Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

router problem

• 08-06-2006 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

i got wireless broadband last month, it was wired from the top of the building down to some sort of hub and straight into the back of the computer via RJ-45 Ethernet cables and worked grand

but we have just got a few new desktops and want to set up a wireless connection.

I got the belkin wireless g router but that uses RJ-11 plug and cables with the British (Telecom) Plug. How can I connect to the router? Have I bought the wrong equipment?

What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Yep, wrong equipment. Sounds like you have a a wireless dsl modem there. Return it and get a RJ45 router like the Linksys WRT54G or Netgear WGR614, etc.

Edit: Can you post model number of the belkin so we can confirm. And don't buy a belkin, they're shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Here we go again... BELKIN are the Devil of Routers ;) stay away or they will fry your brain trying to figure out why they are not working. The suggestions of my learned tree seeking friend above should be exactly what you need. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

right thats what is was thinking

..okay so while i'm at it

i need a print server for about 2 printers and also i'll need some sort of cards to connect older machines to the wireless network?

what would be the best way to go about all this?

Linksys have a good range. As regards wireless adapters for older PCs, if they are desktop you can go either PCI (requires opening case to fit) or USB. For laptop PC Card or USB.

microaid.ie will usually order in any linksys product you require.

i got the Linksys WRT54G but i can't connect to the interent, i've the settings put in and all but no good (they could be wrong of course)

my laptop can connect to the wireless

it say "the Router is not abke to connect to the internet"

any ideas, should my settings be different to when connecting direct into the computer?

• Advertisement

Where does the message "Router can not connect to internet" appear?

How have you connected WRT54G to the cable coming off the roof aerial? Who is your ISP?

on step 4 (second step 4) of the wizard "confirm New Settings"

it's connected via a hub the isp provided and they are rapid broadband in west cork

Ah don't bother with the wizard yoke. Manually set it up. I'd connect the router to a PC using an ethernet cable into one of the 4 lan sockets. Set the PC to get ip address via DHCP and you should get an ip address in the 192.168.1.X range.

Then open browser, enter 192.168.1.1 as the address. leave username blank and the password is admin. Then just go thru the screens to setup the WAN, wireless etc.

Can you give more details about this hub? What does it look like? Any pics of it. Not sure if this is needed or not.

i tryed doing it manually but that didn't seem to work, it was like the page only half loaded. will try it again

the hub is only a small white box with ethernet cable from roof going in and another out to comp and with power and earthed, could this be bypassed?

Nah, it's the poe box for the radio on the roof. You just confused me when you called it a hub.

If you're still having probs with manual setup, press in the reset button at the back of router to return it to factory settings and try again. There's no need to connect it to the white box until it's configured.

• Advertisement

my bad, have reset it a few times already

edit: oh the internet light on the router is on

Ok, so router has been reset, connected to a PC via ethernet cable from a LAN port. You've opened up your browser and entered 192.168.1.1. It's prompted you for the password (admin) and it starts to load the setup page but then hangs?

Is that a correct summary of the problem? If so have you tried accessing it from another PC, or another browser?

okay done it again and got a "Management Mode Firmware Upgrade" with a browse computer option

Sounds like it has a sick firmware and needs it to be reloaded. Look at sticker at the back/bottom of WRT54G and let me know version number. Should be something like WRT54G V4.0 or something.
    I'll get the correct firmware for you then.

Wrt54g V5.0

Download this.

Save it(zip file) to PC and extract contents. Open the 192.168.1.1 again, click the browse button and select the .bin file extracted. Let it update.

Sometimes helps to switch off any extra progs and antivirus in case they interfer with the upgrade. Prevents you bricking the device.

okay got "upgrade success" what do i do now?

It should have a button to click that will restart it. If not, close browser, then reopen it. Go to 192.168.1.1 and hopefully it will be back working as normal.

nope, goes back to the firmware upgrade thingy

Hold reset button in for 30secs. Then try again. If it comes up again, then I think it's fubar'd and it's time to RMA! :(

• Advertisement

Actually, read this

it's looking more promising now

in the first screen after entering the settings and clicking save i get "the WAP IP address is the same with the LAN IP address! Please check them again!"

i've tryed a few things but keep getting it

Who is your ISP?

Thought I'd throw my hat in the ring here irlrobins... ;)

It's rapid broadband. Are you not reading the thread??? ;)

I was hoping the problem was that the OP didn't disconnect power after the firmware update. Apparantly you have to do that with V5 updates. Didn't in pervious models. That seems to have worked, so just checking his settings via PM now.

Too busy configing Fedora Core 5 on a lab machine here, only 640MB of updates... currently on 54 / 224 :eek:

Do they require the old MAC cloning trick?

Don't think so. Figured out the cause of the latest error message so see how that goes.

been on to rapid and they are emailing on details, we'll see how it goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

QuinnyKid wrote:
    it's looking more promising now

in the first screen after entering the settings and clicking save i get "the WAP IP address is the same with the LAN IP address! Please check them again!"

i've tryed a few things but keep getting it
    It sounds like the "white box" is already providing a NAT address.

Go back to the beginning. Ignore the Linksys for now, and plug your PC directly into the "white box", and check your IP address. (Open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG).

If the white box is giving you a 192.168.1.x address, then you've already got a router, and, assuming it can't simply be replaced by the linksys, you'll have to use a slightly different stragey to get them both working together. Before I go into details, can you post any markings/labels on this "white box"?

Spot on foxwood. White box is indeed giving a 192.168.1.x address. Instructions that Quinny gave me tell the user to set up ip address of 192.168.1.2 on PC. Doesn't say what to do for a router. :o

PM your email and I'll fwd instructions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

irlrobins wrote:
    Spot on foxwood. White box is indeed giving a 192.168.1.x address. Instructions that Quinny gave me tell the user to set up ip address of 192.168.1.2 on PC. Doesn't say what to do for a router. :o

PM your email and I'll fwd instructions.
    The solution depends on whether the "white box" supports multiple connections or not. If it does, then the simplest solution is to ignore the router functionalty of the Linksys, and just use it as an Accesspoint by plugging the "white box" into one of the 4 LAN ports on the Linksys. (If the user has been instructed to set the IP address on the PC manually, it's probably not doing DHCP, so the inksys can do that).

If the White Box doesn't support multiple connected PCs (even if it only has 1 ethernet port, it could support multiple devices) then change the Linksys to use a different LAN range (192.168.2.x, for example), and tell it to use 192.168.1.2 as it's WAN address, and you should be all set.

But there's stil the question of the "white box". Is it just a PoE box, and the 192.168.1.2 address is actually assigned by the Rapid broadcast antenna? Or is the "white box" a fully functioned router? (can you access it in a web browser at 192.168.1.1, for example?)

BINGO! plugged into one of the four LAN ports and got a connection! cheers lads!

i think i'll take back that bingo :mad: ...had a connection but nothing now
    it was saying it was connected this morning but i couldn't connect to any websites or anything... now i got zlich nada nothing! and my head hurts :(

edit: ok i'm connected again
    edit2: nope gone again!
    edit3: back again

Advertisement