Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tattoo artistry

Options
  • 08-06-2006 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

hi i have an uncle wanting to become a tattoo artist and he asked me to find for him what qualifications are needed or if there is courses

he also wanted to know the cost of inks and guns etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Going to art school would be a good start. though most tattooist starts as apprentices in shops. Tell him to not bother with with the equipment til he's got some one to teach him or else he'll end up doing dodgy work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Start by telling him that they're only called tattoo guns in the hands of a "scratcher" and that tattoo artists call them tattoo machines.

Echo what Emmett says, you cant learn anything properly by yourself, you need a teacher, otherwise you scar people for life.

Watching a few episodes of Miami Ink is not enough.

Also does he draw all the time? Does art consume him?
    If not then why does he want to tattoo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭netanyahu

im trying to get into tattooing aswell and this is what i've learned so far....

a portfolio of art showing a range of skill
    the more the better.
    then you have to find an apprentice willing to take you on. this is the hardest part it seems, as very few tattoo artists would be unwilling to take someone under their wing if they did not live breathe and eat art..you generally dont get paid for the first few months and it is hard work but all necessary to become a tattoo artist.

best of luck hope that helped a tiny bit

btw tattoo guns range from about 400 euro , anywhere up to about 2000 +
    ebay have a good few ya should have a gander, and its recommended to practice on pig skins until you can get lines considerably straight , ie, before even attempting to do anything on a person

Advertisement