids :/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I think it's claiming that they're blissfully unaware as they march forward to their doom at the hands of the US. Or something.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

The first guy seems to be kissing the hand.

The first guy seems to be kissing the hand.
    I agree, he does indeed. I wonder if the colours of the gowns the arabs are wearing have relevance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

tallus wrote:
    I agree, he does indeed. I wonder if the colours of the gowns the arabs are wearing have relevance.

Its looks like a line of wealthy arabs kissing the US hand?

Kissing the opressors ass will keep you healthy and wealthy.....like when people kiss the rings of Religious leaders to show respect?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

possibly its ment to be Shia's kissing the hand of America as they kill Sunni's ??

thats my only guess

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Kissing the opressors ass will keep you healthy and wealthy.....

That appears to be the message in the imagery as far as I can make out. Better to be friends than enemies with the US. The "or else" being communicated by the blood drenched bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Or that the rich Arabs befriending the Americans are oblivious to the spilt blood?

Sounds about right to me edanto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 johnthesavage

Looks like an attack on arabs who support the US for their own gain, the House of Saud perhaps? although the characters look a little generic. No way of telling for certain without knowing what the text reads though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

(I'm 99% sure) The writing in the pools of blood say Iraq, Palestine and Afghanistan. I don't know what the main caption means, I'm only a beginner in Arabic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Modo06

my guess - the arabs are kissing the hand which belongs to those who kill the innocent children of Afghanistan, Iraq and Palestine. Almost as if to say they salute such acts.

Advertisement