Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 08-06-2006 12:31pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma

Karma is a sum of all that an individual has done is currently doing and will do. The effects of all deeds actively create present and future experiences, thus making one responsible for one's own life, and the pain in others.

Anyone who has seen My name is earl, would be familiar with the ways of karma and how they work!

Do you believe in this? Or is karma really a load of bull :rolleyes:

As for me I'm an avid believer of karma as there have been way too many coincidences in my life for there not to a greater force at work out there good or bad:D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Your karma would be to have a bunch or grammarians chasing you up the street!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

I believe it a little bit - but not into that whole 'butterfly effect' ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I'd like to believe in karma, only when it doesn't affect me negatively! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i believe that for every thread you start, one year will be deducted from your life.

you down to about 40 years at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead has done some ****ty things to people over the years. If there really is such a thing as Karma then I fully expect to end up heading off home drunk in a taxi with coolsmileygirl on my lap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Karma is the law of cause and effect; it tells us that actions have consequences. That's all. There's not that much to "believe", until you add on how it is connected to your dharma, and the type of karma that is not fulfilled until another life.

Always a useful explanation: http://www.buddhanet.net/fundbud9.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Surely this thread should be in the buddist forum or the spirituality forum ?
    as it is not just a buddist or pagan belief.

and yes I do believe in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm not sure if it is exactly the same, but I'm a firm believer in "what goes around, comes around".

On the negative side - If someone really p1sses me off I am generally quite happy to say schtum & think "Fcuk you!" & just sit back & wait for (divine?) retribution to be meted out. (There are a couple of people I have had the bad luck to deal with who just won't know what hit them.)

On the positive side - One good turn does deserve another. Pay it forward! It's worth it in the long run.

i believe that for every thread you start, one year will be deducted from your life.

you down to about 40 years at the moment.

I've started 65 threads and i'm here since November:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Thaedydal wrote:
    as it is not just a buddist or pagan believe

I agree, and I like Karma, the idea of it anyway, i just dont have much time for this world anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Thaedydal wrote:
    as it is not just a buddist or pagan believe

I agree, and I like Karma, the idea of it anyway, i just dont have much time for this world(its people anyway) anymore.

I've started 65 threads and i'm here since November:)

65 threads?If i beleived in karma as you do i wouldnt set foot outside the house!!:rolleyes:

Hill Billy wrote:

On the negative side - If someone really p1sses me off I am generally quite happy to say schtum & think "Fcuk you!" & just sit back & wait for (divine?) retribution to be meted out. (There are a couple of people I have had the bad luck to deal with who just won't know what hit them.)
    I agree with this kind of approach too, I think its just because I'm a lazy bitch and I have a little faith in mankind that things come around my way again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Karma is just something to help those who got screwed over feel a bit better.

Pighead wrote:
    Pighead has done some ****ty things to people over the years. If there really is such a thing as Karma then I fully expect to end up heading off home drunk in a taxi with coolsmileygirl on my lap.

Not drunk pighead...not drunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

If it is real than believing in it or not won't make a difference.

Unless the belief in it is what makes it come true.

If so I like to think it's real. Only without the reincarnation aspect as that seems highly unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

ThatGuy wrote:
    I believe it a little bit - but not into that whole 'butterfly effect' ****e.
    The "butterfly effect" relates to the Chaos Theory, not Karma.

The "butterfly effect" has sound scientific basis, pioneered in the 60's by an MIT scientist called Edward Lorenz.

Pighead, nobody has been that bad to deserve that kind of fate!

Pighead wrote:
    you wish!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Pighead wrote:

Surely you haven't done something bad enough to deserve that treatment Pighead. I get the feeling this thread is a stab at Kiera being banned. If so, it should probably be closed. If not, it should probably be moved as Thaed said.

I "believe" in Karma. I like the ideas behind it, and I've read a good deal about it. That wiki article isn't that bad, considering it's wikipedia of course.

Umm you wish!!!
    No I don't ya big ninny! Thats the whole point. Going home drunk in the back of the taxi with you salivating on my lap is payback for that time I seen a wasp on my young sisters head and told her to play the head slapping game with me.

• Advertisement

sjones wrote:
    Surely you haven't done something bad enough to deserve that treatment Pighead. I get the feeling this thread is a stab at Kiera being banned. If so, it should probably be closed. If not, it should probably be moved as Thaed said.

I "believe" in Karma. I like the ideas behind it, and I've read a good deal about it. That wiki article isn't that bad, considering it's wikipedia of course.
    I was thinking of changing the sig i've had for the last few months and thought of the idea
    and is Kiera actually banned ah well!!!:D

No more Kiera in AH then

anyway sjones the ideas behind a lot of theory's are ideal if not fitting but if you were doing somthing really bad(like a bank robbery or having an affair) would you ever stop to think, God I'm gonna pay for this !

Pighead wrote:
    No I don't ya big ninny! Thats the whole point. Going home drunk in the back of the taxi with you salivating on my lap is payback for that time I seen a wasp on my young sisters head and told her to play the head slapping game with me.
    Ya love me really !!!

I was thinking of changing the sig i've had for the last few months and thought of the idea
    and is Kiera actually banned ah well!!!:D

No more Kiera in AH then

anyway sjones the ideas behind a lot of theory's are ideal if not fitting but if you were doing somthing really bad(like a bank robbery or having an affair) would you ever stop to think, God I'm gonna pay for this !

During every single bank robbery/affair i think "God,i'm going to pay for this!".You've hit the nail squarely on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Pigheads humour goes right over Coolsmileygirls head. :D

Yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Karma used to exist...

http://boards.ie/wiki/index.php/Karma

But not any more.

Ya love me really !!!

Sadly coolsmileygirl I do not. Pighead knows you may not be able to come to terms with this and will most probably sink to your knees and cry "Why oh why has he forsaken me?" But you must remember, life is cruel.

Look at the Magellanic penguins, the mother lays two eggs and allows both to hatch; only then does she begin to discriminate. Of the fish she brings to the nest, she gives 90 percent to the larger chick, even as the smaller one howls for food. In the pitiless cold of Antarctica, the underfed bird invariably dies.

As I said its a cruel cruel world.

Pighead wrote:
    the underfed bird invariably dies.

As I said its a cruel cruel world.
    It dies thats terrible, really why would you tell me that:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Of course there is no such thing. Bad people get away with it all the time and go on to live long and happy lives. Its not a fair world we live in and there is no all-seeing power keeping score on the actions of each individual. Sad really but there ya go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Karma is an evil, evil idea that condemns 300 million indians to lives of misery and degradation.

Advertisement