Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Paper 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Attractive Nun:
    Solution.jpg

Will do 3(a) as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭willowmegs

but seriously it was a paper for higher standards students, the department dont care about the weak math students and need to understand that if u fail maths u fail ur leaving...

true, i'll be happy with a d3.i only need a d3 anyway for my course but heres hoping paper 2 will be better.

don't worry, the dept wont want to skew their results curve, the same amount of people will get A,B,C,D,E,F grades as every year..

A tough paper means an easy marking scheme..

Just concentrate on blowing paper 2 out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Hons, and I won't be getting that honour I so badly need by the looks of things... Should have passed though.
    B*llocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Did anyone else get 32 and 16 for 8(c) (integration-HL)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

Ordinary, i thought it was great!

the part Cs werent that bad.... although our teacher has spent the last year focosing on the hardest question for every topic..

there was a few funny things throughout, but i attempted 7, and sorted out 3 parts i couldnt do earlier, in the last 15 minutes, which made me happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

i did honours.most people in my class thought it was hard,even my teacher said so!!i couldnt remember the differention theorem either!!QUESTION-can you get an A or B1 without having without getting any question FULLY worked out??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

thats the answer but i couldnt get the 16 out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

JoseJones wrote:

Yeah, I got 32 for the area under the curve. Didn't get part (ii) done though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shane0312

Raphael wrote:
    Attractive Nun:
    Solution.jpg

Will do 3(a) as well
    Yeah I did that as well except I just let the log =x and subbed it in afterwards. I was so happy when the perfect square came out.

Just as a matter of interest what did you get for the conditions for C (ii) to be true? I worked it out as A=B, and it worked out.

• Advertisement

That was a reply to josejones btw

3(a):
    Solution2.jpg

Edit: It's a five not a three. My bad. Technique is fine though, just comes to d=5

JoseJones wrote:
    Yeah I got that.

Raphael wrote:
    3(a):
    Solution2.jpg

that's wrong....

(2+ i)(2 - i) = 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

I thought it was a lovely paper.

Q1.Full Marks
    Q2. C i made a decent attempt but i actually read the q wrong!!
    Q3. Full Marks
    Q6. Only got to 'now prove true for n=k' teacher said u got 13/20 for that.
    Q7. Didn't get last few lines of C.
    Q8. Full Marks

I'd say just scraped an A1. I'm gonna rape paper2.

shane0312 wrote:
    Yeah I did that as well except I just let the log =x and subbed it in afterwards. I was so happy when the perfect square came out.

Just as a matter of interest what did you get for the conditions for C (ii) to be true? I worked it out as A=B, and it worked out.
    Yup, A=B. Log x to the base x is 1, so it's 1/1 + 1/1 = 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭michelle_ie

Gangsta wrote:
    I thought it was a lovely paper.

Q1.Full Marks
    Q2. C i made a decent attempt but i actually read the q wrong!!
    Q3. Full Marks
    Q6. Only got to 'now prove true for n=k' teacher said u got 13/20 for that.
    Q7. Didn't get last few lines of C.
    Q8. Full Marks

I'd say just scraped an A1. I'm gonna rape paper2.

honours or pass///

Honours

Raphael, Is that right? (2+i)(2-i)=5 isn't it?

that's wrong....

(2+ i)(2 - i) = 5
    ...****idy doo da, you're right. Answer still works out the same way though. Glad I have 2 spare questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Ballerina wrote:
    i did honours.most people in my class thought it was hard,even my teacher said so!!i couldnt remember the differention theorem either!!QUESTION-can you get an A or B1 without having without getting any question FULLY worked out??!!

I'm almost certain you can at least get a B1. It's possible to get an A in applied maths anyway. you'd need to make close to no mistakes, and you're always likely to make a few blunders...

• Advertisement

that's wrong....

(2+ i)(2 - i) = 5

Yeah Raphael I think you got that one wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Raphael wrote:
    Attractive Nun:
    Solution.jpg

Will do 3(a) as well

As promised, I am greatly pleased. Cheers! It's easy once you see it I guess, but it has to be said that's a difficult question. Some pretty random steps.

1 - 50 marks
    2 - 35ish... C just would not work for me
    3 - 50 marks
    4 - 40/45 marks... big attempt at C(ii) but didn't quite finish
    5 - 35ish... didn't get C(i), which was worth 15 i reckon
    6 - 50 marks
    7 - 50 marks
    8 - 40ish.. Got mixed up with my area question..

Honours paper, should be an A1 there, and on quite a tough paper too...

Ballerina wrote:
    Ya my teacher told me he's seen people get A1s without finishing all the Cs. But you'd want to kill the rest of it though.

F u c k. fair play emmet:)

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

JoseJones wrote:
    I'm almost certain you can at least get a B1. It's possible to get an A in applied maths anyway. you'd need to make close to no mistakes, and you're always likely to make a few blunders...
    yay deadly!hope your right!(applied maths though???)

As promised, I am greatly pleased. Cheers! It's easy once you see it I guess, but it has to be said that's a difficult question. Some pretty random steps.
    I know, I got a false start on it, and only knew the way to change 1/log to log because i;d looked a question where you had to prove it last night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I thought honours paper 1 was pretty shocking.....everyone else seemed to also. Q5 c) I didn't get out, I got a result different to the one shown above. The graph in question 6....I had my points but I didn't have a clue how to draw it.

I got 3 a) wrong too! It was the 'real' part that confused me, because I didn't think you coulc let it equal to a + 0i.

2 b)ii) what was your explanation on why the roots were real? I said that since t was an integer, the expression could be positive or negative, ie. it was on either side of the x-axis -> curve cuts the x-axis -> real roots.

Realised afte though that it almost definitely followed from the b^2 - 4ac thing in i) though.

Overall not that happy with it, especially as Maths is one of the subjects I need to do well in

Here's my rough estimate of what I got:

Q1. 50
    Q2. 35 (not sure about b)ii) or c
    Q3. 40 (part A..stupid)
    Q4. -
    Q5. 30 (not sure about a) again, pretty sure c) is wrong)
    Q6. 45 (all fine apart from the sketch of the curve)
    Q7. 50
    Q8. 30 or so (think I messed up somewhere in the a) or b), got part of c)i) wrong and couldn't do c)ii)

Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I sat the (O) level exam, Iv'e been concentrating on maths ALL YEAR SO MUCH and have been getting grinds like theres no tomorrow, but the paper was horrible :( And I felt like sh!t after it. I just have to concentrate on paper2 now.

you use the b^2-4ac result in Q2. B ii) also. 9t^2>-8t and if t is an integer that statement is always true.

Therefore, the roots are real.

• Advertisement

yeah there is a russian math genius in my school (he is ACTUALLY a genius), and he thought the paper was quite hard. he still thinks he got an A1 though:rolleyes:

Advertisement