Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Requests

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

BuffyBot wrote:
    Seems almost as bad as listening to people tell you their dreams..
    There can be nothing more interesting. Dreams are the mind at its most wild and creative. I'm sorry if yours are dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    the forum will not just be dedicated to trip reports read my post on the previous page, thanks

nesf never mentioned dedication. the point raised by nesf was that a trip report wouldnt add much to the forum. i tend to agree, as people will see what they want to see, and will either focus on the glorification or the 'dont do drugs' attitude, according to what they want.

would agree to the debating the legal plausability side of the forum tho

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    the forum will not just be dedicated to trip reports read my post on the previous page, thanks

petermonaghan summed it up pretty well. Personally I'm all for this forum, it'd be nice to have a dedicated place to discuss the topic at hand, but I think it would be best if the forum was a neutral ground for discussing drugs issues (like prohibition, research, testing etc), not drug experiences themselves. If we leave people post trip reports we might as well leave them post top 10 drug lists and start discussing one drug over another for the purposes of certain effects. That's just another way of people recommending drugs for each other to try, which I don't think this forum should be a place for.

Then this is just my opinion and doesn't really carry much weight tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Then don't come in, thought that would be simple enough, obviously not for some.

Well, apart from the boredom factor. Having "trip reports" seems a bit of an oddity, especially for this kind of forum. I'm not particularily sure they are a good idea.

In reality, a forum like this either has to go all the way, or allow only certain types of dicussion. There isn't really a middle ground. boards.ie probably won't allow an "all-out" forum, and as such your option then is a restricted forum, discussing the pros-cons of drug usage, legal issues/reform etc. Which, on it's own is all very good, except it's going to be very hard to drill that into peoples skulls (disregarding the fact that the remaining topics have been and can be discussed prefectly well elsewhere).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

nesf wrote:
    What do they bring to a forum beyond providing incentives to readers to either try or avoid certain types of illegal drugs? Should the forum be a place where people could potentially come to to find suggestions for their next high?

I think that's a fair enough point; I suppose they wouldn't really add to the discussion on drugs as much as other points; if someone was discussing the pro's and con's of re-legalising Magic Mushrooms is justification going to be made through the good trip someone had and vice versa for those opposed? Surely these kinds of arguments wouldn't forward any debate, and these kind of threads, no matter how regulated, would be little more than isolated opinions (just because 20 people have a good trip and only one has a bad one doesn't mean you're 20 times more likely to have a good trip than a bad one etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I'd be against trip reports.

Discussion of drug issues rather than drugs themselves seems to be a good starting point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

can we have a drugs category, and put alcohol/tea/coffee boards as mere sub boards under the drugs umbrella? :)

it's only fair

on a serious note, not sure how I feel about trip reports. They can be interesting, but I can see def see why people are a little iffy about allowing them. I'll have to think about it before I have a definite opinion but I'm willing to go along with the majority here if they decide against them.

unless of course someone decides to censor one of *MY* trip reports, in which case = ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

CuLT wrote:

Discussion of drug issues rather than drugs themselves seems to be a good starting point.

I agree with Monsieur CuLT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

nesf never mentioned dedication. the point raised by nesf was that a trip report wouldnt add much to the forum. i tend to agree, as people will see what they want to see, and will either focus on the glorification or the 'dont do drugs' attitude, according to what they want.

Trip reports, both negative and positive can lead to some great discussion and can be very intresting IMO, of course people will see what they want but as long as its not recommending drugs or glorifying them I cant really see a problem, I'm talking factual reports rather than just writting about how amazing/terrible the experience was.

I'll go with the majority on the issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

CuLT wrote:

^^ yes.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There can be nothing more interesting. Dreams are the mind at its most wild and creative. I'm sorry if yours are dull.
    It's rarely possible to convey the "interestingness" of a dream to someone else. Similarly with trip reports - the one quoted in this thread left me cold, frankly.

But then, I'm a boring old fart that's not interesting in trying anything harder than 10-year-old Laphroaig.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Oh boy OscarBravo... are you asking for an argument with that last statement :)

I think I wouldnt like to see trip reports in the end of the day, it just wouldnt be that kind of forum I envisage. We'll see how the charter forums but Nesfs point is well taken, discussion around drugs issues rather then drugs themselves (and my first rant will be on the blanket term "drugs" too :) )

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

woohoo :D Glad to see we're making progress on the drug forum! good call devore
    DeVore wrote:
    (and my first rant will be on the blanket term "drugs" too :) )

So does that mean that alcohol will be a sub-forum? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

And maybe we can finally get the Tea / Coffee forum as a sub too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I'd be of the same frame of mind as DeV and Nesf regarding this. I've said no in the past and quite a few times, most likely because I've looked at the posters supporting it in the other thread, how they act etc. and thought that should such a forum be in place, there'd be a whole load of muppetry afoot. Just personal conclusions I've drawn.
    I'd also agree that allowing trip reports would be a bad idea, the effects of drugs vary from person to person and if one were to post something such as "feeling warm and tingly" etc, someone else could think "oh that sounds good" and go try it and find themselves having a horrible trip i.e it could influence ones decision to try(or not) certain substances.
    It'd need strict and neutral moderatorship(and quite a few I'd imagine) with such a scope for muppetry in place. I'd go so far as to say it should maybe even join the subscriber only list of forums on Boards.

However, I'm all for a forum for discussing drugs in topics such as prohibition, testing, research etc.

Now here's hoping that everyone who's made a forum request and doesn't get a prompt descision about doesn't come and moan about it in Feedback :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

rb_ie wrote:
    Now here's hoping that everyone who's made a forum request and doesn't get a prompt descision about doesn't come and moan about it in Feedback :)

Oh come on, Waiting 6 months on word is a bit much -- and DeVore accepted this and explained the reason for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

still nothing no?

Advertisement