Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car to get for taxi/hackney?

Options
  • 08-06-2006 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I've been planning to start driving as a hackney or maybe taxi driver and as I'm pretty useless when it comes to motors I was wondering what recommendations some of ye would have as to what (used) car I should consider getting - using performance, reliability and a price range of around 8-10k as the main criteria. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Octavia TDi or Corolla D4D would both be well up to the task.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

how many seats do you want ?
    car, estate, 4 seats + ?
    it has to diesel and an auto box would be best.
    try and keep it in the last 10 years.
    leather wears better and cleans better too.
    make sure tour seat fits you well.

lots to choose from so good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭celtictiger

Octavia TDi or Corolla D4D would both be well up to the task.
    I'll look into them...thanks.

gstonesmx5 wrote:
    how many seats do you want ?
    car, estate, 4 seats + ?
    something that'll accomodate 4 passengers comfortable so I'm thinking an estate/saloon would do
    gstonesmx5 wrote:
    it has to diesel and an auto box would be best.
    Will keep this in mind, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Nissan Primera Diesel.

Nissan have bad residuals so cheap.

Jap reliability, spacious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Avensis, Octavia or Passat. I would recommend getting an automatic of whatever you are getting too, you will pick these up cheap 2nd hand as nobody in Ireland wants them too much but are ideal for someone driving for a living.

Another option is a Nissan Maxima, they are big and well equipped, should be good for 200k miles with a little care. While they were expensive new they depreciate like a stone so you should pick up a nice one for 10k, here's one for €9950...
    http://www.carzone.com/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=377952

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

94-96 Merc E300 Diesel auto is your best option. Failing that a petrol E200 will have the reliability and fewer service intervals but will use a little more gas. With the diesel you can convert it to run on veggie oil and fill up at aldi for 69cents a litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I've been planning to start driving as a hackney or maybe taxi driver and as I'm pretty useless when it comes to motors I was wondering what recommendations some of ye would have as to what (used) car I should consider getting - using performance, reliability and a price range of around 8-10k as the main criteria. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You will not get much of a Corolla D4-D for €8k-10k I'm afraid. They only came out in 2002 and any I have seen cost more than that.

I would suggest as already mentioned the Skoda Octavia TDi:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=272985

Also consider the MkI Toyota Avensis diesel:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=328702

And the VW Passat TDi:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=332720

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I'd go for Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi.Just take a look at taxi ranks and see how many of them are around

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

94-96 Merc E300 Diesel auto is your best option. Failing that a petrol E200 will have the reliability and fewer service intervals but will use a little more gas. With the diesel you can convert it to run on veggie oil and fill up at aldi for 69cents a litre.

E300 D was a right tractor of an engine. Very unrefined. The later CDI units are much better, but more expensive obviously.

E200 will be very heavy on fuel.

The diesel/auto combo someone mentioned is a rare find.

The Aldi option (assuming you are human and don't pay your excise duty on fuel) is illegal.

The Aldi option (assuming you are human and don't pay your excise duty on fuel) is illegal.

So is driving over the speed limit and yet we do it everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I think there is concensus as good as it gets here on boards :)

The usual suspects get my vote too. Octavia and Avensis most typical choice. Probably the cheapest in the long run. Other options: Passat, Vento, Primera, Mercedes W124 E-class, Mercedes W202 C-class, BMW E46 320d

All diesels. All modern engines (common rail or PD) except the two Mercedes
    The diesel/auto combo someone mentioned is a rare find

Rare on all of the above except BMW / Mercedes where they are common enough

unkel wrote:
    Rare on all of the above except BMW / Mercedes where they are common enough

I was in a 95 E300 auto diesel taxi last saturday. Was quieter than a 05 volvo i was in last week.

If i had to sit in a car for 12 hours a day i'd choose the merc over a passat/octavia. Besides merc is bigger so you got some space between yourself and the late night revellers at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I drive a jap 96 camry 2.2 turbo diesel as a taxi, fantastic car for the job, only problem is that their only available up to 98 in diesel.Still worth getting one in my opinion, Irish Camry's only come in petrol and 2.4 so heavy on juice. You can still get auto corrola's that are imports I believe, seen one last year, petrol, auto all electric for small money, way under you budget.
    I don't rate Mercedes as taxi's although their seems to be a lot of them. I don't believe the modern ones are as well built as even a 90's model and way expensive to get fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I reckon a low mileage old shape Avensis D-4D (02-03) is a great taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Irish people have a hard on for Toyotas so demand and prices can be high. Look at other Japanese make such as Mitsubishi, Mazda or Nissan. Should be just as reliable as a Toyota but cheaper.

eg
    Nissan Primera diesel
    Mitsubishi Carisma diesel
    Mazda 323 saloon diesel

Prices of old shape Avensis have dropped, so they're now reasonably good value.

116bhp D-4D engine is a beauty as well, and it's quite a nice car to drive.

Most 323 diesels are LX spec, meaning no electric windows, or CD or sunroof, or anything really!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In case you change your mind and do want something bigger, have a look at Mazda MPV's. Lots of imports around with low mileage and all the extras. (separate a/c for the rear passengers, for example)

Drove one the other week and they are actually very nice and comfy to drive, good seating position, good view from above, 2.5 Diesel and auto-box in all of them.

Looks a bit boxy and boring, though

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If i had to sit in a car for 12 hours a day i'd choose the merc over a passat/octavia

Totally agree

If I owned a taxi company with car(s) driving around 24/7 doing intergalactic miles, it (they) would be avensis

If I drove a taxi myself with no cosy, with the above budget, I'd go BMW. With a lower budget Merc

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Avensis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

You'll get an older shaped avensis TD (pre D4D) for very little money now. For a taxi/hackney you don't care about the power, etc. You want it to go and go. It's the same engine thats in the Carina E and not a lot to go wrong. I've a friend who runs 3 taxi's, all Carina E's and stratospheric mileage on them.

I'd be wary of Skodas, etc for the cost of changing their timing belts, I'm not sure how much it costs, maybe someone can confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭celtictiger

Thanks alot everyone....I appreciate all the input.....gonna be a tough choice, but at least I know what I should be looking for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If you intend doing a lot of airport runs you will need plenty of luggage space. Every second taxi in the compound at Dublin Airport seems to be an E class Merc. Quite a lot of MPV/wheelchair accessible vehicles also.

depends on how much you wanna spend really. In the lowest end of thr scale, a Camry Gracia 2.2 TD Auto would be worth a look, if you need a bit more space, a Mazda MPV as previously suggested or a Jap import Previa Auto may be an option. My (somewhat blinkered!) opinion would be to plump for something Japanese if you value reliability

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Dont bother spending huge money on a merc your using it as a Taxi, the 2.2. diesel camry auto is a good bet you wont need anything much bigger than that.

If you wanted to be really cheap go buy yoyrself an old xli corolla diesel and it will go forever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

colm_mcm wrote:
    depends on how much you wanna spend really. In the lowest end of thr scale, a Camry Gracia 2.2 TD Auto would be worth a look, if you need a bit more space, a Mazda MPV as previously suggested or a Jap import Previa Auto may be an option. My (somewhat blinkered!) opinion would be to plump for something Japanese if you value reliability

I saw one of them Camry gracia just tonight, hadn't seen that model before, is it a jap, because I thought that Toyota stopped making diesel camrys in 99.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

A mate of mine is selling a Corolla for about €2K. If you like I can find out the exact specs for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Why has no one suggested a mondeo???!? You can by a clean low mileage Mk3 TDDI 90 for the money you are talking about. It isn't the best engine as regards power, but it is a simple transit engine and should last forever. It won't depreciate much more, and is well able for 200k.

If you wan't something more powerful the old shape Avensis D4D is a good option (although for your money you are talking about it will be well over the 100k mark and just don't expect it to take the corners as well).

Buying a Merc for 8-10k isn't really a good idea if you wan't something with reasonable miles and cheap to run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

If you intend doing a lot of airport runs you will need plenty of luggage space. Every second taxi in the compound at Dublin Airport seems to be an E class Merc.

The old megane classic has a bigger boot than the e-class, or so the ads used to say!.

Advertisement